Maltese Man Beaten Up By 7 Motorbike Taxi Riders

Rimmer

More than likely as Twyais said maybe they had a scanner on it why else would they bother. All in all they were a cowardly bunch. in performing their civic duty they could have restrained him and called the police if it bothered them that much.

• Like 1

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...but considering the quality of the average farang in Pattaya, more likely he was using a stolen or forged card and the machine confiscated it and he got pissed as the jig was up.

So you think a guy who uses a cloned atm card, draws attention to himself, by slamming and kicking the ATM, after the machine doesn't return the cloned, or stolen card? You don't really believe that, do you?

Why are you defending these 7 men, who were using steel bars to severely beat up an unarmed tourist?

You are not this dumb, I KNOW you aren't.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is there a single word or idea in the text you quote "defending" the violence that occurred? When you read the totality of my posts re this incident then get back to me with an intelligent response. Until then, just continue with the cheap ad-hominem attacks.

valgehir said:

Why are you defending these 7 men, who were using steel bars to severely beat up an unarmed tourist?
You are not this dumb, I KNOW you aren't

As I know I'll be flamed for my previous post, I may as well confront this head on. I'm not defending the Thais involved any more than I would defend the Swede who stabbed a Kiwi to death about a year or so ago in Patts. All of the above are scum - the Swede couldnt win in the earlier fist fight so he pulled a knife - but we all know exactly how it will go down when you take on a Thai who has his mates with him. There are zero surprises here - he wasnt confronted by one guy who had to call up his friends, he was confronted by a group and stupidly reacted. If my earlier analogy seems insulting, its probably more insulting to the warthog - a creature with superb survival instincts - than the Maltese fellow. I have little doubt that he will react very differently next time, assuming he doesnt simply leave the country.

Our departed Kiwi friend went out into the Soi believing it would be a fair fight, and it was one-on-one. What he didn't count on was the fact that some Westerners threw away the 'rule book' a very long time ago - checkout some of the Krav Maga vids on Youtube for an example of what is currently being taught as 'self defense'.

• Like 1

How hard is it to contact the bank that owns the ATM, do they not have a call center or he couldn't go the following business day, rather than beat on a machine? I have no sympathy for this guy and he got what he deserved.

I believe the usual process is to go to a branch of the bank and they in turn contact their ATM tech who goes and grabs the card which can be redeemed from the bank on production of valid ID. I once had mine swallowed by an ATM near a 7-11 and I went into the shop and even the assistants did the phoning around for me (inbetween their "BEEEP BOOONG...."Chern Ka..." routine.

...but considering the quality of the average farang in Pattaya, more likely he was using a stolen or forged card and the machine confiscated it and he got pissed as the jig was up.

So you think a guy who uses a cloned atm card, draws attention to himself, by slamming and kicking the ATM, after the machine doesn't return the cloned, or stolen card? You don't really believe that, do you?

Is there a single word or idea in the text you quote "defending" the violence that occurred? When you read the totality of my posts re this incident then get back to me with an intelligent response. Until then, just continue with the cheap ad-hominem attacks.

Defending the violence no,, condoning it yes. You are basically attacking the poor guy who was attacked by saying he should have known better etc, etc, etc.. What you should be doing is shouting "this is wrong, no matter what he did to the cashpoint it is not right". IF he did some criminal damage then he should be dealt with by the law not a bunch of tooled up, vigilante locals.

Stop creating doubt on this simple issue before it becomes so bad here that Thai thugs believe they can quite literally kill us (foreigners) for trivial things and get away with it. You liver here too I assume.

• Like 1

I don't know, hard to judge from these news reports what the full tale is!

They are hardly known for their accuracy.

So many questions.

Why has the guy not got a shirt on, in the police station of all places?

Cold in Pattaya at 4am these days.

Why did he need more money at that time when out with the wife?

Why did the motorcycle taxi guys have a collection of steel pipes and pieces of wood handy.

Are we to assume the victim did not shout abuse at them after they told him to be quiet as they were trying to sleep, when he was already in a fight with an inanimate object?

Do ATM cards have hands now.... that they seize cards, or was it retained as a security control.

Did the M/C taxi guy look over his shoulder?

Some people can't handle their drink......punters and M/C taxi guys.

Edited by jacko45k

valgehir said:

As I know I'll be flamed for my previous post, I may as well confront this head on. I'm not defending the Thais involved any more than I would defend the Swede who stabbed a Kiwi to death about a year or so ago in Patts. All of the above are scum - the Swede couldnt win in the earlier fist fight so he pulled a knife - but we all know exactly how it will go down when you take on a Thai who has his mates with him. There are zero surprises here - he wasnt confronted by one guy who had to call up his friends, he was confronted by a group and stupidly reacted. If my earlier analogy seems insulting, its probably more insulting to the warthog - a creature with superb survival instincts - than the Maltese fellow. I have little doubt that he will react very differently next time, assuming he doesnt simply leave the country.

Our departed Kiwi friend went out into the Soi believing it would be a fair fight, and it was one-on-one. What he didn't count on was the fact that some Westerners threw away the 'rule book' a very long time ago - checkout some of the Krav Maga vids on Youtube for an example of what is currently being taught as 'self defense'.

Oh my goodness, what are you saying? Stop trying to muddy the waters by subtly insinuating that the "westerners" threw out the rulebook some time ago.

It seems you really are as dumb as you appear. As I have previously stated what happened was wrong! No more discussion should be needed. It doesn't matter what this guy did to the cashpoint machine,, even if he damaged it the law should deal with him not a group of thug vigilantes with weapons.

You need to wake up and stop condoning this kind of behavior before it is too late and every thug thinks it's ok to do to foreigners whatever they like. With foreigners like you saying "well he should have known better" and "even a warthog has survival instincts" is crazy talk and doesn't help. This guy could have been killed, next time it could be you, or your best friend or whoever, so stop talking nonsense.

They now need to answer to the "law" for what they did and I hope that the CCTV footage provides appropriate evidence. Frankly the nonsense I read on here from you and a few others is pretty disgusting, you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I hope the guy recovers quickly.

• Like 2

Defending the violence no,, condoning it yes. You are basically attacking the poor guy who was attacked by saying he should have known better etc, etc, etc.. What you should be doing is shouting "this is wrong, no matter what he did to the cashpoint it is not right". IF he did some criminal damage then he should be dealt with by the law not a bunch of tooled up, vigilante locals.

Stop creating doubt on this simple issue before it becomes so bad here that Thai thugs believe they can quite literally kill us (foreigners) for trivial things and get away with it. You liver here too I assume.

If you actually look at the original post I was replying to in this instance, it was speculating as to what possessed the man to pick a fight with an ATM machine. I offered more speculation on the matter. The beating was never discussed so how is this defending or condoning it?

Not only is there a single word, all your posts in this thread are justifying how these 7 thugs beating the tourist with steel bars, were doing the right thing.

And maybe drop this Latin shit, 'ad hominem' is an over used, cliche Latin term, with one purpose only, to make poster sound 'cultured',

try not to use it, it is something that illiterate boy from Alabama would use, to impress his half sister.

Not only is there a single word, all your posts in this thread are justifying how these 7 thugs beating the tourist with steel bars, were doing the right thing.

And maybe drop this Latin shit, 'ad hominem' is an over used, cliche Latin term, with one purpose only, to make poster sound 'cultured',

try not to use it, it is something that illiterate boy from Alabama would use, to impress his half sister.

Well now you have lost all credibility as its clear from my posts that I've said just the opposite. I had thought at one time that you were one of the few thoughtful posters in the Pattaya sub-forum but I can see now I was wrong. So I can safety put you in my ignore column and you can continue your personal attacks on people rather than addressing their arguments.

• Like 2

Thank you!

I find it repulsive that some posters feel the tourist who lost his atm card, can be blamed in any way at all, for what happened to him. He was beaten half to death. One hit with an iron bar to the temple area can very easily kill a man.

There are always some posters who say he must have desrved it. But coming from tv member OMG, it is such a dissappointment.

I understand some posters are bored, they post provocative stuff, aka trolling, but from some users, users you like and respect, you just dont expect that level of cruelty.

Yes,.. that sounds more plausible.

Why would 7 taxi drivers be so motivated to beat up a crazy farang who was attacking an ATM unless they had some vested interest?

4am,... and 7 taxi bike drivers all happen to be watching over an ATM and could care less that a farang was attacking the ATM. ?

Perhaps they were more concerned that his "attack" attempts would dislodge their "property" (ie. card scanner/capture device)?

Possible...but considering the quality of the average farang in Pattaya, more likely he was using a stolen or forged card and the machine confiscated it and he got pissed as the jig was up.

...so according to you, even though it is "likely" that he was attempting to use a "stolen or forged" card, he would still report the matter to the police, right?

Any credibility you had in defending the thugs for beating this guy up was lost as soon as you started embellishing the incident with such nonsensical theoretical add-ons...!!

You just need to hope that the guy isn't a TV member himself, since there is a strong likelihood that if he were to read your accusation, he would be demanding a trace on your location so that he can sue you for defamation.

Well now you have lost all credibility as its clear from my posts that I've said just the opposite. I had thought at one time that you were one of the few thoughtful posters in the Pattaya sub-forum but I can see now I was wrong. So I can safety put you in my ignore column and you can continue your personal attacks on people rather than addressing their arguments.

I am sorry to dissapoint you. Put me in whatever column you feel like.

If you actually look at the original post I was replying to in this instance, it was speculating as to what possessed the man to pick a fight with an ATM machine. I offered more speculation on the matter. The beating was never discussed so how is this defending or condoning it?

I'm sorry, but that's simply not true.

In one of your earlier posts on this thread (referring to a theory that you have) you stated that there was nothing wrong with a farang getting a few bruises...!!

• Like 1

When Thais start laying into Farang completely without provocation - or an obvious financial motive - I'll accept some of the 'they want to kill us!' hysteria in this thread. Even the recent thread about the baht bus driver attacking a TV board member was instigated by a fare dispute - the TVer was punched in the mouth over 10 baht. Minimal provocation, but even he admitted that he saw it coming.

Do I think the people responsible should be in jail ? Of course I do. Do I think Thais everywhere should be tarred with the same brush. No, I dont. TV is all about stereotyping people - Thai and Farang alike - whilst foaming at the mouth. We've had this same thread how many times over the last year or so ? Same thread, same hysteria, same to-and-fro BS. Anyone trying to present an alternative viewpoint is branded a shameless apologist - or simply a nitwit - and flamed mercilessly.

Carry flame on.

• Like 2

These guys will find any excuse they can to pound a farang.

100% correct ...its just below the surface ....have seen them run to join melees ..they dont know what caused it but they just want to get into it ...though this bloke is an obvious tosser .... yes it would be a pisser losing your card but smashing the machine is a no no ....

Sadly, this sort of behaviour is promoted and endorsed by the antidemocratic demonstrators in Bangkok. The police are bad and vigilantes are good. I think these types of beatings will increase with the continued ignorance in Thailand of the rule of law and the general acceptance to take the law into your own hands and interpret it which ever way suits you.

• Like 1

It seems there are some key details missing from this snooze-worthy bit of a summary written by a Thai in vague if not misleading language. Inserted somewhere in the story could be that the motorcycle taxi drivers had had enough of witnessing scads of aging farang men parade their mia chao (rented wives) around and act as if they own the joint. Their so-called wives are women who are or were sometimes barely legal and are often young enough to be their daughters or even granddaughters. These are women who are likely calling to and banking on their faen/saamii farang in other provinces or perhaps right around the corner. These are women who were almost certainly trafficked into the commercial sex industry from a young age, thus rendering them with diminished capacity in all respects, save the ability to stroke a needy ego. Does not anyone else wonder what a 48-year-old man is doing with a 26-year-old wife, or a girlfriend that much younger relative to him, aside from what would possess him to have a go at an ATM and what would spur the group of taxi drivers to have a go at him?

So these lowlifes have had enough of watching foreigners with the local women ? Thats their problem. Have they had enough of all the income they get from delivering and picking up Thai ladies from their rendezvous with a foreigner ? Whats a 48 year old male doing with a 26 year old Thai lady ? Having a good time. And if you are one of these do gooders who object. to that. I have one question for ya all : What are you doing in Pattaya ?

And as far as respect ? Thats given when indicated.The best I can do is to ignore these lowlfes.

Edited by morrobay

I'm sorry, but that's simply not true.

In one of your earlier posts on this thread (referring to a theory that you have) you stated that there was nothing wrong with a farang getting a few bruises...!!

Being argumentative to stir the pot...and to expose the hypocrisy of many Pattaya forum posters. I stated my true views in later posts. Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Yes,.. that sounds more plausible.

Why would 7 taxi drivers be so motivated to beat up a crazy farang who was attacking an ATM unless they had some vested interest?

4am,... and 7 taxi bike drivers all happen to be watching over an ATM and could care less that a farang was attacking the ATM. ?

Perhaps they were more concerned that his "attack" attempts would dislodge their "property" (ie. card scanner/capture device)?

Possible...but considering the quality of the average farang in Pattaya, more likely he was using a stolen or forged card and the machine confiscated it and he got pissed as the jig was up.

...so according to you, even though it is "likely" that he was attempting to use a "stolen or forged" card, he would still report the matter to the police, right?

Any credibility you had in defending the thugs for beating this guy up was lost as soon as you started embellishing the incident with such nonsensical theoretical add-ons...!!

You just need to hope that the guy isn't a TV member himself, since there is a strong likelihood that if he were to read your accusation, he would be demanding a trace on your location so that he can sue you for defamation.

Did he report or was he reported?

I'm quaking at my keyboard waiting for the court summons to arrive.

It seems there are some key details missing from this snooze-worthy bit of a summary written by a Thai in vague if not misleading language. Inserted somewhere in the story could be that the motorcycle taxi drivers had had enough of witnessing scads of aging farang men parade their mia chao (rented wives) around and act as if they own the joint. Their so-called wives are women who are or were sometimes barely legal and are often young enough to be their daughters or even granddaughters. These are women who are likely calling to and banking on their faen/saamii farang in other provinces or perhaps right around the corner. These are women who were almost certainly trafficked into the commercial sex industry from a young age, thus rendering them with diminished capacity in all respects, save the ability to stroke a needy ego. Does not anyone else wonder what a 48-year-old man is doing with a 26-year-old wife, or a girlfriend that much younger relative to him, aside from what would possess him to have a go at an ATM and what would spur the group of taxi drivers to have a go at him?

So these lowlifes have had enough of watching foreigners with the local women ? Thats their problem. Have they had enough of all the income they get from delivering and picking up Thai ladies from their rendezvous with a foreigner ? Whats a 48 year old male doing with a 26 year old Thai lady ? Having a good time. And if you are one of these do gooders who object. to that. I have one question for ya all : What are you doing in Pattaya ?

And as far as respect ? Thats given when indicated.The best I can do is to ignore these lowlfes.

A lot of working girls in Pattaya have motorcycle taxi boyfriends who drop them off at the bar they work at.

So probably the taxi guy is thinking pleasant thoughts about farangs as he is drinking whiskey at a karaoke bar with money given to his his girlfriend by a farang......

Back to topic. This act of a beating of a farang by a bunch of Thais is an old story. Happens time and time again. And to me the fascinating part if you watch the endless videos, is some Thai guy from down the street will rush over to join in the fun. Some bizarre pack mentality I cannot begin to fathom. And also,

as usual , whatever precipitated the attack, the " punishment" meted out was far out of proportion.

KIcking an ATM machine, or perhaps saying some inappropriate words to the taxi guys, DOES NOT

justify a severe beating. If you think it does, you have mental issues and need to leave Thailand immediately and go home for a reset.......

• Like 2

Facts on ATM skimming attacks
Skimming devices are normally affixed to ATMs during periods of low traffic, e.g. early morning/late evening. Tick.
Length of time skimming devices can be affixed can vary, but normally are no more than for 24 hours. Possible.
Successful skimming requires both a card skimmer (card reader) and camera (PIN capturing device) to be fitted to the ATM in order to
steal card data as PINs are not recorded on the cards themselves. Possible.
Criminals may stay nearby to observe proceedings and remove equipment at short notice in order to later download information. In
some cases this data may be transmitted wirelessly to other devices located nearby. Tick.
Edited by Briggsy

Where to start?

To begin with, there is way too much hyperbole on this thread/story. Express an opinion on the story and expect to be ridiculed. Too many posts deteriorate into "ad hominem" attacks instead of trying to convince others of a point of view. BTW, ad hominem is an accepted word in the English lexicon and using it is a better way to say "attacks on an opponent's character rather than by an answer to the contentions or issues".

I read the story and have been looking at the picture of the victim. Now, if I hadn't seen the picture and only read the narrative and posts, I would have expected to see a man lying in a hospital bed with tubes running out of him. That's usually the state of someone who has been "beaten half to death". I admit that a single picture will not always show the full extent of injuries but from what I can determine the Thais exercised some degree of restraint because I have seen results of attacks in the West where pipes, bats and bricks were used and the victim is not able to speak, much less sit in a chair and fill out police reports.

Gang attacks? Thais do not have a corner on that. Anyone who believes or intimates that this is strictly a Thai phenomenon hasn't been reading much or is simply trying to denigrate Thais. It is human nature to overwhelm one's opponent. Can't do it with technology? Do it with numbers. Happens all the time, everywhere.

Why do many posters have to call Thais such derogatory names? To mention only a few and not all on this thread but all on TV...hyenas, animals, sub-human, neanderthal, ignorant, backward, stoneage, stooges, uncivilized, etc. etc. That is the way some make themselves feel superior to others.

During my travels, I learned, and have (usually) heeded the warnings, that if you want to stay out of trouble then there are some things one does not do and some places one does not go. Most of the warnings included subjects of: what one says and to whom one says it, alcohol, time of day or night, locations and types of people. Seems that some people do not heed such warnings. If I were to do something like, get drunk, wander about at wee hours, start damaging other people's property and using abusive language to a group of loiterers, I could very well expect something very bad to happen. When something bad happens, who is to blame? Who is at fault? In this story, I'd say both.

• Like 2

A number of posts have been removed:

Off topic

Inflammatory

Incorrect quoted attributes

Calling out other members to fight

Quoted replies of any of the above

But a caged-fighting match between T-V members for charity might raise allot money for a good cause. There could be ad-hominen attacks hurled at each other to see who lands a lethal insult!

Another daft farang...like beating on an ATM machine has ever resulted in ones retained card being returned! I can imagine tue Thais probable said to him to go to the branch to report it and get another card and the victim using some choice words telling them to mind their own business. If he happened to include the "F" word among them this is what probably set them off.

They wouldn't have got aroused to anger by a goofy farang beating on a metal box alone.

Which hospital did you get you thai apologist gene implanted at ?

Suppose you wear a polo shirt, walking shorts and sensible shoes while associating with the natives ?

And frown upon lower class farangs with tattoo,s and short hair ?

you are right with but a single tattoo visible on a shirtless subject, clearly a higher class farang.

Attacking an ATM would not the guy the brightest star in the sky. Attacked by a gang for the simple act of assaulting an ATM? without any hostile verbal exchanges?