Right hand drive manual transmission- is it easy to adapt?

DA3NDORPHIN3

How does your cock-eyed theory account for the fact that the vast majority of people are right-handed, so to use your logic the vast majority of drivers in Thailand or UK, for example, should never find it natural to change gear with their left hand? What you are banging on about is clearly absolute nonsense, regardless of brain configuration. I've never once heard of any driver in UK or here complain that RHD vehicles with the gear lever on the left pose problems to right-handed drivers.

Yes I figured this was too deep for most, give it up, like the others it's beyond your comprehension, another one missing all the salient points.

OP take my educated advice it's never going to be the same nor completely comfortable but you'll get by enough to function the rest here who haven't the analytically intellect or practical experience are so blinded to the reality it's like trying to explain that soi dogs have no clue of their suffering because that's all they know and to them it's just living life..

Just so you know, once again, it is not a theory it's a fact based on science and biology. Once again for the thickest amongst us, if you're born into it you have nothing to compare against. If you've done it your entire driving career it FEELS normal but it isn't and if you make the change and did it competitively for example where differences really distinguish themselves you'd have something to relate to but you don't.. I have and I do so I know first hand.. No argument really just a chance for those of you to learn what you're clearly clueless about................... Or not............

It must be marvellous to be so qualified, informed, and as intelligent as you are. If only the rest of us could have your attributes.

But, sorry to disappoint you, it's not too deep at all or beyond my comprehension, or the comprehension of others here, it's just that, in this case you're wrong. And if your advice is educated then your education leaves a lot to be desired especially when you make a reference to "analytically intellect". Or "science and biology"? Is biology not science?

Just so you know, no matter what you say, your suggesting that because I am right-handed means that I will never be comfortable changing gear with my left hand is not a fact, it's just your incorrect dogmatic theory. You are really starting to emphasise your ignorance and arrogance the more you make these daft assertions of yours.

Although you may have experience of racing, that does not necessarily make you the paramount authority on all things automotive that you think you are, as you are so clearly demonstrating.

• Like 1

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does your cock-eyed theory account for the fact that the vast majority of people are right-handed, so to use your logic the vast majority of drivers in Thailand or UK, for example, should never find it natural to change gear with their left hand? What you are banging on about is clearly absolute nonsense, regardless of brain configuration. I've never once heard of any driver in UK or here complain that RHD vehicles with the gear lever on the left pose problems to right-handed drivers.

Yes I figured this was too deep for most, give it up, like the others it's beyond your comprehension, another one missing all the salient points.

OP take my educated advice it's never going to be the same nor completely comfortable but you'll get by enough to function the rest here who haven't the analytically intellect or practical experience are so blinded to the reality it's like trying to explain that soi dogs have no clue of their suffering because that's all they know and to them it's just living life..

Just so you know, once again, it is not a theory it's a fact based on science and biology. Once again for the thickest amongst us, if you're born into it you have nothing to compare against. If you've done it your entire driving career it FEELS normal but it isn't and if you make the change and did it competitively for example where differences really distinguish themselves you'd have something to relate to but you don't.. I have and I do so I know first hand.. No argument really just a chance for those of you to learn what you're clearly clueless about................... Or not............

It must be marvellous to be so qualified, informed, and as intelligent as you are. If only the rest of us could have your attributes.

But, sorry to disappoint you, it's not too deep at all or beyond my comprehension, or the comprehension of others here, it's just that, in this case you're wrong. And if your advice is educated then your education leaves a lot to be desired especially when you make a reference to "analytically intellect". Or "science and biology"? Is biology not science?

Just so you know, no matter what you say, your suggesting that because I am right-handed means that I will never be comfortable changing gear with my left hand is not a fact, it's just your incorrect dogmatic theory. You are really starting to emphasise your ignorance and arrogance the more you make these daft assertions of yours.

Although you may have experience of racing, that does not necessarily make you the paramount authority on all things automotive that you think you are, as you are so clearly demonstrating.

May I add that a certain poster here purports to be a saloon race car champion, I would assume LHD and RHD rides would be nooooo problem for the guy if he was asked to drive either. So yes, he is wrong.

• Like 1

I really don't think that changing gear is such a big deal. I learnt on rhd vehicles, lived in a country with lhd for 40 years then moved here. I know where the gear lever is and I use it. What's the big deal guys, I'm 65 years old, if I can do it...

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

May I add that a certain poster here purports to be a saloon race car champion, I would assume LHD and RHD rides would be nooooo problem for the guy if he was asked to drive either. So yes, he is wrong.

Sorry - I am from Canada.

Is a saloon car champion a guy who talks about winning car races in the bar ??

Noooooooo, he is amongst us.............whistling.gif

Spoonman is right, I drive disabled persons gearbox , commonly known as an Auto , unless your stuck in a BkkGridlok they are F/Kin useless.. unless its a top end override Audi/BM type. Also depends where you live and how near to Arthritis you are.. biggrin.png . Trans Ams a poor old Chap now, he needs auto Tyre Pressure dash Readouts these days.giggle.gif

Bet a Single Seater confuses our Pet Yank then.. And a Happy New Year, one and all

• Like 1

Bet a Single Seater confuses our Pet Yank then.. And a Happy New Year, one and all

A Kenworth 3 sticker ( box and 2 splitters) would really have unravelled him ,specially when it came to changing two boxes simultaniously.

I wonder which side of the brain controls both hands and both feet all at once.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I really don't think that changing gear is such a big deal. I learnt on rhd vehicles, lived in a country with lhd for 40 years then moved here. I know where the gear lever is and I use it. What's the big deal guys, I'm 65 years old, if I can do it... Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

It isn't a big deal unless you are WarpSpeed.

I really don't think that changing gear is such a big deal. I learnt on rhd vehicles, lived in a country with lhd for 40 years then moved here. I know where the gear lever is and I use it. What's the big deal guys, I'm 65 years old, if I can do it... Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

No, it's not a big deal if you are some sort of masochist ... you must be to do it in Bangkok Traffic. Anyway it can't be easy to steer, mobile to ear and move that stick all at the same time ... probably accounts for some of the strange maneuvers one sees.

GO AUTO ............. You don't need a high end vehicle to get a smooth auto change ... those who think that are living in the past ... just like ... well

Happy New Year guys.

Jesus ... just get an auto. I bought an automatic Triumph Stag many many years ago in the UK and have never owned a car with a manual gearbox car since.

Okay, manuals can be fun to drive ... but here! ... how much pain do you want to inflict on yourself. Well I suppose okay in the country side. As many have said, not that difficult to adapt to the wheel on the other side ... unless of course you are quite a lot 'long in the tooth'. smile.png

Yep, I would never own a manual in LOS, hard work.

Me neither, driving in Pattaya or Bangkok with manual gear must be hell.

Just been to Koh Chang in my auto trans. truck and no problem, okay some wheel spin on the step twisting mountain roads when up, great fun. biggrin.png

Pattaya is fine with a manual.

Never had problem either, not even Bangkok where I mostly drove..

Except what you ignorant fools don't get is I can kick any of your <deleted> either way in a manual..But you're to thick to understand that and learn something first hand from someone who really knows the difference but hey that's ok, stay ignorant and make foolish comments. I'd expect nothing less, it reflects more on people like you then it does me....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Poor you, that explains a lot... Can't blame you for apologizing.. You're forgiven...

Yes, keep wishing and hoping maybe someday you may achieve that but not any time soon with your closed minded ignorance and sarcasm.. Amazing how so many people who don't even post a single worth while piece of advice in the motor forum and of who I've given so much good advice come out like a rabid pack of children to act like gang banging juvenile bullies when one jack ass starts it up. Basically all of those who jump in are nothing more then cowards who would never do so in person and certainly not initiate it on their own.

Edited by WarpSpeed
  • Like 1

It's never gonna feel natural, only passable, unless you're left handed.. It matters not the peddles as the hands don't work the same either being that now you're shifting with the left hand the commands come from different sides of the brain then when right hand shifting.

I'm not left handed and it feels perfectly natural to me!

If there is any problem it is over thinking on the part of the OP.

• Like 1

Poor you, that explains a lot... Can't blame you for apologizing.. You're forgiven...

My attempt to inject a little humor into what is fast becoming a s--tfest was not appreciated I see.

sa·loon (sschwa.gif-loomacr.gifnprime.gif)n.

1. A place where alcoholic drinks are sold and drunk; a tavern.
2. A large room or hall for receptions, public entertainment, or exhibitions.

My attempt to inject a little humor into what is fast becoming a s--tfest was not appreciated I see.

That's where I've been going wrong , I've got into many Saloons and found No Beer, perhaps I should get into Trucks , the drivers are normally pissed round here.drunk.gif .

That's where I've been going wrong , I've got into many Saloons and found No Beer, perhaps I should get into Trucks , the drivers are normally pissed round here.drunk.gif .

Given 90% of your posts AOP are unintelligible I come to the conclusion you do not need any more booze.

Edited by Spoonman

Arrogance is the Preserve of Ford knackered Engine Folk, Humor is the Preserve of Lotus Pressure Gauge Owners. Non the Less ,take care everyone.partytime2.gif

Surely you are not talking to me. in my 8 years here Ive only owned chev's other than the current Ford and it is about 15 months old but you must remember I have not driven it for the past 7 months.

you just talk dribble.

2. (also saloon car) British a car having a closed body and a closed boot separated from the part in which the driver and passengers sit:

Edited by VocalNeal

I have very little experience with driving a RHD, left-hand shift vehicle. But the shift planes start from left. The 1-2 shift plane is far away from the driver, whereas the same shift plane is nearest the driver in a LHD vehicle. That's what bugged me the most in the transition.