Sweden's Crown Princess Victoria injured in ski accident in Italy

News_Editor

GENEVA, SWITZERLAND (BNO NEWS) -- Swedish Crown Princess Victoria was slightly injured Monday and airlifted to a hospital in Switzerland after falling in a skiing accident in northwest Italy, the royal palace confirmed, adding that she was feeling well after being released.

The accident happened on Monday morning when the 36-year-old princess fell while skiing with her husband and other members of the royal family in the alpine resort of Breuil-Cervinia in northwest Italy. She was first airlifted to the nearby city of Aosta before being taken to a hospital in Geneva, Switzerland.

"The crown princess suffered a sprain in the foot but is feeling otherwise well," the royal palace said in a brief statement, with a spokeswoman adding that the injury is not expected to affect Victoria's public commitments. The crown princess was released from hospital later on Monday afternoon but it was not immediately clear whether she would go home or return to the resort.

Sweden is a constitutional monarchy in which the royals carry out a largely ceremonial and representative role. King Carl XVI Gustaf has served as the country's head of state since September 1973, and his eldest child, 36-year-old Crown Princess Victoria, is due to succeed him.

(Copyright 2013 by BNO News B.V. All rights reserved. Info: [email protected].)

Swedish Crown Princess Victoria was slightly injured

And in other late-breaking news, a number of totally unimportant people have reported that they stubbed their toes in the past 24 hours, but have elected not to seek emergency treatment.

How did you know that about me? xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.ttYYb5Lbfu.webp

There's nothing like an expensive pedicure and then having your foot all messed up. Unless you didn't have a pedicure and the doctors are all laughing at those ugly nails.

I am glad she is was not seriously injured.

And in other late-breaking news, a number of totally unimportant people have reported that they stubbed their toes in the past 24 hours, but have elected not to seek emergency treatment.

Really, I hadn't heard Charles and William had both stubbed their toes.

I can not believe the EU does not outlaw skiing. This skiing is very dangerous and their is no need for it

I can not believe the EU does not outlaw skiing. This skiing is very dangerous and their is no need for it

Lets go the whole hog and ban motor bikes too...

Michael Schumacher in a coma after a ski accident is news. A bloody sprain in the foot isn't, I'm sorry. How in hell is this piece 'news'?

I am sure there must be many Swedes thinking who the hell is Michael Schomacher...