What is a realistic expectation of cost of living in Cambodia?

kanela

Am I correct in understanding that if I stay for 3 mo. then leave that I must be gone for 3 mo before I can re-enter the country??

In Cambodia, I am not sure, but in Thailand this is no longer the case. I come and go often, and never had to wait 3 months to re-enter. That stopped a few years back. However, you might want to be cautious on how many border runs utilizing the same point of entry you do in succession. I have not had any problems so far, but I heard some people have had difficulties.

Of course one doesn't buy a former taxi (actually by the time taxis are sold off they aren't much more than scrap metal).

Used Toyotas came in regularly by the bargeload from the US. Prices drop after each new shipment arrives due to the number available then climb back up until the next. You buy right after a shipment arrives.

Of course one doesn't buy a former taxi (actually by the time taxis are sold off they aren't much more than scrap metal).

Used Toyotas came in regularly by the bargeload from the US. Prices drop after each new shipment arrives due to the number available then climb back up until the next. You buy right after a shipment arrives.

Good info thanks.

lots of furnished apartments in PP for $250-$500 a month.

I looked for a week in pp, everything near 250 was a shit hole except one nice place but you had to go up 3 flights on a narrow circular outdoor stairway in the rain that I wouldnt want to be too drunk on and no place to put things outside like a bicycle.

Its more expensive here generally. I'm not sure about the $500 range, I can't see spending 6k a year on rent.

If you go to smaller towns like sianoukville its cheaper. Siam reap is too but never been there.

I guess everyones idea of livable is so different. I don't want a dump, but I do have a budget so I guess I will need to really look hard for a nice place in a safe area that is no more than $375. I am trying to look online for rentals to get an idea of quality of living and prices. I do also know from living in Ecuador most people don't advertise they just hang a sign or go by word of mouth. I imagine it is the same in both Thailand and Cambodia.

I absolutely love the advice and opinions everyone is offering!! Every little tidbit of information is incredibly helpful! I can see I will have a very difficult time choosing between the two countries!! From what I have gathered Thailand is a more advanced country. The commerce is better and it is possibly less expensive than Cambodia. The healthcare is better. I have been reading the forums on Thailand on this website and I guess one of the biggest concerns I have is that most foreigners don't seem very happy in Thailand. There are more negative complaints and anti Thai rhetoric than there are positive statements. I guess I don't understand why there are so many people living there if they are so unhappy with the way of life there. I guess all that negativity gives me cause for pause.

What I have gathered about Cambodia by reading their forums is that it has a much easier visa system, the people are friendlier, it is possibly more expensive than Thailand, the commerce is not as good as Thailand, the country as a whole is not as advanced as Thailand, the foreigners that live there seem to be happier in their surroundings as they are much more positive than the foreigners living in Thailand. The healthcare kind of sucks.

Yes this will be a most difficult decision!!!

I don't really see what the issue is as far as deciding what country as your best bet is to spend a couple of months in each and see which place feels the comfortable for your lifestyle.

Once you are in Cambodia or Thailand its very easy to travel from one country to the other.

I have traveled all over both Thailand and Cambodia and each has its good and bad points.

I think if you are careful where you choose to live in both places you can live cheaply but I would say Sihanoukville in Cambodia is probably the pick of places for low cost living provided you are careful and have reasonable expectations on living in modest accommodation and if you can live cheaply near the beach then why wouldn't you do it?, I also recently visited Kampot and it also looked like a nice place and would have potential as a long term location and well worth a visit.

Thailand would be a bit more difficult to select a long term location simply because there are more places to choose from.

Personally I like Hua Hin and Cha am but I tend to like beach locations anyway.

My advice would be to steer clear of Pattaya as a long term location as its getting overrun with Russians and Arabs these days, it always was a sleazy shit hole but its getting worse than ever there recently.

Its fine for a few days of fun but not a long term option (just my humble opinion)

You will no doubt find a girlfriend if you are in either country long enough and that could be your biggest expense, not so much keeping your girlfriend but also supporting her family as well. ...just be careful and don't say I didn't warn you.

Do some reading on the Internet about relationships with Thai women and you will see what I mean.

There are also lots of books on the topic.

Thai women can make great wives and girlfriend's but you need to manage things carefully and do your research and due diligence to find a good one..... steer clear of bar girls as long term prospects would be my advice and much of the negativity you read on here about Thailand I expect comes from guys who have had bad experience with women. ..many from the bar or massage trade.

Thailand does have great medical care and dental and Cambodia is shit as far as that is concerned.

But take my advice and spend some time in both and travel around a bit before you decide as its an important decision to make moving to a new country so invest some time and a little money to help you make the right choice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

By the way. ..

Forgot looking on the Internet for a rental place as they are all expensive and targeted at lazy foreigners who cannot get off thiet arse and do some research on the ground.

You will do far better looking locally your self and if you can find someone local who can speak the language to help you that will be even better.

Hire someone for a few days to help you as it will not cost much and you will get a far better deal.

Read this book. ..it could save you thousands of dollars particularly with regards to women but it also has many other good tips and information.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0058DX2EK/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

I absolutely love the advice and opinions everyone is offering!! Every little tidbit of information is incredibly helpful! I can see I will have a very difficult time choosing between the two countries!! From what I have gathered Thailand is a more advanced country. The commerce is better and it is possibly less expensive than Cambodia. The healthcare is better. I have been reading the forums on Thailand on this website and I guess one of the biggest concerns I have is that most foreigners don't seem very happy in Thailand. There are more negative complaints and anti Thai rhetoric than there are positive statements. I guess I don't understand why there are so many people living there if they are so unhappy with the way of life there. I guess all that negativity gives me cause for pause.

What I have gathered about Cambodia by reading their forums is that it has a much easier visa system, the people are friendlier, it is possibly more expensive than Thailand, the commerce is not as good as Thailand, the country as a whole is not as advanced as Thailand, the foreigners that live there seem to be happier in their surroundings as they are much more positive than the foreigners living in Thailand. The healthcare kind of sucks.

Yes this will be a most difficult decision!!!

I don't really see what the issue is as far as deciding what country as your best bet is to spend a couple of months in each and see which place feels the comfortable for your lifestyle.

Once you are in Cambodia or Thailand its very easy to travel from one country to the other.

I have traveled all over both Thailand and Cambodia and each has its good and bad points.

I think if you are careful where you choose to live in both places you can live cheaply but I would say Sihanoukville in Cambodia is probably the pick of places for low cost living provided you are careful and have reasonable expectations on living in modest accommodation and if you can live cheaply near the beach then why wouldn't you do it?, I also recently visited Kampot and it also looked like a nice place and would have potential as a long term location and well worth a visit.

Thailand would be a bit more difficult to select a long term location simply because there are more places to choose from.

Personally I like Hua Hin and Cha am but I tend to like beach locations anyway.

My advice would be to steer clear of Pattaya as a long term location as its getting overrun with Russians and Arabs these days, it always was a sleazy shit hole but its getting worse than ever there recently.

Its fine for a few days of fun but not a long term option (just my humble opinion)

You will no doubt find a girlfriend if you are in either country long enough and that could be your biggest expense, not so much keeping your girlfriend but also supporting her family as well. ...just be careful and don't say I didn't warn you.

Do some reading on the Internet about relationships with Thai women and you will see what I mean.

There are also lots of books on the topic.

Thai women can make great wives and girlfriend's but you need to manage things carefully and do your research and due diligence to find a good one..... steer clear of bar girls as long term prospects would be my advice and much of the negativity you read on here about Thailand I expect comes from guys who have had bad experience with women. ..many from the bar or massage trade.

Thailand does have great medical care and dental and Cambodia is shit as far as that is concerned.

But take my advice and spend some time in both and travel around a bit before you decide as its an important decision to make moving to a new country so invest some time and a little money to help you make the right choice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As I am a married woman I guess I can disregard your advise.

lots of furnished apartments in PP for $250-$500 a month.

I looked for a week in pp, everything near 250 was a shit hole except one nice place but you had to go up 3 flights on a narrow circular outdoor stairway in the rain that I wouldnt want to be too drunk on and no place to put things outside like a bicycle.

Its more expensive here generally. I'm not sure about the $500 range, I can't see spending 6k a year on rent.

If you go to smaller towns like sianoukville its cheaper. Siam reap is too but never been there.

I guess everyones idea of livable is so different. I don't want a dump, but I do have a budget so I guess I will need to really look hard for a nice place in a safe area that is no more than $375. I am trying to look online for rentals to get an idea of quality of living and prices. I do also know from living in Ecuador most people don't advertise they just hang a sign or go by word of mouth. I imagine it is the same in both Thailand and Cambodia.

Looking outside of PP -- or, if in PP, on the outskirts/in neighborhoods less popular with foreigners - will help. But of course the downside of this is that you wouldn't have much foreign company about and/or have fewer conveniences/comforts, less access to Western grocery items nearby etc.

To be in the heart of PP and close to bars/restaurants/shops with Western goods, and in a nice place, you are going to have to pay more than that, or else share a place. This last option is pretty common since there are still more large houses for rent than small apartments, often Westerners get roomates to share rent. But that has its downsides as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

How much would it be for a house with garden not western style, no air, no furniture, local price on the outskirts of PP?

Which province? It depends. Be specific please. In Bangkok you can find house per 15.000 THB /mo until 100.000 THB /mo or even more expensive. But for a house lessa than 15.000 THB /mo will be very hard to find. You need to get in your boots and look around. Try around Min Buri, Suwarnabhumi Airport, lots of houses, maybe cheaper! Good Luck. thumbsup.gif

PP= Phnom Phen NOT bangkok

HOUSE;

a house out towards the ariport runs $450-600 in a gated communtiy, ( have a friend that has one) 2 stories, small yard, 3 bedroom, semi furnished

U can also find houses across the Japanese bridge but u need look hard, have one friend has a home right on the Mekong $250/month but small but great views!!

Another has a home near russian market, 4 bedroom, all teak floors, big kitchen $1,200/month

IN the gatted community of Northridge 4 bedroom $2,500

PP u really need look an be lucky