Which Brand Scooter

JimSiam

I was talking with the bike shop near me last night about what my 9 year old Yamaha Nuovo is worth, 9,000 baht was their guess which was backed up by Mityons valuation. The other issue he mentioned is parts for older Yamaha and Suzuki are hard to get and all parts are expensive. Honda retain their value a lot better and a 9 year old manual wave would be worth more than the Nuovo.

There are also a lot of after market parts for Hondas if you choose to go that way, very rare for the other two brands.

Feel a bit happier now I have a click, even though it is not as nice to ride, there are a few things I dont like about it, like when i hit a bump and having long legs my knee hits the ignition key and turns it off, which can be very dangerous, the foot pegs for the passenger are poorly located as any slow manouvering my heels hit them when feet on the ground, the steering also is very twitchy and it follows road contours, which the Nuovo didnt, the small front wheel I think is the blame here. It does use less gasoline than the Nuovo though.

There are also a lot of after market parts for Hondas if you choose to go that way, very rare for the other two brands.

Hmmm. Yamaha Fino seems to be the most modified scooter even up to 300 cc, certainly 180. So after market parts are out there.

Does the old Nuovo have the same engine as a Fino?

As of 2008, Nouvo is still the best selling moped-like motorcycle in the Southeast Asia region especially in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.[citation needed]

Best reasonably priced scooter, Click 125cc. Or the Yamaha equivalent if you like it better.

Even better, Honda SH150 if money not an issue.

Other bikes are not true flat footrest, or are underbone, and cannot really compare to these

Do not think too much into used value. There are bazillion bikes in Thailand, that get replaced frequently, used bikes loose value quickly and there is nothing you can do about excpet buying used in first place.

Edited by paz

If you want to sell your scooter always try selling it private, the shop buying your scooter also have to earn money.

We sold our Fino earlier this year and we got about 4-5000 baht more by selling it private compared to what 2 dealers offered us (swap for new scooter), Mityons was highest bidder of the 2 dealers we tried.

As for which scooter to buy, hmm, well I am biased but I have a pcx150 and I really like it.

Jim, you nailed it when citing the value of larger diameter wheels vs. potholes.

Nouvo @ 16" vs. all others @ 14".

The extra horizontal brace on the Nouvo (vs. the flat floor on Click or Mio) stiffens the frame a lot, too.

I recently sold my Elegance, which I really liked, and acquired a slightly used (1800km.) SX.

Much nicer: way better fuel economy, much better/brighter headlight, electronic display provides trip odometer and fuel economy, rear turn signal design less prone to damage, and has the kill switch on the kick stand.

The previous owner had fitted it with 15,000baht of aftermarket bling.

I am very pleased. There are good reasons why Nouvo rules in CVT sales numbers.

If after 9 years, an underbone Wave 4-speed (best selling motor vehicle in the world and Thailand) brings in an extra $100 or so in resale, no biggie.

Ride safe!

Edited by papa al

Jim, you nailed it when citing the value of larger diameter wheels vs. potholes.

Nouvo @ 16" vs. all others @ 14".

The extra horizontal brace on the Nouvo (vs. the flat floor on Click or Mio) stiffens the frame a lot, too.

I recently sold my Elegance, which I really liked, and acquired a slightly used (1800km.) SX.

Much nicer: way better fuel economy, much better/brighter headlight, electronic display provides trip odometer and fuel economy, rear turn signal design less prone to damage, and has the kill switch on the kick stand.

The previous owner had fitted it with 15,000baht of aftermarket bling.

I am very pleased. There are good reasons why Nouvo rules in sales numbers.

If after 8 years a Wave (best selling motor vehicle in the world and Thailand) brings in an extra $100 or so in resale, no biggie.

Ride safe!

I agree with all of the above. I bought a used 2012 Yamaha Nouvo SX 2 months ago and I am very happy with it. It is well made.

Hmmm. Yamaha Fino seems to be the most modified scooter even up to 300 cc, certainly 180. So after market parts are out there.

It is very well modified, but they are bolt on bits you are talking about, the panels and switches etc are not copied much if at all with Yamaha, drop a fino and find out, you can easily be up for 30,000 baht in plastic. Honda you can buy a complete set of panels for under 10,000 baht for no OE stuff