Emirates One Way Ticket Problems With Valid Visa

I am British. In 30 years and 200+ arrivals without a visa I have been refused entry only once, but that was not due to not having an onward/return ticket, it was due to too many days in Thailand in one year on a visa exempt entries. They still let me in after I explained they had counted the days wrongly, and mentioned that I my friend was the former head of Thai Immigration.

Once Qatar Airways at LHR tried to stop me boarding due to no return ticket, but I just called for the Manager and he let me board. Refusal may be due to overbooking on a flight and they are looking for an excuse to bump some passengers off the flight. Also they may be profiling.

If you put an Emirates return flight number on your departure card, this seems to please some of the immigration officers in the absence of a return or onward ticket. You can change the flight number on your departure ticket when you finally depart.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 2

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was questioned about this at Thai embassy in Chicago,, when I was moving here,, 3 years ago,,, I simply told them, I was moving there, and was applying for a retirement visa, once my tourist visa's expired,,, (which I did),,, try that,, or that you are going to teach English,, and getting a work permit while here,,,

All you need to do is make a reservation for a return ticket within the 3 months of your visa before you head for Thailand. You don't have to buy it, just have the reservation. You can even buy a cheap one way ticket to Singapore that you don't intend to use.

I work offshore and Im in and out of Thailand many times a year, and I get the same problem at some airports, mainly UK and US. This is because my company book my return flights to work when Im here.

The airlines do this because if someone is rejected at immigration the airline is fined $10,000 and they have to fly you back at their expense.

22 million tourists, many without a return ticket cos they will be going to other countries, by air, land or even sea. People travel around for months, gap years etc, in and out of Thailand and other countries not knowing their return date.

Why are you so worried?.......you'll be stressed to the gills by the time you get here.

10000+ posts and you know so much...

:-)

I thought that the Emirates answer was correct.I always know that u have a Non O visa(for example)for a one way ticket...and thinking that with a muti entry tourist visa you can be refused on board.

Not correct. Up till recently on the travel forum I contribute to, the stock answer when posters complained about not being able to board with a one way flight and no visa was to get a visa. I don't know why it has changed, but there are now a lot of posts saying they are not able to get a visa without a return ticket. This is obviously stupid, as many tourists want to overland to neigbouring countries.

What if I bought a ticket to say Malaysia exiting Thailand after my first 60 day entry period was over.

Would that help things?

I could kill two birds with one stone and do my border run.

Entirely up to you.

The extra ticket is not required in order for you to fly to Thailand.

The onward or return ticket may not be required by Thai rules but the fact is that it's up to the airline who they accept on board , if that particular airline says you need an onward ticket it's up them regardless of Thai rules

See the above posts.

The rule would be either a return or onward ticket. It should be possible to get over this problem by booking a cheap Air Asia flight to a neighbouring country and showing Emirates this. I think Emirates is trying to get extra cash from you by forcing you to buy a return ticket. They may be correct to interpret the rules this way, but the rule is never enforced in Thailand.

This is direct from the Thai Embassy Web Site in Canberra:

Australian passport holders (and nationals from 50 designated countries) may travel to Thailand for the purpose of tourism without a visa. They will be permitted to stay for a period not exceed 30 days on each visit provided they arrive by air and have a confirmed ticket out of Thailand (by air, land, or sea) within 30 days. But those entering by land at the immigration checkpoints from neighboring countries, will be allowed to stay for 15 days on each entry.

This is for a "visa on arrival", and you DO need a confirmed ticket out of Thailand. The fact that Immigration may not normally ask to see your confirmed ticket out of Thailand, they can and if you don't have one you can be refused entry.

The airline (who may be fined or have to fly you back out of Thailand) has every right to check that you have a confirmed ticket out. When you check in they review your reservation, and if you have a return ticket with them they will say nothing. If you don't they can demand to see your confirmed ticket out with another airline and refuse to check you in if you dont. This has happened to me checking in flying Thai, Singapore, Qantas and Cathay.

I recommend you get a confirmed ticket out to Malaysia, Singapore etc before you go to check in.

The fact that many posters "get away with it" does not mean that everyone will.

Australian passport holders (and nationals from 50 designated countries) may travel to Thailand for the purpose of tourism without a visa. They will be permitted to stay for a period not exceed 30 days on each visit provided they arrive by air and have a confirmed ticket out of Thailand (by air, land, or sea) within 30 days. But those entering by land at the immigration checkpoints from neighboring countries, will be allowed to stay for 15 days on each entry.

This is for a "visa on arrival", and you DO need a confirmed ticket out of Thailand. The fact that Immigration may not normally ask to see your confirmed ticket out of Thailand, they can and if you don't have one you can be refused entry.

The airline (who may be fined or have to fly you back out of Thailand) has every right to check that you have a confirmed ticket out. When you check in they review your reservation, and if you have a return ticket with them they will say nothing. If you don't they can demand to see your confirmed ticket out with another airline and refuse to check you in if you dont. This has happened to me checking in flying Thai, Singapore, Qantas and Cathay.

I recommend you get a confirmed ticket out to Malaysia, Singapore etc before you go to check in.

There are NO "visas on arrival" available for Australians only visa exempt entries.

Using incorrect terminology leads only to confusion and misunderstanding !.

As sea and land departures cannot be easily checked by the airlines these will likely be rejected as confirmation of onward/return ticketing arrangements.

Edited by Sceptict11

Nothing to do with the OP as he does have a visa.

The OP has a valid visa and does not require a return or onward ticket. The IATA database info available on Emirates website that was posted earlier confirms this.

The IATA data base on the Emirates website confirms no such thing. Here's the excert:

Additional Information:

ACMECS Single Visa issued by Cambodia and Thailand are valid for 90 days from the date of issue and are valid for a stay of 60 days in Thailand. Holders of visas isssued by Cambodia (marked KHA) will be required to pay their fee for Thailand upon arrival in Thailand.
Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents for their next destination.
Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.- per person or THB 20,000.- per family). Proof of funds includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, MCO's or well-known credit cards, which are honoured in Thailand. Exempt are: holders of a re-entry visa.

For those who do not require a visa, stays are restricted to a max. of 90 days within any 6 month period. This also applies to those granted an initial stay of 30 days, wishing to extend their stay. One photo will be required for extension application. Stays exceeding the 90 days within any 6 month period may also be possible.

It states that visitors that are visa exempt are required to hold documents for their next destination but no where does it address those that have visas so it's an assumption that they don't require onward travel documents since it's not stated either way, or am I missing something? In addition the website states that stays for those entering on visa exempt are restricted to a max of 90 days within any 6 month period. That regulation is outdated as that is no longer a requirement.

The bottom line is that you are at the mercy of the check in crew that is on duty and their interpretation of the regulations and most of the reports indicate that if you have a visa you don't need onward ticketing, but a few don't!

The OP has a valid visa and does not require a return or onward ticket. The IATA database info available on Emirates website that was posted earlier confirms this.
The IATA data base on the Emirates website confirms no such thing. Here's the excert: Additional Information:ACMECS Single Visa issued by Cambodia and Thailand are valid for 90 days from the date of issue and are valid for a stay of 60 days in Thailand. Holders of visas isssued by Cambodia (marked KHA) will be required to pay their fee for Thailand upon arrival in Thailand.Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents for their next destination.Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.- per person or THB 20,000.- per family). Proof of funds includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, MCO's or well-known credit cards, which are honoured in Thailand. Exempt are: holders of a re-entry visa.For those who do not require a visa, stays are restricted to a max. of 90 days within any 6 month period. This also applies to those granted an initial stay of 30 days, wishing to extend their stay. One photo will be required for extension application. Stays exceeding the 90 days within any 6 month period may also be possible. It states that visitors that are visa exempt are required to hold documents for their next destination but no where does it address those that have visas so it's an assumption that they don't require onward travel documents since it's not stated either way, or am I missing something? In addition the website states that stays for those entering on visa exempt are restricted to a max of 90 days within any 6 month period. That regulation is outdated as that is no longer a requirement. The bottom line is that you are at the mercy of the check in crew that is on duty and their interpretation of the regulations and most of the reports indicate that if you have a visa you don't need onward ticketing, but a few don't!
If you add this to what you posted it makes it a little more clear.
VisaVisa required.Visa Exemptions:A max. stay of 30 days:
To me it is clear enough to me to state that he does not need a ticket out. The 90 days in 6 months appears on IATA data base no matter which airline you use to access it.

So I had boarding refused because of that! Becareful!! some company are really bad minded, especially SRI LANKAN AIRLINES, never took them !

In April I will fly with UL (SriLankan) for the 1st time. Hope it will go smooth.

A year ago I had Sri Lankan try and refuse me boarding even though I had an extension of stay with a rentry permit (and in fact a visa too).

I have flown Dusseldorf-Dubai-Bangkok on Emirates with a single ticket.

When the clerk at the check-in counter saw that I had a single ticket, he asked me if I had a visa. I showed him the double entry tourist visa in my passport and it was accepted without any problems.

• Like 1

A year ago I had Sri Lankan try and refuse me boarding even though I had an extension of stay with a rentry permit (and in fact a visa too)

Same for me once from dxb to bkk. I bought a one way ticket from Airasia from bkk to kul and everything was fine.

One time fra - bkk with Condor, had a six months visa for Thailand and that was fine too.

We traveled to BKK in October 2012 with Emirates. My girlfriends ticket was a BKK-LGW-BKK return and my ticket was one way LGW-BKK. I had a one year multi entry O visa. There were no problems with check-in and it never even crossed my mind about being refused boarding until the op mentioned it.

The only problem we had was with the 90kgs of luggage between people travelling economy. Yes, that is 90kgs! The Emirates check-in were extremely helpful because they informed us to repack around the corner and advised they do not weigh computer bags. With this knowledge we only had to dump 3kgs of luggage.

Smiles and being polite really does work even though I was wearing jeans and a T shirt.

Cheers and enjoy.

Hi,

Yes I had the same problem when travelling from New Delhi to Dubai. Having European passport I don't need visa for UAE and will get a 30 days visa in the airport. But since I had a one way ticket I was also refused to get on flight. I showed them I had travel to Dubai in this way many time before and they could see all the stamps in my passport. I said while in Dubai I always bought my ticket there either it was a return ticket or travelling to another country. I mentioned that I never had problem travelling with either Air India, Air Arabia etc. But these people just would not listen.

Anyway they forced me to buy a return ticket in the airport and I said it ok just get me one. Then they tried to book me a return ticket but the person in charge did not know how to book a flight for me. Then another person came and said okay I will let you go but the moment you cross India immigration while still in India buy your return ticket. I said fine. But I never bought any ticket and nothing happen to me in Dubai.

Now if you are sure they will let you fly but then it is your responsibility if they do not let you in Thailand then you can say it is fine. But you have to be sure that you will not get any problem in Thailand.

I had been asked also in USA, Canada and few other countries to show them my return ticket at the immigration. I guess Emirates is doing this for anyone travelling to any country so they are not responsible for you.

Have fun

The other option that I do not see posted is that the poster can buy a refundable ticket out/onwards. A ticket that can be cancelled with a full refund. Then cancel the ticket and get the refund. Just one option if it makes the poster feel more secure.

If you do this it is critically important that the two tickets are not on an attached itinerary. One you have started the trip

the next leg is usually not refundable. To avoid this buy the fully refundable return/onward ticket from another airline.

Careful not to get into a pissing contest with the check in agent. Even though they are wrong you will be the one

that is screwed over.

The IATA data base on the Emirates website confirms no such thing. Here's the excert:

Additional Information:

ACMECS Single Visa issued by Cambodia and Thailand are valid for 90 days from the date of issue and are valid for a stay of 60 days in Thailand. Holders of visas isssued by Cambodia (marked KHA) will be required to pay their fee for Thailand upon arrival in Thailand.

Visitors who are visa exempt are required to hold documents for their next destination.

Visitors over 12 years of age are required to hold sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 10,000.- per person or THB 20,000.- per family). Proof of funds includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, MCO's or well-known credit cards, which are honoured in Thailand. Exempt are: holders of a re-entry visa.

For those who do not require a visa, stays are restricted to a max. of 90 days within any 6 month period. This also applies to those granted an initial stay of 30 days, wishing to extend their stay. One photo will be required for extension application. Stays exceeding the 90 days within any 6 month period may also be possible.

It states that visitors that are visa exempt are required to hold documents for their next destination but no where does it address those that have visas so it's an assumption that they don't require onward travel documents since it's not stated either way, or am I missing something? In addition the website states that stays for those entering on visa exempt are restricted to a max of 90 days within any 6 month period. That regulation is outdated as that is no longer a requirement.

The bottom line is that you are at the mercy of the check in crew that is on duty and their interpretation of the regulations and most of the reports indicate that if you have a visa you don't need onward ticketing, but a few don't!

If you add this to what you posted it makes it a little more clear.
Visa

Visa required.

Visa Exemptions:

A max. stay of 30 days:

To me it is clear enough to me to state that he does not need a ticket out.

The 90 days in 6 months appears on IATA data base no matter which airline you use to access it.

From reading the website, I would assume the same, but from the conflicting reports on this thread I could not state that he will not need a ticket. The bottom line is that you are at the mercy of the check in crew that is on duty and their interpretation of the regulations.

I think that the website is unclear and, allbeit only a few, some reports indicate that they have been required to have onward tickets. Going to the check in desk and saying that ubonjoe told me I didn't need an onward ticket when they refuse boarding doesn't hack it! We could go back and forth forever, but I admit I don't know for sure. Enough said, I quit!

You will get the same response from all other airlines. They are protecting them selves, does not matter how long your visa is for you must have an ongoing ticket, if you were checked by immigration at Phuket and they see you did not have an ongoing ticket they can and would refuse entry and make the airline responsible to take you back.

You will get the same response from all other airlines. They are protecting them selves, does not matter how long your visa is for you must have an ongoing ticket, if you were checked by immigration at Phuket and they see you did not have an ongoing ticket they can and would refuse entry and make the airline responsible to take you back.

Although I hate to agree, this is correct. The bottom line is that if the immigration officials are rigidly enforcing rules then they can/may deny you entry. If this happens, the carrier (Airline) is responsible for the cost of getting you back to the point of embarkation.

It happened to me with Emirates as well. At the time I was working in the Middle East and flew a lot with Emirates. A very good airline I thought, I had several free upgrades to business class and service was always good/great. However one trip to Thailand with the then wife and it all changed. I was at the time living in the Philippines and had the Alien Certificate Registration card and never had a problem flying with Emirates from Dubai to Manila.

But on this trip when we came to leave BKK to fly back to Manila, I was asked about my onward flight out of the Philippines. I was stunned to say the least. They explained that they cannot let me check in or board unless I have an onward flight out of the Philippines. I explained about my ACR card etc etc and that Id been living in the Phils for 18 months. It made not one iota of difference. Luckily I did have a flight back to work planned so after a quick walk down the far end of the terminal, I got a printout from the Emirates main desk.

Some very strange rules but if the carrier wants to enforce them (Rightly or wrongly) then you need to be prepared to comply. It could be said that this may be a route in order to get customers to purchase onward tickets from them at that time, however I would think such action would be counter-productive to the airline. Word of mouth is a great advertiser and airlines dont like negative press.

We know some rules suck.... and airline travel has increasingly become more difficult since 911, restrictions and rules are constantly changing. But hey if I get to where Im going in one piece, I will try to comply with whatever requirements are thrown my way.

And the last thing anyone needs to do is piss off airline/airport staff. Especially in Dubai, they have very little tolerance to unruly passengers... and their jails are harsh.

But travel well and be safe!

• Like 1

Answer yes if they ask if you have a return ticket

You can doctor up a good Itinerary from a prior ticket and make it look good. Show it only if necessary

If they want a receipt of payment, say you did not have time or resources to print it out.

The above cost nothing.

But be prepared for stumbling blocks, inept Check In personnel.

If all else fails, and you are forced to buy a ticket, just make sure its refundable and use a credit card as you may be able to cancel payment due to negligence of the airlines (requiring a return ticket before boarding when you knew it was not required)

Like they say, some have been asked, others have not.

I see some airlines enforce and some don't.

In the USA, Delta stopped me from boarding until I explained and showed proof of overseas residence... Bank Book, Drivers License, Residency Cert, etc. I had an Immigration card for the Philippines. They looked confused, but let me go...

Expats worldwide, sometime just do not fit into the box.

• Like 1

Added thought....Some countries have additional security measures in place from time to time. Homeland Security in the USA, for example, has implemented many policies that airlines must now enforce. That probably affects US Aircraft Carriers overseas as well. And I imagine, government restrictions in other Nations may also implement security procedures (for example, the Olympics or a pending national crises). Sometimes you just look suspicious, like me, with a light backpack, jeans, and baseball cap, no luggage and paid cash for the ticket. Been out of country 18 years. That is bound to raise an eyebrow, but I found myself bumped from a flight. Sat all alone in a room for 3 hours fiddling with my cellphone, then was told to get on the next flight. It is not entirely the airlines fault.

In other words, other visitors (who have a visa) are not required to hold documents for their next destination.

The problem is, that here at TV people can read and understand the regulations. Which is not always the case with checkin personel.

I'm quite shocked about the report above from the guy with retirement extension and reentry permit who was being denied boarding.

Once in Tokyo, the girls were discussing if my reentry permit was a visa or not. They finally let me pass.

In other words, other visitors (who have a visa) are not required to hold documents for their next destination.

As I said above I would assume the same! But how do your "other words" cover those who do not have a visa, do not qualify for a visa exempt entry and are going to purchase a VOA? As I said it's entirely up to the interpretation of the regulations by the check in crew and their supervisor and you can only hope that they are in tune with your "other words". Omitting the obvious sometimes leads to ambiguity and leaves the issue open to local interpretation! Sorry! I quit again! We're beating a dead horse to death!xunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

Visa on arrival is not the same as visa exempt, which is what Oz pp holders get on arrival.