Does anyone with kids ignore Christmas in Thailand?

goatfarmer

Sure, there are many childless people here who ignore Christmas. One of the joys of living in a Buddhist country is the ability to escape the commotion of Christmas. But what about those of us with children? Would it be a mistake to deprive our children of the Christmas experience because we are a bunch of old humbug curmudgeons hiding behind our Isaan wives' Buddhist apron strings?

Sure, there are many childless people here who ignore Christmas. One of the joys of living in a Buddhist country is the ability to escape the commotion of Christmas. But what about those of us with children? Would it be a mistake to deprive our children of the Christmas experience because we are a bunch of old humbug curmudgeons hiding behind our Isaan wives' Buddhist apron strings?

Based on this post hadn't you better ask your isaan wife ?

I think that it is important to share many different things with our children. I have never been one to celebrate any holiday but I do go into great detail sharing with my daughter what christmas is and what has become.

I don't do a tree or the other western traditions, but we do our own traditions. Christmas is about sharing and thinking of others, so why wouldn't you do it?

• Like 1

I think that it is important to share many different things with our children. I have never been one to celebrate any holiday but I do go into great detail sharing with my daughter what christmas is and what has become.

I don't do a tree or the other western traditions, but we do our own traditions. Christmas is about sharing and thinking of others, so why wouldn't you do it?

christmas is about greed

• Like 1

No, I don't do Christmas here.

Thais celebrate New Year so our celebrations and gift giving to the children are kept until then. We have a few decorations up and some fairy lights but again all to do with the party we are hosting on New Years Eve. Saying that, until my wife and I moved into the village there was no presents given or recieved at all.

Birthdays were not even celebrated or in any way acknowledged. Some of the neices and nephews were not even aware of their birthday.

I see that some say that schools here in Thailand do not close for Christmas yet the schools here in Prachonchai are closed today and tomorow.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation. Personally, I think Christmas, certainly for what it is meant to be, a Christian festival, lost all that decades ago. It is now for me a commercial hunting ground, where many are forced to participate to comply with the societies that surround them. But that is just me.

Here in Thailand, the tree is up, the turkey is in the oven as I type this and the kids and a couple of close friends will be coming home this afternoon for the meal and a bit of entertainment..............wink.png Little bit hard to be 'Ba Humbug' with all this going on.

But this is all from the Thai side with very little input from me. I have nothing against parties or against excuses for parties, which puts me in a dilemma about my thoughts for Christmas.

Still, while the thoughts are with me, may I take this opportunity to wish all the readers a very Merry Christmas and a more important Happy New Year from myself, Mrs. Chrisinth, the kids and Fa Sai & Phayu (our Siberians)

Christmas has become a commercial joke with the focus on material things. Not "celebrating" or participating in this

is far from deprivation. I've had some wonderful Christmas's, especially those where I've totally surprised either my children or

others with something never expected, but also not bought. The obligation that Christmas has become is not something I would want

to impose on others. I've hated those days shopping and balancing gifts for each of the kids just to keep it fair. Or having to get something for

someone just because they gave us something last year. Christmas is far from important in my eyes, but more of a lesson of compassion for those that get caught up in the herd mentality and conditioning, something opposite of what Jesus supposedly taught, materialism and lust.

Just sayin'

• Like 1

MAJIC, on 25 Dec 2013 - 03:45, said:

Depriving Children of Christmas,is taking away part of their childhood. And just because you are a miserable old skinflint.

And did you ever read Charles Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" ?

Then you encourage other cultures taking religious holidays/celebrations form others. If these kids have never experienced Christmas why introduce them to it, if they are growing up in Thailand, celebrate Thai culture, or do you think they should also be introduced to Ramadan, Passover or any other cultural celebrations.