Former EC commissioner foresees "deadlock"

Lite Beer

Former EC commissioner foresees "deadlock"
The Nation

30223221-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Former commissioner of the Election Commission (EC) Sodsri Sattayatham expressed Sunday her concerns that the election may end up with the fewer-than-required number of MPs.

She feared that as candidacy registrations are blocked in some provinces, the number of MPs would fall short of 95 per cent - the threshold required to open the Parliament.

Registrations in the seven southern provinces which have 32 constituencies are still blocked by anti-government protesters. Thailand’s House of Representatives is made up of 375 members from single constituency elections and 125 members from "proportional representation" by party lists.

Sodsri noted that without candidacy in only 25 constituencies, the number of MPs would be fewer than 95 per cent due to Thailand’s "proportional representation" method.

Sodsri noted that while she was in office, the Election Commission faced a similar problem when no candidates showed up in the by-elections, following the resignation of Democrat MPs in the South. Under the current election law, there is no clause to end this "deadlock".

Then, the Election Commission was prepared to have the Auditor General’s Office seek an answer from the Constitutional Court, she said.

Meanwhile, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan Sunday urged political parties’ candidates unable to register for the February 2 election to file charges with police.

They are also advised to bring document for the registration to the Election Commission.

Charupong also said that any persons blocking the registration should be aware of the 1-year imprisonment penalty and the 10-year statutory limit.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-29

Metamorphosis is an alternative. However, the word doesn't exist in Thai. It's simply an '-ism'...... such as plagiarism, and so forth: copying ideas and taking them forward, as your own... as has happened for the last... errm... 1,000 years here? Then again metamorphism, applied to any potential future Thai government, would be grander than copying the shit of centuries old!

-mel.

They could reform the system by attempting to install the belief that lay-people can have a say in the outcome of things and that speaking your mind no matter how outrageous and alienating your views are is a good thing for society.

Like TV members do smile.png

For the ordinary man and woman it seems election time means making yourself heard, that familiar sound of rock through glass pane window, and this is the only statement that anyone seems to have any confidence in at all.

My gut feeling is the international community will say quietly "yep lets have an election please" unless the crisis reaches proportions that out do the efforts of 2010's carnage, which could then grant a firm reason for something entirely different.

smile.png

For the ordinary man and woman it seems election time means making yourself heard, that familiar sound of rock through glass pane window, and this is the only statement that anyone seems to have any confidence in at all.

My gut feeling is the international community will say quietly "yep lets have an election please" unless the crisis reaches proportions that out do the efforts of 2010's carnage, which could then grant a firm reason for something entirely different.

They could reform the system by attempting to install the belief that lay-people can have a say in the outcome of things and that speaking your mind no matter how outrageous and alienating your views are is a good thing for society.

Like TV members do.

There would be hundreds of deaths a day. There would be here if there wasn't 100% anonymity.

It is heading the way of severely out-doing 2010. Next year could see this bring the deaths of 100s where Thaksin will reserve a wry smile for each death.

Edited by QuiteIntelligent

Power sharing is a delicate and difficult issue everywhere on our planet. I hold that both sides are correct, and have legitimate issues. The family business should be curbed, and the poor should be assisted. But this confrontation, anger and violence is not the way to accomplish anything. Thais deserve better than this.

Nobody likes that idea, the idea of sharing power. What a tragedy.

• Like 1

The way ahead for Thailand is to reform the electoral system, and in particular to remove the failed party list system of the extra 125 MPs which skew the election result towards the national parties of PT and Democrats. Having all the MPs from constituencies would necessitate all members representing their constituent interests, including PM and deputy PMs, and strengthen the hand of the smaller regional parties in coalition agreements. It would also make it more obvious who is working for their constituents and who is only interested in lining their own pockets Alongside this has to be an absolutely independent election commission drawing up the constituency boundaries to ensure that there is no gerrymandering and all constituents are equally represented. Of course the main parties would not wish to see this happen, but it is the only way forward out of the current impasses

No argument on any of your points. You're exactly right. Where it falls down, however, is that hardly any MPs care about their constituencies (and the constituents mostly have lapsed into ennui about this). There are exceptions, of course, but these people are usually buried in the political wash. I have personal experience of absent MPs. I won't bore you with the details other than to say that it involved several avoidable deaths and the MP concerned (one of the 111 banned TRT executives) had never even visited the area where it occurred. I decided to phone her because my family was affected, and asked her to do something about it. That's when I found out she had no idea of what was going on with this very major problem in her constituency. The local small business people - I got to know many of them over the years - had never seen her around. Ever. Nor had any communication with her. I only got through because her staff were a bit shell-shocked at hearing a foreigner on the phone.

I wonder how much she was paid.

The same as the other EC workers who just happened to quit at exactly the same time ?

The same as this rag of a newspaper is paid to be a mouthpiece?

They had completed their terms under the law. They did not quit.

Nice one...

Seven provinces in southern Thailand had election registrations blocked. This raises a big question on the Thai south. Usually in conflict of this magnitude in other countries, the UN is watching the elections and foreign press is reporting major discrepancies. Not in THailand.

The way ahead for Thailand is to reform the electoral system, and in particular to remove the failed party list system of the extra 125 MPs which skew the election result towards the national parties of PT and Democrats. Having all the MPs from constituencies would necessitate all members representing their constituent interests, including PM and deputy PMs, and strengthen the hand of the smaller regional parties in coalition agreements. It would also make it more obvious who is working for their constituents and who is only interested in lining their own pockets Alongside this has to be an absolutely independent election commission drawing up the constituency boundaries to ensure that there is no gerrymandering and all constituents are equally represented. Of course the main parties would not wish to see this happen, but it is the only way forward out of the current impasses

Just thought it was a great post and worth repeating. finding an "absolutely independent election commission" might be a problem.

Seven provinces in southern Thailand had election registrations blocked. This raises a big question on the Thai south. Usually in conflict of this magnitude in other countries, the UN is watching the elections and foreign press is reporting major discrepancies. Not in THailand.

It does not look good. Not talked about but I wonder how many registration centers in the red shirt country are blocked to certain people.

This is part of the nonsense that needs reforming prior to an election.

• Like 1

The reservations of the former commissioner of the EC likely parallels similar concerns and similar arguments of the current EC. And yet, every time the EC has expressed an interest in considering an election delay - the clearest path towards diffusing the present crisis - the administration has clamped down hard. Right now, the EC is huddled with yet another meeting, this time with three key members of the administration - whose identities have not been disclosed to the media - to try to yet again find some consensus. A cynical point of view is that the EC will come out firmly and confidently for the election to go ahead. Given the actions of the Yingluck administration over the last two months, being cynical is perhaps not an injudicious stance.

I quite agree but I understand the timing is a Constitutional requirement.

I think there will be only one final result.

I notice a lot of comments about reform in the voting system or reform right across the whole government system , I wouldn't hold my breath , all members of parliament are only there for one thing , themselves , they have no interest in helping Thailand or the people, why bight the hand that feeds you, whilst this go's on the status quo will remain.bah.gif

• Like 1

I wonder how much she was paid.

The same as the other EC workers who just happened to quit at exactly the same time ?

The same as this rag of a newspaper is paid to be a mouthpiece?

Pointless rhetoric as ever, ever thought about backing up an argument with some evidence ? Now go back under your bridge and eat your fish...

It does not look good. Not talked about but I wonder how many registration centers in the red shirt country are blocked to certain people.

Let me get this straight, you're now accusing the red shirts of blockading registration centres in the north and north - east? Why would they do that dolly, I mean, think about it?

Who are these "certain people" you speak of that would be blockaded

I notice a lot of comments about reform in the voting system or reform right across the whole government system , I wouldn't hold my breath , all members of parliament are only there for one thing , themselves , they have no interest in helping Thailand or the people, why bight the hand that feeds you, whilst this go's on the status quo will remain.bah.gif

It is my understanding that both sides are in favor of a reforming committee that includes members from other fields. It is just that the one side wants the election reform before the election. which makes sense as that way the government would have less chance of interfering.

As usual the problem is who will be on the reform committee. As it sits Suthep and Yingluck have in effect ruled them selves out with their single minded thinking. What is needed it is open minded people.

"What is needed it is open minded people."

Ahhh! Expats to the rescue!

Let me get this straight, you're now accusing the red shirts of blockading registration centres in the north and north - east? Why would they do that dolly, I mean, think about it?

Well you can read what I really wrote or I will explain it to you if you can learn to understand this.

http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2013/results/

Well you can read what I really wrote or I will explain it to you if you can learn to understand this.

Im beginning to think that link is your homepage its pasted so much rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

It is my understanding that both sides are in favor of a reforming committee that includes members from other fields. It is just that the one side wants the election reform before the election. which makes sense as that way the government would have less chance of interfering.

As usual the problem is who will be on the reform committee. As it sits Suthep and Yingluck have in effect ruled them selves out with their single minded thinking. What is needed it is open minded people.

"What is needed it is open minded people."

Ahhh! Expats to the rescue!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could.

But alas all we can do is sit on the sidelines and shake are heads.

I wonder if they ever do get a committee to sort it out if there will be a farong on it? After all they are both saying that it would include people from the business sector.

I saw Suthep on the TV this morning cleaning up the area. Getting ready for the New Years celebrations. Be nice to see if they clean up before they go home or just leave it like a pigsty as the red shirts did. They learned to do that in red shirt school for democracy.Thaksin just paid people to make the mess he never did any thing to clean it up.LOL

Yes I know it was just for show but it was a good demonstration of pride in the country.

That link is like an amulet to you isn't it - an answer to all ills?

All right, I'll humour you, what the #@%$ has a 2 place slip on a corruption perception index got to do with answering my question?

You wrote this

"It does not look good. Not talked about but I wonder how many registration centers in the red shirt country are blocked to certain people."

to which I, knowing your political bias, quite reasonably replied

"Let me get this straight, you're now accusing the red shirts of blockading registration centres in the north and north - east? Why would they do that dolly, I mean, think about it?

asking the question

Who are these "certain people" you speak of that would be blockaded"