Beware Christmas skimmers

Rimmer

Beware Christmas skimmers

PATTAYA:--Police and City Hall are warning expats, tourists and residents to be extra-vigilant in the season of joy because of the activities of ATM and credit card skimming rings. During the past two months gangs in several Thai cities–including Pattaya–have drained the bank accounts of foreigners from Eastern Europe. Thefts have totaled about 80 million baht a year. All banks claim to reimburse customers who have been defrauded, pointing out the cost is minor in comparison with the money they make.

An old fraud known as ATM skimming has experienced an unwelcome re-emergence. The problem is that magnetic-stripe ATM cards are vulnerable to malpractice. Thieves can use a set of devices, such as a card reader in the ATM slot or a hidden camera or a keypad, to create a duplicate of the card and access the account. The Economic Crimes Division of the Royal Thai Police says that customers should be extra careful when using ATM machines: ensure that the keypad is secure; covering it with your hand when inserting the PIN. A sign that the machine has been tampered with is if the flashing light around the card slot is not working.

Full story:http://pattayatoday.net/news/news-from-around-pattaya/beware-christmas-skimmers/

--PATTAYA TODAY 2013-12-22

• Like 1

Always best to use an ATM inside your bank or immediately outside.

Look for the warning signs and always cover the keypad with the other hand while you type in your PIN.

It's more hassle but of course you can always go into your bank and get cash over the counter.

While I have heard/read of many foreign banks refunding money stolen from accounts I have yet to hear

of a single TV member or ex-pat having money returned/refunded to their Thai bank accounts. sad.png

• Like 1

A cashier at my bank, a year ago told me not to use the cash desk for cash below 20k max from ATM machines, and use the ATM outside.

I am going back to using the cashier. I keep her in a job and the customer decides not she. I always get cash once a week during bank hours..

I dont work so got plenty of time so no need for ATMs.

Oooooo I've gone all macho.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Use the ATM in the afternoon. Nothing is foolproof but some skimmers place their readers in the evening and collect in the early morning. Use busy ATM's, not those in quiet locations. Again just improving the odds slightly.

A cashier at my bank, a year ago told me not to use the cash desk for cash below 20k max from ATM machines, and use the ATM outside. I am going back to using the cashier. I keep her in a job and the customer decides not she. I always get cash once a week during bank hours.. I dont work so got plenty of time so no need for ATMs. Oooooo I've gone all macho. Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"A cashier at my bank, a year ago told me not to use the cash desk for cash below 20k max from ATM machines, and use the ATM outside."

Scratched a bald-patch on my head here. What does that mean, please?

Slightly off topic but my Bank, Bangkok Bank, are now offering the more secure Be1st Smart Card.

There is a chip in there rather than using a magnetic strip.

They say..

You can confidently make financial transactions at more than 8,500 Bangkok Bank ATMs nationwide.

But are ATM machines that can use these widely available...... seems like the banks around here are still using the same old machines as before, or is the modification not obvious?

Perhaps there is a magnetic strip on them too Haha!!

Edited by jacko45k