Thaksin Believes Trt Will Rule For 20 Years

george

Thaksin remains confident that TRT will rule for 20 years

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra remains confident that his Thai Rak Thai Party will remain in power for at least 20 years and that its policies will make it even more popular than it is now.

"We win because of our policies make people's lives better," Thaksin told the party's annual meeting yesterday.

"Don't think that we will back down because problems have arisen. We are working to solve them and to develop the country," he added.

Thaksin said his government was going to help millions of people get out of debt. About 4.8 million people listed debt as their main problem when they registered for the government's poverty-eradication programme.

"The first step is that we will negotiate with moneylenders to reduce the debts, then we will transfer all those debts to financial institutions that will impose low-interest-rate charges and have repayment schedules that people can handle.

"By then people should have no need to return to loan sharks," Thaksin added.

He also promised to provide land and housing for everyone. He admitted the tasks are difficult and will take time.

"They are our policies and we will implement them," he said.

Thaksin said his government would never rest until the country wins the war on drugs, poverty and corruption. "In the next five years, lives will be much better here," he said.

Playing down the defeat of his party's candidate in a recent by-election in Songkhla, he said the Democrat Party's victory did not signal it would triumph in the next general election.

"The South has long been the Democrat Party's stronghold but it's no problem. I believe our performance will one day change southern residents' choice of party," he said.

Thaksin said the government will open a hotline number 1111 for people to air their grievances from April 1 onward.

"We would like to know about people's problems so that we can help," he said.

--The Nation 2004-03-01

Thaksin remains confident that TRT will rule for 20 years

BANGKOK: Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra remains confident that his Thai Rak Thai Party will remain in power for at least 20 years and that its policies will make it even more popular than it is now.

"We win because of our policies make people's lives better," Thaksin told the party's annual meeting yesterday.

"Don't think that we will back down because problems have arisen. We are working to solve them and to develop the country," he added.

Thaksin said his government was going to help millions of people get out of debt. About 4.8 million people listed debt as their main problem when they registered for the government's poverty-eradication programme.

"The first step is that we will negotiate with moneylenders to reduce the debts, then we will transfer all those debts to financial institutions that will impose low-interest-rate charges and have repayment schedules that people can handle.

"By then people should have no need to return to loan sharks," Thaksin added.

He also promised to provide land and housing for everyone. He admitted the tasks are difficult and will take time.

"They are our policies and we will implement them," he said.

Thaksin said his government would never rest until the country wins the war on drugs, poverty and corruption. "In the next five years, lives will be much better here," he said.

Playing down the defeat of his party's candidate in a recent by-election in Songkhla, he said the Democrat Party's victory did not signal it would triumph in the next general election.

"The South has long been the Democrat Party's stronghold but it's no problem. I believe our performance will one day change southern residents' choice of party," he said.

Thaksin said the government will open a hotline number 1111 for people to air their grievances from April 1 onward.

"We would like to know about people's problems so that we can help," he said.

--The Nation 2004-03-01

20 years ... he's dreaming. No way in the world will TRT still hold office in 20 years. And it is interesting to note that the hotline opens on April Fools Day :o

--The Nation 2004-03-01

20 years ... he's dreaming. No way in the world will TRT still hold office in 20 years. And it is interesting to note that the hotline opens on April Fools Day :o

I hope you're right Doctor. What do you think will happen that TRT (TYT) loses power? They seem to have all the momentum or should I say money, on their side.

[/They seem to have all the momentum or should I say money, on their side]

Not only do they have the money, they also now have the police and military. you think this guy is going to give up his job as ceo of his country just because a few voters tell him its time to go? he'll take a cue from his buddies over in burma. THEY have been in power 20 years and know how to do it.

• 1 month later...

--The Nation 2004-03-01

I hope you're right Doctor. What do you think will happen that TRT (TYT) loses power? They seem to have all the momentum or should I say money, on their side.

He'll get back in in the 2005 elections CMT and then he'll gradually slide into oblivion. As he drowns in his own mess, he'll bail out to absorb himself in the world of commerce again.

--The Nation 2004-03-01

The Democrats are slowly getting organized and they'll ultimately take over again

hi'

some can dream crasy dreams ...

some come true, some don't.

I hope this one won't come out to be true :o

but, if this crasy dream comes out as a nightmare, as most of us see it, it will be just enough for this supreme leader to make Thailand sick and sad and him and his relatives rich enough for generations ....

I don't like the man and most of his "ideas" .... :D

francois

Not a chance of 20 years. Unless the country ends up in dictatorship. :o

I agree with Dr PP. TRT will probably win next year due to the control they have in so many places. After that I expect he will begin a rapid slide in popularity & probably go out with a wimper.

The real question is how much damage he will do in that time and will the opposition have time to begin the massive task of repairing the damage before another term ends ?

I saw an article on the BKK Post yesterday that discussed the Buddhist Church's disagreement with Taksin about an "unused property" bill. As the Wats have a lot of unused and possibly untitled land, they would be very much effected by this bill. When the Gov't tried to assure the Monks that their property would be exempted from the law, they basically said that they did not trust the PM or his party and were urging people to vote against TRT!

• 2 years later...

Oh and note the word Rule and not govern, even then he had visions on his mind. Is not the word Rule More or less reserved for someone a bit higher up than PM? It is the little subtle choices of words that give things away.

Oh and note the word Rule and not govern, even then he had visions on his mind. Is not the word Rule More or less reserved for someone a bit higher up than PM? It is the little subtle choices of words that give things away.

I think you are reading too much into this. It is the headline in The Nation, the first paragraph then states: "Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra remains confident that his Thai Rak Thai Party will remain in power for at least 20 years and that its policies will make it even more popular than it is now." Newspapers choose how to present the material.

This is aside from the fact that the speech would have been given in Thai so Thaksin wouldn't have been making a linguistic distinction so wouldn't have even said the English word "rule".

Thank you John for showing us how the Nation subtly inserts its anti-Toxin bias into our minds. You are absolutely correct in saying "It is the little subtle choices of words that give things away."

Edited by chownah

Chownah, what's wrong with their choice of words.

"TRT will rule" in the headline and "TRT will remain in power" are just two ways of saying the same thing. There's a difference between "rule" and "govern" but you can't say in English "TRT will govern for 20 years", it doesn't sound right.

What other, politically correct, choice of words do you have in mind?

Chownah, what's wrong with their choice of words.

"TRT will rule" in the headline and "TRT will remain in power" are just two ways of saying the same thing. There's a difference between "rule" and "govern" but you can't say in English "TRT will govern for 20 years", it doesn't sound right.

What other, politically correct, choice of words do you have in mind?

I think you should direct this comment to John K.....he was the one bringing up the topic of "the little subtle choices of words".....did you read his post before replying to mine?...the one I was replying to?

Chownah, JK was talking about Thaksin's choice of wrods (even then he had visions on his mind...), you directed it at The Nation and accused them of bias.

Some posters often do that but never give any examples.

Chownah, JK was talking about Thaksin's choice of wrods (even then he had visions on his mind...), you directed it at The Nation and accused them of bias.

Some posters often do that but never give any examples.

Chownah is correct plus here is the example from the first post in this thread is titled by The Nation 2004-03-01....

"Thaksin remains confident that TRT will rule for 20 years "

Which are not Thaksin's words but the headlines of the Nation, not that the nation would ever be biased against him.

The first line of the article in The Nation 2004-03-01 is ....

"BANGKOK: Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra remains confident that his Thai Rak Thai Party will remain in power for at least 20 years and that its policies will make it even more popular than it is now."

This is an editorial comment not a quote from the PM's.

The first quote of the PM was....

"We win because of our policies make people's lives better," Thaksin told the party's annual meeting yesterday. "Don't think that we will back down because problems have arisen. We are working to solve them and to develop the country," he added

In the entire article he was never quoted as saying "TRT will rule for 20 years" or "Thai Rak Thai Party will remain in power for at least 20 years" that part was totally fictional by the totally unbiased Nation to sell papers.