Young woman shot 'accidentally' by Phuket policeman

webfact

Young woman shot 'accidentally' by Phuket policeman
Eakkapop Thongtub

1388069627_1.jpg
Pol Sgt Phongsagorn Treeyut of Kathu Police is believed by colleagues to have fired the fatal shot accidentally while ‘teasing’ the victim.

PHUKET: -- A young woman was killed early morning (December 26) in what Kathu police say they believe was an accidental shooting by one of their own.

Officers were called at 7 am to the Fong Beer pub on PangMuangSaiKorRoad in Patong. There, they were shown the body of 27-year-old SawitreeKaewnin, sitting at a table outside, her head on the table in a lake of blood. She had been dead about two hours.

Next to her was a black leather pistol holster. On the ground was a shoulder bag, an 11mm pistol and an case for spare ammunition. In the pub near the door, they discovered an 11mm bullet casing and a magazine containing five bullets.

They discovered that Ms Sawitree had been shot behind the ear, with the bullet exiting through her forehead. They took the body to Patong hospital for further examination.

In the hospital they encountered Pol Sgt Phongsagorn Treeyut of Kathu Police, being treated for a gunshot wound to his left wrist.

Witnesses told them that Sgt Phongsagorn came to see Ms Sawitree, who worked as a waitress in the pub, and they sat having “sweet talk” at the table. Then staff heard a single gunshot.

Police say their inquiries lead them to believe that Sgt Phongsagorn was “just teasing” Ms Sawitree by holding her around the neck and pointing the gun at her ear.

The sergeant, they say, had removed the magazine from the weapon but did not realise there was still a round in the chamber.

In among the “teasing”, he pulled the trigger, firing the fatal shot and also injuring himself.

Investigators continue to collect evidence to see if it matches with this theory.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/young-woman-shot-accidentally-by-phuket-policeman-43686.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-27

My wife read this yesterday in the Thai website. The photo displayed of the dead lady was very graphic. So this is the Royal Thai Police's finest. Horsing about with a loaded gun, never checked the chamber. He's most likely only face internal discipline with no jail time. RIP the deceased.

• Like 1

And evidently she lay with her head in a pool of blood on the table for 2 hours before the cops came? Methinks somebody needed time to sort out a story. This is incredible, but not unbelievable. Reminds me of the drunken, off duty cop in another province who cut off a waitress' arm because she did not want to have sex with him. Does anybody know what became of that case? I am guessing nothing, as usual.

• Like 1

This is hard to understand the story as well. He was teasing her with a gun...The staff heard a single gun shot but the girl was lying on the table for two hours. The police fled the scene because he shot himself in the wrist.

If the bullet went through the ear of the girl then through her forehead, how the hell did he got shot in the wrist. ...

He may have grabbed her by the hair, shot her and because he was most likely drunk didn't realise the bullet would exit and hit him as well.

If he came up behind her and grabbed a handful of hair on the front of her head his wrist could have been over her forehead easily.

Bit like the senior government official who was cleaning his ouzi at the dinner table in a restaurant and accidently shot and killed his ex wife. That all disappeared after it was deemed an accident no charges laid.

Edited by chooka
  • Like 1

How could anyone supposedly trained to handle and use a gun NOT check the chamber IF he was teasing let alone horsing around with a gun loaded or not.

I have always thought putting guns in the hands of many police was like giving a loaded gun to a child.

RIP young lady.

Edited by oneday

How could anyone supposedly trained to handle and use a gun NOT check the chamber IF he was teasing let alone horsing around with a gun loaded or not.

I have always thought putting guns in the hands of many police was like giving a loaded gun to a child.

RIP young lady.

Whilst not defending the cop in any way, shape or form, this situation is not all that rare.

Poorly trained gun handlers are a prime reason...[these BIB are obviously poorly trained in all aspects of policing anyway, so gun handling is bound to be basic]
Many really do think that simply removing the clip from a semi-auto will leave a firearm unloaded, but unless you also slide the slide right back , which will automatically eject the chambered round, then slide back and lock for a visual inspection, the chances are that the gun is loaded and lethal.
Normally a glock is gun of choice for BIB, here they say an 11mm round , no glock 11mm made but sounds like a Glock 36 which is .45 and has the 6 round clip..[OP mentions 6 rounds]
Combined with a few drinks and some bravado this scenario can easily occur.
This incident tho' does reek of a murder then set up to appear an accident..
Time will tell, but then again..TIT.
  • Like 1

"The sergeant, they say, had removed the magazine from the weapon but did not realise there was still a round in the chamber."

Yeah right!.....I stopped believing in fairy tales when I was a little kid. bah.gif

R. I. P Ms Sawitree

It is of course possible, given my experiences with the nations finest I would use the word plausible instead, that he is just an idiot, a macho idiot with a gun.

RIP young lady.

• Like 2

You ain't in Kansas anymore Dorothy.

A veneer of civility does not mean that Thailand is anything more than a developing country where law enforcement officers are, in general, part of the problem, rather than the solution.

I don't know if its actually right or not, but I think it is entirely possible this lady was killed in cold blood and the killer will face no penalties. Sad.

• Like 1