Why and at what age did you come to Thailand?

i claudius

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1998 at the age of 25 first came for a holiday trip with friends, first time at Pattaya and from first night had fun unlimited and since then each year at least 4 times I'm back to Thailand. It's a serious addiction and m already addicted.

Had a friend in the import export business back in Canada. I had a cruise all planed starting in Porto Rico the flight was $500 US so I thought why should I pay them the money when my mother had enough points on her credit card to pay for the trip I called her and offered her the money she said I could have all the points. I called to make arrangements and they said yes I had enough points. Out of the Blue I said what about Bangkok she said no it would be another $179 I took it just like that.

Cane for one month met my friend here in Bangkok went to Pattaya for a couple of days then back to Bangkok for two days up to Chiang Mai where we parted company and I then went to Phuket Hui Hin back to Bangkok all in a month. Had met a lady here in Chiang Mai kept in touch with her.

In one month of traveling I realized I had not seen any thing really. Came back for 6 months went home settled up every thing and came back here to Chiang Mai where I now live with the lady I had met when first I came here. Been the best 7 years of my life. Her daughter and son in law recently moved here with there two daughters and now I have a Thai family.

Best decision I ever made.

Funny, Nemesis7 mentioned addiction to Thailand (SE Asia?). I said as far back as 1966 and never changed my mind that some people are just naturally 'addicted' to SE Asia. No, I can't explain, gave up trying to explain even to myself. I believe I knew as far back as 1967 that I would be back someday, that this is where I belong. Wish I could explain, can't. I have a neighbor that was stationed here back in '67 (2 tours here, 1 VN) met a lady from Bkk up in Udonthani. Went back to the states, went AWOL bought a ticket back, married her, made a career out of the military and they returned here a few years back. He is perhaps the happiest man I know. Yea, bangkapi times and the women have changed. I would have loved to have been here even back in the 90's, got here in 2002 and knew I had seen the last of that 'period' by the end of 2005. I think a lot of it had to do with the change in the type of farang coming and the way they treated the women. I said then, if you treat women like a whores, eventually they will treat you as just another John. I was right.

At 22/23 I can and studied a semester. Was back 9 months later. Lived here for 3 years and went back to the US and got a real teaching degree. Came back again and just found out I need to go home for family reasons.

TL;DR I arrived around 23, been here for 6 out of the last 9 years. I will have to go home in June, i plan on being back.

A Master's +5-8 will net me a decent pay check.

Ah well at least this topic doesn't come around as often as the "Farang is a racist slur" or "Why are there so many grumpy old men in Thailand".

I was terrified of living a normal life. I dreaded things like, career, marriage, kids, debts, divorce, redundancy, obesity, ill health, and regrets. I was assure by others that I could not escape the expectations of family and society, but I proved them wrong.

Unlike VF, I sampled the normal life.

I had a career requiring me to wear a suit, some minor debts, some responsibility and a couple of mortgages - nothing too heavy, I guess.

I'd deftly managed to swerve marriage, offspring, divorce and obesity but I knew that the looming financial crisis wasn't gonna be pleasant and I was too bored with the career to make the effort in performance that would be required to keep my very comfortable desk when the economy turned down so I decided to bin the career at 40, sell the flat, cut the yapping girlfriend loose, buy precious metals and head off around the planet until the economic furore settled down.

Thailand was stop number one but I'm still here 6 years later.

It's been an absolute scream and I've no regrets whatsoever about my decision.

How funny, EXACTLY the same as my story! In the financial sector for 20 years, cushy number and good money but 45 and bored, no kids, never married,...and like you, could not be arsed to start again, the good times were over! In 2008, finished with the UK GF and left to come here and have not looked back!

Not saying it has been 100% perfect here, but the highs easily outweigh the lows.....would not change a thing.

First I was 2007 traveling and working in Asia, second 2009, and 2013, good experience specially in Thailand, worm people, good food, marriage, now living in Brasil with wife and children, many reasons to back again soon to Thailand and I will. I recommend, the best country in Asia. Love this country, whatever problem they have, Thailand is a wild is all senses, and that is why I love so much this country!

Came to Thailand first time when I was 38 as tourist on a two-week roundtrip in 1987 together with my girlfriend and family. When visiting Chiang Mai I felt that this was a place I one day could live. However did not have a change to come back to Thailand before 2001, when my friends thought I’ve been working to hard for too long time and needed a holiday. Phoned me one day and said I owed him something around 475 Pounds / 750 $. »For what?« I asked. For the ticket he just booked for me to Thailand…! blink.png

My friends dragged me down south to a small fairly unknown island named Samui where we should do nothing but relax at the beach and visit their favorite bar at nighttime. Admit I rather would have stayed in Bangkok. However I did go there, realized there were a much more exciting nightlife with live music and younger folks, than just boring bars with middle-aged customers – and as many before me visiting “Paradise”, I did not wish to return home. Had to come back again and again. whistling.gif

Got a Thai girlfriend in 2003 and did the permanent move when I was 56 in 2005. However, I of course checked some of the other famous locations, like Hua Hin, Phuket, Pattaya – also parts of Isaan – and revisited Chiang Mai, but Koh Samui was and still is, it. tongue.png

Now living a life like in a dream: Wake up every morning in “Paradise” with a stunning view to sea and archipelago, and enjoy my life together with my lovely Thai girlfriend and our little daughter. Still sometimes scared, that it’s nothing but a dream and I shall wake up a snowy and freezing cold winter morning back home in Denmark. sad.png

First came in 1985 having just finished working in the Middle East and before going to college, didn't know what to expect and liked it. Eventually got married and now I have fulfilled a dream and have worked in Bangkok for 18 months - unfortunately it may end in a couple of months and I could be back to Middle East - must have been a bad boy !

In the late 80's I was working my first job in Saudi. During that time I had an Irish colleague who was about to take his first trip abroad outside of KSA. This guy squeezed every dollar that went thru his hands. A friend of mine suggested he go to Thailand. When he returned, he mentioned he had a great time and didn't mind spending more than he originally budgeted. I thought that if this cheapskate actually spent money and enjoyed himself I'd have to go there on vacation too. I went there for my first vacationand have travelled there ever since on holiday until I married a Chiang Mai woman and settled down there.

I was a young 22-year-old US Navy sailor when my first ship, the USS John Paul Jones (DDG-32), made a port call to Pattaya in 1978. The famous hot spot was not so industrialized as it later came to be. I remember walking away from the main action (mostly centered on Thai kickboxing shows & a few go-go bars) for about 20' when I happened upon a small bar. There was a live man-woman sex show occurring on stage. For the price of two ladies' drinks (about $5 U.S.), two ladies got up onstage & performed a lesbian act for me. I've been hooked on Thailand ever since.

I was a young 22-year-old US Navy sailor when my first ship, the USS John Paul Jones (DDG-32), made a port call to Pattaya in 1978. The famous hot spot was not so industrialized as it later came to be. I remember walking away from the main action (mostly centered on Thai kickboxing shows & a few go-go bars) for about 20' when I happened upon a small bar. There was a live man-woman sex show occurring on stage. For the price of two ladies' drinks (about $5 U.S.), two ladies got up onstage & performed a lesbian act for me. I've been hooked on Thailand ever since.

You mean you got hooked on sex shows and go-go bars, not Thailand. One would hope you've gotten past the cheap hookers and into the real Thailand by now.

OH ... since everyone else fessed up and were honest ... Bah Humbug!

I came here in my 40's ... some years later, I'm still in my 40's and my age will depend on just how attractive and young the lovely Lassie I'm conversing with is.

For me ... age is a flexible thing ... at night, with low light, I've been mistaken for being in my 30's ... but that's mainly by me at 1am looking in the bathroom mirror ... David 48 42 38 35 you hunsum man you ... rolleyes.gif

You mean you got hooked on sex shows and go-go bars, not Thailand. One would hope you've gotten past the cheap hookers and into the real Thailand by now.

By cheap I assume you mean inexpensive. I see nothing wrong with hookers; after all, they are no less human than you or I.

The "real" Thailand you mention is a combination of so many things (i.e., see recent ThaiVisa thread on this), most of which I am truly fascinated with. The beautiful Thai girls are absolutely a part of it.

Came in '96 with the wife to check out the sex scene and just get out of the USA. Had a great time. Loved the friendliness and openess of people, food, scenery, not-so-uptight atmosphere, cost, temples, etc. 2010 came back for good single, burned out from being a single dad to an adopted sick girl that was mentally crazy and had to be hospitalized as well as divorced from from 2nd wife who was lazy and massively codependant. My Parkinsons was really bad... I got meds cheap, got healthy fast, did the Jomtien beach life and Pattaya freedom, then found a nice teen gf that was everything I ever wanted. We parted ways when my doc gave me meds that made me crazy for a while... ended up marrying a nice Philippines lady (30yo) last June 29. Now 43 years old and we are moving to Thailand Jan 12! Philippines food is not fresh, not quality, few vegetables, and little flavor... not much to do here. I miss Thailand! Wonder how it will be though without a native Thai gf to do all the bargining and communications.

Sent from my MyPhone A919 Duo using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The sympathy and empathy you all display for trafficked women is astounding. Astounding because it's complexly lacking. I'm sure you can all convince yourself that these women 'enjoy' being go go girls - cheaper than a happy meal - as it's part of 'their culture'. Well guess what- you're wrong.

The sympathy and empathy you all display for trafficked women is astounding. Astounding because it's complexly lacking. I'm sure you can all convince yourself that these women 'enjoy' being go go girls - cheaper than a happy meal - as it's part of 'their culture'. Well guess what- you're wrong.

If you have any links for ladies being trafficked to go go bars please post them Not fishing boats, or factories, or farms. If you have any links to ladies trafficked to go go bars please post them. Not maids or gardeners or bartenders. If you have any links to ladies trafficked to go go bars please post them. If not please edit your post.

Going off topic, we need a new thread?

Are you counting a family asking their daughter or she decides on her own to work gogo as 'trafficing'? Near as I can tell from all of my Thai friends, it IS part of their culture. Good or bad based on my own culture, I don't want to discount other's decisions. If you know of real trafficing, there are many agencies you should report it. Edited by SailingHome

1994 came as an installation supervisor for a project in Bangkok. Was offered a position as director of engineering for a Thai company doing similar work in 1995. After two years established my own company and expanded into Asia . Other than a few long contracts out of the country I have basically stayed in Thailand. I guess i like it here but sometimes it is questionable. I would never rule out going back to my home country.