Americans. Which American bank is best to use in Thailand?

Good comprehensive advice and answers offered by Pib here...

I'll just add one footnote re the process of setting up a U.S. to Thailand online transfer capacity via Bangkok Bank and their New York branch.

You'll use the BKKB New York routing number as listed on the BKKB web link Pib posted above, and then the full BKKB local account number, when you enter those two details into your U.S. account's linking setup information.

That typically will result in your U.S. bank sending a pair of small trial deposits to your BKK Bank account, which will arrive there in Thailand converted to baht.

In order to confirm the online link on the U.S. end with your sending bank's online banking, you'll need to verify the two trial deposit amounts in U.S. cents -- not the baht amounts that will show up in your BKK Bank account and their online banking.

So, once the two trial deposits post to your BKK Bank account, you'll need to call BKK Bank's main customer service number, give them your account info, and ask them to give you the original sending currency amounts. Then you'll use those two small amounts in cents to confirm the accounts link in your U.S. account's online banking.

I believe you can also set up your BKK Bank account to send an SMS to your Thai mobile number any time a foreign deposit is made, and that message will contain those same details. But I always have just called BKKB and gotten the cents amounts over the phone.

All correct. Thanks. Used this method successfully.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic