Rules are Rules, I Guess (Restaurant Experience)

luckizuchinni

I once was in a KFC, ordering a Zinger meal: Girl - " What drink would you like sir" Me- " Anything but coke", Girl- " sorry sir but we only have coke", Me- " Then I'll have the meal without a drink, no problem" Girl- " You have to have the drink sir, it's part of the meal", Me- ( seeing where this was heading) Ok, I'll have the coke". Which i promptly poured down the sink. Me- " there you go honey, problem solved"

• Like 1

I once was in a KFC, ordering a Zinger meal: Girl - " What drink would you like sir" Me- " Anything but coke", Girl- " sorry sir but we only have coke", Me- " Then I'll have the meal without a drink, no problem" Girl- " You have to have the drink sir, it's part of the meal", Me- ( seeing where this was heading) Ok, I'll have the coke". Which i promptly poured down the sink. Me- " there you go honey, problem solved"

Did similar...just took the coke off the tray and left it on the counter, I thought about just giving it away to someone else, but they would probably look at me very strange, not worth the bother.

there is a place down the road from me that charges us extra if we want 2 coal cookers instead of 1 for 4 people even though I tried to explain to them that if the 4 of us would have came in separately they would have gladly supplied 4 cookers without any extra charge.

If i go there again I will do the same that the OP did. My son and I will sit at one table while my daughter and wife sit at another 1 foot away.

Please report back with your experiences

In the U.S.having a "beef" with the waitstaff is a good way to insure your food will be given a little "extra attention" in the back of the house before it arrives at your table.

Wonder if that happens here?

Wifey used to work in a restaurant years ago. If a customer acted up they definitely got some of 'chefs own sauce' if the opportunity arose.

Uh oh! bah.gifw00t.gif

In the U.S.having a "beef" with the waitstaff is a good way to insure your food will be given a little "extra attention" in the back of the house before it arrives at your table.

But general common curiosity would likely prevent that from happening in the first place. I couldn't begin to estimate the # of US restaurants I've eaten at and among them it would add up to less than the fingers on one hand where i had any issue.

Respect and courtesy generally go along way.

I doubt that this is a country specific action. No doubt it happens in some restaurants all over the world.

I heard stories, many decades ago, the cooks occasionally urinated in the giant mashed potato urn in the kitchen of the officers mess. I won't state which country.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

I once experienced this in a well known BBQ place. I wanted the buffet, while my not-so-hungry girlfriend opted from a choice of the menu.

'No can do' then waitress answered. Just wanted to test the waters (not to save a handful of money, I moved to another table and ordered the buffet. Then had my girlfriend join at my table. The staff just made eyes at us, but didn't interfere.

We tipped them twice though.

But yes, most BBQ places have that rule, although at 'Korean BBQ' on Petchburi Rd, people in a group may order the Seafood option while other just have the regular BBQ.

Dear Lord is there nothing so small that we won't complain about it? coffee1.gif

Did you read this part of the OP's post?

"This is no big deal, and we got what we wanted. I just thought it was pretty funny that the rules were so stringent. The restaurant spent more money in charcoal and ice that if we had just sat at the same table, but I guess no one has the authority to use common sense in a case like this. "

I think The OP made it clear he was not complaining and instead merely noted what he found humorous.

Does TV have a relaxation pill available on its online store? 555

there is a place down the road from me that charges us extra if we want 2 coal cookers instead of 1 for 4 people even though I tried to explain to them that if the 4 of us would have came in separately they would have gladly supplied 4 cookers without any extra charge.

If i go there again I will do the same that the OP did. My son and I will sit at one table while my daughter and wife sit at another 1 foot away.

Please report back with your experiences

Any 'mookata' (Thai style BBQ) which I've frequented has an extra charge for a person eating alone, to cover the cost of the skillet.

moo-kata-pan.jpg

Dear Lord is there nothing so small that we won't complain about it? coffee1.gif

I don't think I see a complaint here. More just an observation. I used to own a BBQ restaurant. On Monday nights we had an option, for big eaters, of paying one price for all of the ribs you could eat. If their guests ordered smaller portions of ribs, no problem. We certainly never made am attempt to monitor who ate what, but put faith that people were basically honest. We of course needed to watch the table for when they wanted to order "3 more" so we could keep them coming. I don't believe that anyone tried to cheat us. Customers should be treated as being honest until you find they are not.

In my opinion so long as the Beef is paid for it does'nt really matter who the <deleted> eats it ,Imagine if that was a restuarant in Aussie or elsewhere and you had a T bone and your partner had a small piece as a taster and ended up getting charged for a whole T Bone wouldnt you have something to say ? .

It's buffet. You can get as much beef as you can eat ... not as much as someone else can eat.

I think the restaurant sounds retentive. They should have given you the beef for the pork price.

How was the beef anyway?

They only had two beef dishes, but they were good. In fact, the entire meal was good, and without anyone else there in our section of the restaurant at the time, having two waiters there all the time made reordering easy.

I tipped twice, one for each table, as the service was in fact good when we got started and the meals themselves were fine.

Pah... the world is full of funny rules.

A place in Poland wouldn't serve us until we took our coats off.... it was bloody freezing.

McD freaks out if you order something they don't have a button for.

The customer is always right does not apply here......

You've piqued my curiosity. Why wouldn't they serve you until you took off your coats?

Perhaps worried about us doing a 'runner'....

Or not clutter up the place with coats.....they wanted them hung up too!

The Polish girl with me just said 'Polish like to have silly rules'...but I didn't feel it was like that there.

Edited by jacko45k

I know we have been to BBQ places here that had an option. You can get the buffet side and then if only one person wants something no one else wants, you can order a side of it (the beef, in this case). We have also done that with seafood. They were set up for that, as the seafood, etc., was in a special place.

As for people adding some ""special sauce" to things, I have seen it with my own eyes--usually because a waiter is demanding it. If people were nice, they would request special things for them, etc. Sometimes, though, if a piece of cooked meat, let's say, fell on the floor, the cooks would say "sorry, have to cook up a new one." The answer you might hear from a waiter is "whatever...just wipe it off and give it to me. These people are &*)$!@$%^&. I don't care...just give it to me." So, it does pay to be nice to your waiter/waitress.