Umbilical Hernia Repair

JerryNelson

I'm looking for recommendations as to where and by whom to have an umbilical hernia repaired. I live in Chiang Mai, but might be willing to have the repair done in Bangkok if there are good reasons. So far I have identical diagnosis from Rajavej Chiangmai Hospital and Chiang Mai Ram hospital. The cost is less at Rajavej, but they are unwilling or unable to take Tri-Care for life insurance up front. Chiang Mai Ram claims they will take Tri-Care for life up front, but they have not been at all re-assuring when it comes to billing. I really don't want to make this about paperwork, I know this is Thailand. Where is the best place to have this procedure done, and by whom?

Thank you in advance,

All adult umbilical hernia should be repaired due to high risk of complication. Not sure why those hospitals will not accept your insurrance but it probably a good idea to find places to have it repaired.

If you dont mind the wait and long line, saundok hospital aka maharaj hospital will definitely resolve your problem. It might be helpful to ask your thai friend to call them up to see if they will accept your insurrance. I can garantee you that most if not all surgeons in all private hospitals in chiangmai used to work or currently work there.

• 4 weeks later...

Cost will vary greatly by surgeon and hospital. About 80K - 150K (baht) at a private hospital , maybe a third of that at a government hospital.

Yes, same surgeon can do both. Any general surgeon can do hernia repairs, inguinal and umbilical.

• Like 1

Cost will vary greatly by surgeon and hospital. About 80K - 150K (baht) at a private hospital , maybe a third of that at a government hospital.

Yes, same surgeon can do both. Any general surgeon can do hernia repairs, inguinal and umbilical.

Thanks Sheryl. Would Chulalongkorn be a good place to start for a good split between price and service? I am not by any means afraid of Thai style hospitals. Are hernia repairs simple enough that I shouldn't worry too much about where I go but should think more about the price?

Chula is fine but if you use the public channel expect long waits and a lot of red tape.

You can reduce this somewhat by using the "clinic nawk wela" (after hours OPD - a semi-private arrangement) on the 13th floor starts about 4 PM. Register first on the ground floor, then tel the nurse on 13 you need to see an experienced general surgeon for a hernia repair who speaks English well. If you don't speak Thai well, bring along a Thai speaker.

i would not worry at all about the where, any major hospital is fine in that regard, but give some thought to the who i.e. the skill/experience of the surgeon. If you go through the public channel at a government hospital, much of the surgery will be done by residents in training (albeit under supervision) and that can be a negative. You want a surgeon who has done many of these procedures.

If you don't mind paying a little more (but still much less than at a for-profit), St Louis Hospital on Sathorn is a good option. My nephew had an inguinal hernia repair there by Dr. DR. NARONGSAK JONGSIRI and we were quite happy with him. It was 1-2 years back and came to under 70K, that was with a semi-private room and only 1 night in the hospital. Private room would add to cost as would a second night in the hospital. Here as in most hospitals the admissions people try to sell you on the most expensive rooms, ignore. In particular ignore the "VIP" options, a waste of money. Go for either a standard private or semi-private room, you won't be in it all that long.

• Like 1