Hotel asking for photcopy of front and back of credit card, risky?

thonglorjimmy

I'm intending to make a booking with a large reputable hotel in Bangkok, and the rate requires full payment in advance.

In order to process the payment the hotel have sent what appears to be their standard credit card authorisation card, asking for, as well as the cards number, expiry, security code my address and phone number, a photocopy of the front and back of the actual card.

I have made literally hundreds of hotel bookings online or over the phone with hotels or agents, but have never ever been asked for a photocopy of the card, is this a new thing, seems a bit risky to me?

Anyone else come across it?

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I note you say that you have used agents before so I suspect you are already well versed with the likes of Agoda and Booking,com.

I certainly wouldn't be supplying copies of my credit card to this hotel, however respectful they seem to be, I might be inclined to ask my credit card company if they had a view.

• Like 1

I'd be very nervous about this. Most of the bigger hotels have a website where you can book online. If not, I book via booking.com or agoda.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say also!

Try and avoid Agoda. A hotel I regularly use in Nakhon Sawan charges 450 Baht per night. If you book through Agoda, it is 650 Baht per night.

I'd be very nervous about this. Most of the bigger hotels have a website where you can book online. If not, I book via booking.com or agoda.

Try and avoid Agoda. A hotel I regularly use in Nakhon Sawan charges 450 Baht per night. If you book through Agoda, it is 650 Baht per night.

Most of the time Agoda and the likes will be same price or even cheaper as a direct booking. So good for you you have found a situation where that is not the case, but this is certainly not the norm.

I always find that Agoda or Booking.com charge exactly the same as booking directly, so for me, can't see any great advantage, and prefer to deal directly with the people i'll be staying with.

Most of the time Agoda and the likes will be same price or even cheaper as a direct booking. So good for you you have found a situation where that is not the case, but this is certainly not the norm.

I admit to having a grudge against Agoda, it goes back eight years ago to when I first came to Thailand. I would try and book a hotel room through Agoda, then when the price came up, I would give my credit card details and then find it was more expensive because the tax was not originally mentioned, and I would not go ahead with the booking. I just hate this practice, why can't Agoda just be up front with the price of a hotel room? I think we all know the answer to that. Anyway. a Happy New Year to you and your family.

• Like 2

use Agoda instead.....no photocopy of the card.......

---------------------------

I use Agoda , and never have been asked for a photocopy of my ATM/debit card.

However, Agoda often says when you are booking the room that the Hotel reserves the right to physically see the card you used to book the room when you check in at the hotel.

It's the same thing as the airline wanting to see the card you used to book your flight at the check-in counter,

Agoda preapproves your card before they email you a hotel voucher .... which you show to the hotel on check-in.

P.S. I am a member of Agoda.

I have seen on numerous occasions where Agoda offers the same room at a discount from 20% to 50% by booking through them.

What Agoda calls "members special" deals, usually offered at non peak times of the year, can run 60% to 65% discount.

One hotel in Bangkok, on Soi Nana (I won't name it) will rent a room for 1400 Baht a night for walk-ins or if you book with their website, but Agoda will give you the same room anytime for 700 Baht a night.

That's why I am an Agoda member.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I was at a major hotel in Bangkok a few years ago. There for 4 days, wanted to stay 2 more. Went to the desk and was quoted a rate about 50% more than what I paid. Basically, the rack rate. I asked why can't I get the rate I already had. Clerk said NO problem! Just use that terminal over there and book via Agoda. What a pain. Had to login, book the room, go to their office center, print out the reservation, walk back to the clerk and book my room. This has actually happened to me several times. Crazy.

I also prefer to book directly with the hotel. But sometimes, it's just not financially worth it.

That does sound very annoying!

Walk in rates are often double internet rates, this is true. What isn't true, in my experience anyway, is that Agoda or booking.com is any cheaper than booking through the hotels' own website. Wonder why these hotels you stayed in didn't ask you to book via their own websites.

I don't like the way Agoda flash up all these 30% discount this, 40% discount that banners, which gives the impression that by booking with Agoda, you are getting some sort of special "Agoda" deal, when in fact all you are getting is the hotel's standard internet booking rate.

• Like 1

Agreed, crazy you can't book on their website for the same price. At another major hotel chain, I walked up and got the rack rate. Standing right there next to the check in counter was a terminal. I was told to use it to book a room. Did it, gave the clerk next to me a booking number and then I got the room. Weird. I was quite upset.

I know that you have to factor in the extras with Agoda, not so with Booking.com, but if the Agoda price is the same as the hotel site then I will use Agoda to get their points, assuming it's not a hotel chain I'm not a member of their own loyalty scheme. I've had a few free nights with Agoda.

To me a big advantage to using Booking.com versus booking on the hotel's own website is the ability to change and/or cancel the reservation painlessly within 3 days of the date booked unless the hotel is on a pay-when-booked basis. I have encountered large hotels where it is easy to make an online reservation but requires an email or phone call to change or cancel the reservation and is a bit like pulling teeth.

I always find that Agoda or Booking.com charge exactly the same as booking directly, so for me, can't see any great advantage, and prefer to deal directly with the people i'll be staying with.

Not allways so-on many occasions I have been told by the Hotel when trying to extend my stay "special internet promotion" must book online.sad.png

Regarding the photocopy of CC. Would never do that, you can never be sure who at the other end will get their hands on it. Had one company that I ordered something from and they asked for the same. I e-mailed them 3 times if it was absolutely necessary as I had been a customer for several years. Never got an answer but when I sent another e-mail to cancel the order and credit my card, just took a few minutes to answer my e-mail and cancel the order. facepalm.gif

I'm no expert but I believe the hotels are contractually required to charge certain amounts for the rooms so booking companies can offer a negotiated percent discount.

This is why the terminal is there. They are contractually obliged to charge more and I know for sure they are going to send people out to test this system all the time.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

How strange? It went from wondering whether being asked by a hotel representative to produce a photocopy of both sides of the OP's credit card to how bad is Agoda ....

Well, I won't comment on the later

As a matter of fact I have found myself in the same situation but not in Thailand ( and the price (or the only way ) to book a ticket or a night was better than any (other) agencies

Even though most hotels do have a secure system when it comes to charge the cards, it is (was) not the case in countries like Macau, Malaysia and Philippines ( if I am not mistaken)

I did refuse out flat to send details by mail when I received their request.

They suggested to do it via landline phones or by fax

I did eventually call the service of reservation to give them my credit card number and faxed the numbers at the back, in one case

Emailed a copy of the front and called to inform them about the other numbers in other cases

You can also send a partly cached copy of both sides and call to tell the complement

Obviously I was quite wary ( and worried ) at the situation but it all turned out well.

Of course I wouldn't do / have done that it this way if the hotel or else wasn't / hadn't been a high end one

I hope this answers your post

Edited by alyx

Nothing unusual with this request from a hotel.

It's standard procedure when paying in advance - direct with the hotel - or when as a company you are paying for staff or clients to stay at a hotel.

Yes, you can argue what's the point and that there's potential for your card details to be compromised - for whatever reason. But given that you're already concerned with this potentially happening, it would also make sense that you would be checking your card account online - maybe not religiously - regularly enough to notice any discrepancies.

I do this procedure regularly enough and have many years in the hospitality industry in a previous life to not be concerned enough to lose any sleep over it.

My card details haven't been compromised - touch wood - to date and I have appropriate mechanisms in place - credit card insurance, email/SMS notifications etc - to be able to rectify any such occurrences should that situation arise.

But if you're not comfortable with it, you're not comfortable with it. There's plenty of ways around it by booking with an OTA.

I'm no expert but I believe the hotels are contractually required to charge certain amounts for the rooms so booking companies can offer a negotiated percent discount.

This is why the terminal is there. They are contractually obliged to charge more and I know for sure they are going to send people out to test this system all the time.

It's all about the commission with the likes of OTA's...

Some will get 10% of the total some will get 20% and in return the hotel basically gets favourable 'shelf position' on their websites.

Rates are 100% controlled by the hotel and can be changed in a heartbeat.

The sending the guest to a PC in the lobby to book a room on the website where they saw the rate is an old school way of thinking and from someone who doesn't really understand how commissions work.

Why doesn't OP even name the hotel? How would anyone know? Maybe he's scared to get sued.

agoda doesn't have the best prices for all hotels all the time obviously. This is true for every site like that and it's also possible to have better prices walk in but your advice isn't good because it's not possible for the OP and anyone else to actually physically walk into every single hotel to determine if they actually got the best price. Try to use TA where they have a list of all prices from different sites and if the hotel is decent it should have a website or a facebook page in this day and age that is standard practice to have some information on a hotel somewhere online and if it isn't on a hotel booking site or has its own website or at least a fb page then it's truly run down.

Agoda also allows paypal and it's really helpful as paypal serves as additional protection for the buyer and your cc info isn't revealed the any merchants at all.

Edited by ultimate weapon

I don't see what the issue is here, if you are concerned that the hotel may be up to something untoward with your credit card details why use a credit card for anything? The hotel is going to get your card details at some stage anyway if you stay with them, isn't it?

IMO There is no difference in giving all the numbers on a card and giving a photo copy. If you give them the # the security code (3 digit on back ) and expire date . The copy of front and bz

ack don't give them any more info.I see no problem except if you don't trust them don't give any info. About the having to get on internet to get best prices,I was stuck in nashville once and was given rediculous prices on flights out so i got on ,i think traveilocity and got a flight out for about 1/3 of what had been quoted. i went up to the same counter gave them the reservation and just smirked. :) D