What Happened to the Farming Forum

ozzydom

A small holder in the UK is defined as land run by a single family under 50 acres ( 126 rai ).

However, I get the impression Thais think they have a farm when they have 5 rai plus.

I was looking at operating 30 rai and was considering this therefore to be a "Farm".

Maybe somebody could tell me what the definition of a farmer is in Thailand and also on the farming forum?

That is a Superb observation Cashboy, I remember a Ferang buying a bit of land for his Bargirl Wife, she then said We Farmers must stick together.!!!. Farm Workers aint Farmers, but ferangs wet their nickers over Poor Farmers, ive not met a poor Farmer in 25 Years here, plenty of Laborers admitted But then ferangs never mention the Poor from whence they came either do they.coffee1.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A small holder in the UK is defined as land run by a single family under 50 acres ( 126 rai ).

However, I get the impression Thais think they have a farm when they have 5 rai plus.

I was looking at operating 30 rai and was considering this therefore to be a "Farm".

Maybe somebody could tell me what the definition of a farmer is in Thailand and also on the farming forum?

Cashboy, can you be a bit more specific about whom you got this impression from? Obviously people you've met with some (5 Rai) land. What exactly did they say to give you this impression?

You must be fluent in Thai? Well done. Can you tell us more about this 30 Rai you were "Looking to operate"? Where is it? What type of farming were you considering?

This is what the farming forum is all about.

'And AoP, who has never met a poor Thai farmer in 25 years here. All those range rovers driven by bar girls....

I'm not sure which of these beauties I'm going to nominate for "Post of the decade".

Do we have a "Dick of the decade slot"?

Regards.

Edit. I almost forgot Soidog2, who rarely checks in but whom I see regularly....

Edited by teletiger
  • Like 2

Cashboy, can you be a bit more specific about whom you got this impression from? Obviously people you've met with some (5 Rai) land. What exactly did they say to give you this impression?

You must be fluent in Thai? Well done. Can you tell us more about this 30 Rai you were "Looking to operate"? Where is it? What type of farming were you considering?

'And AoP, who has never met a poor Thai farmer in 25 years here. All those range rovers driven by bar girls....

I'm not sure which of these beauties I'm going to nominate for "Post of the decade".

Regards.

Edit. I almost forgot Soidog2, who rarely checks in but whom I see regularly....

I only have 11rai "of land" and I've made about ฿1'270'000.(nett) per year. Yes it is a farm-in-operations, only 11 rai...

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

I also registered on Thai Visa about a year ago to read the farming in Thailand.

I will start by stating that the Thai girl I am with I have known for 2 years now. She works in Bangkok writing reports for the directors of the largest sugar cane producer/exporter so you do not think that she is a bar girl with a pickup.

Her salary for this job is only 16,000 bt per month with a proper university bachelors degree.

Her family live in Kumpawapi (Udonthani Province).

They are quite a poor family and sold half their land to send her sister to qualify as a nurse in Bangkok.

They still have somewhere between 15 and 20 rai. They don't appear to know.

I am not your normal farang that buys daft western goods to give the impression I am a rich farang which I am not.

I actually believe that farming is the future; hence my interest. I could go into a great economic explanation but won't at this time.

October 2012 I invested money (14,000 bt) in ploughing a field and extra labour for buying and planting sugar cane and chemicals.

I did do half a day of labour to see what it is all about. I drank about 4 litres of water in that time and my hands were covered in blisters.

The family sold this when about 1.5 metres high for 45,000 bt. This seems a very high return but I believe the mother and father spent a lot of time weeding the ground.

I was quite impressed when the Thai girl said that the family were giving me my 14,000 bt back plus a share of the profit.

I declined this and told them to invest this into growing and harvesting rice (about 7 rai). They normally do only 4 rai. This has just been harvested and they will keep this to feed the family and sell the excess later.

The Thai girl's father has always wanted cows and even kept the hay from the rice harvest to feed cows.

I told the Thai girl that I would invest in a couple of cows a few months back and asked her father to find one.

A couple of days ago, he has bought a cow with a 5 day calf.

This set me back 29,000 bt. Better than buying a bar girl an Iphone.

The Thai girl says they are beautiful and when gets back to Bangkok will email me the pictures.

I will post the pictures for you and you can have a laugh telling me I have been taken for a ride.

I am considering within the next 2 years selling either my UK home or Swiss home and moving to Thailand to live (50% of assets in the West and 50% in the East)

Oh; I should point out that I am 50 years old.

I have considered many business options and as I like the idea of farming was thinking of farming but also creating a co-operative in the village as I would have a reasonable amount of capital and would consider myself pretty organised.

My intentions would not be to steam into it but maybe increase her farm from say 20 Rai to 40 Rai at first and buy a 2 year old tractor (kind of toy for me and can contract her father that used to be a tractor and lorry driver/mechanic).

Her farm at the moment comprises of Sugar Cane and Rice with a couple of ponds and fruit trees.

I was thinking other crops (been reading your posts on here.....Thank You) and more fruit trees.

I am hoping to drain your brains and if invited come and visit your farm to see what it is all about.

I did meet a nice USA guy (Marc) in the village that was farming pigs and was buying rice and cleaning it.

Unfortunately he died in March this year quite quickly.

I actually always wanted to be a pig farmer.

I was shocked to hear how they kill the pigs (don't use an abattoir) and couldn't bring myself to that.

I also get the impression the pigs know when they are going to die.

That's about it now.

I really appreciated looking at the Thai farm picture thread.

I just wonder how big the farms you farang on here are operating.

Maybe I will start a thread on this.

I

Edited by Cashboy
  • Like 1

I believe that there are 3 4 sureties in life.

Death

Taxes

If it's raining, I want dry, if it's dry, my crop needs rain.

and, importantly ... change.

And it's change that sometimes we resist the most.

If we don't accept and adapt to change we will wither and die on the vine.

Same for the Farming Forum.

If we don't accept the new members into the Community, our numbers will dwindle.

New members will bring challenges and I believe the old hands can play an important role in making them feel comfortable.

But also, while it might come across negative, quite often a new member will come with his latest idea and we collectively say why that won't work. If done tactfully, it can be a great advice for the Farming newbie.

The good old days will always be ... the good old days.

Remember the past, embrace the present, and work hard and smart for the Future.

• Like 1

OK lets go back to the "good old days" for a moment, at least from my perspective. This forum gave me a lot of answers on how to pump water, issues to be aware of when buying a second hand tractor, and heaps of information about pigs. Answers to questions that inexperienced farmers ask. Much of that related to small or large scale farming and still does.

Lets concentrate on what we have in common either directly or just as an interest. In this case "Farming in Thailand" at whatever scale.

• Like 1

its called evolution , many resist change , as RB has stated you dont need a large land holding to make money from farming ... the forum works well imo as far as posts go , you read what interests you and skip over the rest ... i think members need to tolerate newbies a little more ...

I totally agree

Sorry but I'm at a loss now. Members contribute from their experience for the benefit of others. Since when is that intolerant? Change is possibly the only constant in life but not purely for its own sake. The topic is Farming. The forum belongs to us all.

Indeed this forum belong to us all

Old and new members

"We must become the change we want to see."-Gandhi

Edited by sjefrie
  • Like 1

Farming Forum is very useful specially for those students who studying agri-industrial in business subject. Before I was teaching Advertising, Marketing, Economics and Agri-Industrial subjects in the business school here in Bangkok and I was looking some information that could help to my students that related to my lesson. I really don't know that there's a Farming Forum here.

Now I stop teaching in the business school because most of my students are boys ( 16-21 years old ) and I was 28 years old that time and my students keep looking at me from head to toe while I'm teaching and I'm not comfortable with that. So I decided to stop teaching when students asked me to go out. But I'm planning to teach again to that school when I'm at age 35 so nobody will like me and nobody will look at me so that they can focus to the lesson. And I would suggest this farming forum to them.

Sorry but I'm at a loss now. Members contribute from their experience for the benefit of others. Since when is that intolerant? Change is possibly the only constant in life but not purely for its own sake. The topic is Farming. The forum belongs to us all.

Some was and always will challenge posts about anything.

It is good and it is bad the same time.

Bad, as to question one sincerity, like in Jotham79's teak thread...of course he shared HIS experience, no need to question if HIS most recent numbers and experience is real...may be there is other ways to sell, can point out, but ultimately HIS numbers ARE the REAL deal ALSO.

And good.

Challenges and questions induce thinking over, opening up new ways to see things, and room for improvement.

Of course one has to stay realistic, see his/her limitations.

Note that RBH's fish farm success isnt really about his capital in it, but mainly his accumulated contacts, for example, and such, it cant really be reproduced, doesnt matter if it seems easy or not.

Again, HIS numbers ARE the REAL deal, but everyone's experience differs, so, if some writes it isnt possible just the way it seems, it might be also a correct answer.

I wholeheartedly agree that farming isnt only about the size.

Damn, in my poor, rain fed area land start to go as high as 100.000/rai, so, trying to accumulate 150-200 rai for sugar, or cassava is OUT OF QUESTION for me, and would be out of question for many.

On the other hand, 2 rai can be perfectly fine for 200 pigs...without the same capital outlay.

This forum is source of great knowledge.

I am sure things arent as dark as they seem to be, some things change, some members change, such is life.

IssanAussie was the life of the pigs thread, but due the circumstances he has no more pigs. the knowledge is there, the reasons to just post there arent, i guess, thus the thread is somewhat dead, and i feel sorry as we raise some pigs now, and getting ready to sell soon. But can one moan about how that thread was? really?

I wouldnt think it would be fair to do.

I have great respect for OzzyDom also, but one cant stop evolution on the forum, even if miss how things used to be.

• Like 1

Perhaps starting a new thread instead of posting on existing ones woudl help. I have been off topic more times then i care to admit.

One problem I'm running into is noy gettign notifications on topcs I'm following no idea why,

I would like to see a topic on home gardening and know nothing baout. So I will start one ane see what happens.

Ray, about 'not getting notifications on a thread you were following' ... I had the same issue.

On the Fish/Shrimp thread, someone would post, and I'd not get the notification.

The Admin guys explained it as, if a topic is dormant for a period (30 days from memory) the notifications drop off.

That may or maynot be the answer to your issues.

I also registered on Thai Visa about a year ago to read the farming in Thailand.

I will start by stating that the Thai girl I am with I have known for 2 years now. She works in Bangkok writing reports for the directors of the largest sugar cane producer/exporter so you do not think that she is a bar girl with a pickup.

Her salary for this job is only 16,000 bt per month with a proper university bachelors degree.

Her family live in Kumpawapi (Udonthani Province).

They are quite a poor family and sold half their land to send her sister to qualify as a nurse in Bangkok.

They still have somewhere between 15 and 20 rai. They don't appear to know.

I am not your normal farang that buys daft western goods to give the impression I am a rich farang which I am not.

I actually believe that farming is the future; hence my interest. I could go into a great economic explanation but won't at this time.

October 2012 I invested money (14,000 bt) in ploughing a field and extra labour for buying and planting sugar cane and chemicals.

I did do half a day of labour to see what it is all about. I drank about 4 litres of water in that time and my hands were covered in blisters.

The family sold this when about 1.5 metres high for 45,000 bt. This seems a very high return but I believe the mother and father spent a lot of time weeding the ground.

I was quite impressed when the Thai girl said that the family were giving me my 14,000 bt back plus a share of the profit.

I declined this and told them to invest this into growing and harvesting rice (about 7 rai). They normally do only 4 rai. This has just been harvested and they will keep this to feed the family and sell the excess later.

The Thai girl's father has always wanted cows and even kept the hay from the rice harvest to feed cows.

I told the Thai girl that I would invest in a couple of cows a few months back and asked her father to find one.

A couple of days ago, he has bought a cow with a 5 day calf.

This set me back 29,000 bt. Better than buying a bar girl an Iphone.

The Thai girl says they are beautiful and when gets back to Bangkok will email me the pictures.

I will post the pictures for you and you can have a laugh telling me I have been taken for a ride.

I am considering within the next 2 years selling either my UK home or Swiss home and moving to Thailand to live (50% of assets in the West and 50% in the East)

Oh; I should point out that I am 50 years old.

I have considered many business options and as I like the idea of farming was thinking of farming but also creating a co-operative in the village as I would have a reasonable amount of capital and would consider myself pretty organised.

My intentions would not be to steam into it but maybe increase her farm from say 20 Rai to 40 Rai at first and buy a 2 year old tractor (kind of toy for me and can contract her father that used to be a tractor and lorry driver/mechanic).

Her farm at the moment comprises of Sugar Cane and Rice with a couple of ponds and fruit trees.

I was thinking other crops (been reading your posts on here.....Thank You) and more fruit trees.

I am hoping to drain your brains and if invited come and visit your farm to see what it is all about.

I did meet a nice USA guy (Marc) in the village that was farming pigs and was buying rice and cleaning it.

Unfortunately he died in March this year quite quickly.

I actually always wanted to be a pig farmer.

I was shocked to hear how they kill the pigs (don't use an abattoir) and couldn't bring myself to that.

I also get the impression the pigs know when they are going to die.

That's about it now.

I really appreciated looking at the Thai farm picture thread.

I just wonder how big the farms you farang on here are operating.

Maybe I will start a thread on this.

I

Now that, i don't see every day...meaning giving you a share out of your good will.

You are most welcome to visit my catfish farm in Chiang Rai anytime, I've been making millions of THB for the past 7 years...with only 11 rai. A TV member uses lesser land farming chickens and he is also making million THB per year.

Me ? No...not farang, I'm Chinese...Yellow by birth. laugh.png Now very tanned. tongue.png

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 2

I stopped following and posting, because I was teaching and far too busy. I now linger a bit, but I must admit I miss Mazefarmer's and Khaowan's, expertise. I also miss Randomchance's, and JamesCollerster's posts.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Regards.

I only have 11rai "of land" and I've made about ฿1'270'000.(nett) per year. Yes it is a farm-in-operations, only 11 rai...

Please let the rest of us know what you are growing. I have 11 rai and would be happy to even make ฿100,000 on it.

I stopped following and posting, because I was teaching and far too busy. I now linger a bit, but I must admit I miss Mazefarmer's and Khaowan's, expertise. I also miss Randomchance's, and JamesCollerster's posts.

Yes i acknowledged that too... So you reckoned we are not up to par as them...

But we are still HERE... expertise wise... we have evolved, I don't know about the rest but i think I'm on par or maybe bettered off and in terms of achievement, i did them no shame...

I'm from the Randomchance and Maizefarmer's era.............. But I'm still here ~ I'm the living proof that Farming in Thailand can make a good and wonderful living.

• Like 2

Regards.

Please let the rest of us know what you are growing. I have 11 rai and would be happy to even make ฿100,000 on it.

The REST knew...you didn't... My apology... Old Timer~

฿100'000 ????????????????????????????????????????????

I made ฿1'00'000 ten times over !

No disrespect but you got 3-4 years of reading to catch up grandpa...

You can start by reading my topic" My Catfish Farm Operation"

After that we can become friends and communicate better...

YES ! I'm proud of my achievement...Maizefarmer recognized me through PM before he retired TV. smile.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

Issangeorge, I'm very sorry for the hostile posts above, my sincere apologies to you, i think i have misread your 1st post and 2nd... Because I am really off my mark in drinking as usual tonight... and i mistaken you posts as insults...so sorry.

Luckily i can still type after one bottle of Lao Khao.... Peace !

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

RedBullHorn, I wondered why you were so hostile, I sure was not trying to insult you, I was just curious how you made so much money. I definitely was not questioning that you could make that much money. I have gone through the figures of many theocratical farms and know that money can be made. I have decided that the first thing to make money in farming or any other business in Thailand is to learn the language. The second is to make sure you have a market for what you produce the third is be willing to work very hard the forth is support from a wife, who doesn't think she knows everything and is willing to listen to the dumb farang, who also doesn't think he knows everything. And the fifth and perhaps most important is make sure you have lots of capital. It is possible to make money with limited capital, but everything has to go right, you really can't make any mistakes or have bad weather. If you have lots of capital you can make the odd mistake and learn from it and survive the odd bit of bad luck.

I really miss Mazefarmer's posts. If you have any contact with him try to talk him into coming back. One thing I try very hard to do is not criticize anybody. You are right I am an old timer and try to learn from the many mistakes I've made through the years. Being a little too argumentative was one of them. One nice thing about the farming forum is it is a forum where people try to help one another and there is not as much criticism and cynicism as other TV forums, although after being away for awhile and returning I have noticed more. Maybe that's what Ozydom was getting at when he asked "what happened to the farming forum?" I have not been that interested in fish farming, but you ha piqued my curiosity, I will have to go back and read your posts.

RedBullHorn, I wondered why you were so hostile, I sure was not trying to insult you, I was just curious how you made so much money. I definitely was not questioning that you could make that much money. I have gone through the figures of many theocratical farms and know that money can be made. I have decided that the first thing to make money in farming or any other business in Thailand is to learn the language. The second is to make sure you have a market for what you produce the third is be willing to work very hard the forth is support from a wife, who doesn't think she knows everything and is willing to listen to the dumb farang, who also doesn't think he knows everything. And the fifth and perhaps most important is make sure you have lots of capital. It is possible to make money with limited capital, but everything has to go right, you really can't make any mistakes or have bad weather. If you have lots of capital you can make the odd mistake and learn from it and survive the odd bit of bad luck.

I really miss Mazefarmer's posts. If you have any contact with him try to talk him into coming back. One thing I try very hard to do is not criticize anybody. You are right I am an old timer and try to learn from the many mistakes I've made through the years. Being a little too argumentative was one of them. One nice thing about the farming forum is it is a forum where people try to help one another and there is not as much criticism and cynicism as other TV forums, although after being away for awhile and returning I have noticed more. Maybe that's what Ozydom was getting at when he asked "what happened to the farming forum?" I have not been that interested in fish farming, but you ha piqued my curiosity, I will have to go back and read your posts.

Issangeorge, no your posts weren't insulting...my mistake in understanding the way the message was converse under the influence of alcohol, especially after a full bottle of lao khao. My sincere apology to you.

I make money like the rest, more or less is to have the hands-on experiance, getting the right stuffs that optimise results, meeting the right people, opening the right doors and some business sense. xhappy.png.pagespeed.ic.w4JpNxlSQh.png

• Like 1

Issangeorge, no your posts weren't insulting...my mistake in understanding the way the message was converse under the influence of alcohol, especially after a full bottle of lao khao. My sincere apology to you.

I make money like the rest, more or less is to have the hands-on experiance, getting the right stuffs that optimise results, meeting the right people, opening the right doors and some business sense. xhappy.png.pagespeed.ic.w4JpNxlSQh.png

That paint stripper will do that to you matetongue.png

• Like 1

Actually my dad owned a land in the Philippines and the place is full of gold, nickel and cobalt. The officials stopped the operation of the gold, nickel and cobalt in the province, invoking the 25-year mining ban which has been in effect since 2002.

I changed my mind now and wanted to do something in the land since we still have 11 years to do farming in the land. But I dont know how to start.

I am interested to know about rubber tree but its very long. Im so lazy to read all. Maybe in March I will start reading it.