Phuket officers take down taxi drivers for intimidation

Lite Beer

^

And there are dozens of other resorts where the taxi mafia act the same. All through Kata and Karon they have hand painted the word "taxi tuk tuk" on the ground on several parking spaces. If someone parks there, they get told to move under no uncertain terms.

• Like 1

There has been so much talk and so little action from the DSI that was suppose to tackle this issue, that most of us thought that an actual sting operation and arrest would never happen. In this case the DSI wasn't even involved it seems. Let us hope this is the first of many of these undercover operations to clean up these much despised taxi "mafia" or taxi cartels, whatever you want to call them. At least two of these scumbags are off the street for a short time.

The headline is a little deceiving as usual per English media. Arresting 2 thuggy drivers and calling it a "Take Down" of intimidating taxi drives is a stretch at best. That would be like saying there is another famous "Crackdown" of ladyboys and 2 old, ugly, beaters are paraded for the media. What about the other 1,000 that are lurking around and ripping everyone off? Why doesn't any ask what they plan to do about the other taxi queues? Why don't all the hotel owners get together and make a statement for the media about how the taxi mafia is bad for business? And then do it again every week until it's fixed! Everyone knows you can't expect the local police to do much, but if it keeps going to the media every week, they will be shamed into action. Post Youtube videos of them lurking outside. Have their tough guy antics on video and post it for everyone to see.

If everyone posted videos to YouTube of taxi mafia, tuk tuk mafia, or police corruption and then the media actually did their job and confronted local officals, this would stop sooner rather than later. The golden age of social media is upon us. Everyone just needs to use it effectively.We should have a YouTube channel titled "People Against Phuket Corruption" and upload as soon as they take a video. Thais have no problem what so ever posting pictures of dead and mangled farangs on their personal Facebook pages for everyone to see.

I am dying to see what happens after the 1st and the tuk tuks on beach road. This is gonna be a riot to watch.

• Like 2

The headline is a little deceiving as usual per English media. Arresting 2 thuggy drivers and calling it a "Take Down" of intimidating taxi drives is a stretch at best. That would be like saying there is another famous "Crackdown" of ladyboys and 2 old, ugly, beaters are paraded for the media. What about the other 1,000 that are lurking around and ripping everyone off? Why doesn't any ask what they plan to do about the other taxi queues? Why don't all the hotel owners get together and make a statement for the media about how the taxi mafia is bad for business? And then do it again every week until it's fixed! Everyone knows you can't expect the local police to do much, but if it keeps going to the media every week, they will be shamed into action. Post Youtube videos of them lurking outside. Have their tough guy antics on video and post it for everyone to see.

If everyone posted videos to YouTube of taxi mafia, tuk tuk mafia, or police corruption and then the media actually did their job and confronted local officals, this would stop sooner rather than later. The golden age of social media is upon us. Everyone just needs to use it effectively.We should have a YouTube channel titled "People Against Phuket Corruption" and upload as soon as they take a video. Thais have no problem what so ever posting pictures of dead and mangled farangs on their personal Facebook pages for everyone to see.

I am dying to see what happens after the 1st and the tuk tuks on beach road. This is gonna be a riot to watch.

There are many You Tube clips, and even websites, about the "issues" on Phuket. It's already out there for the world to see. The honorary consul's mention it every year, along with the jet skis, and other issues. Nothing changes.

The Thai officials answer to this bad publicity that is having a big effect on the traditional western tourist numbers here is to fill the void with cheap package holiday makers from emerging economies.

They don't care who these guys rip off - as long as there are still people coming here to be ripped off, and the corrupt payments keep flowing. smile.pngsmile.png

However, these package holiday makers have coach buses organised for their transportation, so, that leaves these guys hanging around out the front of hotels and resorts feeling the pinch somewhat, and becoming more and more ruthless for their next baht.

I expect this to get worse in the future, or prices to rise, yet again, to make up for the lost revenue.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

The men were charged with section 309 of the Criminal Code, which carries a penalty of up to three years imprisonment, a 60,000 baht fine or both.

Interesting that if you bash a farang, it is a slap on the wrist and a 500 baht fine!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

The men were charged with section 309 of the Criminal Code, which carries a penalty of up to three years imprisonment, a 60,000 baht fine or both.

Interesting that if you bash a farang, it is a slap on the wrist and a 500 baht fine!coffee1.gif

Or use a knife.

Strange.

I guess the difference is that they threatened a BIB rather than paying one.

• Like 1

Well done - let's hope this continues.

Yes; I second that. The Thai police are by no means all corrupt, my brother-in-law is a hard working station commander who really puts the hours in and hardly sees his family.

That a good thing and your brother in law should be commended for his great wprking attitude.

As he is the station commander does that also mean that none of the officers under his command are corrupt? That would be fantastic great news!

• Like 1

Well done - let's hope this continues.

Yes; I second that. The Thai police are by no means all corrupt, my brother-in-law is a hard working station commander who really puts the hours in and hardly sees his family.

That a good thing and your brother in law should be commended for his great wprking attitude.

As he is the station commander does that also mean that none of the officers under his command are corrupt? That would be fantastic great news!

Of course they wont be corrupt.....even when they are alone with possibilities to put money in their pocket they will think : Oh no that i have a commander that really works hard .

Edited by Wavnarok

You won't see me in Phuket. I used to go 3 times a year.. too many problems. Not been for 5years now. Long long way to go to sort things.

Same as myself, except it's been four years since we visited Phuket, having been regular visitors for many years.

Andre asks what are the problems which seems a rather naive question at best but you can start with the prices, the attitude and the lack of usable public transport. Not everyone, including my wife and I, want to ride a motorbike.

Vietnam is now our holiday destination of choice with the added benefit of being one hour less flying time than to Phuket.

• Like 2

Phuket and its naughty taxi drivers - the story that never stops giving. There's a new yet old angle every week. I am from the North West of England. There must be more taxis throughout the region than in the province of Phuket. Yet I don't recall seeing any stories on taxis and their drivers or the licencing or registration system. Maybe they just haven't figured out how to get themselves in the news like the Phuket drivers, masters of PR that they are.

Phuket and its naughty taxi drivers - the story that never stops giving. There's a new yet old angle every week. I am from the North West of England. There must be more taxis throughout the region than in the province of Phuket. Yet I don't recall seeing any stories on taxis and their drivers or the licencing or registration system. Maybe they just haven't figured out how to get themselves in the news like the Phuket drivers, masters of PR that they are.

"Phuket and its naughty taxi drivers - the story that never stops giving." - they certainly are "giving" many of Phuket's tourists to other holiday destinations in the region. :) :)

• Like 1