Cold-weather boozing dangerous: Thai doctor

webfact

HEALTH
Cold-weather boozing dangerous: doctor

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Heavy drinking in cold weather can cause life-threatening symptoms, a doctor in Kalasin warned yesterday.

"For example, it may lead to heart failure," Kalasin Hospital director Methee Pisitpayat said.

This month, temperatures are low in many parts of Thailand.

In Kalasin, the mercury has hovered between 10 and 12 degrees Celsius at night. In several northern and northeastern provinces, the temperature has dropped so low that frozen dewdrops have appeared.

In Amnat Charoen, a 94-year-old woman was found dead in her bedroom yesterday morning and doctors suspect it became too cold for her.

"She was relatively healthy. So we suspect the cold spell as the cause," said Amnat Charoen Provincial Administrative Organisation councillor Prasert Kananont.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-30

They are correct cold weather and alcohol do not mix. Ira Hayes, a Pima Indian from Arizona and one of the marines who raised the flag on Mount. Suribachi, Iwo Jima died from exposure after drinking too much and falling asleep outside.

• Like 2

"In several northern and northeastern provinces, the temperature has dropped so low that frozen dewdrops have appeared."

Not exactly -28 in Moskow...

"In Amnat Charoen, a 94-year-old woman was found dead in her bedroom yesterday morning and doctors suspect it became too cold for her.

"She was relatively healthy. So we suspect the cold spell as the cause," said Amnat Charoen Provincial Administrative Organisation councillor Prasert Kananont"

There's a well-balanced autopsy report. The lady was 94. Very well possible it was her time in spite of any temperature. Sounds like a good way to go though.

"Heavy drinking in cold weather can cause life-threatening symptoms, a doctor in Kalasin warned yesterday."

Well, this warning should be just as effective as the programs to reduce traffic crashes, general alcohol abuse, smoking tobacco, domestic violence, consumption of sugar and other unhealthy foods, etc.

Most people have been warned about changing unhealthy/life threatening habits, but are: 1) too stupid to understand the consequences; 2) too weak to change; 3) just don't care.

However, reporting all the deaths due to irresponsible behaviors reinforces ones belief that Darwinism is still in full operation.

• Like 2

Alcohol gives you a sugar boost and so drinking small amount, a few beers or shots, is actually good for keeping yourself going while you build a fire or walk home. My Grandfather used to drink Brennvin, Swedish home-stilled spirits from berries, out of a hip flask when walking home through the snow in Northern Sweden. But the idea is to take swigs to warm you up on the walk home or build a fire, not to get totally smashed and topple into a snowdrift lol.

coffee1.gif

Drink and not get smashed ?? Can't see the point in that..

totster :)

• Like 1

Works reasonably well for Russians.

Have you seen the stats for alcohol related deaths in Russia?

I would expect that all the alcohol related deaths in Russia have something to do with alcohol.

(makes as much sense as the OP)

My other great great grandfather is among the stats -alcohol related deaths---- He was run over by a Johnny Walker lorry.

• Like 2

How many 94 year old do you think are in Amnat CHaroern province? Most of the women there die before they are 60.

<deleted> I'm no doctor and can see a possible cause of death being old-age.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 2

I would expect that all the alcohol related deaths in Russia have something to do with alcohol.

Let me be clearer then: over 50 percent of all premature deaths in russia of people of working age are directly attributed to alcohol abuse. My point was not aimed at the OP but at comment alcohol works for Russians. It doesn't. Edited by Bluespunk

No, but I spend a fair amount of time there and my wife is Russian. Those guys getting drunk and falling down or having a car wreck while drunk has little to do with cold weather. Nevertheless, my statement was in jest and intended to be on about the same level as Thai guy coming up with this brilliant deduction.

• Like 1

It was mentioned by a Thai road safety expert (sic) that bad spirits were the cause of most road accidents in Thailand so I guess there might be something in this. Best to go easy on the ice in your whisky in the cold weather so you don't numb your hands and make sure it's good stuff.

Chin chin!

Let me be clearer then: over 50 percent of all premature deaths in russia of people of working age are directly attributed to alcohol abuse. My point was not aimed at the OP but at comment alcohol works for Russians. It doesn't.

Oh jeez, always someone that has to play rocket scientist. Besides my comment being a joke, I was only addressing drinking in the cold.

Russians are equal opportunists and drive into objects whether summer or winter or drunk or sober for that matter. I am also not sure how they can distinguish Russian non-accute causes of death as being caused by alcohol since most Russian alcies frickin smoke like chimnies, eat crap food and opiate abuse is so widespread. Sad really, but again . . . my comment was in jest!

"Heavy drinking in cold weather can cause life-threatening symptoms, a doctor in Kalasin warned yesterday."

Well, this warning should be just as effective as the programs to reduce traffic crashes, general alcohol abuse, smoking tobacco, domestic violence, consumption of sugar and other unhealthy foods, etc.

Most people have been warned about changing unhealthy/life threatening habits, but are: 1) too stupid to understand the consequences; 2) too weak to change; 3) just don't care.

However, reporting all the deaths due to irresponsible behaviors reinforces ones belief that Darwinism is still in full operation.

4) Understand the risks and choose to engage in it anyway.

Substantial alcohol consumption causes rapid body heat loss through constriction of surface blood vessels and if you're in subfreezing temperatures with inadequate clothing, you'll suffer low heart pressure with possible death. Even Alaskan natives, ie., Eskimoes, die from such effects. Given the moderate Thailand winter temperatures I don't see this typically happening.

The bus driver yesterday due to his clothing must have been freezing. We set off and his extremely cold hands nearly made us crash as unscrewing his whisky became very difficult.

I think Thailand really does have its priorities right ?

• Like 1