New General Election Proposed For Oct. 22

Mr Purachai, as straight as a ruler,

Through the grapevine i have heard some different gossip about him...more like a product of the Thai version of don't-ask-don't-tell policy... :o:D

??? Surely nothing like what's been said about Surakiart? Or not?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol ...

the PAD has done nothing of note for ages .... they won't unless some backtracking of Thaksin happens .....

Yeah, well, other than several PAD leaders forming now a political party, even though according to you a few weeks ago they had no political ambitions... :o

Several of the PAD leaders (the 5 Leaders?) are building a new party?

I know I stated Sondhi wasn't interested in running for office and proved it byt not voting

Edited by jdinasia

I know I stated Sondhi wasn't interested in running for office and proved it byt not voting

Political ambitions with whatever benefits come along does not necessarily mean having to run for office. Lets wait and see how this develops...

was that a yes or no on the 5 LEADERS of the PAD?

You must have missed the article I posted this morning. Here's the relevant section again, just for your reference.

New parties sprouting already

The Nation

May 17, 2006

The People's Alliance for Democracy has decided to jump into the political fray by founding a new party called the "Mass Party". And its one aim is to crusade against Thaksinomics.

The party has an unconventional political agenda. It vows not to field any MP candidates in its first five years.

"Our objective is to campaign against Thaksinomics," a PAD leader, Somkiat Pongpaibun, said yesterday. "If we field MP candidates, we will be trapped in vicious circles of money politics."

Somkiat would be joined by former Palang Dharma Party leader Chaiwat Sinsuwong and the Campaign for Popular Democracy's Pipop Thongchai to continue the political activities established under the PAD banner, a source said.

Mass Party will be just one of the new political parties that are set to spring up following the apparent ability of MPs to change allegiance with 90 days to establish party membership and qualify for candidacy under the terms of the Constitution.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/05/17...es_30004216.php

Still trying to make out what this all means, but they're definitely up to something. And just because Sondhi says something doesn't mean he's not going to something else. It's not like the man hasn't ever changed his mind before...

Edited by tettyan

you're responding to the baiting, jd..... :o

when you're right, which you are.... leave well enough alone. Stay above the fray.

so what if one PAD leader decides to start a party... they've stated they won't field candidates for MP for five years... besides, there's 33 political parties in Thailand now, what's one more?

They are, for the most part, insignificant, and there's far bigger fish to fry.

Despite everyone, including the Government House janitor, telling EC to resign, they just keep right on going... appointing yet another

sub-committee to investigate what another sub-committee already found out... that TRT is criminally responsible for offenses in election process...

Apparently they didn't like that.... so poof!... just appoint another

sub-committee to redo things and come up with more favorable results.

The stronger the EC protests that they are not protecting TRT, the bigger the pile of manure becomes outside their office door.

Edited by sriracha john

you're responding to the baiting, jd..... :o

I was under the impression that your post yesterday was a genuine offer to bury the hatchet. My answer was genuine.

I fear that i might have been mistaken in my interpretition.

Now, tell me, please, was i wrong in believing that you would like to stop the childish feud between us?

sriracha john and colpyat.

Keep it simple please guys. Debate is a good thing, but it seems in this case debate can cause friction.

SJ, don't let CP get to you (:D) CP, ignore SJ (:o)

Kiss and make up and get on with it.

Cheers

/mod

No worries... he doesn't get to me... just bores me...which is why I ignore him.... but thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

back to the topic... it looks as if the EC Chairman finally turned up his hearing aid for those that have been shouting for his resignation. Will he follow through?

EC chairman thinks about resigning

The Chairman of the Election Commission of Thailand (EC) Wasana Permlarp said here on Wednesday that he is considering stepping down, saying he will make a decision after completing his pending work.

Pressured by both the former opposition bloc and civic groups to step down, the remaining election commissioners are feeling the heat now from the country's top three courts, including the Supreme Court, the Administrative Court and the Constitution Court. ...and the Senate.... and distinguished academics... and the Law Society of Thailand....and... and ad infinitum (including the Government House janitor)

Pol Gen Wasana told journalists that he might announce his resignation after his work at the election agency is complete.

"It's now a countdown period for me at the EC. ....let's help him count down, shall we? 100...99...3...2...1... Bye ! I'm not clinging to the post as some have alleged," he said, "but I'm accelerating my activities to complete my work, including written comments on election petitions."

"Once my work is complete, I may decide to step down," he noted.

hmmm... that line sounds strange familiar to something his "puppet-master" might utter...

The remaining election commissioners are believed to be ready to follow the EC chief's move, according to sources inside the agency.

The country's top three courts last week ruled to nullify the April 2 general election on the grounds that it was against the constitution.

They suggested that the election commissioners resign en masse to end the political stalemate and to pave the way for the selection of a new EC panel.

Another election commissioner, Gen Charupat Ruangsuwan, resigned on Monday.

- BP

The EC Chairman needs to quicken the pace for his countdown to resignation... Hurry Up! :

Supporters of troubled EC turn to violence

The Election Commission's office on Rama I Road turned into a battleground yesterday between the EC's supporters and protesters.

Alleged supporters of the EC launched physical attacks and destroyed a stage set up by people calling for the three remaining commissioners to quit.

The situation worsened when EC supporters physically assaulted a female reporter and cameramen from The Nation Channel. :DAre these "EC supporters" actually unemployed Caravan of Poor thugs??

One female "supporter" tried to hit the reporter with an umbrella and accused her of being biased against the government and the EC. Others from her group threw water bottles at cameramen from the channel.

The attack on the TV crew prompted policemen, who had been standing by idly, to intervene. But some police simply left the scene before the fight was stopped. They said it was the end of their shift. hmmm... the BIB don't get any bonus points for their non-intervention tactics...

Some 700 supporters travelled from Chantaburi province, the hometown of EC chairman Vasana Puemlarp, to give him moral support. They presented flowers, fruit and replicas of King Taksin, King Naresuan and the Emerald Buddha to the EC chief.

Vasana greeted them emotionally, hugging the group leader, who appeared to be his kin, and weeping in response to their show of support. He declared to all that he would continue to honestly do his duty for the country.

However, responding to reporters' questions about the mounting pressure for him to step down, Vasana hinted he planned to resign - eventually.

"I certainly think about it. I'm just a human being. But I was elected through a legitimate selection process according to the Constitution ... I won't tell you when but you'll know when the time arrives," Vasana told reporters.

Picha Jitsilp, a lawyer who was among Vasana's supporters, questioned the Constitution Court's authority to nullify the April 2 snap election.

"I'll file the case with the Parliamentary Ombudsman and the Administrative Court to investigate whether the Constitution Court interfered with the EC's democratic duty," the lawyer said.

terrific.... clog up the courts even more with garbage... :o

There was another heated clash when the group prepared to leave the compound, with supporters verbally abusing opponents, including members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), and ripping down their posters and banners.

The event stirred interest from pedestrians and motorists on Rama I Road, causing a traffic jam.

The PAD anti-government group, whose mass protests earlier this year pressured Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra to step down, announced plans yesterday to stage a rally on Monday to pressure the commission to resign.

- TN

EC chairman thinks about resigning

Ah, we are making progress !

Each day is a new day with khun Vasana. Go for it Vasa ! Keep it tight ! Ah ahhhahaha

This guy is such a living and walking joke...i mean... :o

TRT Under Attack albeit... not physically like the previous post

Senators say party must be dissolved

Appeal to Attorney General's Office points to 'explicit details' of cheating; legal expert questions their neutrality

Nine senators appealed to the Attorney-General yesterday to initiate moves to dissolve the Thai Rak Thai Party after referring to a report from an Election Commission investigating panel that alleged it had hired small parties to contest the April 2 election.

The Constitution Court will be asked to rule on the case if the Attorney-General finds convincing evidence that Thai Rak Thai was involved in wrongdoing.

The senators claim the EC panel's report proves that the Thai Rak Thai Party, under caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, undermined national security by hiring small parties to run in polls for the sole purpose of gaining administrative power, regardless of legitimacy and laws.

They say Thai Rak Thai violated the Constitution, in particular article 63, which states a political party will face dissolution if it attempts to "overthrow the government with the King as Head of the State under this Constitution or to acquire the power to rule the country by any means which is not in accordance with the modes provided in this Constitution".

The panel's report contains explicit details of how Thai Rak Thai leaders allegedly approached the heads of small parties and devised a means of changing official information on party membership registration to allow unqualified candidates to run as competitors to Thai Rak Thai in the April 2 election.

The Attorney-General will pass the case to the Constitution Court to make a ruling if convincing evidence is found of Thai Rak Thai violating the law.

The senators' move is the latest attempt by opponents of the ruling party to have it dissolved, after its bitter rival, the Democrat Party, filed a complaint with the Election Commission, forcing the commission to set up the investigative panel in the first place.

The senators claim they have to bypass the EC because its three current members have no legitimacy to handle the case following the Constitution Court's ruling that it managed the April 2 vote illegally.

- TN

post-9005-1147916534.jpg

Police try to separate two groups of people brawling at the Election Commission headquarters yesterday, as supporters of the EC tried to attack activists who demanded the poll commissioners' resignation. Angry supporters removed placards and signboards attacking the EC and assaulted some reporters and photographers. — BP

Punches thrown as rivals clash

A pro-government rally at the office of the Election Commission (EC) turned ugly yesterday when some demonstrators assaulted an anti-government protester and a reporter. The pro-government group, who gathered under the Democracy Protection Federation, turned up at the EC to shower the embattled agency with support yesterday afternoon.

They stormed angrily through the tents, placards and belongings of the anti-government demonstrators _ the People's Alliance for Democracy and student activists _ who have an ongoing rally outside the Sri Chullasap Building demanding the commissioners' resignation.

Some PAD members tried to stop the rampage _ the second at the EC headquarters in less than two weeks. One PAD member was punched, which drew cheers from the pro-goverment group. About 30 police standing guard there stayed put.

The group later demolished all anti-EC placards and tents in front of the building. Some demonstrators scolded the PAD members and later targeted a group of reporters, accusing them of biased reporting against the government.

Upon spotting a woman reporter from Nation Channel, a woman demonstrator tried to hit her with an umbrella, but missed and instead hurt a cameraman. That prompted other cameramen to fight back. Police stepped and separated them.

The pro-goverment group still threw plastic bottles at reporters and cameramen and ordered them to stop photographing.

A fight almost developed between a demonstrator and the photographers, but police took the man inside the building and the situation cooled down.

- BP

Wasana 'thinking about' stepping down

The Election Commission chairman's defiance appears to be wavering in the face of public pressure for the commissioners to resign. The Criminal Court's May 29 examination of lawsuits against the poll commissioners is emerging as a new catalyst which might also persuade the remaining three commissioners to quit.

EC chairman Wasana Permlarp said he was thinking about stepping down, ''because I have a conscience.''

''For now I need to be patient. When the time comes, you will know my decision,'' he said. Earlier, Pol Gen Wasana had insisted he would remain in office, and that the EC had done nothing wrong.

The softening emerged a day after poll commissioner Charupat Ruangsuwan was confirmed to have resigned. But Gen Charupat's move seemed not to be the only catalyst.

Supreme Court judges yesterday told reporters to follow the Criminal Court's ruling on lawsuits filed against the EC by the Democrat party and the anti-Thaksin People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

Democrats Thavorn Senniam and Suthep Thaugsuban, caretaker senator Nirun Pitakwatchara and members of the PAD have accused the EC of defamation and of malfeasance in the way they organised the April 2 general election and subsequent by-elections.

If the commissioners are found guilty, they could be jailed up to 10 years and/or fined up to 200,000 baht for malfeasance, and jailed for up to two years and/or fined up to 200,000 baht for defamation.

Prinya Nakchudtree and Virachai Naewboonnien are the other two commissioners under pressure to resign.

Charan Pakdeethanakul, the Supreme Court president's secretary-general, said the commissioners' continued insistence on staying raised the question why some people did not care for morality and ethics.

If they refused to go, the country's top courts would talk about finding a solution. He declined to elaborate.

Mr Charan has been conveying increasingly strong demands by the Supreme Court, the Supreme Administrative Court and the Constitution Court for the poll commissioners to resign.

But Pol Gen Wasana stressed he would not make up his mind immediately as the EC had yet to officially approve over 300 rulings on various poll complaints.

The EC has laid down informally its verdicts on matters including requests for fresh elections, disqualification of candidates and vote recounts.

Although the verdicts have been implemented, EC staff have yet to finish their written accounts for the election commissioners to sign.

''There is a really important task to speed up, that is to finish the verdicts. That's a must,'' Pol Gen Wasana said.

He denied he and his colleagues were staying to protect the Thai Rak Thai party in a case where it is accused of hiring small parties to act as its competitors in the April 2 general election.

Pol Gen Wasana said the judgement on the TRT case would be based on facts and evidence and he had always adhered to that principle.

Pending completion of the EC's verdicts, Pol Gen Wasana said the EC could also approve the outcome of the Senate election. But that approval would not cover all winning candidates or be accomplished this week because investigations into complaints from four or five provinces had not been concluded.

Asked if he and the other remaining commissioners would stay in office long enough to organise the next general election, Pol Gen Wasana said: ''I am not answering now. You will know when I make my decision.''

Commissioners Prinya and Virachai could not be reached for comment.

A source at the EC said staff had been asked to finish the verdicts as soon as possible and the task should be completed in a week.

Instead of resigning, the commissioners might ask the Constitution Court to get the Supreme Court to fill two seats on the EC vacated by Gen Charupat, and Charan Buranaphansri who died in November.

Virat Chinvinijkul, secretary to the Supreme Court, said that in that case, the Supreme Court could meet the order by fielding Supreme Court judges who had already retired or resigned, but would not send any judge in active service.

Meanwhile, the PAD said it would lead a procession on Monday to give moral support to the three courts pressuring the poll commissioners to resign. The procession will move from the Royal Plaza at 6am to the Supreme Court by the Sanam Luang ground. The public is invited.

If the commissioners still refused to quit, the PAD would ask the public to join a massive rally to apply pressure, its core leader Sondhi Limthongkul said.

- BP

I heard the "live" report from the skirmish site on the radio - it was truly a mob by the sound of it - a very angry crowd screaming and shouting.

That's the second time I heard the word "satun" to describe them. First time was Caravan of the Poor leader talking on TV.

Colpyat, how does "satun" measure in your book of offensive Thai words? It wasn't in that song, is it THAT bad?

Jdinasia, I just noticed that "neither" in your signature is misspelled.

Been misspelled/misspelt for ages :o

Fortunately up until this point in my life in Thailand I haven't needed to be an English Teacher ... or pedantic about spelling

Edited by jdinasia

PAD will rally in support of the three courts on May 22

The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will hold a rally on May 22 in support of the Constitution, Administrative and Supreme courts.

PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila (สุริยะใส กตะศิลา) said the rally is meant to give the three courts moral support for their help to solve the country’s political crisis.

Mr. Suriyasai said PAD is firm on its stand against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra making a political comeback.

He asked the people to gather at the Royal Plaza on May 22 before marching to the Supreme Court in a show of their support.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 May 2006

The government denies seeking the postponement of the October 22 election

Cabinet secretary-general Bavornsak Uwanno (บวรศักดิ์ อุวรรณโณ) denies the government has asked the Election Commission (EC) to postpone the election tentatively scheduled for October 22 until after the Ramadan.

Mr. Bavornsak said the EC solely has power to schedule the election date so the government can not ask for any change.

He said the government only told the EC that Muslims may still observe the Ramadan on October 22 and so may not turn out to cast their ballots while polling stations in mosques may not be allowed.

Mr. Bavornsak said the government will not issue the royal decree calling the election until the EC officially sets the date.

PAD will rally in support of the three courts on May 22

The People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will hold a rally on May 22 in support of the Constitution, Administrative and Supreme courts.

Well .... that gives the EC plenty of time to resign BEFORE the rally :o

PAD coordinator Suriyasai Katasila (สุริยะใส กตะศิลา) said the rally is meant to give the three courts moral support for their help to solve the country’s political crisis.

Mr. Suriyasai said PAD is firm on its stand against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra making a political comeback.

He asked the people to gather at the Royal Plaza on May 22 before marching to the Supreme Court in a show of their support.

To futher expound on Post #141:

Rally against EC planned

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) will lead a public march in Bangkok on Monday as a gesture of support for the judicial intervention to end the country's political turmoil.

The march will go from the Royal Plaza to the Supreme Court building, near Sanam Luang.

All five PAD leaders, Chamlong Srimuang, Sondhi Limthongkul, Somsak Kosaisuk, Somkiart Pongpaiboon and Pipop Thongchai, have taken part in organising the march.

Suriyasai said the public should rally behind the courts in their efforts to resolve the political situation in accordance with the statement of His Majesty the King on April 25. And he called on caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the Thai Rak Thai Party and Election Commission to stop acting in defiance of the courts.

Thaksin should go without any preconditions. The PAD is determined to keep him out of politics permanently.

Thaksin's supporters have no reason to seek his return on the pretext of tackling the country's economic problems because his style of leadership was the root cause of the troubled economy in the first place, Suriyasai said.

- TN

Most TRT politicians remains loyal to their party

Most of the Thai Rak Thai politicians are staying with the party while several defections from other parties are expected.

Caretaker Deputy Interior Minister Somchai Sunthornwat (สมชาย สุนทรวัฒน์) said the majority of former TRT MPs would not move out. He denied reports that Sora-at Klinprathum (สรอรรถ กลิ่นประทุม), a key party figure, and the Chon Buri faction would leave TRT. Moreover, many former MPs of other parties have asked to join TRT, he said.

Mr. Somchai also dismissed criticism that the three remaining election commissioners refused to stand down because they wanted to help save TRT after an investigation panel found the party allegedly hired small parties to contest the April 2 election.

He said TRT had done nothing wrong so it did not need protection.

Colpyat, how does "satun" measure in your book of offensive Thai words? It wasn't in that song, is it THAT bad?

You ask me?

Well, i just had a look at the calendar - in a bit more than two weeks we have the "THE SIXTIETH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS OF HIS MAJESTY’S ACCESSION TO THE THRONE" with lots of Royals from all over the world attending. If i am not completely mistaken this might draw at least some media attention, and i can imagine the tone of the articles, such as: Thailand holds grand celebrations while political cises still unsolved, demonstrations of government supporters and opponents clash while Thailand holds grand celebrations, etc .

Now, that is gonna be really good for tourism, one of the big foreign currency earners forThailand. Not speaking of the big investors staying away from Thailand until this mess is solved. Just swell, really swell...

I thought people were asked to let the courts do the job? Which they so far have done. Why the need to keep on demonstrating?

Support for TRT, Democrats wanes

Dwindling support for both Thai Rak Thai and the Democrats is being attributed to allegations of fraud in the April 2 general election, a new poll found yesterday.

The ABAC poll of 1,629 residents in greater Bangkok on May 15 and 16 found that just 28 percent said they would vote for Thai Rak Thai, while 10 percent said they would vote for the Democrats. A further 60 percent of respondents said they were undecided.

The remaining 1.1 percent said they would vote for either Chat Thai, Mahachon, Prachakorn Thai or the Pracharaj party – if it contests the election.

The TRT approval rating is the lowest for five years.

However, ratings for both it and the Democrats have been falling. In a poll conducted on May 8, some 42 percent backed TRT, while 16 percent backed the Democrats, meaning support for the Democrats has dropped 6.2 percent in just over a week.

Poll center director Noppadon Kannika attributed the slump in support for both parties to accusations that they were involved in bribing smaller parties to either boycott the April 2 poll, or submit candidates.

In the poll, 24 percent of respondents believed that the Thai Rak Thai party had paid smaller parties to field candidates, while 13 percent believed the opposition Democrat party had paid smaller parties to boycott the election.

Nearly two-thirds, or 62 percent, were convinced that election fraud of this nature had taken place.

Asked what action should be taken against those who had hired smaller parties to stand or boycott the election, 53.2 percent said the Election Commission should dissolve the political party concerned, 13.3 percent said the EC should take no action, and 33.5 percent were undecided on the matter.

Asked if the three main opposition parties – the Democrats, Chat Thai and Mahachon – should contest the next election, 71 percent said they should field candidates, while four percent said they should boycott the next poll. The remaining 25 percent said they were not sure.

Noppadon also attributed the TRT’s poor showing to declining support for some of its key policies on corruption, illicit drugs, poverty and the southern insurgency. He added that higher living costs due to rising oil prices had also served to erode support for the TRT.

“The Thai Rak Thai party and even the opposition Democrat party should step up their efforts to win public support while campaigning,” said Noppadon. However, he said the time was ripe for the political landscape to change.

“Every cloud has a silver lining. The current political situation is a good opportunity for people to put their heads together and set up new political parties that will hopefully focus on sufficiency economic theories and the fight against corruption,” said Noppadon.

“These new political parties should try to strengthen democracy in the country, along with encouraging protesters to embrace wisdom and reason, instead of emotion and violence, when taking to streets to demonstrate. And more parties will mean greater choice in the next election,” said Noppadon.

Source: ThaiDay - 18 May 2006

PAD plans another march on Monday

Leaders of the People’s Alliance for Democracy confirmed yesterday that it will hold a demonstration on Monday to show its support for a recommendation by the country’s three top courts that the remaining election commissioners resign.

The movement’s leaders also took the opportunity to deny rumors that PAD will form a political party, insisting that it would remain a civic group.

Meeting yesterday at the October 14 Monument after taking part in a ceremony commemorating the May 1992 uprising, the five core leaders of the anti-Thaksin coalition; Sondhi Limthongkul, Pibob Thongchai, Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, Somsak Kosaisuk and Somkiat Pongpaiboon, discussed recent political developments.

They reiterated statements made last week that PAD will only call for further public demonstrations if either the caretaker government or the Election Commission failed to comply with the decisions and recommendations of the courts as instructed by His Majesty the King in a televised address last month.

“The country’s political woes [are] slowly being resolved after His Majesty the King’s address,” said Suriyasai Katasila, a founding PAD member. “However, the caretaker government and the election commissioners remain stubborn and resistant to a peaceful resolution of the crisis.”

“This will cause great danger to society because they say they are complying with the King’s advice but through their actions they are not,” Suriyasai said.

The PAD leaders called for the immediate resignation of caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who they claim is colluding with the EC to rig the newly announced elections in favor of his Thai Rak Thai party as a way to pave his return to power. They also criticized the caretaker PM for remaining ambiguous on whether he would keep his word and step down.

Pipob stated that the EC is acting like foot soldiers for Thaksin and the TRT party, saying the remaining commissioners should resign immediately.

Monday’s planned demonstration will be held at 6am at the Royal Plaza, with demonstrators marching to the Supreme Court near Sanam Luang.

PAD will not march on the EC’s headquarters on Monday, however, because its leaders expect the remaining election commissioners to resign before then. Sondhi said that although Monday’s march is to provide support for the courts, PAD will not try to meet any judges but will end the march with the reading of a statement.

PAD also denied recent news reports that it was in the process of creating a political party, saying it would continue its fight as an apolitical civic movement.

Somkiat said he had considered forming a party years ago with other civic groups he was involved with.

“We talked about a party that would represent the masses. But that was nothing to do with the PAD and for now it’s just an idea.”

Source: ThaiDay - 18 May 2006

wow ... 28% would vote for TRT? ...

The EC ignores the Courts and refuses to resign ....

PAD on the march again to give people something to compare apples to oranges with?!

And the PAD "leaders" which was in fact ONE named leader and then people .... are NOT forming a political party?

And the PAD "leaders" which was in fact ONE named leader and then people .... are NOT forming a political party?

Seems the usual thing with them - from one day to the next the don't know what they are doing, contradict themselves, deny what they said only a day before, and have no other plan or vision other than a rather simplistic smallest common denominator "Thaksin ough pai".

Not much different than Thaksin.