Leaving AirAsia

asiaexpat

The time has come to depart a long relationship with AirAsia. We travel a lot and always used AirAsia except for trans Pacific flights. But recently I noticed that when ever I attempted to book a special flight that AirAsia emailed me about, I could not get the advertised price. Then, while booking a flight to Siem Reap that was advertised as 960 TB each way, the best price offered was 4000 TB. So I checked other airlines to see if this was a normal airfare. When I returned to AirAsia's booking website for members, the price jumped another 1000 TB. It seems that if you are a regular customer and search for good flights, a cookie tells AirAsia to jump the price up. This policy, to screw loyal customers, has forced me to other airlines. With Lion Air and Thai's new low cost carrier, I have options, so good by AirAsia.

• Like 1

So did you try to book the same flight on a different computer at the same time? That would be the only way to establish whether 'It seems that if you are a regular customer and search for good flights, a cookie tells AirAsia to jump the price up. This policy, to screw loyal customers, has forced me to other airlines.' is justified.

So did you try to book the same flight on a different computer at the same time? That would be the only way to establish whether 'It seems that if you are a regular customer and search for good flights, a cookie tells AirAsia to jump the price up. This policy, to screw loyal customers, has forced me to other airlines.' is justified.

That is how I found that cookies are used to track my usage.

I still use Air Asia a lot. Their deceptive 'nickle and diming' certainly puts a bad taste in your mouth though. You have to deselect insurance about 4X ! I didn't want to pay their 12% fee for using a CC, so I went to their office in Phnom Penh. They had a fee for paying frigging cash ! And these guys are 'the Budget Airline of the Year' again ! Here's how you can win - Buy ahead of time - A LOT cheaper. Pay for overweight baggage in advance - WAY WAY cheaper. Feel free to cheat on carry ons. - They never check, (just don't put the bag in front of their faces). Pay the 100B for for a seat up front (just behind the Red Seats), if you're going through customs & just carrying on. - You'll be out the door ahead of everyone else. Don't use them for a tight connection to a long haul flight - They're late a lot and will cancel an under-sold flight at the drop of a hat. Once at DMK, just grab a taxi up at Departures. - The taxi queue ALWAYS sucks. If during 'Rush Hr', take the A1 or A2 bus outside Nok's baggage area to Mo Chit. Finally, the best advice of all - use Kayak and fly anybody else if the prices are close. FD isn't always cheaper..

• Like 2

That is how I found that cookies are used to track my usage.

Why do you think they pick on you? whistling.gif

are you sure this is the reason or are you just making assumptions? i think it's possible that the flight you were directed to initially e.g. through the advertising you mention, had recently sold all seats and the price when you went to the website reverted to another flight, at a different price.

This business of putting cookies on computers and raising the ticket price when the buyer returns to the site has been documented on Flyer talk. It happened to me when I found a ticket for a United flight on Kayak. When I was transferred to the United site and signed in with my Mileage Plus number, the ticket price jumped by about $600. I than used another computer, bought the ticket at the Kayak price first and then added my personal info and Mileage Plus number. Saved myself $600! These airlines are tricky and are now squeezing the passengers for every penny they can get out of them!

• Like 1

Gone are the days that you could have flown with AA to almost anywhere for peanuts,

I started flying with them back when a retune flight Bkk-Melb use to cost like $400-500

including food, seats and 20 Kg luggage that were built in, now days, the honeymoon is

over and they try to get every bit of money they can get from you with add-ons that used

to be included in the fare,

the bottom line is, 2 months a go I booked a return flight with AA Bkk-Melb for the Jan

for b.21,000 including food, seats and 30Kg luggage, while the other airlines charging

b. 35-38,000 fro the same flight, and all you have to do is monitor their website for the

best deals and book in advance, AA is not an airline for book today fly tomorrow,

• Like 2