Wanting to carry stuff on my crf250l

BuffaloRescue

I just had a bit of an accident caused by hanging shopping bags on handlebars. Oops.

Now I am looking for some kind of tail bag for the bike. I already have a red metal rack i got for 500 baht but you cant really attach shopping bags to it.

Just thinking if there is some kind of cheap (so it doesnt get nicked) collapsable bag to put on the back. Collapsable because im not usually carrying stuff, and a box would really get in the way having to climb on the bike instead of being able to swing your leg over back of bike,

Any ideas?

ummm rucksack maybe…….

I had panniers on my cbr 250 and they got burned.. not fun. I have them on my ninja 650 and because of the placement of the exhaust no chance to burn those.

Panniers are good but a backpack /rucksack will do a great job too. It is just a bit less comfortable and depends on what you want to carry.

Top box is the best thing I bought for my CRF. With that and a rucksac I can bring back a trolley full from the supermarket.

I am 56 and still manage to get on and off easily, usually just stand on the footrest first.

The std silencer doesn't get very hot so I have been looking for some small soft panniers but they do not seem common here. Now looking simply to tie two bags together. A friend with a KLX is using army surplus panniers and had side supports made quite cheaply.

I put this magnet tank bag on the back of my Lifan Cross.....

http://www.crsaddlebags.com/tankbag2.html

The magnets are really strong and they stick like glue to the metal rack...no need for bungee cords, etc. It also zips up to quite a large size...and collapses down to a small size. Here is a pic of the bag on bike...

(ignore the big orange backpack--talking about the smaller black bag)

http://www.liveinasiablog.com/2013/04/touring-thailand-on-my-motorcycle-day-1/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

I was thinking of something i could leave on the bike at all times, should i suddenly want to buy something when im out.

Tank bag would get nicked. Backpack, I probably wouldnt be carrying.

You know, out and about you see something you want to buy but hadnt planned on buying something so dont have your backpack with you etc.

Maybe i need a little honda dream basket :)

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe a CRF with top box would ruin the image - but if not, it may be a solution! I have a Givi (copy I suspect given low price) that is soooooo useful. Especially for bottles of wine or other glass. I don't like carrying glass in a backpack just in case I end up sliding down the road...listening to the sound of breaking glass....and someone that sounds like me screaming "There goes the Bordeaux". sad.png

Also, security is good - not easy to steal a top box. Waterproof mostly (99.9%). Good backrest for pillion passengers, and stops them falling off when you accelerate like crazy (oh, how we laughed!). And easy to just lift it off and carry inside full of shopping in rainy weather - or if you are doing some serious dirt work and don't need it.

I have the large size top box so I can fit a full face helmet + jacket inside for when I want to wander around at some destination, but there are smaller models that may better suit the CRF image.

Top box is the best thing I bought for my CRF. With that and a rucksac I can bring back a trolley full from the supermarket.

I am 56 and still manage to get on and off easily, usually just stand on the footrest first.

The std silencer doesn't get very hot so I have been looking for some small soft panniers but they do not seem common here. Now looking simply to tie two bags together. A friend with a KLX is using army surplus panniers and had side supports made quite cheaply.

Either a box with quick release, they are very cheap, or get a plastic chopping board, drill some holes and clip it on to the mini rack using cable ties. That's what the expedition guys use.

Getting on and off, I put my leg over, but bend it at the knee to clear the bag, standing on the footrest risks the bike falling over.

My opinion....but a mate of mine has just bought one and will need something for a planning trip.

As you already have a rack. I previously bought a cheap bag the right size in a market. Removed the false plastic bottom, burned 4 holes with a soldering iron and used two bungee-type cords, then replaced the false bottom. Bit of digging and you can even find a colour to match the bike but I think mine is bluefacepalm.gif

Edited by VocalNeal