474 road accidents kill 86 in first 2 days of New Year holidays: Thailand

webfact

Road accidents kill 86 in first 2 days of holidays
Pongphon Sarnsamak,
Prasit Tangprasert
The Nation

30223238-01_big.gif
Rescue workers tend to people injured in a car accident in Phitsanulok yesterday. Six people were injured in the crash after a speeding pickup crossed a traffic island and hit this sedan head-on.

BANGKOK: -- Police say 474 road accidents killed 86 people and injured 885 between Friday and Saturday, the first two days of the so-called "seven dangerous days".

The road toll is expected to rise further over the coming days.

Yesterday, the Road Safety Centre released statistics from road accidents reported on Friday and Saturday only.

Drunk driving and speeding were the major causes of accidents during the opening days of the festive period, according to Department of Probation director-general Ruenvadee Suwanmong-kol, who chaired yesterday's press conference.

Reports say 37 per cent of road accidents resulted from drunk driving and 23 per cent from high-speed driving; while 81.5 per cent of road accidents involved motorcycles. Most of the motorcycle casualties were not wearing a helmet.

Main roads were the site of 61 per cent of the accidents and 34.6 per cent occurred on village roads. Highways saw 34.3 per cent of all accidents, most of which took place between 4pm and 8pm.

Some 611,600 cars and vehicles were inspected at police checkpoints and 100,587 cases resulted in arrests. Infractions included 31,020 drivers without a licence, and 28,092 motorcyclists without a helmet.

Nakhon Si Thammarat had the highest number of road accidents and number of injured people, with 23 and 25 respectively.

Ayutthaya had the highest number of deaths from road accidents, with five cases. Only four provinces recorded no road accidents during this period: Chaiyaphum, Bueng Kan, Rayong and Samut Songkhram.

Ruenvadee said the centre had ordered provincial authorities nationwide to help eliminate road accidents on main and secondary roads in the cities, especially near entertainment venues.

Police are urged to arrest those who drink and drive, drive at high speed, or ride motorcycles without a helmet.

The New Year holidays are associated with danger as millions of people hit the road on vacation or visits to home provinces.

Chutipong Sukarayotin, a player of the Thai national beach volleyball team, was driving to his home province of Udon Thani when he suddenly fell asleep behind the wheel in Nakhon Ratchasima yesterday morning.

His car slammed into a telephone booth.

"The crash woke me up," the 21-year-old man said.

He said he left Bangkok at about 5pm on Saturday but with the traffic jammed, the trip took so long he became tired and fell asleep.

"Fortunately, I had my safety belt on and my car had an air bag. So, I've survived," Chutipong said. "But I've learnt a lesson now.

"I’ll never drive the whole night again."

Police have charged Chutipong with reckless driving and causing damage to the property of others.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-30

• Like 1

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They showed a tourist bus approaching a corner on a busy road. Going too fast. It missed 2 guys on a motor bike by inches. Others were not as lucky.

It's the same ols shit every holiday. Stupid Thais who think they can drive ! In the UK we have a 2 week shutdown, but only the occasional accident. Here , like everything else, not only driving, the standards are so low. Not wearing a helmet doesn't kill you .....it's your own recklessness and the stupidity of other road users !

• Like 1

"DRUNK DRIVING AND SPEEDING ARE THE CAUSE" sorry, but they are not, they are the Effect of poor driver training and education,indiscipline,ignorance and lack of enforcement. This annual carnage is the direct result of poor governance and the glaring lack of adequate judicial administration and enforcement.

BANGKOK: -- Police say 474 road accidents killed 86 people and injured 885 between Friday and Saturday, the first two days of the so-called "seven dangerous days".

The road toll is expected to rise further over the coming days........."A TREMENDOUS ACHIEVEMENT!! Well done Thai keep up your good work"!

• Like 1

Is 86 the "real" figures for as I understand the reporting now they only count if you are dead at the scene , if you are still breathing when they close the ambulance doors and die on the way to hospital or in hospital that is not regarded as being killed in a road accident . At least it is one way of reducing the road carnage .

• Like 2

"The New Year holidays are associated with danger as millions of motorists hit the road on vacation or visits to the home province"

And when the carnage is over, they come out with their very precise "statistics", like 82.8563% of those killed were driving motorbikes!!

So people are taking their Honda Wave to go to Isaan??whistling.gif

I don,t understand the point of lying with serious statistics like these, unless they want to prove that Thai cardrivers are indeed very good drivers??w00t.gifw00t.gif

Not much we can do about it, except wait for the next "safety"campaign and following roadcarnage at Songkran!

Stay safe out there!!thumbsup.gif

It says 85% of the people die are M/cyclists, it doe's not say it was their fault entirely (but maybe) it looks by the stats that the fault lies with them, but could well be half die because of larger vehicles hitting them.

In Thailand it doesn't matter what you drive, most have the same mentality. So most die because of less protection.

• Like 1

Driving down from Chiangmai to Kanchanaburi on Saturday we passed 6 collisions. One looked very nasty at 6 a.m,(I would guess a fatal) a vios had smash into a concrete barrier virtually in the middle of the road at one of those police check points down near Tak. The check point wasn't operating and no lighting. This proved to me that these points are extremely dangerous and I hope the BIB are sued over this one.

The traffic heading north was bumper to bumper virtually all the way south of Nakon Sawon to Chiangmai

Edited by chooka

"The road toll is expected to rise further over the coming days."

Just like the sun is expected to rise over the coming days.

If that's not stating the obvious then I don't know what is.

...............but we,re not going to do anything about it other than print what we think we should do !

"Fortunately, I had my safety belt on and my car had an air bag. So, I've survived," Chutipong said.

And also fortunately you didn't kill any innocent bystanders when you decided to take a little nap..bozo!

Auwww Sowwy.........I don't tink about anyone else but me!!! me not hurt ....good huh!

• Like 2

Numbers from Thai Government are pure fiction as they only count road deaths during the 7 Dangerous Days if the person died at the scene. So, there are probably 3-5 times as many dead than are being reported. For accidents, many, many are not reported.

• Like 1

The roads are a metaphor for Thai society as a whole. No one follows the laws and the police don’t enforce them or take bribes to ignore them.

I'm not sure they routinely take brides to ignore the laws; other times I think they just ignore them...call it selective enforcement or freebies

"Fortunately, I had my safety belt on and my car had an air bag. So, I've survived," Chutipong said.

And also fortunately you didn't kill any innocent bystanders when you decided to take a little nap..bozo!

This alone proves that many motorcyclists are killed by asswipes such as Mr.Chutipong and the many brainless, often times drunk, drivers like him. So, just because the majority of the dead are motorcyclists, many, many of them were just innocent victims.

• Like 1