How much would be typical utility costs for living in a 75 sqm condo?

In Manila I use one air conditioner for about 12 hours a day and don't use much else that might consume much electricity. In US dollars my electric bill is around US $300. I pay US $50 for internet which is very slow and US $50 for TV including 5 High Definition channels a month. My water bill is around US $25 a month.

Can someone give me some ideas as to how much these things might cost in Thailand ? Also is there any difference in costs between Bangko and Pattaya?

I heard they are going to increase the price of electricity here in the Philippines and the costs are out of control.

Electric bill here will depend on old or new air-con. A 75 sqm condo unit here should be a 1-bedroom unit, meaning separate wall and door to the bedroom and bathroom, while the rest is the living area and the kitchenette. Such a unit will have 2 air-con units.

A combination of the two air-con to a total of 12 hours a day should give you an electricity bill of about USD60-80.

Internet to speed of 10 Mbps - USD20

Cable TV - USD50

Water - USD10, more showers than baths

Edited by trogers

I rent a 80 m2 condo during the summer months and use the ac about 14 hours a day. The unit has separate bedroom and sitting room controls and only run one at a time depending on where I am. Cost per month is about 3,000 baht ($100) at government prices which is approximately 4 bath/unit. Note is you rent the price you pay may be more than the government rate and cost would go up accordingly. Water is charged by the condo association and I pay about 250-300 baht/month which is $10.

17th floor, on the beach, two a/c, two bed, two bath, washing machine, electric bill is $50, water bill is $12, TOT wifi 6mb is $18 (fast enough for YouTube and a family of four), True cable "knowledge package" is $18 a month. I get a bunch of HD channels. Channel 156 HD is golf. Channel 157 HD is sports. NFL, NCAA, NHL, etc. Commercial free. Tons of sports....... Good luck!

In Chiang Mai:

Our water bill has averaged 160 ($4.70) baht a month over the past two years, our electricity bill 1,000 ($29.40) baht per month (from actual bills). True Vision satellite TV costs 2,430 ($71.50) baht a month.

The above is two people living in a 100 sq metre condo running large screen TV, PC, usual kitchen appliances, two loads of laundry per week and two showers per day each - aircon is used occasionally during April/May but we run two floor fans almost continually the rest of the time except during winter months.

I can't comment on cost differences between Pattaya and Bangkok, my guess is that costs are very similar.

Edited by chiang mai

In Manila I use one air conditioner for about 12 hours a day and don't use much else that might consume much electricity. In US dollars my electric bill is around US $300.

there's obviously something totally wrong with the information you submitted. just talked to a friend who lives in Manila paying 5.96 pesos for 1kWh. assuming the consumption share of your single airconditioner is USD 200 ($100 cost for fridge, TV, lighting, computer, etc.) you are using 2,686kWh per month to cool a 75m² apartment = ~90kWh/day = 7.5kWh/hour.

compare your 2,686kWh with the 1,900kWh electricity per month i use to cool a house of ~600m² living area @26.5ºC / 24 hours a day.

In Pattaya for a condo of similar size my electric bill is about 150USD(4500B)/month. I have the (old) aircon on most of the time but not at a very cold setting. That sum also powers a PC on 24/7, big TV, fridge, hot water, two ceiling fans, washing machine, electric oven etc etc

The actual charge is just over 4B per unit.

Fairly fast cable internet is about 20USD(600B)/month.

Water is about 3USD(100B)/month.

I dont have pay TV apart from local cable at 100USD(3000B)/year.

there's obviously something totally wrong with the information you submitted. just talked to a friend who lives in Manila paying 5.96 pesos for 1kWh. assuming the consumption share of your single airconditioner is USD 200 ($100 cost for fridge, TV, lighting, computer, etc.) you are using 2,686kWh per month to cool a 75m² apartment = ~90kWh/day = 7.5kWh/hour.

compare your 2,686kWh with the 1,900kWh electricity per month i use to cool a house of ~600m² living area @26.5ºC / 24 hours a day.

We cant be certain that the OP's information is wrong. He doesnt specify but maybe his building charges him more than the official 5.96P per unit. I know people here who pay 10B per unit which is more than double the 4+B you and I pay.

The age of the air-con unit also has a big part to play, as does the efficiency of other devices, and also the exposure to the sun and wall/floor/ceiling insulation. For example, you use 1900Wh in your 600sqm place but I use around 1000kWh for a place not much more than 10% of the size, cooling to a similar temperature.

I will be changing my aircon unit soon and I expect there to be a considerable reduction in electricity consumption as a result as I know that other people in my building have noticed significant decreases in consumption when fitting new aircon units.

My last (small) flat In Pattaya cost 5000b for Utilities for about 6 weeks.

This included Electricity, Internet, and probably cable TV (but I don't watch TV so I'm not sure).

I did run the AC for long periods each day. There's possibly a fee for water as well.

I thought this was a bit steep, but the landlady showed me the receipts, and I'm sure that she is honest.

Note that some agents/landlords will charge a percentage on top of the utility fee.

Edited by jackflash

Trogers and KittenKong--

May I ask which Internet server you use and are you happy with reliability?

I am paying a company called "IT" (based in Naklua) 890b a month for

intermittant service and nowhere near 10 mbps.

Thanks

TO: Retiredat50--

My monthly bills for 65 sq meter, one-bedroom are about the same as most quoted here--about

US $10 for water; $30 elec.

Edited by PaulDee

I have a 65 s/m studio condo in Bangkok, more like a loft actually with 11' ceilings. My sleeping area is curtained off with heavy ceiling to floor drapes which contains the AC at night.

I pay the B4/unit govt. electric rate. I average B3200 p/m ($106) over a year: higher in hot season, lower cool season.

10 mb (local download) internet B600 ($18), Cable TV, TrueGold; B1800 ($55) Water: B150 ($4.50)

Many apartments provide cable TV and Internet; some charge extra for it, some don't. Those that have these services will generally not allow you to install service from another provider.

As others have pointed out; if you rent an apartment, you will likely pay a marked up electrical rate, anywhere from B5-B10/unit which dramatically affects the total. If possible you would be better off renting a Condo that has the owners govt. rate locked in.

Edited by dddave

I must be some kind of cheap Charlie. My condo is smaller only 38sqm and run an air con as much as I want, 18 hours

a day in the summer and 8 hours a day now even though its cool and my electric is 40 dollars in the summer and less than

30 now. I shower 3-5 times a day in the summer and twice a day now and my water bill is 4-8 dollars a month including

the meter rental charge. Internet is included in the rent. My True Vision TV package is 50 dollars a month. More than enough

sports and quite a few HD channels. (Gold Package)

My 80 sq meter condo has two AC units (one old, one really old), two refrigerators (one 7 and one 9 cu ft), one washing machine, two large screen TVs, two small screen TVs, two laptops, four celing fans and 4 floor fans, etc..

We use the AC units 0-8 hours a day, 1-2 ceiling and two floor fans are on most of the time, the TVs are on most of the time (alternate between the small kitchen table one to one of the large screens) and washing machine is used regularly. Our electric bill is 1300-2400 baht a month (gov rate) with variance from AC usage depending on the time of year (currently cool). We are on the eastern side of the condo complex so we do not get the hot afternoon sun whereas condo units half the size of ours with the western exposure seem to have higher electric bills and without washing machines or large screen TVs.

Our water bill is about 220 baht a month using the washing machine for two people and we each shower a minimum of 2-3 times a day (gym, nights out, etc...).

We have two internet service providers - 3BB and Sophon cable internet - for about 630 (590 plus tax) and 750 baht a month each, respectively. One service is very consistent and dependable and the other is very fast, but after multiple downloads will hit my maximum allowed before I have to reset.

TV Cable service (Sophon) is included in our condo common fees which total 1000 baht a month for the two units.

We don't have a western style electic kitchen, but my Thai wife uses hot plates, hot water makers, microwave, toaster, juicer and an electric wok.

Summary:

Electric: 1300-2400 baht

Water: 220 baht

ISP: 1380 baht

Condo Fees: 1000

Sub-total: 3,900-5,000 baht a month

In Chiang Mai:

Our water bill has averaged 160 ($4.70) baht a month over the past two years, our electricity bill 1,000 ($29.40) baht per month (from actual bills). True Vision satellite TV costs 2,430 ($71.50) baht a month.

The above is two people living in a 100 sq metre condo running large screen TV, PC, usual kitchen appliances, two loads of laundry per week and two showers per day each - aircon is used occasionally during April/May but we run two floor fans almost continually the rest of the time except during winter months.

I can't comment on cost differences between Pattaya and Bangkok, my guess is that costs are very similar.

True Visions continue to charge high prices. There are other providers!

I must be some kind of cheap Charlie. My condo is smaller only 38sqm and run an air con as much as I want, 18 hours

a day in the summer and 8 hours a day now even though its cool and my electric is 40 dollars in the summer and less than

30 now. I shower 3-5 times a day in the summer and twice a day now and my water bill is 4-8 dollars a month including

the meter rental charge. Internet is included in the rent. My True Vision TV package is 50 dollars a month. More than enough

sports and quite a few HD channels. (Gold Package)

you are either a troll or your friend the Tooth Fairy keeps her thumb on your electric meter to slow it down dry.png

We cant be certain that the OP's information is wrong. He doesnt specify but maybe his building charges him more than the official 5.96P per unit. I know people here who pay 10B per unit which is more than double the 4+B you and I pay.

The age of the air-con unit also has a big part to play, as does the efficiency of other devices, and also the exposure to the sun and wall/floor/ceiling insulation. For example, you use 1900Wh in your 600sqm place but I use around 1000kWh for a place not much more than 10% of the size, cooling to a similar temperature.

I will be changing my aircon unit soon and I expect there to be a considerable reduction in electricity consumption as a result as I know that other people in my building have noticed significant decreases in consumption when fitting new aircon units.

are you using 1,000kWh just for airconditioning or is that your total consumption?

Electric bill here will depend on old or new air-con. A 75 sqm condo unit here should be a 1-bedroom unit, meaning separate wall and door to the bedroom and bathroom, while the rest is the living area and the kitchenette. Such a unit will have 2 air-con units.

A combination of the two air-con to a total of 12 hours a day should give you an electricity bill of about USD60-80.

Cable TV - USD50

It is not only Americans who read Thaivisa.

Three bedroom, three bathroom house. No pool. Pattaya/Jomtien.

Electric circa 5,000B in the hot season running an average of 1 1/2 A/C units 24/7. Paid 3,500B last bin and expect it to be around 2,500B this month as it's been very cool and the A/C's are not being used.

Water is about 500-600B per month.

True Visions is about 1,500B and 10MB internet from Sophon is about 600B (can't remember exactly as I always pay for 3 months to save the hassle and I can't find the bin).

In Manila I use one air conditioner for about 12 hours a day and don't use much else that might consume much electricity. In US dollars my electric bill is around US $300.

My November 2013 Meralco bill shows Current Amount of 11,929.85 pesos / 1017 kWh = 11.73 pesos for 1kWh. Basic charge is 5.17 pesos but after that are 22 lines of other charges for taxes, generation (44%) of cost and others. This was not a typical month for me and it's not the hot season yet so the charges are lower than in summer.

1,900kWh you use to cool the house is great and that's a big reason why I would like to move to Thailand. I live in a condo using an inside unit central air conditioning system. Typical electric costs for myself and neighbours ranges from $300-$500 a month. I'm sure for others it's substantially more but those residents having 300m square units don't talk to foreigner like me :-)

Edited by retiredat50

are you using 1,000kWh just for airconditioning or is that your total consumption?

Total consumption. I have no way of separating out the individual costs apart from guesswork, but I suspect that the aircon uses significantly more than half.

Can I assume from your question that the sum you were quoting for your usage was only for aircon?

Our electric bill is 1300-2400 baht a month (gov rate) with variance from AC usage depending on the time of year (currently cool). We are on the eastern side of the condo complex so we do not get the hot afternoon sun whereas condo units half the size of ours with the western exposure seem to have higher electric bills and without washing machines or large screen TVs.

Yes, this does indeed have a very big impact. The downside of my nice view and bright unit is that the front of my unit is in full sun all day long and it certainly increases the aircon usage. The other side of my building is almost permanently in the shade and is correspondingly cooler.

The PI is "over the top" when it comes to electric rates, but at least the service is wholly unreliable. I lived there a few years and base my post on that experience. The internet fell in the same general ranking both in terms of cost and reliability.

Water is inexpensive in Thailand.

I do like the people who live in the PI.

1,900kWh you use to cool the house is great and that's a big reason why I would like to move to Thailand. I live in a condo using an inside unit central air conditioning system. Typical electric costs for myself and neighbours ranges from $300-$500 a month.

I wonder what do you mean by "inside unit central air conditioning system"? In condos here (at least the ones under 100sqm) one rarely sees anything other than individual split-unit systems with one indoor/outdoor pair per room. Maybe your system is particularly uneconomical or very old?

Having spent a lot of time in Manila over the last 40 years I always found that whilst I can live quite happily there with just a fan much of the time there are barely a few weeks in the year here (Pattaya) when I can stand having the aircon off. It always seems to be significantly warmer and more humid here than there. I think it may be due to the water in the sea being cooler there.

I rent a condo (1 bedroom) 60sqm at Sukhumvit Rd. Soi 81.

The living room is quite cool and we only turn on the aircon if we have guests. The aircon in the bedroom is only on for 30-60 minutes per day.

Electricity is relatively high as we have 2 big screen TVs with peripherals and 2 computers almost running 16-20 hours a day. Water expenses are for two rooms (washing machine, shower etc).

My expenses on top of the 17,000 baht rent are:

- Water 150 baht

- Electricity 1,450 baht

- Cable TV 299 baht (only for GF's soap operas)

Cable TV - USD50

I am not an American either. But USD is the international currency when comparing costs in two Asean countries. Try using USD1 to Bt30 so as not to tax your mind.

Cable TV - USD50

I am not an American either. But USD is the international currency when comparing costs in two Asean countries. Try using USD1 to Bt30 so as not to tax your mind.

I am not interested in the Dollar rate to the Thai Baht. It's the UK rate I'm interested in. sorry if I'm taxing your mind.