Places to take someone special for New Year's Eve

ttthailand

I don't live in Chiang Mai but am going there for New Year's Eve. I know a lot of the nice restaurants will be fully booked already for New Years Eve parties so they are perhaps off my list. If you were just now planning, Where would you take your special someone for an enjoyable evening including dinner and fireworks? Can be other events too... Ideas please :)

What time do the fireworks normally start, 12:00 ?

I suppose it's OK sitting in one place all evening if that's the preference or maybe disability prevents someone being mobile.

Personally, I find that heading to Thapae Gate and joining in with the Thai's, who really know how to have a good time is the most enjoyable and you will be most welcomed. Of course you can duck into any bar or restaurant along the way for some food and drink, so you aren't stuck in one place all night.

IMO eating and drinking is best done at Xmas / Thanksgiving etc, New Year is for getting out and mixing with everyone.

Be sure to put a coat on and Happy New Year.

The Edge-newly opened restaurant on the river. Great food-not cheap but dont eat for 2 days or take a doggie bag. They did an amazing christmas dinner and I took a look at their New Year Menu-very good. Check them out on FB for location.

UG's Choice of The River Market would be a good romantic choice, Just drove past Taweechol resort on the way to Doi Saket and they are having some sort of New Year Celebration at 300 Baht a head.

I just called the River Market. Place looks sweet. Price is 3,000 something baht but it includes drinks, open bar what ever that means. Something to think about.

• Like 1

Well if money is no object there is this.

The Magical Kingdom New Year’s Eve 2013 at Dhara Dhevi Chiang Mai The entertainments will begin with live band, VIE trio band and DJ entertainment, a Magical Kingdom performance, release of traditional hot air-filled balloons and countdown fireworks. The New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner will offer an amazing culinary choice, with a vast choice of appetizers and salads, cheese, seafood, soup, Thai, Chinese, Italian and BBQ dishes as well as charcuterie, caviar, foie gras, sushi and sashimi, pasta/risotto and carving stations and utterly delicious desserts. The New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner is priced at THB 15,100 net per person including one bottle of champagne per two persons Reservations053888888 through <email removed>

Edited by onthedarkside
email removed as per forum rules

30200 baht for 2 and only one bottle of pop?? Now if they had made it a round 30k that might have been a deal.

But seriously, who wants to see in the New Year with folks who spend their money like that?. Way too HiSo for me, I'd sooner be out having unpretentious fun

• Like 2

UG's Choice of The River Market would be a good romantic choice, Just drove past Taweechol resort on the way to Doi Saket and they are having some sort of New Year Celebration at 300 Baht a head.

I just called the River Market. Place looks sweet. Price is 3,000 something baht but it includes drinks, open bar what ever that means. Something to think about.

I think that it means that you can drink as much as you want, but I would ask before paying.

Could always do the kantoke place behind Big C (give em a bell). RMarket would be cool if you could get your seat at the bar at noon, and Dhara Dhevi, does that like come with a TV?!

Reckon best off hitting a midrange eatery on Thapae/Moon Muang/Loi Kroh/Rachadamnoen and then do Thapae Gate for fireworks/khom loi as uptheos suggested.

Edited by jackr

I'll be in the Big C beer court. It's 105 for a jug of Chang draught with free perving of the beer girls. Next will be a slap up meal of chicken on rice with the spicy sauce for 35 baht from one of the food concessions before rounding off the evening with a 9 baht ice cream cone from Diary Queen downstairs.

• Like 1

I'll be in the Big C beer court. It's 105 for a jug of Chang draught with free perving of the beer girls. Next will be a slap up meal of chicken on rice with the spicy sauce for 35 baht from one of the food concessions before rounding off the evening with a 9 baht ice cream cone from Diary Queen downstairs.

How late is that beer court open?

There are "crazy fun" places and "not-so crazy fun" places, elegant places, and places where you eat noodles out of styrofoam trays. There are some popular places where a couple can be fit in, even if it is crowded, but it is can be no fun trying them at the last moment. ANyway, there are more than one thousand restaurants in Chiang Mai now!

Some good recommendations above if you like the river and the fireworks. The scene at Tapae Gate is quite crowded, crazy but fun if you like a crowd. If that's your thing, do it, stay loose, and enjoy!

I guess that most important thing is enjoy wherever you are with whomever you have with you!

And that is my wish for everyone!

Cheers!

• Like 1

You are a real party guy !!!!!! neus.gif

There are "crazy fun" places and "not-so crazy fun" places, elegant places, and places where you eat noodles out of styrofoam trays. There are some popular places where a couple can be fit in, even if it is crowded, but it is can be no fun trying them at the last moment. ANyway, there are more than one thousand restaurants in Chiang Mai now!

Some good recommendations above if you like the river and the fireworks. The scene at Tapae Gate is quite crowded, crazy but fun if you like a crowd. If that's your thing, do it, stay loose, and enjoy!

I guess that most important thing is enjoy wherever you are with whomever you have with you!

Cheers!

It's truly what you say, it's really about who you are with and enjoying the moment. I am sure I will have a great evening but wanted to make it a little special. Not really talking about spending money to impress as that phase is over or never really was there. It is about just doing what is fun and can be a memorable experience. I just want to see the fireworks not only at midnight but the entire evening. Life is great !!!

How late is that beer court open?

7pm the live music stops. I then need to get to Dairy Queen before it closes at 8pm. In bed watching YouTube by 9am and asleep by 10 pm. However, I'll be up before 5am to tamboon with the family and then breakfast with the extended family somewhere like jok somphet by 7am.

It sounds boring but I had so many excessive New Years from the age of 17 to 40 that I won't feel I'm missing anything.

• Like 1

Cheers!

thumbsup.gif Happy New Year

Thapae Gate last year was pretty low keyed, but enough people and the fireworks go off right over your head. it's fine. it was a slight culture shock, not really, to not see any couples kissing. maybe i just missed it. thousands of people around me, and i didn't see one kiss. ah, who knows....

anyhow, this year i plan on trying some new mountain beer with the yellow and blue-stripped flower while swimming in the moat. haha.

2014 will the be the best of the best of the best........so buy your bobble head cat for good luck, play the lottery, and burn incense while mediating...

wai2.gif

Thapae Gate last year was pretty low keyed, but enough people and the fireworks go off right over your head. it's fine. it was a slight culture shock, not really, to not see any couples kissing. maybe i just missed it. thousands of people around me, and i didn't see one kiss. ah, who knows....

anyhow, this year i plan on trying some new mountain beer with the yellow and blue-stripped flower while swimming in the moat. haha.

2014 will the be the best of the best of the best........so buy your bobble head cat for good luck, play the lottery, and burn incense while mediating...

wai2.gif

You haven't been here long enough to know that most Thai's don't kiss in public.

If kissing makes your New Year, I'm sure you can find a few foreign grannies to help you out. biggrin.png HNY

The food there was a thousand times better when it were Carrefour. I like your style though. wink.png