Re-adjusting Back At Home

Lucifer

I know a few friends who visit Thailand for a few months at a time.

They seem to find it more and more difficult to re-adjust to life

back in the UK. Socially, they forget, or can't be bothered, to keep in touch with

friends and work collegues.

In general, they tend to keep to themselves.

Anyone else find this?

I know a few friends who visit Thailand for a few months at a time.

They seem to find it more and more difficult to re-adjust to life

back in the UK. Socially, they forget, or can't be bothered, to keep in touch with

friends and work collegues.

In general, they tend to keep to themselves.

Anyone else find this?

Not only your friends, i too lost my way on my home country and don't even know which way to head. :D:o:D It is just like another foreign tourist visiting his own country.

Edited by Thaising

Yes! Been through it myself.

I got this 'Thailand thing' under my skin after my first visit and it got stronger and stronger.

I Found I had nothing in common with 'non Thailand' people and didn't have time for them. Thankfully through sites like this one amongst others I was able to build a network of mates in the UK who all had the 'Thailand Thing' and so could leave the rest of the boring f*ckers to rattle on about mortgages, cars, kids, income etc.....

I'm in my 19th year living overseas, I go back to the UK once sometimes twice a year, the longest I've been without a trip back was three and half years.

Each time I go back I find from the moment I arrive at Heathrow I am always surprised how easily I fit back into life in the UK.

I don't pine for some place else and I love spending time with old friends and enjoying all of what Britain has to offer.

Those constant moans about cold wet, miserable Britain are quite alien to my own experience.

If anything depresses me back in the UK its people who I used to work with in Thailand constantly reminiscing the same two years they spent in Thailand instead of making the best of life in the UK.

The UK's a great place and I'm thankful of the privilege I have of enjoying the best of many places.

Agree Guesthouse.

I've lived overseas for much longer than you and have

been home far fewer times. Every time I do go back though, I'm also

always impressed by the country. Clean, affluent, efficient.

I think the one's who rant on about how bad it is in their home countries

are the ones who did'nt make the cut :o. And if you can't hack it in your homeland

then you have no chance elsewhere.

Just me two bobs worth.

Naka.

Edited by naka

I'm in my 19th year living overseas, I go back to the UK once sometimes twice a year, the longest I've been without a trip back was three and half years.

Each time I go back I find from the moment I arrive at Heathrow I am always surprised how easily I fit back into life in the UK.

I don't pine for some place else and I love spending time with old friends and enjoying all of what Britain has to offer.

Those constant moans about cold wet, miserable Britain are quite alien to my own experience.

If anything depresses me back in the UK its people who I used to work with in Thailand constantly reminiscing the same two years they spent in Thailand instead of making the best of life in the UK.

The UK's a great place and I'm thankful of the privilege I have of enjoying the best of many places.

Well said Guesthouse, far too many on here knock it, but so lucky to have it to fall back on. Haven't been back in 3 years but I wouldn't find it a problem settling in again, as long as I knew I was coming back to Muang Thai. :o Would be nice to have the dosh to do a weekend whim visit for a beer every few months.

You can't take your holiday home, only memories of it.

Falling in love with a holiday destination is easy to do. Romantic holiday involvements add to the pressure of returning home.

If you have properly set up your home and your life, you should be happy to get back to the land of reality and not dwell too much on the land of fantasy. :o

I'm in my 18th year of living abroad.

I have been back maybe 5 times in total, each time I planned on staying for two weeks or more but I always hopped on a plane somewhere after a few days. I just couldn't stand it.

I think I never much liked the place when I was growing up now that I look back on it. Probably something to do with the fact that my parents moved to bloody Yorkshire from my native Wales when I was about 10. :o The only thing I occasionally look back fondly on is walking in the Dales and family holidays in the Gower, everything else I remember about living there makes me gag.

I can't put my finger on any real reason why I hate it. After so long away I just don't fit in anymore: I have no friends there anymore and I am not particularly close to my family, I have no idea what people are talking about when they are discussing whatever is popular on television or current in local politics or UK sports whenever I visit and I am ashamed to admit that I have no interest in finding out. I just couldn't give a hoot.

I will probably be going back soon because my wife has never seen it and wants to visit; I have wriggled out of showing her the UK for 7 years so far! I pray that acting as a guide will make it more tolerable but deep down I am dreading the trip.

I got this 'Thailand thing' under my skin after my first visit and it got stronger and stronger.

I Found I had nothing in common with 'non Thailand' people and didn't have time for them.

leave the rest of the boring f*ckers to rattle on about mortgages, cars, kids, income etc.....

:o well said. I can relate to alot of that. :D

don't get me wrong the UK has alot going for it - stable economics, politics and education & employment opportunities etc etc......

......but it's also a miserable, repetitive, conservative, expensive, cold, chavvy c*nt of a place sometimes.

:D

the pro's and con's kind of cancel theirselves out IMO so I'm left in limbo about moving away. :D

Edited by game4shame

There appears to be a lot of discontent amongst Brits now resident in the UK.

The "nanny" state which forbids this, prevents that, and is generally too soft on crime irritates and annoys a lot.

Britain is a very controlled society.....with individual human rights seriously eroded in the last twenty years.

However, the ubiquitous "yob culture" which makes practically every town and city centre a no-go area every weekend also upsets most folk. They seem powerless to do anything about it.

And there is dissatisfaction about the large number of immigrants now residing in the country; there have been large increases in the number of Eastern Europeans etc. recently.

Middle England is not happy!

Also, in the last year house prices appear to have levelled off - in fact - in most places - property prices have fallen for the first time in a long time.

This doesn't bode well for a poulation that has for the last decade been obsessed with the increase in the price of their home and the resultant wealth which "appears" to have fallen on their plate.

Still a great place, but really glad I live in Thailand.....and a bloody sight cheaper for a start! :o

Again sighting

And there is dissatisfaction about the large number of immigrants now residing in the country
as a negative when you yourself have emigrated overseas is surely a joke. Edited by GuestHouse

Again sighting
And there is dissatisfaction about the large number of immigrants now residing in the country
as a negative when you yourself have emigrated overseas is surely a joke.

I'm referring to the sentiments of Brits living back home, which don't necessarily reflect my own.

No adjustment required if you go back each year (I do). It's not like the world changes THAT fast. Go back, note a few new flyovers, a new restaurant or two, and that's that. Pretty much the same for "getting adjusted" when one gets back to the LOS actually.

If you allow several years to pass at a time though, IMO you're more likely to have problems.

:o

I'm with guesthouse on this one. Thailand has been my home for 17 years but I enjoy my trips home each year. Sure it takes a few days to readjust (jet lag as well) but usually I find I slot right in. Sure, I find myself doing the wrong thing from time to time (the asian "come here" wave :o) but I always enjoy my trips back to visit my family (am here now!) and don't really have adjustment issues at all.