The Farang Can Speak Thai Hee Hee

Neeranam

I think it apt ....

funny how most Americans are ashamed of being American .... and then full of bluster ... and as to crude and insensitive behavour ... that's super rich ... and the punishment, a preemptive drone strike in the middle of the night ... by now you should have deduced as to why Americans have the nickname 'septic tanks' ... how else do you think they are arrived at ...

Well, kid when I medevaced Aussie troops in Vietnam they didn't call me Septic Tank! But that's not really the point. The point is being called Farang is very low on the insult scale where as Septic Tank is very high.

You've never met me. You don't know how many Aussie lives I have saved. Still you are ready to insult me just because of my nationality. What kind of a person does that make you? In comparison Thais are very polite, eh mate?

Well, an Aussie is hardly likely to use Cockney rhyming slang, hence the reason.

And, we call our friends across the water Septics, not the full version.

What do you think? We are not bright enough to know what Septic means? It makes no sense unless you couple it with Tank or alone it means bad infection wow nice eh?

And when called on the rude word the first Aussie says well well Americans are 'funny how most Americans are ashamed of being American and.... a preemptive drone strike in the middle of the night ... by now you should have deduced as to why Americans have the nickname 'septic tanks''

Completely oblivious to the point of the post. That defense of a racist or nationalist slur; is not that it is true.

The point is that Australians posting on Thai Visa treat Americans much more contempt than Thai people treat Farangs. And you expect Americans to ignore it or pretend they don't know what it means?

The American can speak Australian hee hee!

Edited by thailiketoo

I thought he was going to say that, after he went back to the auto repair shop -- where he had dropped-off the car off at noon --following his leisurely haircut, that the repair guys had then taken a 2-hour lunch break and told him: Don't worry ... you're next.

• Like 1

Thais have very little social skills - as we from the west would view it.

Case and point: I was invited along to my Thai-Swedish friends' aunt's house for the Chinese "ancestor honoring day" (20 Aug). Luckily for me, unluckily for them, the focus was not so much on the strange farang that was hanging around (me biggrin.png ) but on the two "luek-krueng" family members.

The aunt made sure that every single visitor that day was well informed as to her niece and nephew's heritage and she would loudly explain it in Thai to such an over-exaggerated degree that even I could understand (with my extremely limited Thai).

From what I could comprehend of the aunt's speech she would loudly insist to every visitor that the two were not Thai, but luek-kruengs - pretty pathetic I think when your own family discriminates against you based on your heritage.

Needless to say I felt extremely sorry for my friends, whom I could see were made very uncomfortable by their aunt's descriptions of them.

For this reason my two friends avoid their aunt's house like the plague but Thai culture and respect forces them to have to go there from time to time for certain rituals/honorings and each time they come back they're utterly miserable.

So I was just glad that this time I was on hand to give some moral support thumbsup.gif

you really dont know do you i have dutch man friend who can speak better thai than them,he told me one day i wish i never learn it because i hear what thai people think of farang,he said it digust him because he has thai lady and he supports her, which 99% of thai men cant do she has better life with him.

Yup have some fluent friends with exactly the same sentiments!

I get a bit fed up of being discussed like a clever dog doing tricks. biggrin.png

Yes he can eat spicy seems to come up often.

Ah I love the spicy food test!

When meeting a whole table-full of new Thais who instantly plop a bowl of Tom Yum in front of me and then start watching expectantly, I have found this one to be a winner:

Take a big spoonful of soup and swallow it down. Start clutching your throat in panic and make gagging sounds. Move it up a notch by clutching your heart/chest and making choking sounds. Add further credibility by falling off the chair or slumping forward onto the table.

Watch them panic as they start wondering if they've just killed you.

Then start laughing, assure them you're okay and just joking, and order another bottle of SangSom - priceless! cheesy.gif

Unbelievable, after all the crap we get on this forum from the poor little dears who are deeply offended when called Farang......

A Thai lady goes to the trouble of asking the name of a Farang, with, one might expect, the intention of using it......

What does she get, the farang suggesting she should have asked him and not his wife because he speaks Thai! Then when the lady comments that he speaks Thai, he takes offence! Could you not have joined the conversation by repeating your name enquiring the same from her!

No bloody wonder farangs have such a piss poor reputation! Do you not realise the starting point of a good party is to ensure people feel relaxed when they first arrive as they are usually a little nervous?

Heads up all, the perfect one has spoken.

I think it apt ....

funny how most Americans are ashamed of being American .... and then full of bluster ... and as to crude and insensitive behavour ... that's super rich ... and the punishment, a preemptive drone strike in the middle of the night ... by now you should have deduced as to why Americans have the nickname 'septic tanks' ... how else do you think they are arrived at ...

Well, kid when I medevaced Aussie troops in Vietnam they didn't call me Septic Tank! But that's not really the point. The point is being called Farang is very low on the insult scale where as Septic Tank is very high.

You've never met me. You don't know how many Aussie lives I have saved. Still you are ready to insult me just because of my nationality. What kind of a person does that make you? In comparison Thais are very polite, eh mate?

Well, an Aussie is hardly likely to use Cockney rhyming slang, hence the reason.

What do you think? We are not bright enough to know what Septic means? It makes no sense unless you couple it with Tank or alone it means bad infection wow nice eh?

And when called on the rude word the first Aussie says well well Americans are 'funny how most Americans are ashamed of being American and.... a preemptive drone strike in the middle of the night ... by now you should have deduced as to why Americans have the nickname 'septic tanks''

Completely oblivious to the point of the post. That defense of a racist or nationalist slur; is not that it is true.

The point is that Australians posting on Thai Visa treat Americans much more contempt than Thai people treat Farangs. And you expect Americans to ignore it or pretend they don't know what it means?

I am somewhat confused where the Australian part comes from? Cockney Ryhming Slang, originates from London. It is a most colorful slang, maybe you should have a look at it, before you get your nappies in a twist. There are many different names that the Aussies have for the Brits, and vice Versa. Some of my friends from the States actually thought it was quite amusing when we were talking about Cockney Rhyming slang, and the name we give them. Really, it's not racist.

You have no need to be ashamed of being American however, why should you be? You do seem a somewhat sensitive soul though.

I think the OP is actually Scottish as well FYI.

A POM.

• Like 1

Unbelievable, after all the crap we get on this forum from the poor little dears who are deeply offended when called Farang......

A Thai lady goes to the trouble of asking the name of a Farang, with, one might expect, the intention of using it......

What does she get, the farang suggesting she should have asked him and not his wife because he speaks Thai! Then when the lady comments that he speaks Thai, he takes offence! Could you not have joined the conversation by repeating your name enquiring the same from her!

No bloody wonder farangs have such a piss poor reputation! Do you not realise the starting point of a good party is to ensure people feel relaxed when they first arrive as they are usually a little nervous?

Heads up all, the perfect one has spoken.

He is the GUru of all things Thai.

I think it apt ....

Sorry that Daniel offended you so deeply. He's a young 'un and used the full, two-word COCKNEY RHYMING SLANG which as anyone knows, including most (more wordly) Americans, has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do where one keeps their sh!t.

He should have used the more common, less offensive, shortened version. So I will do it instead.

You sir, are a septic.

You're missing the point. I don't have a problem being called a Sh** house. They guy who started this thread is an Aussie. He calls Yanks, Septic Tanks and does not think that is offensive. You don't think it is offensive. You gotta be kidding me! Farang means white guy in Thailand. You two guys have hurled more offense at me in a couple of posts than all the Thai guys at the OP's party.

You all are ten times more offensive. You should realize you are the pot calling the kettle black. I call Thais, Thai and Australians, Australians and Canadians, Canadians. I don't think of cute offensive words having to do with feces to call anyone.

Septic Tank is common parlance in Australia as Farang is common parlance in Thailand. Australia is common parlance in America. Face it. Your speech is far more crude and insulting than Thai speech.

Suggest you haul your septic ass down to Ban Chang, you can meet up with your alter ego, CMK, KerryK history prof or whatever other nom de plumes he posted under.

Different user name same shit.

• Like 1

I am somewhat confused where the Australian part comes from? Cockney Ryhming Slang, originates from London. It is a most colorful slang, maybe you should have a look at it, before you get your nappies in a twist. There are many different names that the Aussies have for the Brits, and vice Versa. Some of my friends from the States actually thought it was quite amusing when we were talking about Cockney Rhyming slang, and the name we give them. Really, it's not racist.

You have no need to be ashamed of being American however, why should you be? You do seem a somewhat sensitive soul though.

I think the OP is actually Scottish as well FYI.

A POM.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=seppo

Derogertory word used by the English and Australians for all American nationals. Derived from Rhyming slang (Septic Tank = Yank)

My point was an Aussie was upset about being called a Farang when he called many nationalities much worse as a matter of course.

I am an American living in Thailand....my neighbor is an Englishman.

When I bought the property next to him ... I went by to introduce myself and say "Hi"........his FIRST words to me were "I hear your a man not to be Trusted"

Not attempting to hijack this thread, but there must be more to this story. What had he heard about you?

Yes there is....to make a long story short ....I used to live elsewhere in the neighborhood and there is another farang (Swiss) who thinks of himself as a big shot wheeler dealer....well ...I got the better of him once on a deal and he since bad mouthed me (not a problem though as he was a-hole and I didn't have to speak to him anymore either)

Point being is that the Englishman, who I used to just waive at, took the Swiss man's word...(didn't want to hear both sides of the story and THEN make a judgement)

if it were me .......I give people a chance and make my own judgement based on their interaction with me not hearsay from others.

You're not still in Kindergarten by any chance?....oooh, i'm not speaking to you, and you, and you.

Just go see the Brit, and say "I think we started off on the wrong foot, can we start again", be a man about it, life's too short....

Sorry that Daniel offended you so deeply. He's a young 'un and used the full, two-word COCKNEY RHYMING SLANG which as anyone knows, including most (more wordly) Americans, has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do where one keeps their sh!t.

He should have used the more common, less offensive, shortened version. So I will do it instead.

You sir, are a septic.

You're missing the point. I don't have a problem being called a Sh** house. They guy who started this thread is an Aussie. He calls Yanks, Septic Tanks and does not think that is offensive. You don't think it is offensive. You gotta be kidding me! Farang means white guy in Thailand. You two guys have hurled more offense at me in a couple of posts than all the Thai guys at the OP's party.

You all are ten times more offensive. You should realize you are the pot calling the kettle black. I call Thais, Thai and Australians, Australians and Canadians, Canadians. I don't think of cute offensive words having to do with feces to call anyone.

Septic Tank is common parlance in Australia as Farang is common parlance in Thailand. Australia is common parlance in America. Face it. Your speech is far more crude and insulting than Thai speech.

Suggest you haul your septic ass down to Ban Chang, you can meet up with your alter ego, CMK, KerryK history prof or whatever other nom de plumes he posted under.

Touched a nerve did I? When you can't refute the argument the only recourse is to attack the poster.

You can dish it out but you can't take it. Thais call an Aussie Farang, and the world stops. Aussies call another nationality a Septic Tank and it's supposed to be understood as harmless rhyming slang.

Well tell me which is less reprehensible, Farang or Septic Tank? Or are both impolite at the very least?

Edited by thailiketoo

When I bought the property next to him ... I went by to introduce myself and say "Hi"........his FIRST words to me were "I hear your a man not to be Trusted"

So you see, rudeness spans the world ....and ignorance is not limited to Thai's

PS ...I haven't spoken to the ignorant rude Englishman since then (3 years)

Oh dear. Touchy American who doesn't understand British humour. (Spelt with 2 U's). tongue.png

To answer Kerrys post #195,

Touched a nerve did I?

No raw nerve touched here, prior to washing up on these shores I worked along side septics for 15 years, it didnt bother me when they called me a Limey, it didnt bother them when I called them a septic.

The only ones it bothered were good ole southern boys,when they were referred to as yanks but thats a topic for another thread.

When you can't refute the argument the only recourse is to attack the poster.

<deleted> Kerry, its the New Year, how about some new stories?

You can dish it out but you can't take it.

Please try again, I have a thick skin and broad shoulders, as for not being able to take it, I took better than your posts and gave it back, no-one gives a shit, its nothing more than harmless banter.

Sounds to me as if you have the chip on your shoulder.

Aussies call another nationality a Septic Tank and it's supposed to be understood as harmless rhyming slang.

Because thats exaclty what it is, if you dont understand it, its your problem, not mine or the Ozzies..

The Ozzies are some of the best people I have worked with, they aint stuck up their own ass and at least they have a sense of humour.

Well tell me which is less reprehensible, Farang or Septic Tank? Or are both impolite at the very least?

Thankfully as a non septic I dont have to worry about such things.

As a farang living in Thailand, I personally dont give two hoots what a septic or Ozzy refers to me as.

Nothing impolite about septic, its all in your head, are you a wannabe Brit per chance?

• Like 2

You sir, are a septic.

Touched a nerve did I? When you can't refute the argument the only recourse is to attack the poster.

You can dish it out but you can't take it. Thais call an Aussie Farang, and the world stops. Aussies call another nationality a Septic Tank and it's supposed to be understood as harmless rhyming slang.

I think Sepo is better.

A Farang.

• Like 1

balo, on 01 Jan 2014 - 18:51, said:

Maybe you just met the wrong uneducated Thais .

Or, Maybe you need some valium to relax.

Life is short, my friend, enjoy it as much as you can.

Try to adjust to the "Mai Ben Rai" culture.

No Valium needed. I Live Life on Life's Terms. Happy, Joyous and Free! Mai Pen Rai.

At times like this I get on my own and listen to Marillion from Script to FUGAZI)....or Slipknot (far better for venting)...sorts me right out than having to think about relocating as some members have said......

Personally I prefer, Motorhead No sleep Til Hammersmiff, Hawkwind Space Ritual or Pink Faires Live at The Roundhouse.

Please note no septics were hurt or referred to in the abvove post, to confirm I will need to listen to Cold Chisel Swingshift tomorrow to ensure Kerry isnt offended.

So you see, rudeness spans the world ....and ignorance is not limited to Thai's

PS ...I haven't spoken to the ignorant rude Englishman since then (3 years)

I bet he comes from Yorkshire.

You can tell a Yorkshire man - but not much...

You sir, are a septic.

Did you work in a merchant bank?

I can understand you might not like septic tank as a phrase but it can be believe it or not, a mild term of endearment also.

I for my sins am welsh and did I take a teasing in school?

• Like 1

You and I would not be in the least surprised to hear an Eskimo (I know that's now a politically incorrect term now, but I'm old school)

It is? :huh:

dam_n, I must have missed the latest edition of 2014 PC Nonsense for Everyday Blandness and Obedience.

The postman is a Thai, so he probably lost it or stole it en route.

With your attitude,I would have binned it.

This was in the OP's own house so I do have a smidgeon of sympathy for him. Thai etiquette like anywhere else dictates that you show some respect for the home owner. I have to admit that the first time it happened to me I was quite put out, thinking I was being treated like an object of curiosity in my own home. But after discussing it with some Thai colleagues, I took their advice the next time and just slowly turned my back on the people and walked away and never even looked at them again or react to anything involving them, and then pointedly moved away when they said their goodbyes. It probably reinforced their belief about the strangeness of foreigners, of course. The wife wasn't happy, but it was better than me getting upset over people who ultimately are irrelevant and will likely never play any part in my life. The other side of the coin is that most people who have been to my house (houses) have been fine, sometimes brilliant - I prefer to think about them and the good times.

So one small mistake and you burn people,very quick judgement there matey.Give people a bit more time to make dickheads of themselves before you give em the big A.

Thai is a language only spoken in one country (Laos being a minor exception). Thailand has had minimal exposure to foreign languages outside the tourist areas. Thais never see foreigners on TV speaking Thai. They never see programmes, news articles, or sports events from foreign sources spoken or narrated in Thai by foreigners.

There are very few (if any) 2nd generation foreigners in Thailand that were born here and speak Thai as a first language (and I don't mean Leuk Kruengs). I say this to compare to most western countries that have dozens of nationalities that are 2nd or 10th generation and English is their first language.

Thailand is therefore a very non-cosmopolitan (read: essentially closed to the West until the Vietnam war) type country and its people are naïve in the ways of the outside world with regard to interracial communications and customs.

I believe that the vast majority of Thais (the educated class excepted) would find it relatively inconceivable that a foreigner would therefore want to learn Thai, or even be capable of learning Thai.

Back home in NZ I find nothing unusual in seeing Chinese, Africans, Dutch, Thais speaking pure Kiwi English - they're Kiwis after all, and were born in New Zealand. But how many children are born and live in Thailand that are pure Dutch, African, New Zealand (or whatever race) descent? I suspect my right hand would have sufficient fingers to count them.

Now.....if I was being served by a Thai in Central Festival or the local Thai market, and he/she addressed me in 100% pure unadulterated Kiwi English, complete with slang and inflection, well, it would blow my socks off.

EG, If they said "Sorry sport, yus'll have to hang around here for a few secs till the boss shows up 'cos the sodding computers thrown a wobbly and I can't open the till. Anyway, see them Aussies get creamed at the Cakebox last night....?"

So in the case of the OP, it's probably largely understandable that his neighbours (who presumably are unworldly to a large extent) get a shock/surprise when a white foreigner speaks Thai. To them, it's almost like an African meeting Livingstone in the jungle and Livingstone spoke perfect Swahili or whatever - the African would be as shocked as hell.

I've come across it and my Thai is very limited. I'm guilty of telling some of them (the ones that are a little rude with it, not just surprised) that Thai is now being taught in all the European schools and in 10 years Thailand will be flooded with Europeans that speak Thai.......and they believe me, bless them. thumbsup.gif

Of all the crap that gets posted on here, this just proves there is a needle in a haystack.

Bloody brilliant post, I enjoyed reading it all and agreed with it especially the Aussies getting creamed at the Cakebox..... (no idea without googling cakebox..sports stadium?) (I'm English)

The points about Thais were interesting too.. laugh.png

Going rough mate,getting your kicks via the Kiwi's,4-0.It was a good post.

I don't say or do anything anymore when I meet the world famous thai ignorance. They are like that, they are not even aware of it therefore there is no chance they are going to change. They hurt themselves not me.

How can they hurt themselves when they are unaware.Ignorance is bliss.

I really enjoy reading some of the witticism ... and being an Aussie, I am well balanced, I have a chip on each shoulder, one doesn't like septic tanks and the other, pommies ...

and if you want to know the definition of gross ignorance ... its 144 Australians ...

you know, most of you blokes (ex-pats) are unique ... a breed of your own, with more in common than separates you ...

I look forward to bumping into you, so you can buy me a beer ...

Septic tank sounds a bit offensive. How about if Aussies and Brits should now be referred to as "Turd Sniffers"