Is The Hangover 2 the second worst farang film about Bkk ever?

thaibeachlovers

The Hangover 2 was funny in parts, it's hardly billed as high end entertainment, it's crass and crude, but the viewer should know that. I don't think it was as good as the first one, but certainly better than the third. Only the opening scenes in part 3 with Chow escaping Klong Prem, The giraffe and subsequent funeral were funny IMO, the rest dross. Bangkok Dangerous was OK, but certainly nothing special. However Stephen Segal has done a few Bangkok based movies, and they are really poor.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed The Tesseract.

This may have a lot to do with the director, Oxide Pang, rather than the original book.

BTW, for those who don't already know, the book is set in Manila but Pang switched the location to Bangkok for the film.

Yeah.

Don't ya just hate it when Oxide does that ;-?

Not really; but I am a great fan of his, and his brother's, work.

He is not the only director to have made substantial changes to his source material.

thaibeachlovers, you should see the film if you have the chance.

Edited to add quote.

Edited by 7by7

I watched 5 minutes of each movie mentioned, that says enough.

Now Red Rock West with Nicolas Cage and Dennis Hopper was something, from there on easy to mention Blue Velvet with Dennis Hopper from director David Lynch, last one is in my top 10.

Gasp, puff, puff, (wheeze)

Only Gob Forgives (yeah, the obligatory Thai BG character and a perpetually stunned looking Cage. Was that the one which he croaked his way through trying to imitate Buddy Holly ???? What a waste of Kathleen Turner.

Anyway, that oleaginous miasma of that piece of dreck gets to me even now. As with the Beach I can never remember what they finally decided to call that garbled pastiche of cutting room floor detritus.

But !!!!!Yeah!!!!! For damned sure. Thank you for Red Rock West.

Downloading it NOW. And Blue Velvet with that nude shot of Isabella Rossalini's real woman's curves and unshaven pubis hanging out for all to see.

Isabella naked scares the hell out of a lot of our local expat shaven mavens.

Brilliant movie as well.

I have a feeling we are crossing wires when it comes to seeing a movie on the big screen as opossed to watching a movie at home on a Sunday night. I would not bother with Hangover or Bkk Dangerous on the big screen ever although they were ok on the telly and good it cost nothing to watch them.

To OP you obviously know very little about movies or movie making, there are so many bad movies made in Bangkok, go watch Ryan Gosling's train wreck, 'Only God Forgives', and that 'Street Fighter' movie was another embarrassing piece of crap. I could name more, but can't be bothered.

The demographic target for the Hangover movies is well below the average age of Thai Visa members.

The opinions are not unexpected.

I hear Ben Hur was a pretty good movie....probably more the kind of movie for crusty TV members with no sense of humor.

• Like 1

Kickboxer with jean claude vandamme i was ashamed to be Belgian god that guy made some crap movies.

Jealous much? name some of the movies you've made, I'm excited to see what movies a genius like you has produced.

Kickboxer with jean claude vandamme i was ashamed to be Belgian god that guy made some crap movies.

Jealous much? name some of the movies you've made, I'm excited to see what movies a genius like you has produced.

Nah he doesnt live far from me so i can say it in his face if i think one of his movies suck.

That's the second time you've posted such a comment.

Yet you also post comments like

To OP you obviously know very little about movies or movie making, there are so many bad movies made in Bangkok, go watch Ryan Gosling's train wreck, 'Only God Forgives', and that 'Street Fighter' movie was another embarrassing piece of crap. I could name more, but can't be bothered.

So tell us, what films have you made?

Film makers make their films not only for people to watch and enjoy, but to make money.

That money comes from the people who pay to see the film; in the cinema, on DVD, on subscription TV.

As I am paying the film maker, I have the right to say whether or not I enjoyed the film; whether I thought it a work of genius or whether I thought, in your words, it was an embarrassing piece of crap.

• Like 1

That's the second time you've posted such a comment.

Yet you also post comments like

So tell us, what films have you made?

Film makers make their films not only for people to watch and enjoy, but to make money.

That money comes from the people who pay to see the film; in the cinema, on DVD, on subscription TV.

As I am paying the film maker, I have the right to say whether or not I enjoyed the film; whether I thought it a work of genius or whether I thought, in your words, it was an embarrassing piece of crap.

So what, I'm not even talking to you, are you the OP? btw you just said it, we are all entitled to our opinion, so I gave mine. Plus I'm not the one saying an enjoyable, funny, or entertaining move was crap, like mr brussels is above.

The OP clearly knows little about Thailand, nor the Thai film industry, it's clear where he gets his info from.......

I'd say try some decent Thai film like Nang Nak, (Nonzee Nimibutr's version) or Suriyothai (not the Copoplla <deleted> up version which is the work of a cretin..........

Nah he doesnt live far from me so i can say it in his face if i think one of his movies suck.

You live in California? yeah I'm sure you easily could, that's why you have done so already right? you would get a swift kick in the head. wink.png

The OP clearly knows little about Thailand, nor the Thai film industry, it's clear where he gets his info from.......

I'd say try some decent Thai film like Nang Nak, (Nonzee Nimibutr's version) or Suriyothai (not the Copoplla <deleted> up version which is the work of a cretin..........

He does say in the topic title that he is talking about Farang, i.e. foreign, films.

If you want to discuss Thai films that's a whole different topic, and I'll gladly join you in so doing.

You live in California? yeah I'm sure you easily could, that's why you have done so already right? you would get a swift kick in the head. wink.png

He moved back to Belgium a few years ago smart arse he lives with his wife Gladys Portugese in a town called Knokke by the Belgian coast his mother and father also live in said town two weeks after moving back here he parked his suv drunk in to a tree it was al over the news here. Edited by Kudel

I am not a country and western fan,I detest it.

However I can not sit here and say a famous western song is not good because I don't like it,it's not good for me,to millions it is.

The world revolves around the sun,remember that,not each of us.

One man likes the hangover,another loves it,another loathes it,who is right,all three that's who unless they start saying their opinions the right one.

Nicholas Cage ? Ugly, balding, utterly over-rated Nicholas Cage (Cappola) How 'bout the utterly moronic "The Island" ? With astronomically over-rated cardigan model Leonardo DiCaprio ? (Helluva ladies' man they say ;;-) This stinker was pieced together from an utterly incomprehensible novel written by a Kao San backpacker whose daddy, a cartoonist for some London Daily rag or other was owed favours by mates in publishing. Execrable. And they wonder why everyone downloads whatever they can.

Wasn't the Decaprio film,called the Beach?

Yes. The Island was Scarlett Johansson and the Scottish bloke from the newer Star Wars films..

The worst film about Bangkok is "Only God Forgives" (2013) Talk about being execrable, this film has to go down as the worst film ever made.

(Happy NewYear)

Responses like these are typical of people who take all films on face value. Some films can be taken that way but if you knew anything about Nicolas Winding Refn it's that's his movies usually contain a lot of underlying meanings and metaphorical references. Only God Forgives is no different. Personally I thought it was a work of art. Every scene and the accompanying soundtrack.
In short you have obviously not understood any of the movie. Allow me to educate you. You're welcome.

I actually think that films should be taken at face value.

For me, that's exactly what the genre is for. It allows a director to open a window for a very short time and what we see through that window should be framed exactly in that time frame.

So, if I have to research what the film is about before watching it, then to me, the director has failed.

I have seen Only God Forgives, and whilst some of the cinematography is quite beautiful (seedy beautiful is still beautiful), in my opinion it meanders quite painfully and doesn't have many of the ingredients which I appreciate in film, which includes the ability to tell a story.

Some of the Chinese films, for me, are better at the mixture of beauty, pain, desolation, and violence.

The other aspect of film, and indeed life, is that everyone appreciates things differently, so whilst you may find it to be a great example of cinematography, others won't enjoy it.

It's also possible to enjoy something that other people don't, without being unpleasant, or condescending about it.

You're also welcome.

• Like 1

Judge the film how you want although the reason I piped up is because someone who was obviously unable to understand the film was slating it.

In other words, you are an intelligent, discerning person and those who disagree with your taste in films, and probably everything else, are ignorant oafs!

I understood The Night Porter; but at the time thought it was boring rubbish. Still do.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

Judge the film how you want although the reason I piped up is because someone who was obviously unable to understand the film was slating it.

Has anyone - to date - mentioned that they didn't understand it?

Simply because others - including myself - disagree with you on the merits of this film, does not equate to them being stupid.

Different strokes for different folks and all that...

• Like 1

Maybe, before you criticize another person's efforts, think if you could do better. And if so, send your script in for consideration. Otherwise just shut-up and go back to your barstool at Nana.

Lots of investors are looking for great scripts if you have good ideas for a movie.

Yeah, that's where I get all my money.

Investors.

Treatments. That's what I do. I do, like, treatments.

Don't even have to know how to put a sentence together. These lne-ups of guys with wads of cash pokin' out of their Zegna's jus' beatin' each other over the head to scoop up my good ideas for movies.

An' when I'm not doin' treatments I handle cash placements for rich guys who don't have the imagination to pick their own stocks.

I put together portfolios for them.

Yeah, that's what I do.

And, um, teach a little English on the side.

And for those of you who are just dying to see Donnie say something a little over the top so y'all can get into one of them famous, world-reknowned Thai Visa group crap sessions . . . . . . . . Well, I was just being facetious up there.

I thought Lost in Translation was pretty boring. Also now that I have lived in Bangkok, I know the film is completely inaccurate - nothing like Bangkok at all.

euh that movie with Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansen was shot in Tokio Japan.
  • Like 1

OK, I am curious about English speaking movies set in Thailand, Philipines or any SE Asian country. What in your opinions are the good ones? They can be funny, crime or action, I have seen a few on this thread:

Hangover II - I thought it was funny and did enjoy it.

Bangkok Dangerous - Not a big fan of Nickolas Cage but I still liked it. Didn't know till today that this is a remake of a Thai Language movie

Bangkok Adrenaline _ thought it was silly and low budget but some parts cracked me up.

Bangkok Revenge - Jon Foo is amazing, very entertaining but that is about it.

So who has a list of good ones?

• Like 1

Back in the 1980s, Tom Hanks and John Candy made VOLUNTEERS, which is set in Thailand but filmed, I think, in Mexico. Pretty funny, but so politically incorrect that I'm afraid to show it to some of my Thai friends.