Thai interior minister rules out postponing Feb 2 election

webfact

Thai interior minister rules out postponing Feb 2 election
By English News

13883738959704.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 30 – Election officials who fail to perform their duty and resign amid disruptions of the poll registration process are liable to legal punishment, Caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan has warned.

He openly showed his frustration yesterday over the resignations of election officials in several southern provinces in light of protests and disruptions against the registration of constituency candidates nationwide between December 28 and January 1.

He urged election officials to work steadfastly and, if necessary, seek assistance from provincial governors, police, military personnel or public prosecutors to resolve the problems.

Mr Charupong said people disrupting the elections will be liable to legal punishment and those using force to assault others would be subject to a maximum two years’ imprisonment.

He rejected the Election Commission’s call to postpone the February 2 general election, insisting that the Constitution requires an election within 60 days after a House dissolution.

“The election can be delayed for only 6-7 days. What’s the use of doing that? If we want to postpone it further, which law shall we apply to do that?” he asked. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-30

No matter what happen or how many people die, the crab woman must come back to be PM. The big boss has place the order. As simple as this. People who are obstructing the crab woman return will be caught by big boss's police. And this is basically his message.

Disgusting!

• Like 1

Election officials who fail to perform their duty and resign amid disruptions of the poll registration process are liable to legal punishment, Caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan has warned.

So much for Democracy! Threaten those that run the elections. The caretaker thugs are in control.

Election officials who fail to perform their duty and resign amid disruptions of the poll registration process are liable to legal punishment, Caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan has warned.

So much for Democracy! Threaten those that run the elections. The caretaker thugs are in control.

Well I guess Khun Charupong and the "legal" system have busy days ahead of them.

Because according to the news (today 11:07) :

"The Trang Election Commitee has cancelled registration of constituency MP candidates as protesters surrounded the provincial application center"

Pheu Thai may have it's head firmly buried in the sand, but they know full well that elections can be delayed. There's precedent for it. And the EC - whose independent mandate it is to oversee elections - clearly thinks it's possible, as well ! In fact, have said so repeatedly. It is the Pheu Thai party that has clearly strong-armed the EC on this, as it is the Pheu Thai party that is clearly now strong-arming elected officials in the South that find their headquarters blocked. The only reason why the Pheu Thai party - for the first time in its history - is worried about the vote in the South, is that at present close to 10 % of parliament's constituencies are without registered candidates - and these are all in the South. Parliament needs at least 95 % to function. So now Pheu Thai is intensely interested in the South's right to vote. It's profoundly ironic. The EC has repeatedly said that these conditions are not conducive to a peaceful vote. And they really aren't. That is something that's obvious to everyone. So Pheu Thai are scrambling all over this. When all else fails, they just issue more threats. That will not solve the situation.

• Like 2

Well I guess Khun Charupong and the "legal" system have busy days ahead of them.

Because according to the news (today 11:07) :

"The Trang Election Commitee has cancelled registration of constituency MP candidates as protesters surrounded the provincial application center"

what legal system, PTP's?

Crazy!

Here, the Electoral Commission is indeed officially threatened!
incredible.

And that says a Caretaker Minister of Interior.
Graces and political ethics at the lowest level.

Is it not the prerogative of the election Commission as to whether or not the election is cancelled or delayed as opposed to a caretaker minister?

Now if this man ( I use the word man in a gender sense as opposed to a status sense) is so principled why doesn't he go to the election candidates office and stand in for those election officials he scorns and process the applications himself, By that action alone he will confirm his principles and also he can prove to us all what a wonderful man he is along with venting his pent up '' frustration.''wai2.gif

• Like 1

This is not a guy I would sit and have a beer with. He has that mean and hungry look.

I doubt he would be interested in sitting and having a beer with a foreigner who was not a significant investor in Thailand's economy nor a supporter of Thai social benefit programs. As a matter of practice, Thai's who have social position do not socialize with foreigners who are bereft of social status. Such are the ways of Asia.

I'm sure you can find one of the Suthep faring supporters to have a beer with. I bet if you have a spare Leo, you can have a beer with one of the moto taxi drivers on Silom.

Pheu Thai may have it's head firmly buried in the sand, but they know full well that elections can be delayed. There's precedent for it. And the EC - whose independent mandate it is to oversee elections - clearly thinks it's possible, as well ! In fact, have said so repeatedly. It is the Pheu Thai party that has clearly strong-armed the EC on this, as it is the Pheu Thai party that is clearly now strong-arming elected officials in the South that find their headquarters blocked. The only reason why the Pheu Thai party - for the first time in its history - is worried about the vote in the South, is that at present close to 10 % of parliament's constituencies are without registered candidates - and these are all in the South. Parliament needs at least 95 % to function. So now Pheu Thai is intensely interested in the South's right to vote. It's profoundly ironic. The EC has repeatedly said that these conditions are not conducive to a peaceful vote. And they really aren't. That is something that's obvious to everyone. So Pheu Thai are scrambling all over this. When all else fails, they just issue more threats. That will not solve the situation.

Well said

If I might I would like to add who in the hell does he think he is saying what the EC can and can not do? His head is to fat to put it where the sun don't shine.

• Like 1

Now he is saying if you don't like your job you can not quit. Does the PTP ego know no limits.sad.png

I think the main reason, why PTP wants the elections asap is, that the more time goes by, in which the farmers are not paid for their rice, the less likely the farmers are going to vote for PTP. So the later the more danger of failure for some of the politicians.

I know, many farmers have sold their receipt of the rice pledged to middle men and millers for only 7,000 instead of 15,000 Baht. But I think they are clever enough to not sell more than absolutely necessary. They still hold out the hope of getting the full 15K at a later point... for the rest they haven't sold to middle men.

It was looking so easy, when Taksin agreed to dissolve the parliament. And it was the right time to integrate the members of house 109 and 111 into the fold again.

The tough language of the ministers only shows the desperation of his clique...

Now he is saying if you don't like your job you can not quit. Does the PTP ego know no limits.sad.png

Nope - do as we say, how we say, when we say. You must not argue, question or refuse.

Democracy PTP style. Imagine the boss's plan. Get the goons re-elected, another 4 year "peoples' mandate", we're democratically elected again so we can really do what we want this time. Fire the judges they don't like, push the 2.2 trillion through, push the amnesty bill through when the times up and "hey presto" ! The boys are back in town, in power and in the money.

Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts !

They must believe they've neutered the military as part of this plan.

This is not a guy I would sit and have a beer with. He has that mean and hungry look.

I doubt he would be interested in sitting and having a beer with a foreigner who was not a significant investor in Thailand's economy nor a supporter of Thai social benefit programs. As a matter of practice, Thai's who have social position do not socialize with foreigners who are bereft of social status. Such are the ways of Asia.

I'm sure you can find one of the Suthep faring supporters to have a beer with. I bet if you have a spare Leo, you can have a beer with one of the moto taxi drivers on Silom.

I can assure you gk, that I'd rather have a Leo or a Chang with the lowliest farmer or motorcycle taxi driver than with the lickspittle likes of you who admire this type of Thaksin toady.

I am sure there are many foreigners on this board who would agree with me that your choice of admirable politician leaves a lot to be desired.

Enjoy the Udon red sunset. wai.gif

• Like 2

I think people are missing the point. The constitution say you must have an election in 60 days.

Do you suspend the constitution. Remember Suthep does not want an election, no matter

how long you suspend it for. He wants to be appointed supreme leader. This guy is right, whats

the point. Move forward the quicker the better, the army will step in or is won't. Suthep has laid

his cards on the table. He is all in , the democrats have elected not to contest the election and

Suthep will lead the marches. If the military steps in and puts Suthep in power creating a military backed

dictatorship we will see how long it takes for the Red shirts to respond to restore democracy in

Thailand. It might take years. One thing is for sure Suthep's last stint in power did not curb corruption one bit.

Zero, zilch , nada. He is as corrupt as Thaksin, just not as good at it. His campaigning slogans

sound great, but underneath that sizzle is a big turd.

I think people are missing the point. The constitution say you must have an election in 60 days.

Do you suspend the constitution. Remember Suthep does not want an election, no matter

how long you suspend it for. He wants to be appointed supreme leader. This guy is right, whats

the point. Move forward the quicker the better, the army will step in or is won't. Suthep has laid

his cards on the table. He is all in , the democrats have elected not to contest the election and

Suthep will lead the marches. If the military steps in and puts Suthep in power creating a military backed

dictatorship we will see how long it takes for the Red shirts to respond to restore democracy in

Thailand. It might take years. One thing is for sure Suthep's last stint in power did not curb corruption one bit.

Zero, zilch , nada. He is as corrupt as Thaksin, just not as good at it. His campaigning slogans

Suthep has insisted all along that he isn't interested in being a leader.

What a great Suthep bash which is the usual load of crap.

For a start the EC has said there are ways the election can be postponed, I quote once again :

Election postponement possible if parties agree: EC

BANGKOK: -- Election Commission member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said on Tuesday that the EC is ready to postpone the election from February 2 if political parties reach an agreement to delay it and if it is permitted under the law.

Reasons to postpone

_ A poll can be delayed by 30 days via royal decree if there is civil unrest, floods, fire or other eventualities (according to Article 78 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ If the ballot papers are damaged or lost (according to Article 85 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ If only one candidate is elected in a constituency and receives less than 20 per cent of the total vote (according to Article 88 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ A constituency has no MP candidates;

_ The number of MPs is less than 95 per cent of 500 - the compulsory figure that is needed for the House of Representatives to convene (according to Article 93 of the Constitution).

As some appointed Senators suggested that the Feb 2 election could be postponed under Article 187 of the Constitution, Ms Yingluck said this is a new issue which should be thoroughly studied and the forum could help find the best solution to the current political quagmire.

Election delay possible

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission's new team says it could delay the general election from the scheduled date of February 2

Next point. The international corruption index (look for it yourself) showed that in spite of them having to take on the corrupt parasite parties in order to form a Govt corruption dropped while the Dems were in office and rose again to its present high when PT took over.

Please post proof that Suthep is as corrupt as Thaksin (convicted of corruption) and his 3 proxy parties who have had 220 members banned from politics for 5 years for election fraud (corruption)