What's getting better / worse for the foreigners in Thailand in the last five years.

retiredat50

It is funny w00t.gif but THE LAST few days in this forum, there is lots of post asking us what we like or dislike in thailand....and i ask myself .....is it a special inquiry on special demand of immigration or government, disguised and made trough some old thai visa members to let us reply freely? well freely....is a big question...dont forget the moderator and the sensure are omnipresent here.....whistling.gif But suddenly why so much interest in knowing if i want my steak rare or well done?

do they want to know now what we really think?

we are so many now that perhaps they should do anyway !

also there is more and more children farang/thais very well educated everyday ...one day they will vote and perhaps change some unfair rules and laws !

good day and good night

coffee1.gif

A post using all caps has been removed. Turn off your Caps Lock button when posting.

What is caps lock button, and where is it?
YoU do rEalize it's 2014? Not 1914......555

I get it now, I thought the Mod was talking about something on the Thaivisa website, not on my computer.

A post using all caps has been removed. Turn off your Caps Lock button when posting.

What is caps lock button, and where is it?
YoU do rEalize it's 2014? Not 1914......555

I think he needs some help using a touchscreen keyboard. There isn't a Caps Lock button as such. It's an up arrow pressed twice.

I first came to Thailand in 1973. Back then, the people were infinitely more friendly,So, right off the top of my head, I would say that the attitude is very much worse. As far as what's better, maybe more places are air conditioned, taxis have meters and there are BTS and MRT now.

Sir

In 1973 most countries in the world were nicer,less crime,mummies looked after the kids, daddy was the bread winner, need i continue ???

Bit off on our dates are we?

American women like this are one of the reasons I married a Thai.

• Like 1

food and drink getting better: decent bread available ( although still too sweet in many cases), better quality cheese and imported meats, growth of quality coffee shops, tea rooms ( at least in BKK). Coffee supports life on this planet. Without it the human race would die out in 2 or 3 generations.

I think it much depends on where in Thailand you are.

Out in the countryside where I live, things have gotten better. TOT internet (Ok it's bad, but a whole lot better than dial up!) finally reached where I am (I have fingers crossed for True Vision in the coming years). Phones got 3G. The provincial town got a Big C, Lotus and a Home Pro -- I used to have to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to get to a superstore. I can even buy cheese locally now. Limited variety, of course, but it beats no cheese at all.

And the air's still clean and the people still friendly and down to earth.

Bangkok on the other hand......

I first came to Thailand in 1973. Back then, the people were infinitely more friendly,So, right off the top of my head, I would say that the attitude is very much worse. As far as what's better, maybe more places are air conditioned, taxis have meters and there are BTS and MRT now.

Sir

In 1973 most countries in the world were nicer,less crime,mummies looked after the kids, daddy was the bread winner, need i continue ???

The women in the poster only worked through WW2, then stayed home with the kids.

I'm sure there are any number or reasons you married a Thai, but the US lacking in women that make great wives is not one of them.

Sir

I think you mean American women that you could get are one of the reasons you married a Thai.

One thing outweighs all: the cost of living is far higher than it used to be, and I'm talking in proportion to my income, not just the general effect of year-on-year inflation. This is no longer the fool's paradise it once was where you could imagine everything was great because you had to pay so little for it.

The women in the poster only worked through WW2, then stayed home with the kids.

I'm sure there are any number or reasons you married a Thai, but the US lacking in women that make great wives is not one of them.

Rosie the Riveter had a cultural influence on American women like no one before or since.

The babe had balls.

Seriously if Caps offend you how can you be in a position to censor. This is the problem we have government taking away freedom of speech an now we have moderators who with their bias feel they can also take our right to freedom of speech its pathetic what we have lowered ourselves too, Mod does this give you a feel of power which you can justify your pathetic life.... sigh

• Like 2

I have been traveling regularly to Thailand for more than 10 years now and I have visted Pattaya on many of these trips.

I have also traveled extensivly over many other areas of Thailand, I would never claim to be an expert on Thailand but I think I know enough to offer a constructive comment

If there is one thing that stands out above all else as getting worse over the last decade it would be the type of people now fequenting Pattaya in larger and larger numbers.

I do not want to single out any one particular race or ethnic goup of people because I will surly be branded a rasist which I am certainly not.

But anyone who has known Pattaya well over this period will know exactly what I mean, there are huge numbers of 2 particular goups now moving into Pattaya and basiclly taking over the place

One group I expect has ties to organised crime (no prizes for guessing that one) and the other group come from the middle east.

On my last trip to Pattaya I just could not believe the numbers of people in these 2 groups now basiclly invading the place, I was quite shocked and disturbed at how its changing so fast.

If you don't belive me take a walk out the back of walking street and you will think you have been transported to another country.

One of Pattaya's great stregths is that it was such a great melting port of differnt cultures and people from all over the world and not really domminated by any particular group, everyone mixed and just got along with each other.

This however is changing fast and the I hate to think what it will be like in another 10 years

As far as I am concerned Pattaya is just about stuffed now and I will be avoiding the place in the future, which is a pity really as I have some good memories of the way it used to be.

I think it much depends on where in Thailand you are.

Out in the countryside where I live, things have gotten better. TOT internet (Ok it's bad, but a whole lot better than dial up!) finally reached where I am (I have fingers crossed for True Vision in the coming years). Phones got 3G. The provincial town got a Big C, Lotus and a Home Pro -- I used to have to drive 1 1/2 hours each way to get to a superstore. I can even buy cheese locally now. Limited variety, of course, but it beats no cheese at all.

And the air's still clean and the people still friendly and down to earth.

Bangkok on the other hand......

You must live near me!.....

Changed for the worse without a doubt

That's goes for a lot of other places too, though, doesn't it?

It does indeed and I am sorry I have made a mistake,I thought we were just talking about LOS.Please accept my apology

Well, i have been here 4 and a half years.

I haven't noticed any major changes, except more condos, malls and consumerism.

More fat Thais for sure.

Becoming more Westernized.

All of these things are generally bad, in my opinion.

I think teaching salaries are getting worse and contracts getting shorter.

But it still has the same essence of Thailand that i love and wouldn't change it. (except the teaching contracts, haha)