Why do Thai shop owners have such bad attitudes?

PM888

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it depends on where you do your shopping. Outside of tourist areas I generally find staff helpful and polite. Just because there might not be prices displayed doesn't mean you can bargain a lot so if you offer a ridiculous price not everyone wants to play. In a tourist area I can imagine some staff are sick of pushy foreigners offering insulting prices.

Quite a few times at computer malls in Bangkok I've had staff rush off to another shop to bring back something they were out of stock of. I know part of the reason is because they get trade discount from the other shop so they do make something on the sale. In some shops, if you are talking to a sales assistant rather than the owner maybe they can't be bothered. Training can be part of it. In many large stores it still surprises me when staff follow you everywhere like a criminal. A Thai might tell you it is their idea of good service but you would think someone would know by now how most foreigners don't see it that way. Overall though, in Thailand I'm more often surprised by good service rather than disappointed by bad service. YMMV

• Like 2

Beats me why you have this problem.I get nothing but smiles and great service. I bought my car in april 2012 when people where waiting months to get delivery. My Nissan deal got mine to me in 9 days.I buy any big items they deliver them free and quickly.Local businessmen see me in a coffe shop or restaurant they stop in and say hello and then pay my bill. At the market the merchants always add a little extra to my order for free. I cannot say I experience anything like what you describe. I cannot help you because cannot see how that could happen in Thailand.

Biggest load of bs ive heard in awhile

Ive experienced both good and bad but this post is certainly troll based or the poster is the village joke...probably both

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think it was said with tongue-in-cheek Lomsak :)

Beats me why you have this problem.I get nothing but smiles and great service. I bought my car in april 2012 when people where waiting months to get delivery. My Nissan deal got mine to me in 9 days.I buy any big items they deliver them free and quickly.Local businessmen see me in a coffe shop or restaurant they stop in and say hello and then pay my bill. At the market the merchants always add a little extra to my order for free. I cannot say I experience anything like what you describe. I cannot help you because cannot see how that could happen in Thailand.

Biggest load of bs ive heard in awhile

Ive experienced both good and bad but this post is certainly troll based or the poster is the village joke...probably both

I think it was said with tongue-in-cheek Lomsak :)

:) hard to tell on tv sometimes

Strange I don't find the shop owners/helpers in Thailand as what the OP said....As for the shop assistant/owner in China, this is my experience ..

I was at a flea market I think they called it the Russian market in Beijing, there was this store selling children imitation Barbie jeans...asked how munch is a pair the price quoted was about USD 70, WOW I said this costs more than an original... So I walked off, the woman kept shouting and gesticulating, I understood she wanted me to quote her a price....I said how can I if the price you quoted was so outrageous...

So much so for what the OP has said about China shop owners...bah.gif

Edited by chuang
  • Like 1

I've seen this type of attitude plenty from shopowners/salespeople. When people say "its all about the money", they are wrong, its not. Some people are just too lazy, too proud, whatever - and they let business walk away, and it doesn't bother them. Those people are really not interested in the money, they're just interested in themselves - their own enjoyment in that moment. I tend to see this attitude less in other countries, to me it seems to be more prevelent here. It really is just a case of, this is Thailand.

Is it possible they think you and your Chinese wife are possibly from a country slightly north of China?

Personally I have no problems with vendors, markets, stores, department stores. If you give them a friendly smile and a sa-wat-dee krup, they're (virtually) compelled to respond, and that sets you off on the right foot from the start.

• Like 1

i will say that must of the shop owner i did came accross were displaying a "normal" behavior,

but i must recognize that once a while i will meet one with personal disorder, maybe bipolar.

By example, few years ago at the Dsquared shop, i wanted to buy a shirt. I will never forget the hateful look in the shop owner's eyes.

I did nothing wrong, just grab a shirt, and few minutes later on my way to pay for it. But the way she was looking at me was really disturbing!

I did meet few demented people like this but they are a minority.

Strange I don't find the shop owners/helpers in Thailand as what the OP said....As for the shop assistant/owner in China, this is my experience ..

I was at a flea market I think they called it the Russian market in Beijing, there was this store selling children imitation Barbie jeans...asked how munch is a pair the price quoted was about USD 70, WOW I said this costs more than an original... So I walked off, the woman kept shouting and gesticulating, I understood she wanted me to quote her a price....I said how can I if the price you quoted was so outrageous...

So much so for what the OP has said about China shop owners...bah.gif

Rule of thumb for a foreigner in Yabalu Market is to counter at 10% of the first price tossed out. Then the fun starts. Can be a little offputting if you come from a Western "price is clearly marked" background.

Etiquette dictates that you don't negotiate on something you don't have a genuine intention to buy, because that's a waste of their time (and they pay ridiculous rents so they don't want to waste their time)

In your case, she was hoping you'd toss out an acceptable price on the first offer- lots of foreigners do, still thinking they got a great deal. It's bad etiquette to walk out without at least offering a price (no matter how low you go), or saying :"thank you" for the information. But you don't have to worry about offending anyone. They are in it for the money and have developed extremely thick skin from getting 50 no's for every sale.

I was astounded at how far most Chinese shop owners would go to make a deal happen. Overall, my general experiences in Thailand have been favorable, but once in a while I wander into a store that doesn't want me in there- same as in China. They usually make it pretty clear from the first few seconds, and I find my way to the door as quickly as I can.

Edited by impulse

I have to say that it has happened to me a few times in the manner the OP suggests. But on balance, it's not worth worrying about when compared with the friendly service found in most places. I certainly don't waste any emotional energy thinking about it. I wonder if it might be to do with the OP's attitude. Sales people are only human, and they will pick up the vibe from an unpleasant customer. Relax OP.

I have never encountered any real problems, they are usually friendly enough except when I get upset that they are stitching me up with double pricing.

I often used to wonder why it was hard at times to get any real discount or negitiate sometimes and it was pointed out to me that the profit margins some places ( small stores) work on are so low that they cannot discount or they actually lose money.

So, purely as a theory, for smaller shops, if the price is low, not making huge profit, ferang comes in, they cant speak english, you cant speak thai, they get frustrated, cant really help you because of communication and therefore loss of face, leads to them getting rid of you as quickly as possible and on to the next. Its not personal, just makes sense to them.

i hate it when you enter a shop and they follow you about like a lap dog , you smile and say " just looking " intent on buying something, they get aggresive , they are just greedy people. i am sick of people saying how nice the thais are when really all they want is your money and they probably hate us, but hey thats a different topic .

• Like 2

i see this bad attitude everyday. i even see Thais seriously insulting ferangs - unbeknown to the non Thai speaking customers. my Thai wife, having spent 12 years in the UK, gets quite angry with this attitude as she understands how ignorant and just plain wrong it is.

to me an every other non Thai appoligist this is simply the Thai way. so OP you are quite correct in your observation. why they do it - <deleted> knows

• Like 1

Many are very unprofessional,some are down right rude.

On the other side of the coin many are polite,I do feel it slipping though,getting worse.

As for china,that was the rudest place I have been without a doubt,I have been to over twenty countries and the Chinese were very rude.

Good in Thailand when it's good,but real bad when it's bad.

Maybe it depends on where you do your shopping. Outside of tourist areas I generally find staff helpful and polite. Just because there might not be prices displayed doesn't mean you can bargain a lot so if you offer a ridiculous price not everyone wants to play. In a tourist area I can imagine some staff are sick of pushy foreigners offering insulting prices. Quite a few times at computer malls in Bangkok I've had staff rush off to another shop to bring back something they were out of stock of. I know part of the reason is because they get trade discount from the other shop so they do make something on the sale. In some shops, if you are talking to a sales assistant rather than the owner maybe they can't be bothered. Training can be part of it. In many large stores it still surprises me when staff follow you everywhere like a criminal. A Thai might tell you it is their idea of good service but you would think someone would know by now how most foreigners don't see it that way. Overall though, in Thailand I'm more often surprised by good service rather than disappointed by bad service. YMMV

you never been shopping in kanchanaburi before then, the staff her are rude , discourteous and unhelpful