Where to exchange Vietnamese Dong for Thai baht?

Evidently the Dong is a "soft" currency, like the Egyptian pound. Once you leave the country with some, it's difficult to unload. <insert joke here>

I've got a few million Dong left from a recent trip that I figured I'd convert while waiting for my bags in BKK but the money changers and banks at Suvarnabhumi told me to go to Bangkok but the banks I tried there, and in Ubon, said to exchange it at Suvarnabhumi.

No plans to go back to Vietnam anytime soon. Anyone know of any banks that will change it?

Try VASU CURRENCY EXCHANGE, on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 7/1, just below the Nana BTS station, across from the Subway sandwich shop. They specialize in all sorts of currencies and give a fair rate.

Edited by dddave

whistling.gif Also you will find it difficult to change Thai Baht at a reasonable rate in Vietnam.

Never leave Vietnam with Vietnamese Dong in your pocket, always exchange it at the airport in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh at whatever rate you can get for it (may not be at a good rate but the Vietnamese banks will buy the Dong back for either Dollars or Pounds). Better to use it before you leave Vietnam.

Likewise on arriving in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh do not bring Baht with you.

Convert your Baht before you leave Thailand to either Pounds or Dollars, or possibly Euro, either before you leave or at the airport.

You can exchange Baht on arrival in Ho Chi minh or Hanoi at the airport banks, but the rate is terrible.

It's best to always travel, especially between Vietnam and Thailand, carrying one of the three big currencies .... Pounds, Dollars, or Euros.

They will get you the best exchange rates ..... in Vietnam the Baht is not really wanted, and in Thailand the Vietnamese Dong is regarded as throw away money.

rolleyes.gif

whistling.gif Also you will find it difficult to change Thai Baht at a reasonable rate in Vietnam.

Never leave Vietnam with Vietnamese Dong in your pocket, always exchange it at the airport in Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh at whatever rate you can get for it (may not be at a good rate but the Vietnamese banks will buy the Dong back for either Dollars or Pounds). Better to use it before you leave Vietnam.

Convert your Baht before you leave Thailand to either Pounds or Dollars, or possibly Euro, either before you leave or at the airport.

You can exchange Baht on arrival in Ho Chi minh or Hanoi at the airport banks, but the rate is terrible.

It's best to always travel, especially between Vietnam and Thailand, carrying one of the three big currencies .... Pounds, Dollars, or Euros.

They will get you the best exchange rates ..... in Vietnam the Baht is not really wanted, and in Thailand the Vietnamese Dong is regarded as throw away money.

rolleyes.gif

I disagree - Baht is easily exchanged in Vietnam, especially in Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh and border towns with Laos to some extent as well. i wouldn't try to exchange Baht elsewhere, though it may still be possible anywhere there are tourists. The exchange rate for Baht in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh is quite good - I usually carry whatever currency I have (these days it's generally Baht as I work here and earn my money in Baht) and then exchange it over there.

In Thailand, go to Bangkok Bank branches to exchange your Dong (the rates are OK but not the best) and this should include Ubon. No other banks will take them as far as I'm aware.

Otherwise in Bangkok and Khon Kaen, Superrich will also exchange Dong too. I have exchanged Dong for Baht at both Bangkok Bank and Superrich no problems. Similarly, I have purchased Dong at Superrich before (but I wouldn't try purchasing at bank branches as they won't have any or will have to order them in which could take a while. Although for the same reasons I also wouldn't attempt to purchase any foreign currency at a bank, for that you have moneychangers including those at the airport).

So Dong are not so useless after all. Some years back you couldn't exchange them in Thailand at all and before that you couldn't exchange them anywhere outside of Vietnam. Now things have changed somewhat.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

rolleyes.gif

cant agree there have been times when baht was getting better than usd value wise in vietnam. but it not always so. better to get the exchange rates and do the sums when you are actually ready to go. both thailand and vietnam banks publish their exchange rate online and keep them up to day. dont be lazy . changing dong is possible outside of vietnam have done it in both cambodia and malaysia. rate is ok in cambodia. in thailand try the private exchanges in bkk and not the banks, same goes for changing malaysian ringit in thailand.

I have quickly scanned the above replies and do not think anybody has mentioned Super Rich. They list VND as one of the currencies they trade in. Probably best to go to one of their 2 head-offices (Rajadamri or Silom) to get the best rate. The rate quoted on their website today is 1.4 to 1.57 Bht to 1000 dong (buy/sell).

I have quickly scanned the above replies and do not think anybody has mentioned Super Rich. They list VND as one of the currencies they trade in. Probably best to go to one of their 2 head-offices (Rajadamri or Silom) to get the best rate. The rate quoted on their website today is 1.4 to 1.57 Bht to 1000 dong (buy/sell).

You didn't scan very well because I already mentioned super rich. Super Rich has numerous branches in both Bangkok and Khon Kaen and I have both purchased and sold VND there.

Interestingly, Bangkok Bank takes Lao Kip but Super Rich doesn't.

hmm yes we can see why they claim to be super rich.

• 6 years later...

Greetings everyone. I just went to Super Rich here in Lampang as none of the Thai banks are exchanging VND for baht. They definitely make you pay for their services (10% and up) but at least they do exchange it. There is another currency exchange on the same street which might have a better rate. I was pressed for time so could not find out. In conclusion, there are exchange centers in Bangkok and Chiang Mai which don't charge fees. You just have to look for them.