Thai Democrats resolve to boycott February 2 election

webfact

Democrats resolve to boycott election

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party met on Saturday and resolved unanimously to boycott the February 2 snap election, former MP Apirak Kosayothin announced.

Apirak announced on his Facebook wall that the party will not field in any candidate in the election scheduled on February 2.

The party has called for delay of the election, saying the country needs political reform first. The announcement came one day before Suthep Thaugsuban, a former Democrat Party, organises a mass rally in the capital.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-21

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abhisit and the moderates lose out to the insanity that is Suthep and his backers.

As the political crisis continues to escalate its becoming obvious that Suthep will not stop until there is blood on the streets of Bangkok. There is no way the government is going to give him what he wants, the only way he can get anything like his desired unelected council is if the military conducts another coup. And the only way a coup will happen is to defuse violence street clashes that lead to bloodshed, which would give them a mandate to intervene on behalf of the Thai people.

That being said however this will be the end of the democrats as a threat to the PTP in anything resembling a "one man, one vote" election. They are plunging the country into turmoil just to spite Thaksin and his supporters.

I am no bigger fan of Thaksin than I am of Suthep and as far as I'm concerned they should find a nice quiet place in the desert outside Dubai to have it out, instead of it playing out across the streets of this country and costing the lives of innocent Thai's.

Do calm down.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Crap. sad.png

We all know what this means. We ALL know what this means.

It means that nothing changes, and that is a far worse tragedy than if either side won.

There is no emoticon for grief. The one above is sad, but grief has no picture.

It is only felt.

Same outcome as 2006.

haha so funny

they want an election - they get one - now they don't want one - they says they are "democrats' but don't believe in democracy

PTP and Thaksin must be thanking Buddha there is no sensible opposition and counter manifesto and an inept opposition. A real leader would have exposed the issues and rallied the people all Abhisit can do is say

"I'm not playing and taking my Ball home - so there!!!"

A real Leader wouldn't be hiding on the run overseas either ......giggle.gif

Crap. sad.png

We all know what this means. We ALL know what this means.

It means that nothing changes, and that is a far worse tragedy than if either side won.

There is no emoticon for grief. The one above is sad, but grief has no picture.

It is only felt.

Same outcome as 2006.

I think we are fast approaching a scenario where 2006 looks like a hugely desirable outcome, however with the power of the PTP propoganda machine and the red shirt horde they may not be willing to take a coup lying down.

There is a chance where following a military coup you merely replace Suthep's rabble rousers with the Red Shirt horde and this whole farcical merry go round begins all over again.

There needs to be concessions, either Suthep or the PTP (or both) has to back down or else this will never end.

• Like 1

haha so funny

they want an election - they get one - now they don't want one - they says they are "democrats' but don't believe in democracy

PTP and Thaksin must be thanking Buddha there is no sensible opposition and counter manifesto and an inept opposition. A real leader would have exposed the issues and rallied the people all Abhisit can do is say

A real Leader wouldn't be hiding on the run overseas either ......giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif alt=giggle.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1819233433 width=20 height=25>

we are not talking about Thaksin but the Leader of the Opposition! a completely different thing

just think about it? want's a dissolution - get's it want's an election - get's it want's a chance to expose the faults of the current government and PROVE he has the people on his side - get's it

discovers he may LOSE - so say's he won't play anymore and would rather Dear Leader run the country on behalf of the amart - it's a sad, sad day for democracy and Thailand and he will never be forgiven for being:

weak, weak, weak

Looks like another calgaryll here.

Strange there is suddenly a flurry of perception management posters.

• Like 2

haha so funny

A real Leader wouldn't be hiding on the run overseas either ......giggle.gif.pagespeed.ce.AcGRO3FsZu.gif alt=giggle.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1819233433 width=20 height=25>

we are not talking about Thaksin but the Leader of the Opposition! a completely different thing

just think about it? want's a dissolution - get's it want's an election - get's it want's a chance to expose the faults of the current government and PROVE he has the people on his side - get's it

discovers he may LOSE - so say's he won't play anymore and would rather Dear Leader run the country on behalf of the amart - it's a sad, sad day for democracy and Thailand and he will never be forgiven for being:

weak, weak, weak

No this is all about getting Thaksins hands off the puppet strings ................coffee1.gif

• Like 1

They stand united! So far, pretty much everything, they have planned, has worked in their favor. I think, soon it will be "Bye, Bye Miss Yingluck" or Yingluck runs out of luck cheesy.gif

Totally agree with that 100%.

YL and the PTP have played right into the hands of Suthep and Co every step of the way. They are far more clever, and will win this whole thing hands down.

I am willing to bet there is NO election come Feb 2nd.

Now I wait what Yingluck and her new friends at the EC have to say.

Even if they decide to go ahead and blow over 3 Bn of the tax payer's money on a one sided election, they will reap the consequences.

• Like 1

In reality, what is the point in the Dems going into the election??.....they're going to lose big time....!

Now they're going to lose bigger time!....

There cannot be an effective government without an opposition.....someone's gonna have to take the lead here....and all I can see is the impish military.....!

• Like 1