Aiko mosquito and ant repellent ultrasonic plug in

t8769

There's not a shred of scientific evidence that ultrasound repels mosquitos. It's a con - rather like the GT200 scanners, but with fewer deaths. The credulous, unfortunately will believe any old rubbish and be parted from their money.

Don't work!! Neither have "ears". Ants are deaf. Mosquitoes have specialized organs in their antennae called Johnston's organs which are tuned to 300 to 400 Mhz mainly for mating. Ants feel vibrations only. If you sent out a sound between 300-400 Mhz you'll attract them not drive them away. So the so called electronics devices don't work. If they do, it probably more that there wasn't any pest around at the time due to other reasons.

Ants are more attracted to scents and smells detected by their antennae. Mosquitoes detect CO2.

Edited by Mrjlh

It has a light in the center to attract them and coils to zap them before they arrive.

I bought the cheapest unit to try them out and i recall seeing mossies stuck to the wire indicating that it actually worked but the coils eventually died while the light still works.

i have a sound emitting device which i do consider to work. not 100% and instant but over a few days intermittent use it makes the mozzies somewhat scare. its this one http://futurekit.com/2009/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=362&Itemid=75 look for any electronic shop with flashing lights and there is a good chance the stock this brand of stuff

I am surprised the light or the sound items work, mossies are attracted to body warmth and co2 emissions from your body.

I have seem 'make your own' traps on TV that get rave reviews.

BTW do mossies bite dogs and cats and other creatures?

Now i am finding the small fast mossies are the worst, too fast to catch and the bite is worse.

Nature's bane.

BTW do mossies bite dogs and cats and other creatures?

I don't know about cats, but they definitely bite dogs. They transmit heartworm (a parasitic roundworm) that is a terrible scourge on dogs in Thailand and is inevitably fatal without treatment. (And the treatment is also likely to kill the dog.) Fortunately there is a vaccine available against it - not that that helps street dogs.

• Like 1

Especially shorthaired dogs are bitten nonstop. I made a mosquitoscreen about the Beagle's cage of my friend with a hanging piece of very fine net as being the door. Dog loves it and always sleeps in it's cage now.

Those blue light things work very good but always break after 6 months or so. We used 3 of them nonstop. They don't sell those lightbulbs in BKK so you have to buy a new one all the time for about 250 baht.

Also some special lemongrassplant who has a strong scent can repel mozzie's. And OFF spray works perfect. Some houses almost don't have any mozzie's though, i wished i could say that.

• Like 1

Now i am finding the small fast mossies are the worst, too fast to catch and the bite is worse.

Nature's bane.

my theory is that the same shady/greedy/power hungry types who genetically engineer h1n5 etc for their own nefarious purposes have turned their attention genetically modifying mozzies to be small and fast, mozzies being a very prominent disease vector for many pharmaceutical/health industry requiring agents thus making their efforts worth while.

these small fast mozzies didnt exist anywhere even 6 years ago..

• Like 1

I've read that sonic repellents do not work ..

you could try a home made mozzie trap

I made on of these and it catches all sorts of bugs.
unfortunately mine also attracted a frog..

Homemade mosquito trap

]

Items needed:
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1 gram of yeast
1 2-liter bottle

HOW:
1. Cut the plastic bottle in half.
2. Mix brown sugar with hot water. Let cool. When cold, pour in the bottom half of the bottle.
3. Add the yeast. No need to mix. It creates carbon dioxide, which attracts mosquitoes.
4. Place the funnel part, upside down, into the other half of the bottle, taping them together if desired.
5. Wrap the bottle with something black, leaving the top uncovered, and place it outside in an area away from your normal gathering area. (Mosquitoes are also drawn to the color black.)

Change the solution every 2 weeks for continuous control.

• Like 1

Just a small problem with that: mosquitoes like blood, not sugar. (I believe vampires are famed for saying "I vant to suck your blood" - not "I vant to suck your sugar syrup".) It'll catch plenty of insects, but not blood-sucking ones.

Just a small problem with that: mosquitoes like blood, not sugar. (I believe vampires are famed for saying "I vant to suck your blood" - not "I vant to suck your sugar syrup".) It'll catch plenty of insects, but not blood-sucking ones.

well you could try putting your blood in in a bottle..

or simply realise that mozzie'S are attracted to Carbon dioxide.. That is, they're not equipped with blood detection kits and rely on sniffing out your breath to find where you are.

and the effects of mixing sugar and yeast will, yep you got it, produce CO2..

• Like 1

Nature's bane.

my theory is that the same shady/greedy/power hungry types who genetically engineer h1n5 etc for their own nefarious purposes have turned their attention genetically modifying mozzies to be small and fast, mozzies being a very prominent disease vector for many pharmaceutical/health industry requiring agents thus making their efforts worth while.

these small fast mozzies didnt exist anywhere even 6 years ago..

'...these small fast mozzies didnt exist anywhere even 6 years ago...'

That last line got me thinking:

What it it's true???

well I tried them out when I lived in Australia, being on a farm in sugar cane area really draws the rats and mice which these machines say they can deter as well as ants, spiders, mozzies etc. Actually thought it was working as the numbers of mice/rats went down drastically then I found a carpet snake living under my house, so it didnt even keep that away which in the end was pretty good. Then again maybe the machine attracted the snake which kept the mice/rats down so it may have worked, Bloody mozzies didnt stop though......

'...these small fast mozzies didnt exist anywhere even 6 years ago...'

That last line got me thinking:

What it it's true???

I wonder. This year I notice that there is no more a satisfying 'crack' when I get a mossie on my electric tennis racket, I have to look very closely to find the corpse, it was not always thus.