Renewing UK Driver License Photocard from Thailand

Hi,

So i need to renew my UK drivers license photocard as its about to expire in 4 months.

I have checked the website and it explains clearly how to do it. However, it says you must be a resident of the UK and prove your address for the past 3 years.

Of course, i live in Thailand and don't actually have an address in the UK, but i still have a UK bank account with my previous address assigned to it (i.e my dad's address)

Can anyone enlighten me about this?

Is my bank statement enough? (the website didn't say, or probably i didn't get that far)

Are we really not allowed to renew our license if we are no longer residents?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Water Buffalo

Afraid so, mine expired two months ago and I looked every which for options. The good news is that a five year Thai license does the same thing so I'm not too worried, the UK license itself doesn't truly expire until age 70+ hence if I ever move back between now and then, all I need do is update the picture from my new permanent address.

Unless you are a resident of Thailand (i.e. have permanent residency) then I understand it that we are still residents of our home country. I still have an address (my brother's) and bank account in the UK after 21 years in Thailand and I still state the UK as my country of residence on official forms. I do this as I am a 'guest' here on temporary one-year work visa (work permit), and which I am constantly reminded of. I would use your father's address. IMO they just want a contact address so that they can correspond with you. Email and ask them. Can do no harm.

Edited by Wiggy

I was going to renew mine despite not having a real address there, but seem to remember that some login/password was needed to the Government Gateway or some such. That involved letters back and forth and I couldn't be arsed. Then I wondered why I needed a UK license at all, I don't live there, can drive there on a Thai license in any case. And if disaster strikes and i ever have to live there again as it is only the card that expires, not the license, I'd renew it then.

If the renewal notice goes to you dad's house the you renew online with the ref off the form provided you have had a passport renewed in the last 5 years. The pictures comes from the passport. If not let it expire use your thai one and renew if and when you return to the UK. The paper counterfoil is valid to your 65th birthday.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Nonsense, doubtless you would like to apply that same logic to the NHS eligibility rules but not apply them to the tax residency rules!

No. For tax purposes I am 'Ordinarily Resident'. I also contribute to the NI State Pension, legally and fairly. I'm all above board.

Nonsense, doubtless you would like to apply that same logic to the NHS eligibility rules but not apply them to the tax residency rules!

No. For tax purposes I am 'Ordinarily Resident'. I also contribute to the NI State Pension, legally and fairly. I'm all above board.

That makes a big difference to the argument.biggrin.png

As far as i'm aware if you have renewed your passport in the last 5 years DVLA can use the bio details (photo) to prepare your new licence (ID checks an' all that). I haven't put this to the test yet but have spoken to a fellow resident who claims he has.

HTH

im going back to the uk for 1 month in apriland i sent my renewal to my friend to post it off to swansea, its not had time to arrive yet but im assuming there wont be a problem if the worst happens i can drive on my thai licence, but not sure if i'll have any probs with insurance, ive already told my pal to buy a car for me cos im taking my son with me and want to visit a variety of places.

Renewed my UK DL in 2012, online from Thailand. Address I gave was my mum's even though I've never actually lived at that address. Photo was retrieved from my passport renewal 3 years earlier. No problems - mum just posted the licence on to me when it arrived.

Renewed my UK DL in 2012, online from Thailand. Address I gave was my mum's even though I've never actually lived at that address. Photo was retrieved from my passport renewal 3 years earlier. No problems - mum just posted the licence on to me when it arrived.

Do you need a special access code to be able to renew online?

Likewise I did mine online in 2012 as my photo had expired, No problems encountered and they used my passport photo which they accessed online I presume from a government office, the only sting was the £20 fee!

I use my UK license when visiting as I hire a car I have been told (though not tried it) that using a foreign license attracts higher charges.

Likewise I did mine online in 2012 as my photo had expired, No problems encountered and they used my passport photo which they accessed online I presume from a government office, the only sting was the £20 fee!

I use my UK license when visiting as I hire a car I have been told (though not tried it) that using a foreign license attracts higher charges.

Do you have a link for the online renewal site?

BTW, using a Thai license doesn't necessarily attract higher rental costs, I've rented using both at different times and the costs were the same.

UK DL Online renewal link:-

https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

Thanks, I just gave renewal a shot, be interesting to see what address checks they do.

Hi chiang mai,

I too am very interested to see if you have a result here. I am 20 years here in Thailand and still have the old paper license, but wish to update. Using a friends address would be ok ?

Regards

Thanks, I just gave renewal a shot, be interesting to see what address checks they do.

I did it a few months back. Ticked the box USE passport photo. Paid by direct debit.

No documentation needed at all (apart from passport number so they can use the photo).

As long as you are using a real UK residential address no problems and very fast.

Edited by FiftyTwo

Hi chiang mai,

I too am very interested to see if you have a result here. I am 20 years here in Thailand and still have the old paper license, but wish to update. Using a friends address would be ok ?

Regards

Well they issued me with a gateway ID, and took payment from my credit card, two days later I checked the status of the application via the gateway program and it said the card had been issued, pretty quick! I'll wait a week for Royal Mail to do its thing (!!!) and then I'll check with my sister to see if the license has been received and report back.

I still have a up to date UK License and card [Cousins UK address] lived overseas for over 30 years

I do wonder about my next renewal ? will be 65.. also my German, Nederlands, French, Portuguess and Thai Driving Licenses all need to be renewed at age 65..

The link posted above looks to be now aged 70 in the UK, is it a pain renewing at this age in any of these Countries ?

• 1 year later...

My UK driver license expires next year, when I reach age 70. I have needed it several times here in Thailand as secondary photo ID (passport is primary). For example, I could not have opened a bank account without it. I think I will have a lot of problems when I no longer have the license as ID. But apparently I cannot renew it as I have no address in UK. I don't have any friends there, and my sister has not spoken to me for years. What (if anything) can I do?

Edited by roberta