Auto Login From Standby

touch

I am trying to use my PC as a PVR, Personal Video Recorder.

Using my tv tuner card to grab video from my UBC box. Everything is working well except..

When I put my computer in standby and set the program to start recording at a later time it goes into sleep mode OK, but when it "wakes up" it wants me to login to my user account.

Sort of defeats the whole purpose of unsupervised recording.

I am running XP , sp 2, and have only one user account on my computer, the Admin account.

Anyone have any good ideas as to how I can get around this.

Thanks

touch

First of all, it's a Very Bad Idea to have only the admin account on your computer. After you install windows xp, the first thing you should do is create a user account with admin rights, and use that.

For the password prompt, you don't need the tweak utility. Go into Display properties, screen saver, power, advanced. Uncheck "prompt for password when computer resumes from standby".

why are you putting your computer in "standby" mode?

Follow Firefoxx's instructions (second paragraph), and then leave your PC or laptop powered-on 24/7. I presume you are at home, and have a power outlet for your computer.

Actually, he's using a desktop as a PVR, which means that he usually would not be using the computer (same as any other component of a entertainment system), but he doesn't want to go through the boot process if he wants to record something. Thus, the standby mode, which gives instant-on at the push of a button.

I think what he wants explained is the fact that you shouldn't be using only the admin account. Here is a link to an explanation:

http://security.utexas.edu/personal/windows/useraccount.html