Why do Thai shop owners have such bad attitudes?

PM888

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wife has owned clothes shops for quite a few years now. At one time had five but, as we are both getting older, have persuaded her to cut down to two.

The following are her views.......

But if I give a first offer price of 700-800 to foreigners, expecting them to come back with around 200, and finally get near to the 400 for a sale but they are living here it just reinforces their view that foreigners are charged double. Selling at a price equal to or lower than total cost is not acceptable, so sometimes a sale cannot be made (a failure really). Of course if buying more than one item there will be a further discount.

This is an example of dual pricing, that pisses foreigners off.

Now, where are the people which say that it doesn't happen?

In her defence, the quote says if, not that she does quote higher prices to foreigners. She was saying that some foreigners offer a completely unrealistic low price initially and therefore there is not much hope of both parties arriving at a deal price. Using a partial quote sort of changes the context.

On the OP, when I said they have bad attitudes, by "bad" I meant lazy, indifferent, couldn't give a crap whether you were there or not..the "no hab" attitude that has been mentioned a few times. Quite a mixed bag of reactions here, but if anyone can seriously say that they have lived in Thailand for any length of time and not experienced this, I think you are in lala land. It has nothing to do with language - I am friendly always and speak enough Thai to get by. Interesting post about speaking Thai fluently and this frustrating you even more... It also has nothing to do with negotiating and pissing them off by offering a low price, because you get the attitude before you even negotiate, and also get the attitude in department stores or supermarkets where you don't negotiate.

Quite a few posts have mentioned you get what you project, it's the image you put out there. What a load of crap. If that were the case, I would have nothing but the friendliest salespeople all day long. Maybe those posts come from the blubbering sweating falungs who go around waiing at everyone and everything and are getting the bird shit smiles from everyone and think life's all dandy.

I loved the post about the aftershave and the woman on the phone. That is the stuff I am talking about. Or the "no hab" when it is 2 metres away from them. In a society that values the money so much, what I don't get is why the training is not there. The shop owner wants to make money, surely he understands the basic tenets of customer service? Surely he understands that by being nice he will get more $$? So why doesn't he train his staff? Why doesn't everyone get put on commission like elsewhere in Asia?

Cities I refer to in China are the silk markets in Beijing and markets in Shanghai. I have lived in China for about 10 years and about 8 in Thailand. I agree that the Chinese are pretty rude in general like queing up etc, but when it comes to service in shops/markets, they are after the cash and the attitude reflects that. I think the Thais are much more civilised, case in point being the comparison of any public toilet in Thailand compared to China.

The attitude I refer to of course does not happen every time I shop. I went to a movie yesterday and got greeted by a smile and a wai from the guy selling the tickets. It made me welly happy

By the way, my comment on the stinking backpackers - point was made to indicate that there wasn't a stereotypical view of me that resulted in the attitued. And to be honest, after smelling some of the shit that comes off these falungs who seem to think deodarant causes cancer, I can't blame a Thai store owner if they wanted to kick them out. And that my friend, is not rascist. It's reality.

Beats me why you have this problem.I get nothing but smiles and great service. I bought my car in april 2012 when people where waiting months to get delivery. My Nissan deal got mine to me in 9 days.I buy any big items they deliver them free and quickly.Local businessmen see me in a coffe shop or restaurant they stop in and say hello and then pay my bill. At the market the merchants always add a little extra to my order for free. I cannot say I experience anything like what you describe. I cannot help you because I cannot see how that could happen in Thailand.

I've lived/toured in every corner of this place...though obviously blinked and missed your little utopia...

Is it possible they think you and your Chinese wife are possibly from a country slightly north of China?

Personally I have no problems with vendors, markets, stores, department stores. If you give them a friendly smile and a sa-wat-dee krup, they're (virtually) compelled to respond, and that sets you off on the right foot from the start.

I'm not so sure the OP was saying he has "problems", rather asking if somebody could rationalize what we all experience from time to time. For me it's common place to get varying degrees of service, anyone who gets the cream every time, my hat-off to you.

Beats me why you have this problem.I get nothing but smiles and great service. I bought my car in april 2012 when people where waiting months to get delivery. My Nissan deal got mine to me in 9 days.I buy any big items they deliver them free and quickly.Local businessmen see me in a coffe shop or restaurant they stop in and say hello and then pay my bill. At the market the merchants always add a little extra to my order for free. I cannot say I experience anything like what you describe. I cannot help you because I cannot see how that could happen in Thailand.

I've lived/toured in every corner of this place...though obviously blinked and missed your little utopia...

Yes indeed, Nissan seem to have the best customer service of all car sellers in Thailand, I just bought one and was impressed. They are an exception.

Homepro, as mentioned above, is a prime example: I wish I could be manager of one of these places, I would tell the staff that at the end of the month half of them would lose their job and the other half would get double wages. And do it again a month later. I guess many posters in this topic don't often go into Homepro, I go there when I don't feel like running all over town looking for stuff that I know perfectly well is in their store, and further more, I know exactly where it is. Try buying chain oil for a chain saw , they will over and over insist on giving you 2 stroke oil for the motor, not an idea, no interest at all in their products. This is down to bad management, I know of only one store in the region that sends guys on courses to the manufacturers of the stuff they sell, Chinese guy owns it. Anyway, Thaiwatsadu staff now knows well enough to leave me alone since I did a wobbly when a guy insisted that they didn't have what I was looking for even when I had it in my hand.

Small shops: they tend to go to the same wholesale stores that I go to, so I know what they paid when I go into their store. Take it or leave it, I'm not driving 20 Km to save ฿100 on a pack of beer.

Shop assistants: my DIL got a job in a shop in which, the first and last time I went in there, the owner was asleep. The DIL let customers out of the shop without harassing them to buy anything and said Chinese lady threw a shoe at her. End of the month: ฿3000 instead of 6000. What do you expect when they are treated like this?

Some Chinese shops I go to because of the customer service (I meant to ordere 40 meters of hosepipe and he cut 14... no problem, he took it back) and some of them I avoid because of the unsmiling, unfriendly attitude I get (increasing the price for a fixed item every time I went).

• Like 2

Why do Thai shopowners have such bad attitudes?

Because most of them are Chinese!!coffee1.gif

Strangely (or not) enough, Soi41 may be onto something more serious than he (or she) may have thought initially with such a comment. Many Mom-Pop operated shops are 'managed', whatsoever it means, by older folks, many of them from Chinese ancestry; when you see the little red ancestor's mini-shrines in a corner of the store, you know for sure. And sadly, Chinese global reputation for kindness, politeness, or lack of it - worldwide, not just in China or Thailand - is not matched by their Thai counterparts... In the meantime, Thai or Chinese, a lousy shopowner remains a shopowner to avoid, so vote with you feet...

I think biggest problem is the lack of english here and the lack of Thai from the others. They just feel uncomfortable talking in English it goes slower and such. To be honest there are bad shops anywhere but with a few words of Thai they often help me. It can be quite fun explaining something in Thai when you don't know the exact words. Of course this is outside the tourist area's and not in a busy shop taking up all their time.

I bet most people here can't say 2 words of Thai (not that mine is perfect by any means) but just a bit helps.

Nice theory BUT when you become proficient in the language (written and alphabet) and pronounce the vowels and words correctly you will realize there is a HUGE issue with competence, work ethic, motivation, connecting dots, etc etc. The majority populous does not notice anything wrong because they know no other way and have been conditioned to go with the flow. Mind you it is not their fault, the culprits lie in the (lack of) education system that fails to train the mind "how to think" When you factor in societal values like money worship and cheating the situation just gets compounded.

In my experience just a small % of staff are knowledgeable about what they sell day to day. Believe me, when you remove the language barrier you get even more frustrated.

I live in a thai neighborhood (very few non thais) and there are specific stores that routinely try to cheat customers, regardless of ethnicity, although I do agree some of them will try to scam farangs more. Big C is not always the place for fair prices either. I recently priced an antibiotic at big c for 400 that sells at the mom and pop pharmacy for 200.

Be happy you believe it is the lack of language ability that produces these issues.

Well i don't believe you,i find the locals very helpful when they know what you are on about,in fact they go out of their way.Must be the area you live in.

“just don't get it. On so many occasions, when shopping at a Thai store or market, the attitude of the Thais borders on contempt.”

I have good knowledge of what the prices are in Thailand and if the price seems right in the shops or on market stalls, I see no need to haggle and try to get the prices decreased any further. Also I speak enough Thai to avoid confusion and usually receive a good friendly service.

If any of the vendors or shops try it on with me or have an attitude problem, which is extremely rare when I go out shopping, than I just smile, turn my back and walk out never to return, the same as I would do in any country. It`s that simple.

For some of you living or staying in Thailand for the long term, it must be a rather miserable and stressful experience, and perhaps all the wringers would be better off taking a slow boat to China along with the OP, where according to the OP, the Chinese are much tolerant of people like you.

In my experience,you can perfect your order,and know the same thing has been said, i.e Beer Leo quat yai cap,nine times out of ten,you will get what you ordered,and then suddenly they don't understand you.After saying the same thing twice, I walk away. Amazing how quickly they recognise their own language,and run after me!

Because many thai shop owners dont care if you buy something or dont.It's something that will never change as the country slips downhill

Trolleys.

I noticed this in Blighty shortly before the civil war in London.

When people stop putting their shopping trolleys back neatly you know the country's finished.

I think they are pretty friendly overall.

What I don't like are the shops that come to you,when I'm eating with my wife and engaged in a private conversation I don't need Indians pleading,not asking but yes pleading for me to buy their peanuts that they have put their hands in,and also I don't want anyway.

I don't like having to tell them five times either and they are sill standing there.

Thai shopkeepers are a joy mostly.

Can someone tell me the quickest way to get rid of these peanut merchants,they just stand there,hands in the wai position,please sir,please.

I'm quick tempered and I'm going to do my nut shortly,I don't want that and I hate my private conversations being interrupted,it's a private moment.

Ask me once,fine,but five times.

• Like 1

I think they are pretty friendly overall. What I don't like are the shops that come to you,when I'm eating with my wife and engaged in a private conversation I don't need Indians pleading,not asking but yes pleading for me to buy their peanuts that they have put their hands in,and also I don't want anyway. I don't like having to tell them five times either and they are sill standing there. Thai shopkeepers are a joy mostly. Can someone tell me the quickest way to get rid of these peanut merchants,they just stand there,hands in the wai position,please sir,please. I'm quick tempered and I'm going to do my nut shortly,I don't want that and I hate my private conversations being interrupted,it's a private moment. Ask me once,fine,but five times.

Given the growth of little Thai bars near my condo we are seeing far more of these sellers now. What normally results in good success for me is initially zero eye-contact and just show the hand (have to say I don't actually like doing that as I would blow my gasket if someone did it to me, but hey, when you've tried everything else...). If however the bugger/beggar doesn't quite get it, I fix my eyes on theirs and simply say [sternly] "Mai ao!". Never had them waiting for a third response.

Hope that helps

• Like 2

You notice some people seem to have difficulty with most every shopkeeper, while many people rarely have an issue with any shopkeeper.

I wonder why that is?

thats life some people are suckers others like to argue,generally I just walk away from vendors on the streets

Thailand is no longer the land of smiles...if it ever was. Service in all sectors is generally ok, but never good, and if a Thai is having a bad day they are more than willing to share it with you. I have lost count of the number of times that I have been steamrolled by a shop assistant that is in the process of making a sale and charges in front of you while dealing with her customer. Or try to tear a sales person away from their iphone or shop mirror to handle a purchase?? Imagine of you owned a shop and saw your staff carrying on like this???

• Like 1

“just don't get it. On so many occasions, when shopping at a Thai store or market, the attitude of the Thais borders on contempt.”

I have good knowledge of what the prices are in Thailand and if the price seems right in the shops or on market stalls, I see no need to haggle and try to get the prices decreased any further. Also I speak enough Thai to avoid confusion and usually receive a good friendly service.

If any of the vendors or shops try it on with me or have an attitude problem, which is extremely rare when I go out shopping, than I just smile, turn my back and walk out never to return, the same as I would do in any country. It`s that simple.

For some of you living or staying in Thailand for the long term, it must be a rather miserable and stressful experience, and perhaps all the wringers would be better off taking a slow boat to China along with the OP, where according to the OP, the Chinese are much tolerant of people like you.

I agrree.

Totally clueless - one of the unfortunate side effects of cheap air fares, These people should be confined to their country of origin.

Beats me why you have this problem.I get nothing but smiles and great service. I bought my car in april 2012 when people where waiting months to get delivery. My Nissan deal got mine to me in 9 days.I buy any big items they deliver them free and quickly.Local businessmen see me in a coffe shop or restaurant they stop in and say hello and then pay my bill. At the market the merchants always add a little extra to my order for free. I cannot say I experience anything like what you describe. I cannot help you because cannot see how that could happen in Thailand.

Biggest load of bs ive heard in awhile

Ive experienced both good and bad but this post is certainly troll based or the poster is the village joke...probably both

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Haha, I agree. I was thinking the exact same thing, but was not going to say anything. Seems like somebody needs a few hundred pats on the back.

Yes - like you never get sh* it service in Australia/Us/Uk/farangland etc. These clowns still walk around with the 'me bwana syndrome'.

I think they are pretty friendly overall. What I don't like are the shops that come to you,when I'm eating with my wife and engaged in a private conversation I don't need Indians pleading,not asking but yes pleading for me to buy their peanuts that they have put their hands in,and also I don't want anyway. I don't like having to tell them five times either and they are sill standing there. Thai shopkeepers are a joy mostly. Can someone tell me the quickest way to get rid of these peanut merchants,they just stand there,hands in the wai position,please sir,please. I'm quick tempered and I'm going to do my nut shortly,I don't want that and I hate my private conversations being interrupted,it's a private moment. Ask me once,fine,but five times.

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems it should be relatively easy to avoid eating establishments in Thailand that allow Indians to peddle peanuts table to table.

Strange..I believe that we are not getting the whole picture here. All the time that I have been in Thailand, there has been very little trouble in shopping around...

Yes - exactly.

no problem here - every so often a bit of attitude - the % the same as any farang consumer paradise.

"Surely shop owners understand the concepts of basic customer service?" Short answer: no. Home improvement places are the worst in my experience. Gather in a clot and just gossip. "Who do I have to <deleted> to get some service here?" (no takers, btw). Or go to Tesco, ask if they have bike lights. "No hab". I walk around, find them, bring back and present: "Hab". They get puzzled angry face. The lack of initiative to know what they have and where..... oy vey! Would rather stand there and go into "mental erase" state when no customer around.

You think KMart/Big W/Target/Masters/Bunnings etc. are any different?

I know it's fashionable to bag Thai people here onThai Visa - but get a grip on reality - poorly paid employees of all multi-national 'home improvement' stores give sh*t service wherever you are in the world.

The shop i hate (yes really hate) the most is 1- Homepro and 2- Homeworks. They are waiting at the entrance to annoy you, then follow you like a lapdog, don't know anything about their own products because they have never used/posessed them. They only try to sell you the brand that they are selling, approach you in a group or are playfighting with eachother. They don't speak english, can't count. I always get a bad mood after i have been there. When i go there with my wife they talk to her like crazy while i am the customer and not her. My wife refuses to go there again, also Powerbuy has annoying sales by the way but better then homepro.

It must be irritating that your Thai shop assistant does not speak english for your convenience.

Can't count? - must be counting in Thai - but of course in your ignorance you wouldn't understand.

You answered your own question when stated...it's all about the money in Thailand. That's why. The myth that thais are so friendly and all about smiling was busted a long time ago, everyone knows that it's not true.

It's all about money everywhere. Show me a country where it is not about the money.

Tell me you go to work for love - it's not about the money blah blah blah.

I dress very,very casually but always get treated with respect and a laugh,bargaining no probs,i rekon the trick is to speak their language.

Most of the people that have problems have an arrogant attitude - easily detected by normal people. You can see them coming a mile away.

I run into these people all the time at my work & they get treated accordingly.

These people are present in Thailand & get treated accordingly - but of course they are totally clueless to their lack of social skills & come & incessantly whine on Thai Visa.

On the OP, when I said they have bad attitudes, by "bad" I meant lazy, indifferent, couldn't give a crap whether you were there or not..the "no hab" attitude that has been mentioned a few times. Quite a mixed bag of reactions here, but if anyone can seriously say that they have lived in Thailand for any length of time and not experienced this, I think you are in lala land. It has nothing to do with language - I am friendly always and speak enough Thai to get by. Interesting post about speaking Thai fluently and this frustrating you even more... It also has nothing to do with negotiating and pissing them off by offering a low price, because you get the attitude before you even negotiate, and also get the attitude in department stores or supermarkets where you don't negotiate.

Quite a few posts have mentioned you get what you project, it's the image you put out there. What a load of crap. If that were the case, I would have nothing but the friendliest salespeople all day long. Maybe those posts come from the blubbering sweating falungs who go around waiing at everyone and everything and are getting the bird shit smiles from everyone and think life's all dandy.

I loved the post about the aftershave and the woman on the phone. That is the stuff I am talking about. Or the "no hab" when it is 2 metres away from them. In a society that values the money so much, what I don't get is why the training is not there. The shop owner wants to make money, surely he understands the basic tenets of customer service? Surely he understands that by being nice he will get more $$? So why doesn't he train his staff? Why doesn't everyone get put on commission like elsewhere in Asia?

Cities I refer to in China are the silk markets in Beijing and markets in Shanghai. I have lived in China for about 10 years and about 8 in Thailand. I agree that the Chinese are pretty rude in general like queing up etc, but when it comes to service in shops/markets, they are after the cash and the attitude reflects that. I think the Thais are much more civilised, case in point being the comparison of any public toilet in Thailand compared to China.

The attitude I refer to of course does not happen every time I shop. I went to a movie yesterday and got greeted by a smile and a wai from the guy selling the tickets. It made me welly happy

By the way, my comment on the stinking backpackers - point was made to indicate that there wasn't a stereotypical view of me that resulted in the attitued. And to be honest, after smelling some of the shit that comes off these falungs who seem to think deodarant causes cancer, I can't blame a Thai store owner if they wanted to kick them out. And that my friend, is not rascist. It's reality.

"...but if anyone can seriously say that they have lived in Thailand for any length of time and not experienced this.." - yes, but I have also lived in Australia and experienced this. It is not unique to Thailand.

"...Or the "no hab" when it is 2 metres away from them...." - experienced this very day in Australia. Underpaid sales staff not giving a toss. What? - you think this doesn't happen everywhere in the world?

".. In a society that values the money so much...," - what? Americans don't value money? Australians? Germans? French?

What is wrong with you people - you arrive in Thailand & expect it to be some sort of paradise.

• Like 1

Ask youself ( as my wife continually reminds me) - where do they wash their hands after urinating?