The Farang Can Speak Thai Hee Hee

Neeranam

Actually by far the most common response from Thai people to me speaking Thai is something between a pleased smile and a relaxing in their attitude (my interaction with this foreigner is going to be easier than I thought) together with an acknowledgement of the respect I'm showing them and Thai people by having learned to speak and using polite Thai.

I ought to try going a day speaking only English to Thai people to remind myself what a positive difference to my experience of Thai people speaking their language really is.

• Like 2

Thai is a language only spoken in one country (Laos being a minor exception). Thailand has had minimal exposure to foreign languages outside the tourist areas. Thais never see foreigners on TV speaking Thai. They never see programmes, news articles, or sports events from foreign sources spoken or narrated in Thai by foreigners.

There are very few (if any) 2nd generation foreigners in Thailand that were born here and speak Thai as a first language (and I don't mean Leuk Kruengs). I say this to compare to most western countries that have dozens of nationalities that are 2nd or 10th generation and English is their first language.

Thailand is therefore a very non-cosmopolitan (read: essentially closed to the West until the Vietnam war) type country and its people are naïve in the ways of the outside world with regard to interracial communications and customs.

I believe that the vast majority of Thais (the educated class excepted) would find it relatively inconceivable that a foreigner would therefore want to learn Thai, or even be capable of learning Thai.

Back home in NZ I find nothing unusual in seeing Chinese, Africans, Dutch, Thais speaking pure Kiwi English - they're Kiwis after all, and were born in New Zealand. But how many children are born and live in Thailand that are pure Dutch, African, New Zealand (or whatever race) descent? I suspect my right hand would have sufficient fingers to count them.

Now.....if I was being served by a Thai in Central Festival or the local Thai market, and he/she addressed me in 100% pure unadulterated Kiwi English, complete with slang and inflection, well, it would blow my socks off.

EG, If they said "Sorry sport, yus'll have to hang around here for a few secs till the boss shows up 'cos the sodding computers thrown a wobbly and I can't open the till. Anyway, see them Aussies get creamed at the Cakebox last night....?"

So in the case of the OP, it's probably largely understandable that his neighbours (who presumably are unworldly to a large extent) get a shock/surprise when a white foreigner speaks Thai. To them, it's almost like an African meeting Livingstone in the jungle and Livingstone spoke perfect Swahili or whatever - the African would be as shocked as hell.

I've come across it and my Thai is very limited. I'm guilty of telling some of them (the ones that are a little rude with it, not just surprised) that Thai is now being taught in all the European schools and in 10 years Thailand will be flooded with Europeans that speak Thai.......and they believe me, bless them. thumbsup.gif

Thai is a language only spoken in one country (Laos being a minor exception). Thailand has had minimal exposure to foreign languages outside the tourist areas. Thais never see foreigners on TV speaking Thai. They never see programmes, news articles, or sports events from foreign sources spoken or narrated in Thai by foreigners.

So I guess the reverse is sitting with my wife watching a Thai voiced over English movie that I've seen before when someone laughingly asks why I'm watching the "Thai" movie, I shouldn't either say that it's ok because I can lipread, or that I'm trying to understand Thai people.

If you can have a sense of humor about what Thai's might make fun of, use it. I find it completely changes personal attitudes of most people, regardless of nationality if you can laugh at yourself. You'll never been a native Thai in a lifetime, and they place a high value on their culture, regardless of where you think they stand in the world.

When they realise we speak Thai they usually adopt Issan slang. I wait a while and then talk a little Laos (wife is from Kolad) This usually shocks them enough to try and talk to me direct. I believe they are genuinely shy to talk directly and don't know how to react at first.

Although yes some are just plain rude!!

They (Thais) are ignorant people, and as said before we are ALIENS and always will be but i always have the last laugh because i have 2 things they will never have of mine, a passport to the world and bucket-loads of money, so while they are sitting around eating their paint stripping food, drinking their backyard blinding alcohol, watching their mind numming ghost soaps on TV i will be elsewhere living it up. Let them say all they want or snicker and laugh because i know exactly what they are saying but i will leave and they will stay in their shit holes.

• Like 1

It seems, to me at least, that we naturally evaluate situations based our own cultural upbringings, experience and perhaps even biases. When we do that we can find ourselves offended by what seem to be personal slights. I suggest that we do remember that this is a different and separate culture, and if we are to maintain a reasonable course in life we might wish to either let those minor irritants that started the OP slide off our backs, or else correct with a smile and humor.

We will continue to be, especially if we reside in the hinterlands away from the big city, a subject of continued curiosity and interest. And often, even tasks and issues that we consider ordinary and mundane end up as subjects of intense discussions among our local friends, family and neighbors.

Understanding Thai culture is way beyond my capability, but in saying that I do believe that it involves a deeper understanding than an ability to converse in Thai. That could be merely a step towards that understanding or not. I guess it is up to each of us.

The first neighbour walked in waiing me and asked my wife what my name was. I shouted, "ask me yourself". She said,"the farang can speak Thai hee hee".

I love that. Especially when you say " I understand. I can speak Thai" and then they say to a pal " He can speak Thai". and then proceed to have a conversation about me as if I'm not there. biggrin.png

They (Thais) are ignorant people, and as said before we are ALIENS and always will be but i always have the last laugh because i have 2 things they will never have of mine, a passport to the world and bucket-loads of money,

Yeah I'm sure Dhanin Chearavanont is just green with envy....

There are very few (if any) 2nd generation foreigners in Thailand that were born here and speak Thai as a first language (and I don't mean Leuk Kruengs). I say this to compare to most western countries that have dozens of nationalities that are 2nd or 10th generation and English is their first language.

Thailand is therefore a very non-cosmopolitan (read: essentially closed to the West until the Vietnam war) type country and its people are naïve in the ways of the outside world with regard to interracial communications and customs.

I believe that the vast majority of Thais (the educated class excepted) would find it relatively inconceivable that a foreigner would therefore want to learn Thai, or even be capable of learning Thai.

Back home in NZ I find nothing unusual in seeing Chinese, Africans, Dutch, Thais speaking pure Kiwi English - they're Kiwis after all, and were born in New Zealand. But how many children are born and live in Thailand that are pure Dutch, African, New Zealand (or whatever race) descent? I suspect my right hand would have sufficient fingers to count them.

Now.....if I was being served by a Thai in Central Festival or the local Thai market, and he/she addressed me in 100% pure unadulterated Kiwi English, complete with slang and inflection, well, it would blow my socks off.

EG, If they said "Sorry sport, yus'll have to hang around here for a few secs till the boss shows up 'cos the sodding computers thrown a wobbly and I can't open the till. Anyway, see them Aussies get creamed at the Cakebox last night....?"

So in the case of the OP, it's probably largely understandable that his neighbours (who presumably are unworldly to a large extent) get a shock/surprise when a white foreigner speaks Thai. To them, it's almost like an African meeting Livingstone in the jungle and Livingstone spoke perfect Swahili or whatever - the African would be as shocked as hell.

I've come across it and my Thai is very limited. I'm guilty of telling some of them (the ones that are a little rude with it, not just surprised) that Thai is now being taught in all the European schools and in 10 years Thailand will be flooded with Europeans that speak Thai.......and they believe me, bless them. thumbsup.gif

Your probably right though to a degree regarding thai being taught in every school in europe. Every country that offer native language schooling have teachers will teach thai as there plenty of thais all over europe...in sweden i would bet there is almost one in every school or more.

Usually, people are just interested and think it is pretty cool that a foreigner has learned Thai. I had it just last night--a guy at a shop was giggling as we talked and he said "how do you speak Thai so well?" I just said I am married to a Thai so I have to argue with her and Thai comes in handy!!!

I know it can feel like people are making fun of you (fair enough, some probably are), but usually they just think it is neat and they weren't expecting it.

When people say stuff like "look, the falang is cooking BBQ" or whatever, I just make a joke like "yup, we have BBQ in falangland, too." Lame, but usually gets a laugh and let's them know I can speak. Normally they will be more careful after that.

My wife tells me they do it because they think it's great that you can do that (whatever it is) and she's been telling me that for years. I'v given up giving her examples of ....if it were her in my country how would she like it?

so I'm back to my old reliable words of wisdom.......Don't ask!

I was invited to a little get together in the common area of the housing estate where I live on New Year's eve. I just popped along to show community spirit but stayed for only half an hour as it is not my scene. My excuse for leaving was that I had guests coming later. In my short time there, the fellow who arranged the party started speaking to me in understandable but poor English and so I answered in the same language. We had never previously spoken. While we were talking, another neighbour came along and started speaking to me in Thai about a subject of mutual interest (we had previously spoken so she knew I could talk the language). This embarrassed the host quite a bit, and he quickly trotted off asking some of the other guests (in my listening distance) why they did not tell him "the farang" spoke Thai.

Was I wrong for not letting the host know I could speak Thai, was the other guest wrong for using Thai when I was speaking to the host in English, was the host wrong for calling me farang, were the other guests, some of whom know I speak the language, wrong for not letting him know? What a conundrum. laugh.png

I get a bit fed up of being discussed like a clever dog doing tricks. biggrin.png

Yes he can eat spicy seems to come up often.

Add, 'Yes, and I can can lick my own balls' to the rich lexicon of 'how to one-up a Thai at their own lingo'.

Seriously, the OP should now enough by now that even if he had a Masters in Thai language, it is still THEIR language and they will always have the last word. Better to keep mum about understanding the language and make your own 'black list' of rude and ignorant guests so that you can tell the wife who is off the invite list for the next, "let's go and poke fun at the funny farang in his house" night out.

What for you might be rude, for others is not.... as simple as this!

I find the opposite to be true. I was at a Thai funeral and cracked out a massive stinky fart when the abbot was chanting. To cover my embarrassment I turned to the big-haired Khunying next to me. said " Do you mind auntie there's no need for that" and started to wave a lit incense stick about while making over the top gagging and retching sounds. I know it was going downhill when the abbot gave up on the Pali and shouted " Christ that reeks" and passed out. It was all to no avail as I'd also "followed through" as it were and there was a nice brown stain on my kecks

They didn't like that...............

Classy...

• Like 1

I am an American living in Thailand....my neighbor is an Englishman.

When I bought the property next to him ... I went by to introduce myself and say "Hi"........his FIRST words to me were "I hear your a man not to be Trusted"

Not attempting to hijack this thread, but there must be more to this story. What had he heard about you?

Maybe nothing,... and maybe not....who knows?

Could be that the English guy didn't want to have any contact at all with foreigners or neighbors (the reason why he left UK?) and he knew that by making such a remark he'd alienate himself. Who'd want to bother with anyone that came out with such a remark?

If so, he achieved his objective as the friendly US neighbor hasn't spoken to him since in 3 years!

• Like 1

We just had a New Year's and New House celebration.

Made some friends with the neighbors and a friendly Thai guy helped me to walk, while I helped him to get from A to B. Too much alcohol made our feet pretty much worthless.

Then some funny conversations in English, his first lesson....My friend I......

Nobody was surprised that I could speak "their" language. Can't believe that Thais ( In my area) would even be surprised when a foreigner makes BBQ?

Wish all of you a very good and successful New Year 2014.-wai.gif

I find it quite funny. Never had anyone trying to break my windows and tell me to "go home and multiply"

In my little corner of Surin I find most people are genuinely curious, friendly, very surprised and pleased that I can speak a little and make the effort to fit in. I love it here and have made it my home, with a holiday condo in Pratumnak to mix things up a bit. Fantastic way of life and miss very little about the UK or any of the other countries I've lived in.

Never liked the expat Benidorm, Malaga....want everything British but in the sun mentality.....happy, happy, happy :-)

• Like 1

This was a nice topic to started the New Year!...specially...because the answers! I am glad to see many responses talking about...how FARANGS can be rude interacting with Thai people....They may be guest in our HOUSE...we are guest in its COUNTRY.....and very few do not like us here....very few do not like to be friends with us.....and many few do not show appreciation for our respect to their traditions...and..most of all...to their SIMPLICITY and way of life. LEARN TO LIVE....LIVE TO LEARN.....AND BE HAPPY IN 2014!

Edited by umbanda

Neeranam - you have to accept that we English speakers enjoy the luxury of having the international language. We find it normal for foreigners of all races to speak English. You and I would not be in the least surprised to hear an Eskimo (I know that's now a politically incorrect term now, but I'm old school), speak English.

But I'd suggest to you that we would both be a little surprised to hear an Eskimo speak Thai. A Thai would be no more shocked at hearing an Eskimo speak Thai as hearing you speak Thai. Probably less so, because an Eskimo does look slightly Asian.

Note: Absolutely no racial slurs are implied in the above.

Yes, I agree with your observations. I do understand WHY this happens. The main question is what do we do when it happens. Smile and say nothing?

If you can speak Thai then use a bit of humour to serve up a witty comeback that will break the ice and let them gently know how stupid they sound! :)

Unbelievable, after all the crap we get on this forum from the poor little dears who are deeply offended when called Farang......

A Thai lady goes to the trouble of asking the name of a Farang, with, one might expect, the intention of using it......

What does she get, the farang suggesting she should have asked him and not his wife because he speaks Thai! Then when the lady comments that he speaks Thai, he takes offence! Could you not have joined the conversation by repeating your name enquiring the same from her!

No bloody wonder farangs have such a piss poor reputation! Do you not realise the starting point of a good party is to ensure people feel relaxed when they first arrive as they are usually a little nervous?

This woman certainly wasn't nervous, she was rude - she was acting as if I weren't there. Once she knew I could speak Thai, she continued talking about me and the other foreigners there.

I agree, it's rude. I've experienced it too. Some Thais (not many) are ignorant and racist. Just avoid them and you'll be fine. Oh, and don't get yourself worked up over it as you're only hurting yourself. Just shrug and stop thinking about it (one good thing I've learnt from Thais).