Cordless Screwdriver.

chiangrai

Hi,

I need to buy a cordless screwdriver.I've done me research on YouTube.

I have an electric drill hammer action etc.........

What I want is a screwdriver,high tork,for driving long screws into tough Thai wood.

So,what I've learned from YouTube is to get a screwdriver not a drill/driver.Fine.

The only thing I cant figure out is whether to get the ones with a key less chuck or a hex-head.

I imagine that the hex heads are easier to change but the attachments are harder to find in rural Thailand.Also all my other small attachments like pilot hole drill bits won't fit it.

Am I right or is there a good reason for the hex head.Which is best.

Also if anyone can recommend the best brand in Thailand and model and better again an online website where I can buy one in Thailand.

Thanks

I'm not in your area so can't help on where to buy.

A couple of years ago I did an impulse buy of a Makita rechargeable screwdriver. It looked lonely gathering dust in one of the mom and pop hardware shops plus the price was right.

It's a hex drive and came in a moulded plastic case that opened on 2 sides. Plenty of bits most of which i'll never use in my lifetime and it has a built-in light which is great when working in ceilings etc.

It's had plenty of use assembling flatpack furniture, a patio, curtain railings and other stuff.

The only downside is the torque, it will break your wrist if not careful.

Does it not come with a torque adjuster.I have one of the small pistol sized ones but when it comes to 3 inch screws in Teak it's useless.

But I forgot that it will probably come with attachments.I also hear nothing but god about Makita and they're very popular in thailand.

Any Japanese brand is going to be good. I favour Makita and Hitachi over the years. But I've also had a few no name Chinese models and they stood up to the abuse. They were commercial/professional models, not the home handyman type so I suppose they were constructed reasonably well.

I prefer the keyless chuck.

Check out the battery capacity Ah and volts to make sure you get the torque and battery longevity you need. Also consider the speed of recharging as you get models with 15 minute recharge. A spare battery (or two) always ensure you get the job done without running out of power.

Mind you, often need a break to have a beer while the battery recharges I guess. thumbsup.gif

FYI: Mactek (did I spell that right?) is same company Makita - cheaper but same guts just different in the casing and some features.

If you have a drill, that would fit up with screw driver normal or hex. Why not use that?

I see you have recommendation to not use a drill - but doesn't make sense to me. In any case, hex would be preferred if you can find the correct size hex screw.

Edited by bankruatsteve

The one I bought was a Makita cordless 6723DW with 80 piece bit set. It has a hinged handle and can be used straight or hinged in pistol grip. It doesn't have adjustable torque settings. The Singapore Makita website shows my model as discontinued but they appear readily available in the US.

Maktec is Makita's cheaper handyman range.

If you're worried about replacement philips bits etc they're readily available in most hardware shops.

Makita is the #1 best selling "premium" brand of power tools sold in Thailand. Maktec is the #1 "value brand" of power tools sold in Thailand. Maktec are only made inside Makita Manufacturing assembly plants including the new Makita Manufacturing Plant in Chonburi, Thailand. Makita Tools sold in Thailand are made in Japan, Thailand and China with a few from Europe. The Maktec Tools that I own are made in China, but have served my family well for years. Maktec and Makita have actual authorized service locations in every province in Thailand that stock genuine parts. My Thai relatives have had good luck with Maktec Tools. Makita started Maktec to sell in Asia, South America, Africa and Eastern Europe in 2002. Consumer Reports magazine has unbiased reviews of some power tools. I've seen prices can vary quite a bit on name brand power tools from store to store in Thailand.

post-20604-0-17404100-1388768014_thumb.j

post-20604-0-14435700-1388768554_thumb.j

post-20604-0-42886800-1388768590_thumb.j

I have always used a variable speed drill with hammer option and never any issues. I use power screw drivers for small assembly work, but no heavy duty stuff, that is the drill's domain. The drill's weight helps offset the torque effect :)

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk 4

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

I have three 12vdc cordless drivers, 2 Black and Decker and 1 Makita. My one B&D is over 15 years old and still "screwing" just fine (wish I could say the same for myself). I actually like the B&D better, the batteries seem to last longer. The Makita was supplied with 2 batteries and a flashlight, guess that's why there were two batteries. You need to drill pilot holes before trying to set a screw in any wood and the screws that are supplied with most things that you buy (hinges, etc.) are garbage, Throw them away. Don't use a hand drill as it has no torque setting and you will strip the head of the screw easily. And don't let a Thai near a screw driver, they will strip the head and while you're not looking set it with a hammer so the only way that you can remove it is drill it out!

• Like 2

My Black & Decker electric screwdriver has served me well for over 10 years, as well. I like that it is cylindrical shaped, and find that more comfortable for screwing than a pistol grip drill. It seems to have more torque than the cordless B&D hammer drill/screwdriver that I recently bought.