Singha Beer Family Scion 'To Change Surname'

Lite Beer

I'm still in favor of removing all Thai politicians and parties and installing a UN government for the next 150 years.

Then, dear Sir, you will see unbridled corruption & malfeasance on a scale that nightmares are made of. Have I seen it? Have I experienced it? Yes. UNTAC, Cambodia early 1990s for 4 years. The UN is a festering cesspit of corruption. And oh yes, like Suthep, they intimidate the media when things aren't going their way.

Edited by BKKBrit
  • Like 1

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should not go down the path of removing votes. She can have a view if she wants, but it's arbitrary and discriminatory. I think it's a wrong concept and idea.

I would doubt very much that democracy would return to thailand for a very long time after that type of reform and that there could be an uprising in the countryside if it was enacted.

The poor will not be patronised into submission.

I totally agree. OTOH it certainly doesn't hurt to let the masses know that there are many other people in the country that feel strongly about continually re-electing governments which are damaging the country with corruption and unsustainable policies. Responsible governments are elected by responsible voters -keep voting irresponsibly and a new method will be looked for.

Removing voting rights is an extremist view, and they are rarely accepted, but they do help to position the acceptable middle ground.

They should not go down the path of removing votes. She can have a view if she wants, but it's arbitrary and discriminatory. I think it's a wrong concept and idea.

I would doubt very much that democracy would return to thailand for a very long time after that type of reform and that there could be an uprising in the countryside if it was enacted.

I think that if Suthep removes a democratically elected government, and blockades voting at the new election which was called early to appease him, we will see future redshirt mobilisation that will be extremely angry. The events of 2010 will be by comparison, nothing. And rightly so. I was extremely vocal against the multi-month occupation and incendiary rhetoric in 2010. But I feel that this time the redshirts have a genuine reason to be angry. The vote-buying argument does not count for spit in a rainstorm, if you want stricter voting regulation you should campaign on that platform and put your own money into reducing voter fraud at stations etc. Simply cancelling all casted votes is not how it works, Suthep should know all this - it is GCSE level - you ammend Parliament itself so that whatever elected Party holds the "top spot" does not have a mandate to abuse their position, and to allow for more balanced discourse and policy progress. Being elected as PM / ruling party does not mean you can do as you please, and it really is a sliding scale, and I would propose that Thailand slides it all the way down to neutral for at least three decades.

You don't just overthrow them because a small number of their votes were not morally legit. Especially in such a volatile climate.

I also wonder if the lady in the OP would be so vocal about all this, if she were lower middle-class with a small shop in Bangkok, and would face the Nature's Wrath which is almost inevitable repercussion of kicking the farmers around for too long. She will be abroad somewhere nice, when then bill arrives, for the absurd political action she is supporting.

• Like 1

I totally agree. OTOH it certainly doesn't hurt to let the masses know that there are many other people in the country that feel strongly about continually re-electing governments which are damaging the country with corruption and unsustainable policies. Responsible governments are elected by responsible voters -keep voting irresponsibly and a new method will be looked for.

Removing voting rights is an extremist view, and they are rarely accepted, but they do help to position the acceptable middle ground.

I really blame the democrats for their utter inactivity in any reform of any systems over the years. They had chances to change many things but did nothing.

Now no one else can win except thaksin the system appears broken. There won't be an election because the dems can't win. Next stop, sutheps wonderful world of government by committee.

Suthep the saviour and breaker of democracy. My God

Edited by Thai at Heart

I think that if Suthep removes a democratically elected government, and blockades voting at the new election which was called early to appease him, we will see future redshirt mobilisation that will be extremely angry. The events of 2010 will be by comparison, nothing. And rightly so. I was extremely vocal against the multi-month occupation and incendiary rhetoric in 2010. But I feel that this time the redshirts have a genuine reason to be angry. The vote-buying argument does not count for spit in a rainstorm, if you want stricter voting regulation you should campaign on that platform and put your own money into reducing voter fraud at stations etc. Simply cancelling all casted votes is not how it works, Suthep should know all this - it is GCSE level - you ammend Parliament itself so that whatever elected Party holds the "top spot" does not have a mandate to abuse their position, and to allow for more balanced discourse and policy progress. Being elected as PM / ruling party does not mean you can do as you please, and it really is a sliding scale, and I would propose that Thailand slides it all the way down to neutral for at least three decades.

You don't just overthrow them because a small number of their votes were not morally legit. Especially in such a volatile climate.

I also wonder if the lady in the OP would be so vocal about all this, if she were lower middle-class with a small shop in Bangkok, and would face the Nature's Wrath which is almost inevitable repercussion of kicking the farmers around for too long. She will be abroad somewhere nice, when then bill arrives, for the absurd political action she is supporting.

totally agree

we have vast tracks of the world fighting to get elections and Thailand fighting against elections Amazing Thailand

• Like 1

In this type of parliamentary system, the sitting government largely does have carte blanche.

Modifying the constitution aside, as long as they have a majority they can do what they like. The uk has been like that for a very long time.

Will she return all her shares in the company, give up all her personal assets bought through her family's wealth and reject any further income from the Boonrawd Brewery group or the controlling family of which she is a member.

Perhaps she would like to go and work in Yasothon and see how she gets on.

• Like 1

Will she return all her shares in the company, give up all her personal assets bought through her family's wealth and reject any further income from the Boonrawd Brewery group or the controlling family of which she is a member.

No, because there is no logical reason why she should. Holding political views, even if a little extreme and embarrassing, at variance to those publicly expressed by the family company is no reason for disposing of her wealth, self-flagellation or immolation.

No, because there is no logical reason why she should. Holding political views, even if a little extreme and embarrassing, at variance to those publicly expressed by the family company is no reason for disposing of her wealth, self-flagellation or immolation.

The only reason she is able to subject her views to a wide audience is due to her family name and wealth.

The patriarch - Mr. Chutinant Bhirombhakdi, knows full well the dangers of shifting public opinion regarding their brand - Singha and Boonrawd Brewery. It's all about money. Unfortunately, the image his daughter Chitpas has been burned into the minds of people. The people has seen her true colors. What has been seen cannot be unseen. Arrogance is not easily forgotten.

• Like 1

well that's true... nothing hypocritical about that right? and when it's all over she can view it as an 'indiscretion of youth' and go back to the trough away from all those 'uneducated' Northern folk

And will the other heir who made photos with Thaksin showing the Victory sign (or however it is called...the two fingers) do the same?

In this type of parliamentary system, the sitting government largely does have carte blanche.

Modifying the constitution aside, as long as they have a majority they can do what they like. The uk has been like that for a very long time.

Yes, I am a Parliamentary functionalist / purist / reformist / insertisthereist. I criticise governments globally all day long, including the UK where I was lucky enough to spend the 1970's/1980s on a coal-mining sink-estate in Northern England during the strikes / "scab!" / no-coal-for-heating winters. I believe that reform comes from re-tooling of the state apparatus within the debate-based parliamentary frame, not from boycotting or civil action. As for the UK, it is highly complex and offtopic, and relates to the Colonel Blimp era stuff, and also the spirit of fair play. The UK is also not facing civil war anytime soon, if it were, parliamentary re-tooling might be on the agenda more.

But in Thailand, the crisis (which it really is), and the ignorant comments by people like the woman in the OP, show that street-level solution is no solution. The solution is for some bright spark (in a high place) to suggest that simply augmenting parliamentary authority to allow for greater post-election consensus policymaking and quite frankly national peace, would be good for everyone. The legendary Amart will lose too, if the trough is burned to ashes. One of them should look at augmenting the current system so that it actually functions and stops making 9/10s of the nation bloody furious every two years.

coffee1.gif

The system here is essentially uk.

Lower house writes laws. Upper house accepts or send back for changes.

I like the uk system because it normally avoids coalitions. Maybe Thailand should look at the first past the post that they have but they have the party list anyway.

Just seems to me that the opposition party is ripe for a massive shake up. The shinawatras have got them all spinning instead of coming up with policies.

• Like 2

The patriarch - Mr. Chutinant Bhirombhakdi, knows full well the dangers of shifting public opinion regarding their brand - Singha and Boonrawd Brewery. It's all about money. Unfortunately, the image his daughter Chitpas has been burned into the minds of people. The people has seen her true colors. What has been seen cannot be unseen. Arrogance is not easily forgotten.

PR is a disaster. First Singha got hated by the Thaksin supporters but loved by the democracy movement.

Which is some damage, but maybe not as much as it sounds because most people don't care about politics. And from the rest most forget things fast.

Than the Mr. Chutinant, makes the democracy movement hates Singha. Additional the photo with that other young man of the family with Thaksin floods around.

So result:

The Reds still hate Singha family.

The Democracy movement now also hates them.

If the patriarch would have just kept his mouth closed it, it would have been better.

But still I would be surprise if there is a change in sales of more than 1-2 %.

To me Ms. Chitpas Bhirombhakdi, is like Anakin Skywalker (The Chosen One) who is now seduced by the dark side.

Suthep, aka Darth Sidious (Shadowy Sith Load) is Manipulating her hate for Thaksin Yoda (Grand Jedi Master) who seems to be able to move thing just by "Thinking from Dubai" (Thaksin Think, PT do slogan). Ms. Chitpas Bhirombhakdi is being turn to Darth Vader (Dark Loard of the Sith) by the society, especially the Farangs (Gungan) in ThaiVisa (Naboo)

The Sith view the dark side as good, demonstrating one of "People" observations that "most bad people think they are good people". Those following the dark side claim it allows an individual to gain the full powers of the Force that followers of the light side cannot attain. Suthep claims that Darth Plagueis had the power to create utopia by influencing the midi-chlorians and could save people from corruption but claims that Darth Plagueis is the only one who has achieved this power.

Although Ms. Chitpas Bhirombhakdi (aka Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader) may be seen by the Gungan of Naboo to be evil now. Only she, and she along eventually eradicated Suthep aka Darth Sidious; when she, according to Adam Smith law of diminishing returns, does not find the seduction (by the dark side) exciting anymore.

• Like 2

The only reason she is able to subject her views to a wide audience is due to her family name and wealth.

That would be true of most venues. At least nobody has suggested she is a successful businesswoman and made her PM.

It's not really "courage" when you're insulting the people that you need to get on your side in order to win an election. The reason why the Democrats have lost every election for 23 years is exactly what Ms. Chitpas said. They think the rural poor are stupid. Ms. Chitpas just went a step further than your average Democrat and basically said it out loud.

What the Democrats are saying is "if you don't vote for us, you have no clue and are not Democratic".

That is not democracy, that is dictatorship.

Democracy is when people vote and you accept what those people have voted.

Whoever thought Thailand was ever a real 'democracy' have to have their heads examined.

True democracy doesn't work here. The winners end up stealing and ruling the country right into the toilet while the losers will never accept the results. This country needs equal power shared between the Dems and the PTP(sans any Dubal influence). This way, they can watch each other like hawks and each side has enough power to make sure the other side doesn't screw up too badly.

So the answer obviously is to dump democracy altogether because a inherited millionairess tells us that the people are too stupid to understand?????

My God this country needs help. How about she keeps her stupid gob shut or start helping to find a way to get MORE democracy/transparency/accountability and not less.

Of course if I was really stupid I would reckon that to smash corruption and get more democracy the logical thing to do would be would be to support a guy like Suthep because he had such a good track record and a ditzy bird like this because she had loads of cash because her granddad could make beer???????

I mean I just instinctively trust her judgement in supporting such an upstanding man such as Suthep. He's just such a beacon of honesty. I await her renouncing her family wealth just to show her principled sacrifice to the country.

It's not Ms. Chitpas alone who wants a modified sort of system for this country. You're just attacking the messenger. You have a problem with rich people? That's sad. But let's not forget, there probably aren't any poor MPs in the PTP. And we know how poor the Shinawatras are.

How has democracy worked for this country so far?

Would trying something new out help root out corruption and make the government and country better? Who knows until it's tried? It can't get any worse than this. We need something a parliament similar to the senate in which some members are elected and some appointed. If there are enough MPs on both sides to make sure the other side can't just pass any bill without properly debating it in parliament or to make sure the other side can't steal, we'd have less of these protests for sure.

well that's true... nothing hypocritical about that right? and when it's all over she can view it as an 'indiscretion of youth' and go back to the trough away from all those 'uneducated' Northern folk

Nothing at all. Hypocritical is trying to suppress someone's views because you might lose a few baht in profits.

It's not really "courage" when you're insulting the people that you need to get on your side in order to win an election. The reason why the Democrats have lost every election for 23 years is exactly what Ms. Chitpas said. They think the rural poor are stupid. Ms. Chitpas just went a step further than your average Democrat and basically said it out loud.

What the Democrats are saying is "if you don't vote for us, you have no clue and are not Democratic".

That is not democracy, that is dictatorship.

Democracy is when people vote and you accept what those people have voted.

Whoever thought Thailand was ever a real 'democracy' have to have their heads examined.

True democracy doesn't work here. The winners end up stealing and ruling the country right into the toilet while the losers will never accept the results. This country needs equal power shared between the Dems and the PTP(sans any Dubal influence). This way, they can watch each other like hawks and each side has enough power to make sure the other side doesn't screw up too badly.

So the answer obviously is to dump democracy altogether because a inherited millionairess tells us that the people are too stupid to understand?????

My God this country needs help. How about she keeps her stupid gob shut or start helping to find a way to get MORE democracy/transparency/accountability and not less.

Of course if I was really stupid I would reckon that to smash corruption and get more democracy the logical thing to do would be would be to support a guy like Suthep because he had such a good track record and a ditzy bird like this because she had loads of cash because her granddad could make beer???????

I mean I just instinctively trust her judgement in supporting such an upstanding man such as Suthep. He's just such a beacon of honesty. I await her renouncing her family wealth just to show her principled sacrifice to the country.

It's not Ms. Chitpas alone who wants a modified sort of system for this country. You're just attacking the messenger. You have a problem with rich people? That's sad. But let's not forget, there probably aren't any poor MPs in the PTP. And we know how poor the Shinawatras are.

How has democracy worked for this country so far?

Would trying something new out help root out corruption and make the government and country better? Who knows until it's tried? It can't get any worse than this. We need something a parliament similar to the senate in which some members are elected and some appointed. If there are enough MPs on both sides to make sure the other side can't just pass any bill without properly debating it in parliament or to make sure the other side can't steal, we'd have less of these protests for sure.

So you are basically saying the Democrats are completely incompetent and cannot get enough MP's elected, and because of that we have to change the system to maker it 'fairer' for them?

Maybe if the Democrats spent more time talking policies and what steps they would take to eradicate corruption and improve the voting systems then they would actually garner more support. I feel that many people on all sides of the political divide see the need for far ranging reforms particularly on corruption (incidentally it is those who make the laws, politicians of all colour , police who are the worst offenders) so i don't know why the Democrats really push this as an agenda at the elections on the 2nd February. Come out with some step by step points on what will be done, how it will be done and the benefits of it being done, and see what happens at the polls, starting with routing it out in their own party, cancelling MP immunity etc

I really think many people are sick of the PTP, but with the Democrats not giving a viable alternative which offers any difference on issues like corruption, there is little incentive for change.

The whole thing really really stinks though. The whole main issue is about corruption and a poor election system which can be abused. The system which has been created by the very people who now want it changed, and the corruption and lack of enforcement of laws created by the very people who break them with impunity.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, i am not sure why this lady is talking about rural people's ability to vote, the problem seems to have been created at the top end of the spectrum with those who made the rules, break them whenever they like, and now someone else is doing it they don't like it.

• Like 1

I went to a Motorbike repair shop and the owner had exactly the same feeling as Ms. Chitpas. This is why the Democrat Party will not win the next elections (Not just this next one). Only when they show more respect to those "Kwai" (their term) voter from the provinces in the North and Northeast will things change.

"Ms. Chitpas Bhirombhakdi, who told a number of foreign media that she distrusts electoral politics because rural voters are uneducated about democracy."

• Like 1

^ Why would he ? I feel sorry for the guy, having a daughter that isn't the brightest of the bunch. Utterly stupid to suggest that rural people are uneducated and therefore she distrust the electoral process. Wonder if Suthep has the same opinion, and when we actually get the abolishment of one man one vote principle, which of course was already advocated by the PAD a few years back.

Scary people.

"many Thais lack a "true understanding of democracy . . . especially in the rural areas.""

what is wrong with this sentence? I would even say that many European lack a "true understanding of democracy".

Almost no one (neither in Thailand nor elsewhere) has much of an understanding and with the massive vote buying many people really don't understand what big damage they are doing.

If he doesn't like the political views of her daughter than it is his problem. Maybe he has more daughters, one is pro Democracy so she must change her name. The other is red, he doesn't like it so she must change name. The third is marring a Christ, he doesn't like it so she must change name.

It is him who has a problem not her. An he only worry that he get a little bit less super rich.

In USA we have a representative republic, not a democracy...just saying.

Don't her views reflect those held by the yellow bellies? If not expressed so forthright in public it is certainly expressed in private and implicitly expressed in their actions.

Her views don't reflect those of the yellow shirt hillbillies from the south of course. I mean the Bangkokian yellow bellies.

Must drive the high-so's crazy at the protests and look around and see all these people from the south of the country. Especially to see those from as far south in Thailand as you can go! They're basically Malaysian at that point.

You don't have to make it so obvious that you're red sympathiser. Bearing in mind you don't appear to have been in Thailand long enough to learn much about anything maybe a more neutral stance would have been better, along with refraining from making derogatory comments. Your view that the opposition are all yellow further betrays your ignorance of the oppositions make up.

• Like 1

Mr. Santi Bhirombhakdi, the patriarch of the Bhirombhakdis and executive director of Boon Rawd Brewery, has previously sent a letter to Mr. Chutinant, warning him that as a board member he will be held responsible for damages caused to the company by his daughter′s political actions.

One high-ranking manager of the brewery told Khaosod that the letter penned by Mr. Santi was meant as a way to "teach" his family members and settle the dispute inside the family.

"teach" apparently means grab by the balls and threaten or even perform castration for not obeying the pooyai

Chang Beer just became my favorite.

Yes me too, my Wife's family too alltough the Mrs is sorry she has to change her favourite soda drink.

I'll never drink Singha again. For Singha top management to be issuing statements like this it must be a very serious and dangerous situation, the profit slump must be being felt already. For a Thai family to be airing their dirty laundry in public this must be a huge issue for them.

What a nasty piece of work she is...bah.gif

Mr. Santi Bhirombhakdi, the patriarch of the Bhirombhakdis and executive director of Boon Rawd Brewery, has previously sent a letter to Mr. Chutinant, warning him that as a board member he will be held responsible for damages caused to the company by his daughter′s political actions.

That part is scary...

Money and BoD have more power than family links even within a family business....

Seems like a nice family threatening each other with official letters!!!!! cheesy.gif

I went to a Motorbike repair shop and the owner had exactly the same feeling as Ms. Chitpas. This is why the Democrat Party will not win the next elections (Not just this next one). Only when they show more respect to those "Kwai" (their term) voter from the provinces in the North and Northeast will things change.

"Ms. Chitpas Bhirombhakdi, who told a number of foreign media that she distrusts electoral politics because rural voters are uneducated about democracy."

She never said that. The source of that 'quote' came from Khaosod, the Red slanted 'news'.

What she said was "... many Thais lack a true understanding of democracy... especially in the rural areas".

• Like 1