The Farang Can Speak Thai Hee Hee

Neeranam

I'm staggered at the number of posts saying the OP should have been confrontational......

That would really have got the party off to a flyer...one of the guests feeling she's upset her host, no matter that it couldn't have been laughed off but sometimes you just have to ride the bumps in the road. He'd have found himself getting furtive, baleful, puppy-eyed glances all night from most of his Thai guests for being a 'rude' host...

• Like 1

I am an American living in Thailand....my neighbor is an Englishman.

When I bought the property next to him ... I went by to introduce myself and say "Hi"........his FIRST words to me were "I hear your a man not to be Trusted"

So you see, rudeness spans the world ....and ignorance is not limited to Thai's

PS ...I haven't spoken to the ignorant rude Englishman since then (3 years)

...shame...

...divide and conquer....

...someone else slandered you....that person should be your real enemy...

Neeranam - you have to accept that we English speakers enjoy the luxury of having the international language. We find it normal for foreigners of all races to speak English. You and I would not be in the least surprised to hear an Eskimo (I know that's now a politically incorrect term now, but I'm old school), speak English.

But I'd suggest to you that we would both be a little surprised to hear an Eskimo speak Thai. A Thai would be no more shocked at hearing an Eskimo speak Thai as hearing you speak Thai. Probably less so, because an Eskimo does look slightly Asian.

Note: Absolutely no racial slurs are implied in the above.

Yes, I agree with your observations. I do understand WHY this happens. The main question is what do we do when it happens. Smile and say nothing?

No, you tell them politely to stop refering to you as a "farang" all the time, tell them there is no need to classify you as a race, after all, you are just a human being, and all of a sudden, when Thais stop using this "farang" all the time, they will eventually get the idea, that we are indeed also human beings, not aliens from another planet.

• Like 2

Thais--and most people--understand that western (anglo) culture will be more familiar to people around the world than Thai culture. A Thai (or a Cambodian or a Sri Lankan, etc etc) has more reason to be surprised that you are familiar with their culture (can speak their language, can eat their food, etc) than vice versa. No reason to get frustrated. After living in Singapore for 14+ years people regularly 'reminded' me to be careful when dolling out chili sauce because it may be too spicy for me (it's much milder than the Thai stuff), and taxi drivers were surprised when I use local slang. What's the big deal? Why get pissed about it?

And, in Thailand, you have to remember that a lot of westerners can't speak the language and can't handle spicy food ... you're the exception rather than the rule. Don't be the exception in terms of your temper...

• Like 1

Eskimos look similar to Asians because of the land bridge connecting The two continents about the time of the Ice Age. There was a migration. The ice melted and the land bridge has now submerged. Perhaps they would have some odd advantages on speaking Asian languages. I know they are quite good at owning lots of noisy dogs.

• Like 1

When I bought the property next to him ... I went by to introduce myself and say "Hi"........his FIRST words to me were "I hear your a man not to be Trusted"

Sounds like the kind of thing I would say as a joke, along the lines "Who's this disreputable fellow walking along the street?". You're the ignorant one if you're offended by that.

Yes! Talk about culture clash- in this case British and American! The guy was being a bit too British and the American was being a bit too American.

Neeranam - you have to accept that we English speakers enjoy the luxury of having the international language. We find it normal for foreigners of all races to speak English. You and I would not be in the least surprised to hear an Eskimo (I know that's now a politically incorrect term now, but I'm old school), speak English.

But I'd suggest to you that we would both be a little surprised to hear an Eskimo speak Thai. A Thai would be no more shocked at hearing an Eskimo speak Thai as hearing you speak Thai. Probably less so, because an Eskimo does look slightly Asian.

Yes, I agree with your observations. I do understand WHY this happens. The main question is what do we do when it happens. Smile and say nothing?

If you can speak Thai then use a bit of humour to serve up a witty comeback that will break the ice and let them gently know how stupid they sound! :)

Sorry monkeyboots, wise cracking and firing something funny back in Thai is risky, or haven't you noticed? ; except in very rare circumstances these "child/people" can not and WILL not take a joke aimed at their own sacred forking personages

WE, we and any other ones determined NOT to be THAI are meant to be the butt of the joke.

But this butt business is not meant to be a two-way street. It is not.

This goes back to a Thai language adage which parses out something like this: "When you enter a room, do NOT open your mouth until AFTER you have figured out who is 'up' and who is 'down'".

A crude unmannered Thai guest will "sell your face" in a heartbeat if they have determined doing so will bear them no meaningful consequences.

It is for this reason that HERE, this kind of humour is not a two-way street.

A "back-at-cha" to the wrong person can earn you anything from the silent treatment to a murderous attack.

Face must be saved at all costs.

• Like 2

What for you might be rude, for others is not.... as simple as this!

I find the opposite to be true. I was at a Thai funeral and cracked out a massive stinky fart when the abbot was chanting. To cover my embarrassment I turned to the big-haired Khunying next to me. said " Do you mind auntie there's no need for that" and started to wave a lit incense stick about while making over the top gagging and retching sounds. I know it was going downhill when the abbot gave up on the Pali and shouted " Christ that reeks" and passed out. It was all to no avail as I'd also "followed through" as it were and there was a nice brown stain on my kecks

They didn't like that...............

The good lord invented slacks gasses for a reason.

One of the more effective "non-verbals" wouldn't you say.

• Like 1

Gotta learn not to get upset at the Thais just being themselves, it is what they do, they don't mean any harm. A good rule is that EVERYTHING is different here compared to the way it is un farangland.

If you can speak Thai then use a bit of humour to serve up a witty comeback that will break the ice and let them gently know how stupid they sound! smile.png

Sorry monkeyboots, wise cracking and firing something funny back in Thai is risky, or haven't you noticed? ; except in very rare circumstances these "child/people" can not and WILL not take a joke aimed at their own sacred forking personages

WE, we and any other ones determined NOT to be THAI are meant to be the butt of the joke.

But this butt business is not meant to be a two-way street. It is not.

This goes back to a Thai language adage which parses out something like this: "When you enter a room, do NOT open your mouth until AFTER you have figured out who is 'up' and who is 'down'".

A crude unmannered Thai guest will "sell your face" in a heartbeat if they have determined doing so will bear them no meaningful consequences.

It is for this reason that HERE, this kind of humour is not a two-way street.

A "back-at-cha" to the wrong person can earn you anything from the silent treatment to a murderous attack.

Face must be saved at all costs.

"child/people" :) Good one. Very true.

Gotta learn not to get upset at the Thais just being themselves, it is what they do, they don't mean any harm. A good rule is that EVERYTHING is different here compared to the way it is un farangland.

Maybe they were not used to meeting a farang? Some think we are above doing normal tasks

I talk Thai around and about and they think great! Oh" Khoon pood Thai dai!"... with a smile!.

To me a compliment I love it!

You have to understand .They mean well . Just simple people

• Like 1

Most Thais soil themselves with pleasure when they meet a self-confident white person who can speak Thai well. You do need to be assertive about it though as they have many prejudices that need to be dispelled.

Of course they do.

They are ecstatic that you have wasted at least three to four years learning a language as difficult as Thai in the expectation that with a good knowledge of their language you will now be able to converse upon more difficult topics like philosophy, politics and economics. A meeting of the minds as it were.

The pleasure they "are soiling themselves with" has much more to do with their understanding that even after taking all that trouble to learn Thai, as a foreigner no one will trust you with an honest opinion.

You are not from "their year," after all.

A few times i have had Thais in their best English , or in Thai , and ask me if i speak Thai to which i answer " Mai ow Krup" . They usually find this hilarious and shake my hand or slap me on the back and laugh but they must be wondering "does he "or " doesn't he " . Breaks down the barriers , confuses the hell out of them and i have made some good thai friends this way..

Edited by xen

What had he heard about you?

Is your name Obama?

...but imagine they would be pretty upset if I went in saying "the Asian can speak English etc" and laugh about it.

Sing me a song in your native language ...

You made your point. Native english speakers do say that to Asian all the time.

Edited by txp158

Unbelievable, after all the crap we get on this forum from the poor little dears who are deeply offended when called Farang......

A Thai lady goes to the trouble of asking the name of a Farang, with, one might expect, the intention of using it......

What does she get, the farang suggesting she should have asked him and not his wife because he speaks Thai! Then when the lady comments that he speaks Thai, he takes offence! Could you not have joined the conversation by repeating your name enquiring the same from her!

No bloody wonder farangs have such a piss poor reputation! Do you not realise the starting point of a good party is to ensure people feel relaxed when they first arrive as they are usually a little nervous?

Exactly ! OP was being rude, my opinion. Can speak Thai, great achivement, but why does he not know how to communicate with them in a nice way ? Wouldn't want to be his guest nor his neighbour. Party pooper !

• Like 2

I really enjoy reading some of the witticism ... and being an Aussie, I am well balanced, I have a chip on each shoulder, one doesn't like septic tanks and the other, pommies ...

and if you want to know the definition of gross ignorance ... its 144 Australians ...

you know, most of you blokes (ex-pats) are unique ... a breed of your own, with more in common than separates you ...

I look forward to bumping into you, so you can buy me a beer ...

• Like 2

555 I alway's say a man who says that some one can't be trusted can't be trusted himself and for sore as shit a pommy clap2.gif

The ambulance driver knew where the Farang lived but not the Auzzie bloke.

I would have told him to get the Farang at his house because he had been electrocuted and in need of immediate medical attention.

Him and two other Farangs were trying to change a light bulb.

But the Auzzie never wanted to be called Farang.

It took the Thai driver an hour to figure out who and where the Auzzie Bloke was and he died.

Edited by thailiketoo

Thai is a language only spoken in one country (Laos being a minor exception). Thailand has had minimal exposure to foreign languages outside the tourist areas. Thais never see foreigners on TV speaking Thai. They never see programmes, news articles, or sports events from foreign sources spoken or narrated in Thai by foreigners.

There are very few (if any) 2nd generation foreigners in Thailand that were born here and speak Thai as a first language (and I don't mean Leuk Kruengs). I say this to compare to most western countries that have dozens of nationalities that are 2nd or 10th generation and English is their first language.

Thailand is therefore a very non-cosmopolitan (read: essentially closed to the West until the Vietnam war) type country and its people are naïve in the ways of the outside world with regard to interracial communications and customs.

I believe that the vast majority of Thais (the educated class excepted) would find it relatively inconceivable that a foreigner would therefore want to learn Thai, or even be capable of learning Thai.

Back home in NZ I find nothing unusual in seeing Chinese, Africans, Dutch, Thais speaking pure Kiwi English - they're Kiwis after all, and were born in New Zealand. But how many children are born and live in Thailand that are pure Dutch, African, New Zealand (or whatever race) descent? I suspect my right hand would have sufficient fingers to count them.

Now.....if I was being served by a Thai in Central Festival or the local Thai market, and he/she addressed me in 100% pure unadulterated Kiwi English, complete with slang and inflection, well, it would blow my socks off.

EG, If they said "Sorry sport, yus'll have to hang around here for a few secs till the boss shows up 'cos the sodding computers thrown a wobbly and I can't open the till. Anyway, see them Aussies get creamed at the Cakebox last night....?"

So in the case of the OP, it's probably largely understandable that his neighbours (who presumably are unworldly to a large extent) get a shock/surprise when a white foreigner speaks Thai. To them, it's almost like an African meeting Livingstone in the jungle and Livingstone spoke perfect Swahili or whatever - the African would be as shocked as hell.

I've come across it and my Thai is very limited. I'm guilty of telling some of them (the ones that are a little rude with it, not just surprised) that Thai is now being taught in all the European schools and in 10 years Thailand will be flooded with Europeans that speak Thai.......and they believe me, bless them. thumbsup.gif

your example SUX. Had some fush and chups not so long ago while watching Aussies giving kiwis a lesson in how to win a world cup. wonderful !