Some interesting statistics about Brits retiring to LOS

SebD

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'seediest place you have never heard of'! Oh come on, loads of Brits have been to Pattaya, and not just the pensioners and sex tourists. Whole report seems a few years out of date.

Good point.

Maybe Cameron and his lot are giving us all the hint (to clear off as we approach retirement).

Well spotted ( I must be going soft not to have seen that, myself).smile.png

• Like 2

Beggar me.

Sorry for even bringing it up.

Don't shoot the messenger (I just thought some might be interested in seeing how LOS and Pattaya in particular are currently being promulgated on nationwide TV in the UK this evening).

I guess I hadn't allowed for all you jaded ex-pats' input and your defensive responses..

Talk about a couple of stereotypes.laugh.png

Beggar me.

Don't shoot the messenger (I just thought some might be interested in seeing how LOS and Pattaya in particular are currently being promulgated on nationwide TV in the UK this evening).

I guess I hadn't allowed for all you jaded ex-pats' input and your defensive responses..

I don't think anyone was having a go at you.

SC

• Like 1

Beggar me.

I don't think anyone was having a go at you.

SC

Well it certainly seemed so (hardly a wow and a welcome).

I took the ruddy trouble to post this and .......just negativity resulted - in only two sad posts.

The customer is always wrong, here, I guess.

Do you guys here have anything "nice" to say about anyone and/or anything?

Edited by SebD

Thanks for posting Seb, I agree the article was very lightweight but that's a reflection on C4 journalism, not you! As someone else said, the article seems to be quite out-of-date too. In my last trip to Pattaya about 6 months ago the stereotypical farang resident seemed to be giving way to Indian and Russian family holiday-makers.

Given the ongoing raising of government retirement ages across Europe I think we'll see a smaller proportion of breadline farang retirees in Pattaya. Also the increasing cost of living and the long term appreciation of the baht against western currencies (which IMHO is inevitable, despite the current dip - but please let's not start a load of tit-for-tat about this as there are plenty of threads discussing this already) will make Pattaya less desirable for people living mostly on a government pension.

Re the sleazy sexpat angle, I really don't know what I think about this anymore. I certainly wouldn't want my sister, mum, wife or daughter involved in that business.

By the way Seb, surely everyone in the western world knows Gollum by now !

Thanks for posting Seb, I agree the article was very lightweight but that's a reflection on C4 journalism, not you! As someone else said, the article seems to be quite out-of-date too. In my last trip to Pattaya about 6 months ago the stereotypical farang resident seemed to be giving way to Indian and Russian family holiday-makers.

Given the ongoing raising of government retirement ages across Europe I think we'll see a smaller proportion of breadline farang retirees in Pattaya. Also the increasing cost of living and the long term appreciation of the baht against western currencies (which IMHO is inevitable, despite the current dip - but please let's not start a load of tit-for-tat about this as there are plenty of threads discussing this already) will make Pattaya less desirable for people living mostly on a government pension.

Re the sleazy sexpat angle, I really don't know what I think about this anymore. I certainly wouldn't want my sister, mum, wife or daughter involved in that business.

OMG. Someone with a brain replied.

By the way, it's Smeagol, not Gollum, if you please. smile.png

Typical sensationalist, biased report. I now for a fact that there are at least 2-3 pommie retirees that aren't drunk perverts.

Agreed........ they wanted to shock a little.

Interviewing some guy drunk in a bar and one sad person who has mental problems is hardly a good evaluation or cross section of retired Expats living in and around Pattaya.

A visit to one or both of the Expats Clubs might have presented an alternative view..... but they didn't want to do that.

Retired Expats come from all over the Western world, a large contingent of Australians for example.

The UK is failing it's elder generation..... they are often forced to live meagre lonely lives in many circumstances.

If they don't have a good circle of supporting offspring and relatives, they will have a miserable existence.

The retired Expats in Pattaya are mostly a lot happier here than they would be sitting alone in a cold little house in Sheffield with only a TV for company.

The sun shines today on Pattaya.....Thailand has allowed me to feel warm today and generally have a good life, and I haven't even had a drink yet.

I liked the last part of this - Good emotions in your post and very true for many when they think about where they are now vs what is the other alternatives.

Unfortunately news is only seen by most of the networks as being about reporting the extremes. Its not the intent or capability for most reporters to become producers of a documentary (style or content) so as a viewer might then weigh up the evidence.

If 1% of the subject has an extreme angle available then that is enough to get on the radar as being newsworthy.

• Like 2

I thought the video report was fairly illuminating. As an American, I don't see too many of my fellow countrymen, here, in Thailand. Most elderly Americans opting to retire outside the US do so in Mexico or Costa Rica. So, I've always wondered what the typical expat retiree was like. Thanks to that video, I now have a pretty clear image of what most of the British that come to Thailand are like. Nice to see the reality beneath some of these avatars on TV.

Gollum???? Who is he? That's not a UK name. Oh, I forgot, all those emigrants.

The idea behind the story is good: export the oldies, cheaper than having them at home and more fun for them in the sun. They spoiled the story with the sex/booze angle, but that was to be expected.

The Australian govt is so stingy it won't even pay the pension ( to those eligible for it at home) outside Australia ( except for a few countries, not including Thailand)

It seems to me this same "report" or something quite similar was posted awhile ago.

There arises a question whether it is worth waiting until our sunset/twilight years to fulfill our dreams.

Rethinking retirement in Thailand’s capital of sleaze - video special

Especially when the "dreams" and sleaze are on offer much closer to home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=oBA-27quq-Q

• Like 2