Pros and cons of "made in Thailand"

AJ Alex

With regards to sport (looking) bikes and dirtbikes/dualsports with a engine size no bigger than 300cc

What is the best option?

I have read that people have problems with bikes that are manufactured in Thailand

Is this true?

I guess a bike that is made in Thailand is easy to repair

But a bike made in japan for example will not need many repairs

Safety is a big issue for me

Thanks

With regards to sport (looking) bikes and dirtbikes/dualsports with a engine size no bigger than 300cc

What is the best option?

I have read that people have problems with bikes that are manufactured in Thailand

Is this true?

I guess a bike that is made in Thailand is easy to repair

But a bike made in japan for example will not need many repairs

Safety is a big issue for me

Thanks

Keep your speed down and don't become too confident, you will be fine!!

I am talking about international brands that are manufactured in Thailand

I have read nothing but bad news about Thai brands

I have considered many things with regards to my first purchase of a big bike

However I am unsure of the importance of where these bikes are made

Something under 200k would be nice

Well nearly all international motorcycle brands manufacturing here try to remain their common standard which they achieve quite well. On the other hand some of these manufactures even export made in thailand vehicles to other countries; even Europe. So in the end it doesn't really matters where its assembled. Choose your model and search the internet for details about any technical problems or call backs.

Logical wise the international big brands cant really afford different standards for different countries that would be a huge impact on their image. Well there might be minor differences from the different factories but mostly optical wise not technical.

In the end you will always find people that claim technical problems due where it was made, like their was a post about a broken frame of a KLX; but i don't believe this comes from where it was assembled. These things can happen everywhere; i recall a KTM made in Austria broke into 2 pieces....

And if you buy from a well known manufacturer you are mostly safe as they have their warraty standards everywhere. A guy here had his motor replaced after it blown apart.

My opinion....

I am talking about international brands that are manufactured in Thailand

I have read nothing but bad news about Thai brands

I have considered many things with regards to my first purchase of a big bike

However I am unsure of the importance of where these bikes are made

Something under 200k would be nice

Owned 6 Thai assembled and manufactured bikes without any problems. Most Thai assembled and manufactured bikes are also sold abroad. Incl Europe and the US. Kawasaki manufactures all up to 650cc 2 cylinders bikes (only) in Thailand for the global market.

Personally I am only interested in locally produced (Intl. brand) bikes because of price (incl parts), resale value and the fact that it is easy to service.

Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki and BMW is on its way, to name a few.

Great thats just what i needed to hear

Providing i can get the finance i will probs go for a ninja, klx, cbr or crf

Now i just need to decide hmmmm.....

• Like 2

If you're going to be mostly riding long distance solo and don't mind the position, the Ninja 300 is the best sporty looking bike. Inside the city or two up the Honda CBR 250/300 will win with the wait for the 300 worth it if only for the styling.

Dual sport your best bet is the CRF 250L/M. Cheaper and a bit more power than the KLX option.

I had a CBR 150R for donkey years; it's still putting around for an inlaw 7 years later. Is bullet-proof. The Ninja 250 from 2008 is also going strong. No issues that can't be attributed to rider error. Haven't seen any indication that Thai built bikes have a much higher incident of issues than Japan built bikes...

• Like 1

no problems on getting a japanese bike made in Thailand. my cbr500r had zero glitches for 20 k km and my previous bike made in thailand, the same, no problems.

of course maybe some parts are not super quality or welding was not made super nicely but strong enough. also they import 500 series hondas, cbr250, crf250, kawasaki er6n and f, versys to abroad like usa and europe, so no worries.

Is there any difference in bikes made in Thailand for export or those for the domestic market ?

The Ninja 250 had FI for Thailand and carbs for USA (and Indonesia?)...those also had a fuel gage rather than temperature.

Are you talking about Thai brands or international brands assemblied in thailand?

What's a Thai brand motorbike? They're all international brands LOL.

Stallion and Tiger spring to mind.

• Like 1

Is there any difference in bikes made in Thailand for export or those for the domestic market ?

Different markets have different emissions laws so we in Thailand usually get the same models they get in California - very strict standards.

Other than that, same same. Gotta love globalization.

I have indeed been bitten by the bike bug.

The reason I want a small bike is because I have no desire to travel faster than 170kph but acceleration is a real buzz for me.

I have already had a nasty experience of travelling too fast and hitting a pothole so I think a 500cc would be too big as it would be my nature to ride it fast.

Also it's for financial reasons. I could buy it but it would leave me with very little. Part of me wants to stop at 300cc simply because I will feel safer at a lower speed

I have indeed been bitten by the bike bug.

The reason I want a small bike is because I have no desire to travel faster than 170kph but acceleration is a real buzz for me.

I have already had a nasty experience of travelling too fast and hitting a pothole so I think a 500cc would be too big as it would be my nature to ride it fast.

Also it's for financial reasons. I could buy it but it would leave me with very little. Part of me wants to stop at 300cc simply because I will feel safer at a lower speed

Get a honda 500 series. They are great and forgiving bikes plus good low down torque and acceleration and cannot go more than 189 kph. They can do it all.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app