"Vendors" Entering Chiang Mai Restaurants and Trying to Sell to Customers Only

mesquite

Today I was in a restaurant in the Night Bazaar and in walks two Thais selling candles or some such thing. I believe the proceeds of the sale went to some type of alleged emergency rescue organization. I think the whole thing is a scam.

They approached the other customers, but not the staff, and gave their pitch. When one got to me, I looked at one of the staff and asked why they allowed these people inside. The "sales" lady quickly exited the restaurant and her partner remained to finish his pitch to another customer, then left.

I have seen this type of thing in years past in other farang restaurants. The owner/manager/staff make no attempt to keep these con artists out.

When I asked a waitress later about it, she said they never come in, but today they did, which I interpreted to mean she was blowing smoke up my *ss, and they come in every day during high season.

Why do CM restaurants allow these people inside? Are they in on the con or just too lazy to keep them out?

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, i used to be a regular customer of a little thai styled's buffet a few hours away from BKK.

There was also some live music being played on the stage, but every time the live music would stop, then, an assumingly blinded man accompanied by his mate, would kick in between the tables to ask for money, he had this loud portable speaker hanging out on his neck and the music was so unbearably loud that it would distorts the sound.....so,so annoying and uncaring toward paying customers.

After a few times i gave up, not one of their customers any more, sabai sabai.

OP, I get your point given that you think it's a scam.. But, if a person living here can't tolerate the typical person that comes in and tries to sell things in a restaurant, I'd have to say Thailand isn't for you. This matter is very low on the level of annoyances that go along with being here.

Ah ah ahh! So funny....My dear, if you haven't find out yet, i have to inform you that there are plenty of other places that can ensure their patrons a little more respect that those ridiculously managed places.....

Think, you don't even have to leave Thailand if you find that getting some respect it's such an inconvenience for you, just keep going to your kind of places.....to each his own!

• Like 1

I'd never buy or give anything to these folks. Eventually 5 or 10B to the blind guy who makes annoying noise to go away.

The point is, that after another song or 2 if you are lucky, they will come back again and again!

Do not reward bad deeds, or we will be submerged by them....

Yeah, it's not specific to Chiang Mai nor Thailand.

Happens everywhere.

I was actually having some noodles the other day in Bangkok. Had a beggar come and hassle me and the wife for some spare change to get the bus home.

The owner of the restaurant came out and told the beggar to take a hike. The beggar had a bit to say but the owner was having none of it. Seen it all the day before etc.

Was quite impressed by the actions of the owner and let her know. She explained that we came here to enjoy her food not to be harassed.

It's simple to follow the locals. Occasionally one gives some small money to a mother with a baby, or to that blind loud guy. Haven't seen anyone to buy some garbage from the vendors ever. If I'd run a restaurant I'd kick these guys out.

Reminds me of a restaurant I used to go into in Mexico for breakfast. Every morning this little kid would come in selling little packages of Bubble Gum. He would go all the way around the restaurant and then the staff would shoo him out.
reminds me of a little restaurant that I went to in France. Gypsies would come in selling roses. They too went all around the restaurant

I was waiting outside a 7/11 for a friend to arrive and there was a beggar with deformed legs who was receiving some loose change. I saw him agan 15 minutes later buying lottery tickets

As to vendors, I agree, mai aow khrap works every time. Don't like it, go eat at Dukes you'll be very happy and secure there.

Waitress' view = not my problem, I am definitely not paid to argue with aggressive vendors

Owners' view = These vendors would not be working in the Night Bazaar without having to pay off the top police If I kick them out, will it have negative repercussions for me.

Customers' view = These people are a nuisance.

My view = This is now an unavoidable hazard of tourist spots in Thailand. Eat elsewhere, better food, better service, better value for money, no aggressive vendor hassle.

I was waiting outside a 7/11 for a friend to arrive and there was a beggar with deformed legs who was receiving some loose change. I saw him agan 15 minutes later buying lottery tickets

As to vendors, I agree, mai aow khrap works every time. Don't like it, go eat at Dukes you'll be very happy and secure there.

Maybe that's how he bought his two Maseratis and pays for his chauffeur to take him there and lay him in the gutter, in the monsoon season?

Geez, the stories.

In the U.S. often you hear people speak of the down and outers as though they woke up in comfortable homes, smeared a little dirt on, dressed themselves in worn out clothes,

and drove into the city in their Mercedes in order to panhandle and sell trinkets because it's a lucrative way to make a living.

Sounds like some of those folks have found Thai Visa.

For four years I lived in the student ghetto of a university town. Five different schools in the same small New England city. My street had most of the Fraternity and Sorority houses, rooming houses for students and multiple dwelling private houses, mostly student-filled. On Saturday mornings, Sunday mornings, and Holiday morns, a raggedy, dirty, little old man would push his shopping cart 'train' from house to house collecting empty beer cans and bottles to turn in to the recycling center. 2 cents apiece in those days. It was tradition in this area to give your emptys ONLY to this old man, no one else. He'd have 4-8 shopping trollys piled high with empty cans and bottles on his way back to the R.C...

... and every year he'd buy himself a brand new car.

Begging can be a lucrative business.

In the U.S. often you hear people speak of the down and outers as though they woke up in comfortable homes, smeared a little dirt on, dressed themselves in worn out clothes,

and drove into the city in their Mercedes in order to panhandle and sell trinkets because it's a lucrative way to make a living.

For four years I lived in the student ghetto of a university town. Five different schools in the same small New England city. My street had most of the Fraternity and Sorority houses, rooming houses for students and multiple dwelling private houses, mostly student-filled. On Saturday mornings, Sunday mornings, and Holiday morns, a raggedy, dirty, little old man would push his shopping cart 'train' from house to house collecting empty beer cans and bottles to turn in to the recycling center. 2 cents apiece in those days. It was tradition in this area to give your emptys ONLY to this old man, no one else. He'd have 4-8 shopping trollys piled high with empty cans and bottles on his way back to the R.C...

Was it also a Maserati? biggrin.png

Was it also a Maserati? biggrin.png

Nope. Always a Ford, with no visible options package, and always a muted color. A 'grandpa' car.