80 million condoms to be distributed to solve Thai teen pregnancy problem

webfact

80 million condoms to be distributed to solve teen pregnancy problem

BANGKOK, 23 December 2013 (NNT) – Representatives from various ministries including Public Health, Education, Interior, Culture, Labor, ICT, and Social Development and Human Security as well as related private organizations gathered today at a national forum on Reproductive Sanitation Promotion to tackle the teen pregnancy problem in the country.

Public Health Minister, Dr. Pradit Sintavanarong, disclosed that the forum discussed 3 guidelines to reduce the increasing rate of unwanted pregnancy among teenagers.

The first measure calls for formation of a sub-committee to distribute 80 million condoms to teenagers free of charge. The second measure focuses on preventing repeated pregnancy among teen mothers by providing them with birth control pills and other contraceptive devices on a semi permanent basis.

The last measure is for three related ministries namely Public Health, Education, and Social Development and Human Security to jointly develop an up to date sex education curriculum to be used in both formal and non-formal schools.

These measures are hoped to help address the problems of HIV infections and illegal abortion among teenagers as well.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-12-23 footer_n.gif

First time since long I read about a good initiative. Hope they do a good campaign and not just copy from another country.

And I hope those 80 million condoms are not a stock of a member of the shinaclan getting rid of them coz past expiry date. But that would be too cinical... would it?

• Like 1

20 million young Thai males, 4 each ????? That will long term stop the pregnancies JOKE...... Give the girls free pills better.

yea, i agree with that, 800 million wont even solve that problem, because the guys like to ride bareback.

• Like 1

Increasing rate of pregnancy? Outright lie. I have heard that thai women are expected to remain virgins until a certain point. As honest and sincere as they are it is impossible that they don't live up to those expectations otherwise they would lose face.

Increasing rate of pregnancy? Outright lie. I have heard that thai women are expected to remain virgins until a certain point. As honest and sincere as they are it is impossible that they don't live up to those expectations otherwise they would lose face.

They lose more than face.giggle.gif

• Like 1

Sex education in schools is the answer! Also parents doing their job of educating the kids at home about how sex has repercussions for their future. I don't understand how a Thai parent is so worried about losing face to just talk to their child about sex and safety. No wonder there are so many young kids F&^ked up in this country because they were not taught sex Ed. So sad that in this time a people can be so backward yet think they are smart and not a 2nd world country.

• Like 2

How about investing in proper ways to educate kids on what can happen when having sex without a condom

To teach all these young people, would cost much more than a few condoms.

you cannot place a value on education....and "HOPEFULLY"..the education will have longterm effects for future generations..

Voluntary castration, and hysterectomies would be alternatives. With a smack across the kisser for the parents who do not guide their kids properly.whistling.gif

cheesy.gif That's why I think, some real discipline! Dark ages stylee biggrin.png

On thinking, a bullet to the head would be a better contraceptive for most Thai teens whistling.gif

Edited by lostmebike
  • Like 1

What about some education to go with free rubbers?

What about some responsibility for men, who spawn like rabbits and make a runner?

oh...mai pen rai!

By the way: good nobody is feeding the troll...you know who...

20 million young Thai males, 4 each ????? That will long term stop the pregnancies JOKE...... Give the girls free pills better.

free pills help against pregnancy, but there are much worse things than pregnancy (HIV) and there is no pill against that.

I agree, for all my joking the reality is. long term education, parents and kids. and not just HIV, there are so many other serious conditions. It just doesn't sink in here as serious, because it will not happen to me-attitude. pills to stop Pregnancies---condoms to stop infections/viruses.--education for the lot.

free pills wont stop hiv just encourage them to have more sex and put them at more risk from hiv

Look down the posts, and just before yours you will see my follow up.----- if you do not give them anything, you have to have them handcuffed to their parents 24 hours.