Right hand drive manual transmission- is it easy to adapt?

DA3NDORPHIN3

In EU i was used to change gears with my right hand but now when i'm living here just wondering if it's gonna be hard to adjust to change gears with my left hand?

My only experience was about 20-30minutes and it was really weird.I would be greatful if anyone could share experience and your thoughts if changing gears with left hand could ever become natural?

Best idea would probably be to buy AT,but on this model price is almost 100,000baht more,so i would rather go with MT.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drive a LHD truck here in the UK, just start off carefully. Park at the side of the road and find a marker to line up with the kerb ( could be part of the wiper arm, or you can stick a bit of tape on the windscreen). Worst part will be squeezing through small gaps. Just take your time to begin with, a couple of days and it will feel perfectly natural.

You will probably get use to it,but why?....Maybe it's more money for the AT,but switching gears in the traffic is no fun...

That could be problem too because i'm living in Pattaya and traffic is notorious here.And i'm probably gonna drive 90% in here.

But i would have no trouble if gear shifter is located on right side(like in eu),so just wondering if left side gear shift is gonna feel natural like right side as the time goes by and i get more adjust to it to the point it will feels perfectly natural..

Edited by DA3NDORPHIN3

You will probably get use to it,but why?....Maybe it's more money for the AT,but switching gears in the traffic is no fun...

That could be problem too because i'm living in Pattaya and traffic is notorious here.And i'm probably gonna drive 90% in here.

But i would have no trouble if gear shifter is located on right side(like in eu),so just wondering if left side gear shift is gonna feel natural like right side as the time goes by and i get more adjust to it to the point it will feels perfectly natural..

Yeap...no problem....look at above comment...wink.png

• Like 1

One adapts fairly quickly to the 'wrong' side, I went the other way, as a Brit my first experience of a left-hooker was in Italy, in Rome, chaos and mayhem.

Changing gear (with the window winder) was the least of our worries :)

The hardest part is learning where the passenger side ends, you will tend to be too far over to the right (or was it left), your passenger will soon tell you when the trees are getting a bit close.

I only turned onto the wrong side of the road once, that was enough for a lifetime smile.png

• Like 2

My recommendation, buy an auto transmission. I've been brought up with a left hand manual gear change. I've driven manual cars in Pattaya and it's the biggest pain in the arse you could ever imagine. Having to change gears is bad enough, the effort required on your left leg is a worry also - hope your knees are in good condition.

It's one more distraction I don't need, so for the OP who seems a little worried about it and is unfamiliar with left hand shifting, it will be an even bigger distraction.

Whoever designed the auto trans had Pattaya in mind when he drew up the blueprints. JMHO. smile.png

• Like 2

I occasionally draw out into an empty road and find myself on the wrong side. My wife seems to find this normal, she is Thai after all..

Biggest tip I ever got from a friend about driving on the "wrong" side of the road (in my case, seated on the left), was to remember to keep your shoulder to the centre line. That takes away the need to translate direction of travel and turning geometry.

Works for left and right hand countries, but as you point out, Thailand is a little differentblink.png .

As an aside, I note that many Europeans and Americans have a habit of riding their scooters in the right hand lane (closest to the centre), which is decidedly not a good idea in most situations. I know the right hand lane in their country is the slow lane, but you have to reverse your thinking when riding in a drive on the left country.

• Like 1

It's never gonna feel natural, only passable, unless you're left handed.. It matters not the peddles as the hands don't work the same either being that now you're shifting with the left hand the commands come from different sides of the brain then when right hand shifting.

It's never gonna feel natural, only passable, unless you're left handed.. It matters not the peddles as the hands don't work the same either being that now you're shifting with the left hand the commands come from different sides of the brain then when right hand shifting.

Rubbish................coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Rubbish................coffee1.gif

Back to your old snotty attitude based on no personal experience eh T/A? Not rubbish,, science.. I lived there 10 years and never owned anything but a manual while you own an autobox PU, now tell me it's rubbish? And also raced a manual after being there 7 years and it was still not natural, it was still awkward but since you've never driven both sides for any length of time your perspective is your usual rubbish....

Edited by WarpSpeed

In UK I had a manual LHD yank for years and drove manual RHD heavy goods vehicles, no problem. It is down to the individuals ability to do stuff. Noooooooo science involved.

You know? Back to your own idiotic ways again, I knew it was too good to be true... It is science you fool, do some research instead of making nonsensical replies based on nothing scientific... And you drove a truck?? cheesy.gifcheesy.gif yeah that's something to compare a car to, it takes very little rhythm and shifts at half the speed.

Edited by WarpSpeed

In UK I had a manual LHD yank for years and drove manual RHD heavy goods vehicles, no problem. It is down to the individuals ability to do stuff. Noooooooo science involved.

You know? Back to your own idiotic ways again, I knew it was too good to be true... It is science you idiot, do some research..

What is scientific about l can get out of a LHD ride and jump in a RHD with no problem.???????????

• Like 1

The instruction do not come from a different side of your brain for different hands.

Even when left-brain-right-brain theories were accepted, they didn't describe the movement of left-hand-right-hand as being separate.

All that is happening is a learned reflex. Therefore it is more natural (for me) to reach for the gear change with my left hand, as that is how I first learned to drive.

When I drive a vehicle with the gear change on the right, I have to think about it for a few minutes until my brain (both sides of it) has processed the fact that it's in a different location.

Normally, I will drive with my hand rested on the gear change for about 15 minutes and after that, I don't have to worry about it any more.

'Shoulder to the centre line' tip from an earlier post is a good one too.

• Like 2

Read my post again it's not natural to right handed people it's different sides of the brain being used, the reason you could go from left to right easier is that you have driven mostly left hand and then switching to the right is more natural so an easy transition and then switching back again seems easy but to drivers who have driven right handed do not make that transition so easily and besides, in fact, because of the different sides of the brain being used if you're not left handed it will NEVER be easier or the same to shift left handed and to make matters worse the gear sequence is backwards from right hand shifting..

The clutching coordination is also effected by left hand shifting, again due to the same side of the brain doing both tasks.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I've been driving a 50/50 mix of LHD and RHD cars and trucks for 30 odd years now and don't notice a difference. Right at the start I found i'd try to enter carparks the wrong way on occasions but that was it. Just remember the indicator stalk is near the drivers window on most cars and you won't have little embarassing moments like the wipers going instead of the indicators.

• Like 2

The instruction do not come from a different side of your brain for different hands.

Even when left-brain-right-brain theories were accepted, they didn't describe the movement of left-hand-right-hand as being separate.

All that is happening is a learned reflex. Therefore it is more natural (for me) to reach for the gear change with my left hand, as that is how I first learned to drive.

When I drive a vehicle with the gear change on the right, I have to think about it for a few minutes until my brain (both sides of it) has processed the fact that it's in a different location.

Normally, I will drive with my hand rested on the gear change for about 15 minutes and after that, I don't have to worry about it any more.

Correct....thumbsup.gif

I've been driving a 50/50 mix of LHD and RHD cars and trucks for 30 odd years now and don't notice a difference. Right at the start I found i'd try to enter carparks the wrong way on occasions but that was it. Just remember the indicator stalk is near the drivers window on most cars and you won't have little embarassing moments like the wipers going instead of the indicators.

That was my only problem. Constantly washing the screen......laugh.png

OH <deleted> the very first sentence of your post shows you're as uneducated as the rest that think like you do without any real knowledge of the science, so no need to discuss anything more, your credibility is nil..

So think about this, every one is naturally ambidextrous then? Rhetorical question BTW.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Warpy, hmmmmmm, I cannot write with my left hand, my gray cells tell me that, BUT, I can drive a car/ride in any configuration. LHD, RHD, noooooooooo problem, and my pals have noooo problem. Your theory has noooo relevance to driving something. On the/your race track, cars are left or right hand drive, do YOU have a problem with either ?

• Like 1