got work lined up: time to get non-im B visa in Laos? Better to go elsewhere?

i found this and it says you can have a B or O visa

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/working-thailand-3.php

That webpage has several errors on it.

It states you must have a non immigrant visa to apply for a work permit which is incorrect. You can apply with a visa exempt entry or a tourist visa. It requires one to have a work permit issued though.

They will normally only issue a work permit with a non-o visa if you have a Thai wife or child. Or one for volunteer work.

Some offices will not accept an application if you have a ED visa or extension for study. And a non-o or extension based upon retirement.

the frustration I am getting from this is that the official websites are down - its like - OMG its New Years so turn everything off for the week!!!

And so I have been looking at other sites - apparently theyre all wrong.

The other issue I am having difficulty with is that after 14 years here in Thailand and 8 years on a retirement visa I now have to leave the country to get a B visa - then apply for my WP. Sorry to gripe guys but this defies logic.

So now i add the expense of travel costs, accomodation, entry and exit fees, etc etc. - so is this the reason for the run around - is it just about fees?

I suspect they have chosen the holidays to do maintenance and/or upgrades of their hardware/software.

You don't need a B visa to apply for the work permit. You only need a B visa to have it issued. If you are from one of the G7 countries you could make a border run and get a 30 day entry to apply for the work permit. Then go out for the B visa after you have the letter of approval for the application.

Ok, so in the end I had to spend a few extra days and get a Non IM IB Visa. IB Visa is issued for BOI recommended companies. You DO NOT need to have the work permit issued first, in fact for BOI companies they cannot issue the work permit first, there is a different procedure.

What you do need is a letter requested by your company from BOI listing your name, passport number and position at the company. BOI takes 2 days to issue this. Initially I was missing this, we had the documentation proving the company was BOI recommended but not the letter from BOI with my name on it. As well need all the usual company records, etc etc.

Work permit is issued once you are back in Thailand. Had to spend a few extra days but got to go to Vang Wieng for the weekend and do some mountain biking so not all bad!

• 2 weeks later...

Thai888 in Jomtien prepared all my paperwork and placed it in a nice folder that I handed to the Thai office in Laos.

The next afternoon I picked up my passport with a non B visa and a 90 day stay in Thailand.

The paperwork then went to the Thai Labour Dept and the work permit arrives today. It was flawless as all the paper work was in order.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app