Non-Immigrant O versus Non-Immigrant O-A VISAs

Here in Seoul, at the local consulate - they have a sign stating the cost of the Non-Immigrant O-A VISA - no mention of the Non-Immigrant O VISA.

1) Is there a difference between the 2 VISAs?

2) When I move and plan to long stay (in the future) based on marriage - Will the Non-Immigrant O-A VISA be the right VISA I want or MUST it be the Non-Immigrant O VISA ONLY?

O? A? OA? Paperwork gets confusing sometimes.

Thanks!

Is there a LIMIT on how many Non-Immigrant O VISAs I can apply for?

I ask because, if my job here in Korea goes away - I will bre ready to move permanently to Thailand.

Lastly, how long is a Non-Immigrant O VISA valid for?

A fellow expat here said you apply for it, get it, then its good for a year. You can use it anytime within the 1 year time frame - AND you can use it to come into Thailand just for a visit before it expires, then return to South Korea and get another one. This would be handy in case (like I mentioned) my work here gets cut.

Non-Immigrant O VISA's come in two flavours !

A single entry visa provides a 90 day stay.

A multiple entry visa provides as many 90 day entries as are required over a 12 month period . Used correctly the visa will last for about 15 months

NB please not that multiple entry visas seem to be becoming difficult to obtain in some places

Thanks again gang, last question I hope:

If I get the single entry 90 day VISA. When does the 90 day countdown begin? The day the VISA is handed to me at the consulate or the first day I arrive into Thailand with it?

Sorry to ask these questions - but with the USA Government being broke - a lotta folks here are losing their jobs and being given only a weeks notice at most. I wanna have one of these VISAs in my pocket, ready to go if I ever get cut without warning.

An OA as stated before is a "Retirement" visa and you must be 50 years old to apply and normally it is only issued in your home country

But, if you qualify, and could get one in Korea, it is a better deal and is good for a two year stay if you exit and reenter at the end of the first year a few days before it's exp date.

Is there a LIMIT on how many Non-Immigrant O VISAs I can apply for?

I ask because, if my job here in Korea goes away - I will bre ready to move permanently to Thailand.

If you move permanently to Thailand and meet the requirements for either retirement or marriage to a Thai, you would not get new visas every year, you would apply for an extension of stay at Immigrations in Thailand. If you qualify, each extension is good for one year and as long as you continue to meet the requirements, you can get a new extension annually with no limit.

Either of the visas gets you in the country. Staying beyond the initial permission to stay, based on retirement, is done with annual extensions of stay.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know what to do will be moving to Thailand in the next few months and on arrival will be marrying a Thai lady and waiting for a container to arrive within the following 2 weeks. At the moment I have a Thai bank account with 400,000 bht in it in my name which is at her address. I am over 50yrs and currently living in Australia. My problem is what visa do I apply for in Australia.

That depends on the consulate where you will be applying. They set the requirements, but for a single non-O based on retirement you should be fine without the need to show 800,000 baht.

Check the website for the Thai consulate you will be applying to see their requirements. there are several in Australia and honorary consulates are normally less strict.

Call them or indeed visit them. (maybe also take a note form you wife to be confirming your marriage plans). Some consulates will insist on applying for an O-A visa and not a single non-O visa. If they refuse, try one of the honorary consulates in Oz, they accept mail in applications.

I live in Melbourne would it be advisable to visit the Thai Consulate here and ask them personally looking at the Embassy site is all to confusing for me

Yes contact the honorary consulate in Melbourne they will do a single entry non-o for being 50 or with no financial proof needed.