Maltese Man Beaten Up By 7 Motorbike Taxi Riders

Rimmer

My wife owns two motorbike taxi queues in Pattaya with ten drivers (a mix of local Thais and from Issan) paying a monthly rental. Two of her brothers are motorbike taxi drivers, both of whom have paid off their family houses from their income. On an average the driver’s net monthly income is greater than the current minimum wage of 9,000 baht a month with no tax, plus their wife’s working income. To say these people are lowest of the low in Thai society is absolute rubbish.

None of my wife’s Thai rental customers have ever been involved with violence against foreigners, even though some foreigners are rude and try to avoid paying the full fare. If an incident of violence were to be committed by one of the drivers her queue licences are registered with the police (as are all queue license holders) so they could easily be tracked down.

The amateur social scientists in this topic are just that.

EDIT: Some members of my wifes family also license beach chair concessions in Jomtien, have you ever observed how much Thais spend on food and drinks, sometimes a lot more than foreigners.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 1

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife owns two motorbike taxi queues in Pattaya with ten drivers (a mix of local Thais and from Issan) paying a monthly rental. Two of her brothers are motorbike taxi drivers, both of whom have paid off their family houses from their income. On an average the driver’s net monthly income is greater than the current minimum wage of 9,000 baht a month with no tax, plus their wife’s working income. To say these people are lowest of the low in Thai society is absolute rubbish.

None of my wife’s Thai rental customers have ever been involved with violence against foreigners, even though some foreigners are rude and try to avoid paying the full fare. If an incident of violence were to be committed by one of the drivers her queue licences are registered with the police (as are all queue license holders) so they could easily be tracked down.

EDIT: Some members of my wifes family also license beach chair concessions in Jomtien, have you ever observed how much Thais spend on food and drinks, sometimes a lot more than foreigners.

Amateur? You are being way too generous.

back home these 7 thugs would have been charged with attempted murder but in Thailand when the victims is a farang

they can scam you, rob you, beat you, rape you, stab you and murder you without consequences and the whole population is well aware of itl...

but in the other hand if a foreigner is guilty of any tiny offenses, for thai police its jackpot. So they will launch a manhunt, drag you in front of the journalist, throw you in jail and extort money as much as they can from you... And later the police will hold a press conference claimings that more criminal are coming to thailand.

Imagine if it was 7 Westerners who attacked a lone Thai in such a manner.

Hmmm. A gang of English thugs attacking an Asian. That would never happen would it? whistling.gif

back home these 7 thugs would have been charged with attempted murder but in Thailand when the victims is a farang

they can scam you, rob you, beat you, rape you, stab you and murder you without consequences and the whole population is well aware of itl...

but in the other hand if a foreigner is guilty of any tiny offenses, for thai police its jackpot. So they will launch a manhunt, drag you in front of the journalist, throw you in jail and extort money as much as they can from you... And later the police will hold a press conference claimings that more criminal are coming to thailand.

Hmmm. A gang of English thugs attacking an Asian. That would never happen would it? whistling.gif

Not in Thailand.

Not in Thailand.

And I doubt a gang of Thai thugs would attack an Englishman in England. Xenophobia, thuggery and racism exists everywhere, although some posters seem to think it is uniquely Thai!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Dont matter, they are lowest in Thai society, and they will be until they die.

And that is what brings a smile to my face whenever I read stories like this. The guy they attacked will heal and go on with his life, which is probably a good one. But these scum bags, as you said, they will still be the lowest in Thai society, until the day they die. These 7 animals simply deserve the life of wretchedness that has been handed to them.

If these 'scum bags' wanted to jump a rung or two on Thailand's social step ladder, they could always start renting out jet-skis on Pattaya Beach.

Not in Thailand.

And I doubt a gang of Thai thugs would attack an Englishman in England. Xenophobia, thuggery and racism exists everywhere, although some posters seem to think it is uniquely Thai!

say that to the family of Luke Mitchell.

Followed by 3 three Thais until alone and then set upon 3 on 1 and stabbed to death, in Australia.

• Like 1

Sure it would, but it wouldn'y be 7 on duty taxi drivers gang beating a man with weapons for the crime of being abusive to an inanimate object. rolleyes.gif

Then maybe fined 10 pounds and back to their taxi rank the next day for their shift.

Edited by 1ma
  • Like 1

My wife owns two motorbike taxi queues in Pattaya with ten drivers (a mix of local Thais and from Issan)

To say these people are lowest of the low in Thai society is absolute rubbish.

None of my wife’s Thai rental customers have ever been involved with violence against foreigners, even though some foreigners are rude and try to avoid paying the full fare.

Congrats on your wifes successful business.

Most motorbike taxiguys are drunk, and most use yaba. For a tourist walking the streets in Pattaya, only street vendors are more dangerous, than taxiguys.

Of course your wives taxiboys are nice guys, not like most others. It must true, because your wife told you so.

• Like 1

My wife owns two motorbike taxi queues in Pattaya with ten drivers (a mix of local Thais and from Issan)

None of my wife’s Thai rental customers have ever been involved with violence against foreigners, even though some foreigners are rude and try to avoid paying the full fare.

Most motorbike taxiguys are drunk, and most use yaba. For a tourist walking the streets in Pattaya, only street vendors are more dangerous, than taxiguys.

Of course your wives taxiboys are nice guys, not like most others. It must true, because your wife told you so.

And from your post I would imagine you've never set foot in Thailand, let alone met any Thai people! But don't let that stop your racist generalisations!

Uneduacted, peasant Thai males with massive chips on their shoulder... only beaten in size by their delicate ego, inferiority complex, repressed anger and resentment. sick.gif

Who can act like savages against those they despise and resent, with impunity. sick.gif

Beautiful people. rolleyes.gif

Edited by 1ma
  • Like 1

Actually, they are beautiful people. Every Thai I have had opportunity to interact with (taxi drivers, bus drivers, vendors, ordinary people, educated and uneducated) has responded in kind when treated decently and as fellow human beings. Qualifier...they don't always gush with excitement when I deal with them but they are always decent. Just because some do not act decently doesn't deserve resorting to name-calling and gross overgeneralizations. As I have said before, Thais do not have a corner on the ability to be mean people, not by a long stretch.

• Like 1

Actually, they are beautiful people. Every Thai I have had opportunity to interact with (taxi drivers, bus drivers, vendors, ordinary people, educated and uneducated) has responded in kind when treated decently and as fellow human beings.

I hope you will never have a disagreement with these beautiful people! I hope you do what they tell you, and pay what is required.

Good luck, friend.

• Like 1

And from your post I would imagine you've never set foot in Thailand, let alone met any Thai people! But don't let that stop your racist generalisations!

If you remember, the police did drug tests on random groups a few years ago and it was a staggering number, something like 60% of them failed the test. It is in the news somewhere on this site, look it up. They did the same for baht bus drivers. I don't know why the police don't continue these tests every day, but instead they just let them run wild, loaded up on whatever is their poison of choice. The bad apples of public transportation really need to go. They have no business being around tourists or driving anyone around.

• Like 1

Most motorbike taxiguys are drunk, and most use yaba. For a tourist walking the streets in Pattaya, only street vendors are more dangerous, than taxiguys. Of course your wives taxiboys are nice guys, not like most others. It must true, because your wife told you so.

I personally know most of the motorbike taxi drivers working in the queues owned by my wife, many of them for years, they are not drunks, nor use YaBa and yes they are nice guys. I do know that some other drivers drive DUI and use YaBa.

Both you and 1ma constantly indulge in very disparaging generalisations of Thais in this topic and sneer at replies that counter your generalised negativety; what's your agenda?

None really, just educating people to the realities of Thailand and Thais, and thus possibly saving them from being set upon by a gang of angry simpleton savages that may cost them their life, over something completely nondescript. :)

Most motorbike taxiguys are drunk, and most use yaba. For a tourist walking the streets in Pattaya, only street vendors are more dangerous, than taxiguys. Of course your wives taxiboys are nice guys, not like most others. It must true, because your wife told you so.

I personally know most of the motorbike taxi drivers working in the queues owned by my wife, many of them for years, they are not drunks, nor use YaBa and yes they are nice guys. I do know that some other drivers drive DUI and use YaBa.

Both you and 1ma constantly indulge in very disparaging generalisations of Thais in this topic and sneer at replies that counter your generalised negativety; what's your agenda?

None really, just educating people to the realities of Thailand and Thais, and thus possibly saving them from being set upon by a gang of angry simpleton savages that may cost them their life, over something completely nondescript. smile.png

It's no excuse, but the local Pattaya radio reported that the guy had made comments to the group that attacked him. It would be a lot more constructive for you to pass informed commentary on what not to do in a street situation in places such as Pattaya rather than blanket negativity, such as your post above. Unfortunately attacks on foreigners are a fact of life, but when considering the millions of foreign tourists arriving every year in Pattaya, relatively rare.

I last lived in SE Queensland, a major beachside Australian & traveller tourist destination & street violence was common. I personally witnessed a middle aged man hit in the head with a glass bottle by a young white Australian male, who was part of a group, when responding (verbally) to an insult to his wife walking down the street. There are arse@#%$ in every country.

Edited by simple1

None really, just educating people to the realities of Thailand and Thais, and thus possibly saving them from being set upon by a gang of angry simpleton savages that may cost them their life, over something completely nondescript. smile.png

Unfortunately attacks on foreigners are a fact of life, but when considering the millions of foreign tourists arriving every year, relatively rare.

Not that rare at all.

And it isn't the rarity (or lack of it), it is the nature of the Thai pack-gang stomp down with any weapon close to hand against a lone foreigner, over something seen as completely nondescript in any civilized society, with the Thais then going completely unpunished for beating/stabbing the lone Westerner, and thus free to continue doing it without any accountability or repurcusions.

Take the 70 yr old German who was stabbed last month because he and a 19 yr old Thai man brushed past eachother in the busy street. A 500b fine and on your way to the Thai, for stabbing a 70 yr old man over nothing. Who's no doubt still walking around with his blade knowing that he can stab another foreigner and get away with it, while sedating his ego.

These are the issues at hand.

Edited by 1ma
  • Like 1

Not that rare at all.

And it isn't the rarity (or lack of it), it is the nature of the Thai pack-gang stomp down with any weapon close to hand against a lone foreigner, over something seen as completely nondescript in any civilized society, with the Thais then going completely unpunished for beating/stabbing the lone Westerner, and thus free to continue doing it without any accountability or repurcusions.

Take the 70 yr old German who was stabbed last month because he and a 19 yr old Thai man brushed past eachother in the busy street. A 500b fine and on your way to the Thai, for stabbing a 70 yr old man over nothing. Who's no doubt still walking around with his blade knowing that he can stab another foreigner and get away with it, while sedating his ego.

These are the issues at hand.

As mentioned in other topics the penalties & offences defined in the Thai Criminal Code, as well as criteria for granting bail, are long overdue for review and update of the legislation.

EDIT: Perhaps impossible to acheive, but to jail any RTP who accept gratuities to write reports for the police prosecutors that lessen the nature of offences; this mechanism is utilised by Thais and foreigners

Edited by simple1

There is something to say about both of these opinions.

First let me say that I have lived in Thailand since 1998 in various locations, from north to south and central to north east. Let me be the 'amateur social scientist' once again. I have been observing Thais and their culture for over 15 years, trying to get a proper picture and understand what's going on exactly but there are still many things a farang will never understand, even if you do speak Thai and are totally integrated in Thai society. The Western mind can simply not understand the Eastern mind completely. It's difficult to be objective because of personal agenda's, experiences, bigotry, short-sightedness and the likes.

I have never been in 1 fight with a Thai as long as I've been here, though I've been in a few with other farangs. Saying that though, the only reason why I've never been in a fight with a Thai male(s) (there have been a few with the opposite sex wink.png ) is because I always tried to avoid this(it was very difficult at times) because I was always aware that they never fight alone. I knew this from day 1. Back in 98 I saw a group of MC taxi drivers beating a guy up in Ekkamai and a Thai friend at the time explained this is the way Thai people fight. To me it always seemed quite cowardly, because where I am from only cowards fight like that. Here it is totally accepted though, by the lower classes, like OMGPattaya mentioned before. They will never attack a higher Thai person, also because the Thai person will not insult them or shout at them. There is a silent mutual agreement going on between the higher and lower Thais. It's true that they take their anger, resentment and jealousy out on the only people 'lower' than them; farangs. Or a lone Thai 'wacko' that started hammering away at the Erawan shrine(2006). It's also true that they do this because there will be no repercussions from the person beaten up or from the cops. Like Simple said earlier; mostly Thais are nice people but of course there are some rotten apples here too and sadly enough they do seem to congregate around the tourist areas like Kao San, Sukhumwit, Patpong, Pattaya, Samui and Phuket. If one never visits these tourist areas they are more likely never to see this kind of behaviour. Since I stopped going to these places myself I rarely see this kind of savage acts. Of course there is violence everywhere in the world and also in more quiet areas of Thailand but it is less in your face. These acts of barbarism do mostly occur in the tourist areas because these areas also attract the more seedy characters trying to make a quick buck of the 'rich farangs', so it's understandable why the farangs who live in the tourist areas are more confronted with the greedy, aggressive and short-sighted Thais than the farangs who live out in rural 'quiet' Thailand and therefore hold different opinions about Thailand and Thais. It's almost like comparing apples to oranges.

I do believe though that Thai tourism will suffer in the end because of all these negative stories that seem to keep happening to tourists/farangs all around tourist Thailand. There should be more justice in these areas. The cops should arrest every single scumbag responsible for giving Thailand a bad name, instead of only thinking about their own pockets and send them away for a long time. It's the only deterrence in Thailand. Local entrepreneurs should set up their own security companies that have the authority to survey and where necessary intervene in problem situations. The Tourist Police in force now is a joke. If tourism is your major income then why not protect it better? Why do these things not happen in the Maldives and Bali for example? Because the locals are too well aware that tourists are their only source of income and if they were to lose them they would be cast back to agriculture and a 'lower standard' of life again.

The list of negative stories about cheating and abuse towards farangs and tourists alike is growing and growing and TAT must be aware of this too but don't really know how to solve these problems either. It's not only violence but there is also a major litter and garbage problem in tourist areas.

Greed and corruption play a large part in solving these problems.

On a higher note I think that these problems are connected to the ongoing social problems that have been materializing over the last few years due to a growing dissatisfaction amongst the lower incomes and their realization that they are being treated in a very unfair way by the higher class.

A happy 2014 to all TV readers, posters and trolls. Let's be careful out there xpartytime2.gif.pagespeed.ic.EHpb_n75Bh.

Sad what makes news these days.

My only comment to this thread is that Pattaya and Phuket are ghettos. And while I do not condone violence against others in any fashion one is clearly a product of their environment. The scenario with this guy is clearly not the first (as we all know and read on TV) and most certainly will not be the last. In fact there will be another just like it tomorrow and the day after and the day after that. Its daily life in Pattaya and Phuket.

People should use common sense where they plan on living unless they want to risk their personal well beings. Its no different than anywhere else in the world. A little bit of research goes a long way. Why anyone would become an expat and live in either of those 2 places is beyond me. Maybe its the golf courses......Who knows.smile.png