What is a realistic expectation of cost of living in Cambodia?

kanela

Please only helpful responses. If more info needed just ask. Thank you in advance for your responses!

How comfortably can two live on say $1500 per month. Lets say I would like to rent a fairly nice furnished 1 bedroom apartment/house with air conditioning in a safe nice quiet area (no flooding). I would like to travel frequently to Thailand so not too far from the border would be nice (possibly Siem Reap?) Looking for an overall expectation including rent, utilities, groceries, taxi, bus, eating out, etc.

Also curious as to cost of buying a car. Not sure if you need to know, but we do have a cat. How hard is it to find a trustworthy person to pet/house sit?

• Like 1

very comfortable IF your not into partying/drinking

SR- Thailand 2 1/2 hours via Poi Pet, 3-4 hours via Osmach

PP to Thailand 7 hours ( via Battamabang, Pailin) 6 hours via Koh Kong

Shv to Thailand 4 hours or so

Outside of that, there not many places to live

Cars; 1996/7 honda crv/Toyota Rav4 $7,000-10,0000

Edited by phuketrichard

very comfortable IF your not into partying/drinking

SR- Thailand 2 1/2 hours via Poi Pet, 3-4 hours via Osmach

PP to Thailand 7 hours ( via Battamabang, Pailin) 6 hours via Koh Kong

Shv to Thailand 4 hours or so

Outside of that, there not many places to live

Cars; 1996/7 honda crv/Toyota Rav4 $7,000-10,0000

Nope, not into partying or drinking. Just sightseeing and trying to destress from life in the states!! Ouch on the price of cars!!! I think I just got a post from you on the Living in Cambodia forum. Thanks!!!! I appreciate all input. You are correct I think I will check out both countries and see for myself. However, I do think it best to gather as much info as possible to help with the decision be it Thailand or Cambodia. I really like the whole visa thing in Cambodia!!!

You can get used cars for much, much less than that!

In fact used cars are a great bargain in Cambodia, especially as compared to Thailand.

You can get an old but seviceable Camry for $2000-$3000 easily.

Thank you. lol...but how old and what exactly does serviceable mean?

You can get with less than 300,000 km. But certainly over 100,000 km on it, probably close to 200,000. 15 years old or so.

Local mechanics are quite used to these cars and repairs are not expensive.

A lot depends on whether you plan long interprovincial drives or just local usage.

Re apartment you may find it hard to get a fully furnished place in your price range but locally made furniture is not that expensive plus lots if expats sell theirs when they leave.

You can get with less than 300,000 km. But certainly over 100,000 km on it, probably close to 200,000. 15 years old or so.

Local mechanics are quite used to these cars and repairs are not expensive.

A lot depends on whether you plan long interprovincial drives or just local usage.

Re apartment you may find it hard to get a fully furnished place in your price range but locally made furniture is not that expensive plus lots if expats sell theirs when they leave.

Appreciate your input. I did not put a price range for an apt. I am trying to get a price range for a fully furnished 1 bedroom/1 bath with hot water and air conditioning. Thank you!!

Western restaurant food and beer is cheaper in Cambodia, but EVERYTHING else is more expensive and generally lower quality. Food at the grocery stores is often double in price here and selection is poor. If you go to the markets and eat like a local it can be about the same as Thailand. but again the selection is way better in Thailand.

Accept for the beer. I couldn't find 50cent drafts in thailand.

I moved here from Thailand and kind of regret it. but we'll see. Some people do like it better. The westerners are friendlier here than in thailand. They don't generally ignore each other here as was so common in thailand. I think the kmer men are friendlier here to than thai men. But the thai women are friendlier than the kmer women, that's for sure. Here women are afraid of being seen too friendly to westerners. Its way more conservative.

Some people say kmer are more honest, I havent found that to be the case. Others say the poor steal like crazy here, I think that is more accurate. I've met several people who got there stuff yanked away, a few beat up. That's rare in thailand.

But 1500? all depends on where you go and what you spend your money on. traveling back and forth might be a drag as the roads are bad and the border is a shit hole on the cambodian side. The southern one is much cleaner and less hassle, but the roads going either way are sketchy.

• Like 1

lots of furnished apartments in PP for $250-$500 a month.

I looked for a week in pp, everything near 250 was a shit hole except one nice place but you had to go up 3 flights on a narrow circular outdoor stairway in the rain that I wouldnt want to be too drunk on and no place to put things outside like a bicycle.

Its more expensive here generally. I'm not sure about the $500 range, I can't see spending 6k a year on rent.

If you go to smaller towns like sianoukville its cheaper. Siam reap is too but never been there.

Apartement, including Air/Con, Fan, Cable-TV and sometimes fridge, $70 to $150, electricity regular Riel 700 per kw (Riel 1.000 ist $0.25), apartmenthouses and many landlords ask up to R 1,500. Water is as cheap as in Thailand. Cable-TV between $5 and $10 per month, but not same quality as in Thailand).

Renting a house cost between $150 and $500 for most offers. Gasoline and Diesel is about Riel 5,000. Living costs are okay. I live very well from supermarket with average costs between $400 and $600 without checking the price (2 people plus baby). Only cheese and other milk products are pretty expensive. Alcohol ist very cheap. Most brands (Malibu, Bacardi etc. below $10, Whiskey between $15 and $20). Vodka and wine starts from $3.

Gas (for cooking) is imported from Thailand and about double price of Thailand. Always between $15 and 28, in average about $20. Cars in a good condition you get from $5,000, but for sure not in conditions you expect from Europe. Many times you find Toyoty engines in all kind of cars like Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Mitsubishi etc. A C-Class Benz ist in pretty good condition about $5,000, a old (but really old) camry starting from $2,000. Motorbikes are more expensive as in Thailand as also imported. Land Cruiser (F80) start from $5,000, as a Lexus $7,000. BMW X5 $15,000, Hummer from $28,000). A good site to get ideas: http://www.khmer24.com/category/67/cars-for-sale.html. When buying a car look for all ownership papers, registration plates and ALL tax receipts from each year. Also look for stamps for security check (yearly like tax). If you can not show, you have to pay the years before, too. Always go with the pre-owner to registration office. Only showing a contract without the former owner can cause trouble.

Insurance (not a must, but recommended, as the company also makes the negotiations with police after an accident) starts from $100 a year. Costs for visa (3 months about $90, half year about $160, one year $285), when you use a travel agency, supermarket etc.

The prices are for Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh ist way more expensive. Siem Reap is mixed. Internet is compared with Thailand also expensive and even in towns not everywhere available (lines with flatrate). Flatrates are starting at $35 for 4GB (Metfone), USB-Stick $5 for up to 2 GB, USB-sticks itself about $30.

I hope, I could help. I read one post about a bad and cheap choice at supermarkets. Thats not true. You get particular more then in Thailand. And cheaper. Ah: cigarettes: no-name brand (Ara), one box $2,50, L&M 1 box $4,60, Marlboro 1 box $10 (but even this is just $1 per package).

Edited by starcatcher
  • Like 2

Stay close to an airport. Air Asia has specials and you can sometimes fly out cheaper than driving your own car. I was flooded out of Siem Reap 2 years ago. The water was up to the waist. Took a taxi to Poipet, and we were almost floating back. Sihanoukville is not too bad for living...and just 3 hours or so to Koh Kong/Trat Border. Prices per month were very similar to Thailand. 1500 dollars would be fine. There was a very nice gym/pool available by the Golden Lion Circle in Sihanoukville, and nice beach walking. I did not care for Phnom Penh.....

I hope, I could help. I read one post about a bad and cheap choice at supermarkets. Thats not true. You get particular more then in Thailand. And cheaper. Ah: cigarettes: no-name brand (Ara), one box $2,50, L&M 1 box $4,60, Marlboro 1 box $10 (but even this is just $1 per package).

Alcohol and ciggerettes maybe but things like oatmeal, jelly, cooking oil, dairy products, all considerably more here.... tuna $2-3 here but $1.1 in thailand., package dry goods are all more expensive here than thailand. 7 to $15 for a few dry tacos and mix. and the selection is not even close to thailand where they have big-cs and another big dept store(forgot the name) competing , here there is no dept store in sihnoukville. period, no way the selection for most stuff is comparable. The bike shops here have 1 of everything, if you are lucky. I bought a bike-light because forgot mine in thailand... they had 1 and it broke in two ways the first day. (the switch and the mounting) In thailand they had several at the many bikeshops. of western quality and it didn't break. I tried to buy cooking stuff, bring it all from thailand or you'll be sorry. I have been unable to find an electric wok anywhere, couldn't find a little can opener for less than $5. They have the same few brands and models at every store.

And another thing, at the dept stores in thailand the prices are marked and the same for everyone, here most things have no marked price and there is a higher price for westerners in all the little shops, but speaking kmer helps.

most of the budget places are 1 room - not 1 bedroom, and very, very modest in the less than 150 range in sihanookville, but with air and hotwater? maybe if you know someone and get very lucky, 1 room w/air starts at 150, but most of them are nothing to be excited about, but there are a few, the good ones go fast...hotwater is a luxury here and so is a private balcony. all western apts in thailand have those. the electric goes out once a week in the whole town for 1 to 4 hours. my internet has been down 3 times in two months beside the power going out . Refrigerators are standard in nearly every apt in thailand, but not here, you have to buy you own. Bedding was including in thailand, not here.

I saw a video on youtube implying I could get the same for less here, not true.

Again there is a big difference in price at the western super markets and the market where the locals go.

Wow! Thanks to all who are taking the time to respond to me! Getting great feedback. A special thanks for the link to the cars for sale. I was getting so much conflicting info that really helped to clear it up for me. I wish there was similar for the renting to get a better idea. Holy cow on the flooding! So many differences of opinion on the cost of living!!! Would I be correct in understanding Thailand is definetly cheaper than Cambodia? I have difficulty understanding how such a poor and underdeveloped country is so expensive. This is quite the learning experience for me. Please keep the valued info coming and thanks!!!!!

Wow! Thanks to all who are taking the time to respond to me! Getting great feedback. A special thanks for the link to the cars for sale. I was getting so much conflicting info that really helped to clear it up for me. I wish there was similar for the renting to get a better idea. Holy cow on the flooding! So many differences of opinion on the cost of living!!! Would I be correct in understanding Thailand is definetly cheaper than Cambodia? I have difficulty understanding how such a poor and underdeveloped country is so expensive. This is quite the learning experience for me. Please keep the valued info coming and thanks!!!!!

Both Cambodia and Vietnam are more expensive than Thailand. I lived in both places and you have to deal with electricity cuts, lack of western food, ridiculous prices, etc. Thailand feels much, much more civilized in comparison and it's cheaper.

Plus, I have pets and I never again want to live in either Cambodia or Vietnam. The vets in Thailand actually have medicine to treat your animals (yes, I have the same ones, so they survived their stay in those countries). You have no idea what a nightmare veterinary treatment is in both Cambodia and Vietnam. The vets in both those places had to actually import medicine from Thailand, so it was not only much more expensive, but they only had basic stuff.

Cars are expensive in both Thailand and Cambodia. Very, very expensive in both places.

ETA: I'm a woman too, in case that makes a difference.

Edited by dotx

Cambodia is certainly more expensive than Thailand. As an example my electricity bill in CMB runs between $50 - 500 per month while in Thailand for the same use is around $150-175. I however am very western and won't give up my air con, dishwasher or hot showers.

Petrol is expensive and so to is food. I do a monthly shop at Macro in Sa Kao and just do vegies in Sisophon where I live.

Driving to and from Thailand is now a breeze taking your Cambodian car through the Poipet border provided you have Thai insurance (690Bht P.A) Not so the other way as everytime I bring my Thai car in I need a letter from the Govenor at $50 a time. Khmer 24 is certainly the place to look for cars. I recently bought a 1993 Camry in good nick for $3,300. It needed about 600 spending to get it perfect. I also recently sold my 1996 Mercedes S320 for $5500 and also my Mercedes 500SL for $9500. The cars were perfect but I was over the petrol cost and the annual road tax of $500.So my advise is to stay below 3.0L engines to keep the tax down. Most of the main roads here are now reasonable so driving between major cities is not an issue other than the fact that Cambodians buy a car then get in and fiddle about until they get it moving - they have no concept of road rules and if you think Thai drivers are arrogent just wait until you experience Cambodians.

After 16 years in Cambodia I have to say I prefer Thailand. Just that bit more sophicated and more interesting things to do. Cambodians are more up front and dont hide behind the false smiles of the Thai but having said that they are on the whole always looking for the chance which given their history and the likelihood of history repeating itself, is not surprising. When I first came here I was told Cambodians would be your best friend or your worst enemy and I have found that to be true. There is no grey with Cambodians.

Forget medical services here - for anything other than a cut finger get yourself back to Thailand.

If you are planning to go regulary to and from Thailand you will enjoy life in Cambodia although perhaps not in PP which has to be one of the most boring cities in the world with its only redeeming feature being good resturants. SR, Battambang, Koh Kong, Kom Pong Som and even here in Sisophon are all pleasent in their own ways.

To sum up cost of living is dependent on how you choose to live but on the whole is still more costly here than Thailand at all levels.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I think that is more accurate. I've met several people who got there stuff yanked away, a few beat up

<deleted>, it is very rare here. If I read TV, it seems to be a lot more common in LOS than here.

Generally, I find Cambodia a lot cheaper than Thailand. Been here for 5 years but go to Thailand pretty much every month. I do not party but I do like a beer and a good feed and I can get it for much less here in SR than in BKK. I also know that some pretty decent places can be had her as there is an oversupply of accommodation.

Both Cambodia and Vietnam are more expensive than Thailand. I lived in both places and you have to deal with electricity cuts, lack of western food, ridiculous prices, etc. Thailand feels much, much more civilized in comparison and it's cheaper.

Plus, I have pets and I never again want to live in either Cambodia or Vietnam. The vets in Thailand actually have medicine to treat your animals (yes, I have the same ones, so they survived their stay in those countries). You have no idea what a nightmare veterinary treatment is in both Cambodia and Vietnam. The vets in both those places had to actually import medicine from Thailand, so it was not only much more expensive, but they only had basic stuff.

Cars are expensive in both Thailand and Cambodia. Very, very expensive in both places.

ETA: I'm a woman too, in case that makes a difference.

Regarding to vets also many things changed. While you find in Phnom Penh a pretty expensive French vet, in Sihanoukville works now a Russian guy with great skills and really cheap prices. I have a Rottweiler and my dog gets best medical treatment, I can imagine. In Thailand I also had problems to find a skilled vet.

I live since 8 years in Asia. More than 4 in Thailand, 2 times in Cambodia, actually since 2 years. I came here because of visa reasons, as I´m to young for Thai visas. For sure I wont marry a Thai for a Thai visa.

In Thailand are many things "better" on first view. There´s more civilasition. But also more freedom in Cambodia. In Thailand I was used to live in the north. Never had a real choice of western food. But I never missed it. But when I compare prices from shopping malls in Chiang Mai with prices here in Cambodia, it is cheaper in Cambodia.

But anyway I think, comparing Thailand and Cambodia, isnt realistic. These are 2 different countries with different mentality. Regarding to the visa policies I can say, Thailand did well and I understand fully. I see here so many foreigners without money, begging, drug dealing, scamming. It´s not good for reputation. But once you live your own life far away from (sex) tourist hot-spots, and if you have some money, you have a great life here.

About money and if expensive or not, I don´t know. Some (like here) say, Cambodia is more expensive. Others. who were leaving Cambodia to Thailand, told me, Thailand became expensive and is not as good as before. So I guess, it is a decision, everyone has to make for itself and it is depending on own life standards..

My own opinion: life (supermarket, market, bars, restaurants, cars) in sum is cheaper in Cambodia. Renting a house is more expensive in Cambodia.

I think that is more accurate. I've met several people who got there stuff yanked away, a few beat up

<deleted>, it is very rare here. If I read TV, it seems to be a lot more common in LOS than here.

Generally, I find Cambodia a lot cheaper than Thailand. Been here for 5 years but go to Thailand pretty much every month. I do not party but I do like a beer and a good feed and I can get it for much less here in SR than in BKK. I also know that some pretty decent places can be had her as there is an oversupply of accommodation.

Cambodia is cheaper to holiday, the restuarants, bars and hotels are all cheaper but rent and groceries are more than thailand but there are exceptions.

There is a common scam for motorcycles with 2 people to drive by and rip the packs, purses and laptops away from people walking and drive away, I heard that from at least a dozen people, because on the way over a guy warned me, so I started asking people I met about each area and if they heard it was safe. at least 2 of them claimed it happened to them personally, the rest were just saying . I hate it when people exaggerate how bad something is too, I'm just saying what I heard but it feels pretty safe to me. The violence was all late at night stuff I heard from guys out drinking or walking home alone. I didn't worry in thailand I feel more need to be aware here but i don't know, but I hope I am wrong. One guy had alot of stitches and said it was a stab wound from the beach, another said he was drugged and robbed at the beach, another said he was pushed by a big dude in the street at 3am, he said he showed a knife and the guy backed off. I have also read online that cambodia was not as safe as thailand, especially in the country side. but yeah, pretty much all hearsay. mostly depends how good you are at staying out of trouble.

I absolutely love the advice and opinions everyone is offering!! Every little tidbit of information is incredibly helpful! I can see I will have a very difficult time choosing between the two countries!! From what I have gathered Thailand is a more advanced country. The commerce is better and it is possibly less expensive than Cambodia. The healthcare is better. I have been reading the forums on Thailand on this website and I guess one of the biggest concerns I have is that most foreigners don't seem very happy in Thailand. There are more negative complaints and anti Thai rhetoric than there are positive statements. I guess I don't understand why there are so many people living there if they are so unhappy with the way of life there. I guess all that negativity gives me cause for pause.

What I have gathered about Cambodia by reading their forums is that it has a much easier visa system, the people are friendlier, it is possibly more expensive than Thailand, the commerce is not as good as Thailand, the country as a whole is not as advanced as Thailand, the foreigners that live there seem to be happier in their surroundings as they are much more positive than the foreigners living in Thailand. The healthcare kind of sucks.

Yes this will be a most difficult decision!!!

• Like 1

Cambodia is certainly more expensive than Thailand. As an example my electricity bill in CMB runs between $50 - 500 per month while in Thailand for the same use is around $150-175. I however am very western and won't give up my air con, dishwasher or hot showers.

Petrol is expensive and so to is food. I do a monthly shop at Macro in Sa Kao and just do vegies in Sisophon where I live.

Driving to and from Thailand is now a breeze taking your Cambodian car through the Poipet border provided you have Thai insurance (690Bht P.A) Not so the other way as everytime I bring my Thai car in I need a letter from the Govenor at $50 a time. Khmer 24 is certainly the place to look for cars. I recently bought a 1993 Camry in good nick for $3,300. It needed about 600 spending to get it perfect. I also recently sold my 1996 Mercedes S320 for $5500 and also my Mercedes 500SL for $9500. The cars were perfect but I was over the petrol cost and the annual road tax of $500.So my advise is to stay below 3.0L engines to keep the tax down. Most of the main roads here are now reasonable so driving between major cities is not an issue other than the fact that Cambodians buy a car then get in and fiddle about until they get it moving - they have no concept of road rules and if you think Thai drivers are arrogent just wait until you experience Cambodians.

After 16 years in Cambodia I have to say I prefer Thailand. Just that bit more sophicated and more interesting things to do. Cambodians are more up front and dont hide behind the false smiles of the Thai but having said that they are on the whole always looking for the chance which given their history and the likelihood of history repeating itself, is not surprising. When I first came here I was told Cambodians would be your best friend or your worst enemy and I have found that to be true. There is no grey with Cambodians.

Forget medical services here - for anything other than a cut finger get yourself back to Thailand.

If you are planning to go regulary to and from Thailand you will enjoy life in Cambodia although perhaps not in PP which has to be one of the most boring cities in the world with its only redeeming feature being good resturants. SR, Battambang, Koh Kong, Kom Pong Som and even here in Sisophon are all pleasent in their own ways.

To sum up cost of living is dependent on how you choose to live but on the whole is still more costly here than Thailand at all levels.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your response. I too am a little on the spoiled side. While I don't need the best of everything, I do like a nice apartment. I like my basics: 1 bedroom/1 bath, elec, hot water, air conditioning, cabinets, stove/fridge, decent but comfortable furniture. in a safe area and clean! But I do also have a set budget and I guess that budget will dictate what I can and can not have! There is so much to think about. We are considering coming to Thailand and staying for 3 months then trying Cambodia for 3 months to see what each country has to offer. It is my understanding that Thailand is cracking down on it's visas. Am I correct in understanding that if I stay for 3 mo. then leave that I must be gone for 3 mo before I can re-enter the country??

@kanela, its been my understanding that the 'Dont come back for 90 days' edict has been in place in Thailand for at least two years, along with a gradual tightening on Tourist and Education visas in an attempt to weed out people who are working illegally in Thailand and chronic overstayers. As with anything Thailand, you will find reports from some who claim to have circumvented any given 'crackdown', but it all comes down to whether or not you are willing to take that chance.

For me, even though I'll be 55 and able to meet the financial criteria for the retirement visas in both Thailand and Malaysia, I've chosen to base myself in Penang from April and fly out every 90 days - dovetails nicely with the Thai requirement. As you mentioned earlier, infrastructure is important - I look forward to posting my experiences once I get settled in on the island. I know it will be more expensive than Thailand or Cambodia, particularly in terms of eating out and alcohol, but there are some things I'm willing to pay for upfront. Good luck in your own search.

I'm not wild about some of the figures on numbeo, but I do want to provide TVers with my own figures for Penang in about 6 months time. One thing to go as a tourist - it will be different living a 'normal' life and cooking my own food, but I cant wait.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Malaysia&city=Penang

Edited by MrWorldwide

liivng in Penang and if u like Indian /local food. I think u will find it less expensive to live!!

I was just down there in Oct and compared prices for food, about same as Phuket, Housing will cost u more but ur Car and gas will be less.

Drinking FORGET IT at Least in Bars

It is my understanding that Thailand is cracking down on it's visas. Am I correct in understanding that if I stay for 3 mo. then leave that I must be gone for 3 mo before I can re-enter the country??

NOT tue at all.

as an american you could do land border runs ( 30 days visa exempt into Thailand) till u died ( or they change the laws :-) )

Kamela;

i told u on the other forum, giving ur husbands age, and as he has a pension, u wll have ZERO problem getting a long term visa in Thailand for less than Cambodia.

$180 retirement extension multi entry/vs 285/year,multi entry /year

• Like 1

liivng in Penang and if u like Indian /local food. I think u will find it less expensive to live!!

I was just down there in Oct and compared prices for food, about same as Phuket, Housing will cost u more but ur Car and gas will be less.

Drinking FORGET IT at Least in Bars

It is my understanding that Thailand is cracking down on it's visas. Am I correct in understanding that if I stay for 3 mo. then leave that I must be gone for 3 mo before I can re-enter the country??

NOT tue at all.

as an american you could do land border runs ( 30 days visa exempt into Thailand) till u died ( or they change the laws :-) )

Kamela;

i told u on the other forum, giving ur husbands age, and as he has a pension, u wll have ZERO problem getting a long term visa in Thailand for less than Cambodia.

$180 retirement extension multi entry/vs 285/year,multi entry /year

Yes, thank you Richard. I was thinking that I would go to Thailand first check it out for 3 mo then go to Cambodia and check it out for 3 mo. I thought I would need to do that on a tourist visa and an extension prior to making any final decisions. Am I incorrect in my thinking?

yes, apply for a single entry tourist visa,( valid for 60 days) than after u have been in country for 55-59 days go to immigration, where ever u are, and get a 30 days extension for 1,900

When u go to Cambodia apply for an ORDINARY ( business ) visa cost ya $25. Not all land borders issue them but the airports do.

Than before the 1 month is due to expire u can go to any travel agent and get a 3 month extension ( or 1 month).

Note the 1 and 3 month extenisions are NOT multi entry for Cambodia

• Like 1

yes, apply for a single entry tourist visa,( valid for 60 days) than after u have been in country for 55-59 days go to immigration, where ever u are, and get a 30 days extension for 1,900

When u go to Cambodia apply for an ORDINARY ( business ) visa cost ya $25. Not all land borders issue them but the airports do.

Than before the 1 month is due to expire u can go to any travel agent and get a 3 month extension ( or 1 month).

Note the 1 and 3 month extenisions are NOT multi entry for Cambodia

See, and you thought I wasn't paying attention. lol.... Thanks I appreciate it.